2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Fluid Systems (coolant, oil, fuel)

Old 04-25-2005, 10:07 PM   #26
mtsumedi

Re: Important Information About Mobile 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's

So, at 3,000 miles, I got a synthetic oil change. I have gotten it changed every 5,000 since then. So my question is, did I f-up by doing that. I have 12,500 miles right now.

2002 BMW 325i
1993 Toyota 4Runner SR5
mtsumedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:56 PM   #27
mach1BOSS
I Own Stangs!

On All My Cars I Always Use Syntheic Oil Without A Qproblem And I Do On Times Dont Change My Oil Until 4.000 Mies And Not 1 Problem
mach1BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:12 PM   #28
bris09

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsumedi
So, at 3,000 miles, I got a synthetic oil change. I have gotten it changed every 5,000 since then. So my question is, did I f-up by doing that. I have 12,500 miles right now.
You should be fine.
bris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:45 AM   #29
Ralph Greene

5W20 and 5W30 should flow exactly the same on start up. Both 5W. The 5W30 will have more viscosity when hot than 5W20. So don't see how it matters which you use.

However, the first principal of lubrication is to always use the lightest lubricant that will do the job (not the heaviest), so if 5W20 is the correct viscosity for my use, then 5W20 is the way to go. Oils are vastly improved over the past ferw years, and I assume the newer low viscosity oils provide the necessary film strength (for normal use).
Real Ford FR 500 18X9 Wheels
255X40X18 Michelin Tires
Steeda Sport Springs (isolators in)
Tokico HP Struts/Shocks
Steeda 4 bolt CC Plates
Poly Offset Steering Rack Bushings
Steeda TriAx Shifter
Magnaflow X/Cats
Bassani Catback with Removable Baffles
Ralph Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:51 PM   #30
OrangeMach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanK
Besides, on startup, I want oil to get to every part of engine as quickly as possible to prevent wear, which in turn, will increase tolerances.

There are ways to accomplish this and it even outperforms 0W oil. Oil can be injected on the cam and bearing just as quick as you turn the key. If your interetsed I can get you a discount maybe even a group buy.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amk.aspx

04 Comp Orange w/IUP 5spd.
DOB: 1/12/04
Adopted: 4/24/04
Sold: 11/26/05
1 of 895
K&N CAI
Magnaflow Magnapacks
Hurst Billet Plus
Motive 4.30 Gears
FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft
Moser 31 Spline Axles
PHP Intake Spacer
OrangeMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:55 AM   #31
E-MACH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1BOSS
On All My Cars I Always Use Syntheic Oil Without A Qproblem And I Do On Times Dont Change My Oil Until 4.000 Mies And Not 1 Problem

I use the Motorcraft 5W 20 because it HAS synthetic mixed in it, and it only costs $2.39 a quart at AutoZone. I figure if the motor blows up on their oil, I get a new engine. All the other brands out there gives Ford points to argue.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:04 PM   #32
wickedz
Orange Crushes...

I'm new to this and have lots to learn, but from what I hear you guys saying, full syntheitc 5w-20 it what I should be putting in my Mach. 15K miles on it now. Waiting for it to arrive from the auto carrier... what a long wait.... I'm planning on keeping it original and forever.... so I don't want to harm the baby. :-) Any advice is much appreciated.
Z
wickedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:06 PM   #33
machths
Mach 1 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedz
I'm new to this and have lots to learn, but from what I hear you guys saying, full syntheitc 5w-20 it what I should be putting in my Mach. 15K miles on it now. Waiting for it to arrive from the auto carrier... what a long wait.... I'm planning on keeping it original and forever.... so I don't want to harm the baby. :-) Any advice is much appreciated.
Z
Stay away from Fram oil filters! Welcome to the Registry and enjoy your Mach 1!

1996 Laser Red Cobra
machths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:18 PM   #34
E-MACH

Quote:
Z
I use Motorcraft 5w20 for a variety of reasons: It has synthetic in it, it gives Ford no wiggle room if the engine fails, it only costs $2.39 a quart. I believe timely oil changes are far better insurance for your motor than the high priced uber-oils. My 2¢. Have a great weekend.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:57 PM   #35
04VAMach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-MACH
I use Motorcraft 5w20 for a variety of reasons: It has synthetic in it, it gives Ford no wiggle room if the engine fails, it only costs $2.39 a quart. I believe timely oil changes are far better insurance for your motor than the high priced uber-oils. My 2¢. Have a great weekend.
Ford will have no wiggle room with any brand of oil provided that you use the correct weight...5w20.

A simple rule that I tell my friends is to decide how long they are going to keep the car and how you are going to use it. If you are going to put 150k + miles on the car then you should go ahead and use a good synthetic oil changed at normal intervals. Pure synthetics run cooler and provide better lubricating properties which result in more power and less wear. If you don't plan on keeping it that long, put regular oil in it and let the next guy worry about rebuilding the engine.
04VAMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:30 AM   #36
Mean04Mustang
2004 mustang Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04VAMach1
If you don't plan on keeping it that long, put regular oil in it and let the next guy worry about rebuilding the engine.
Thats messed up. Passing the buck.

MODS:
-JLT Ram Air kit
-Triple Gauge pod (painted to match)
-Colbalt 2 gauges (oil pres. ,water temp, fuel pres.)
-MAC Catted Pro-chambers
-PHP Intake spacer
-SLP Loudmouth II Cat-back
-Diablo Predator custom tune
-Plasma Booster
-NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
-MGW Shifter w/ red handle
-Kenny Brown Matrix Subframe System
-Ford Racing Aluminum Drive Shaft
-UPR clutch quadrant extreme w/firewall adjuster
Cant fit anymore
Mean04Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:08 PM   #37
04VAMach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean04Mustang
Thats messed up. Passing the buck.
Why is it messed up? I'm not saying to skip oil changes, just being realistic. It does the original owner no good to use synthetic oil in a car they'll only have for a few years. The average person keeps a car for 7 years. In that amount of time, you won't realize the benefits of using synthetic oil (unless you're after max power). The only thing that synthetic oil does for the average person is empty their wallet. I do know a couple of people who buy new vehicles and never change their oil until they trade it in after 25k - 30k miles...I wouldn't recommend it, but it does happen.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:27 PM   #38
wickedz
Orange Crushes...

This may be a bit off topic, but what if you only put 2000 miles on it a year? Should you change the oil a couple times that year? maybe only once? I already checked out the fuel stabilizer thread, so I'm cool on that. But I won't be putting more than a couple thousand miles a year on it. What do you guys think? I'm just trying to figure out all the things I should do to keep the car in good mechanical order as I plan on keeping it at least 30 years....
wickedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #39
03BumbleBee

I use Amsoil 5w-30, same wt. as 5w-20 at start up. Engine runs alot quieter on Amsoil than on Mobil 1, maybe just my imagination.
03BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 12:42 AM   #40
Mustanger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegt46
anyone who uses 5w-20 is asking for engine trouble. 5w-30 is the way to go

Absolutey WRONG! More damage to our new type engines using 30W...!!!! Hope you like valve clatter when you start up for the first 5 minutes!
Old 02-06-2006, 06:45 AM   #41
machths
Mach 1 Member

Quote:
This may be a bit off topic, but what if you only put 2000 miles on it a year? Should you change the oil a couple times that year? maybe only once?
No. They say 3 months or 3,000 miles. The reason they say 3 months is because of moisture getting in the oil.

1996 Laser Red Cobra
Old 02-06-2006, 08:59 AM   #42
E-MACH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustanger2
Absolutey WRONG! More damage to our new type engines using 30W...!!!! Hope you like valve clatter when you start up for the first 5 minutes!

I wonder about this one. What's the problem with using 5w30? At cold start-up they are both 5w spec for fast lubing, so what's the difference? I know the book calls for 5w20, but since the mod motors run so flippin hot, having 30w protection once it's hot seems to make a lot of sense to me. Motorcraft makes their specified semi synthetic in both multi-weights. Any input would be appreciated. Motor oil is still a dark science with so many authorities claiming cosmic wisdom.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #43
E-MACH

Quote:
Originally Posted by machths
No. They say 3 months or 3,000 miles. The reason they say 3 months is because of moisture getting in the oil.
What's the problem with Fram filters? Just curious, since I've used them on my 90 Probe GT turbo and never had a problem.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:20 AM   #44
Bill Hamilton
Mustang owner since 1970

Quote:
I wonder about this one. What's the problem with using 5w30? At cold start-up they are both 5w spec for fast lubing, so what's the difference? I know the book calls for 5w20, but since the mod motors run so flippin hot, having 30w protection once it's hot seems to make a lot of sense to me. Motorcraft makes their specified semi synthetic in both multi-weights. Any input would be appreciated. Motor oil is still a dark science with so many authorities claiming cosmic wisdom.
Today's motors like the DOHC 4.6 are built to much closer tolerances than engines in the past and 30W oil is too thick in many cases. When you get a couple hundred thousand miles on it and continue to use it as a daily driver and aren't concerned with performance as well as the engine has worn and loosened up consistently, then by all means use the heavier oil.
My 1970 Mach

2003 Ford Mustang Mach I---Black w/5-speed --- gone but not forgotten
2011 Shelby GT-500 --- Ingot Silver Metallic and 6-speed (Sold and Now Terrorizing the residents of New Zealand)

1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1---White w/351C-4v Shaker Hood scoop and T-5 tranny
2014 Shelby GT-500 --- White/red stripes and 6-speed
2019 Mustang Convertible Premium Package w/automatic

Old 02-06-2006, 09:50 AM   #45
04VAMach1

Quote:
What's the problem with Fram filters? Just curious, since I've used them on my 90 Probe GT turbo and never had a problem.
When you have them collapse on you and the engine loses oil pressure, you'll figure it out...I had one collapse in my 87 TBird a few years ago and my dad had 2 collapse on him 2 weeks ago on his loader. No problems after just changing brand of filter.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:53 AM   #46
machths
Mach 1 Member

Quote:
Less pleats means less area for trapping debris, which can create greater flow restrictions. Plus, FRAM is notorious for not using an anti-drain back design which means when you shut the vehicle off, the "dirty" unfiltered oil in the filter can drain back down into the oil pan, thus allowing "contaminated" oil to circulate in your engine. Somewhere on this website there is a thread that has a link to an "independent" study that someone did that breaks down several brands and models of oil filters and gives you the gouge on all of them. For example, the only difference between the Purolator Pure One filter and the standard Motorcraft filter is the price. They are the exact same filter, only one costs half as much. This study did say that FRAM makes one good filter, and I can't remember if it's the Double Guard, or Tough Guard, but one of those two were recommended. Interesting reading if you can find it. I used to use FRAM too, and I never had a problem with them, but the majority of the people that I've asked that are in the industry, whether it's auto repair, or parts sales, or racing, all seem to agree that FRAM is junk. Since this is my first "performance" car, I'm not taking any chances.

1996 Laser Red Cobra
Old 02-06-2006, 03:16 PM   #47
lilmachlady

Here ya go guys!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
lilmachlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #48
lilmachlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by machths
Less pleats means less area for trapping debris, which can create greater flow restrictions. Plus, FRAM is notorious for not using an anti-drain back design which means when you shut the vehicle off, the "dirty" unfiltered oil in the filter can drain back down into the oil pan, thus allowing "contaminated" oil to circulate in your engine. Somewhere on this website there is a thread that has a link to an "independent" study that someone did that breaks down several brands and models of oil filters and gives you the gouge on all of them. For example, the only difference between the Purolator Pure One filter and the standard Motorcraft filter is the price. They are the exact same filter, only one costs half as much. This study did say that FRAM makes one good filter, and I can't remember if it's the Double Guard, or Tough Guard, but one of those two were recommended. Interesting reading if you can find it. I used to use FRAM too, and I never had a problem with them, but the majority of the people that I've asked that are in the industry, whether it's auto repair, or parts sales, or racing, all seem to agree that FRAM is junk. Since this is my first "performance" car, I'm not taking any chances.
The spirit of your commentary about Fram, I agree with. Your specific points are subject to contention. Like your statement about the drainback valve. Wrong! They use one....Its just poorly designed.
lilmachlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:17 AM   #49
machths
Mach 1 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmachlady
The spirit of your commentary about Fram, I agree with. Your specific points are subject to contention. Like your statement about the drainback valve. Wrong! They use one....Its just poorly designed.
You are correct, they have an anti-drain back valve...that doesn't work. It is the FRAM Tough Guard that is the only one considered acceptable. I found the link I was talking about too...

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html

1996 Laser Red Cobra

Last edited by machths; 02-07-2006 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:13 PM   #50
juno
Marauder

Ahhh, first, the manufacturers switched to 5w-20 mainly because of CAFE .(corporate average fuel economy). Don't let them tell you anything else. Maybe they claim some other benefits, but CAFE is the main reason for the switch.

I live in a hot climate (south Florida) so I use 5w-30 RP.

They can't void your warranty for using something other than 5w-20 as long as it is API certified. The dealer can try to tell you different, but have him show you where it says that in the Magnuson-Moss Act.
juno is offline   Reply With Quote