2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 11-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
Loner

Angry Confused tranny promblem

Well i had the second gear grind just a little while powershifting and third gear lockout changed tranny fluid didnt help. So got Steeda DH quadrant,firewall adjuster, and steeda adjustable cable installed didnt work when first installed but played with adjusting it and got it to work a couple times but then it started again same promblem noticed firewall adjuster had only one bolt in it didnt like it cause it was blue so i ordered fiore adjuster got all four bolts put in and replaced steeda adjustable cable with the stock cable and still had same promblems couldnt convince myself i had a sync promblem i decide to order a new clutch got it replaced mechanic said clutch showed no wear but he got it to powershift into third said maybe it was in the pressure plate. I get the car powershift from 1st to 2nd light grind, powershift 2nd to 3rd goes right in no promblem. Wait a couple weeks before being hard on it again try it again still light grind to second didnt try third so i try again still little grind to second play with adjustment tried again same promblem with second and third gear lockout adjust little more no grind shifting to second third lockout move back where it was when i got it back from shop still no third convince my friend to let me drive his 01 GT to make sure it aint my drivin bang right through the gears my car almost made me think i forgot how to drive thats bad read somewhere that a quick release quadrant may fix my promblem i have a steeda double hook quadrant do think this might help me i still dont think its the syncs doesnt grind or pop out of gear while driving only grinds to second at high rpm while powershifting hasnt ever grinded to third just want go in im so confused i almost just want to give up and sale the car any help or opinions is much appreciated
Loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Fenixfire
Its stock....No really!

Re: Confused tranny promblem

Try not to run your words together and make some paragraphs and sentences so its alittle easier to read.......

Anyway, you dont want any aftermarket clutch cable. The only clutch cable you should be using is the stock oem cable. Aftermarket cables are just no bueno.

Check this thread:

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=39894
Old 11-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
djsmach1

welcome to crap ford calls the 3650, i have the same issues even after the quadrant and adjuster. The only way mine goes into third in high rpms is to let the shifter center in neutral and then up makes for nice granny shifting.

Interesting that you can bang the gears in your friends GT, because i owned a 02 and 04 Gt and never had these problems at all maybe its a mach thing

I know it is very frustrating, hoping mine is sold tomarrow
djsmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
my fear
oooooo snaaps....

thats wierd i used to have 2nd and 3rd lockout then i got a fiore quad and steeda adjuster now i can power shift all gears like a pro.
precision 7675 billet wheel turbo kit...FRPP 4.10...RAM Powergrip clutch...SPEC billet steel flywheel...MGW shifter...FIORE quadrant...Steeda firewall adjuster...Roy's 1/2" intake spacer...EGR delete...HPM megabite Jr. upper and lower arms.
Looks: 03 Cobra wheels...03 Sideskirts...01 Tail lights...01 Front bumper
my fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:24 AM   #5
BluBlurr32V
Bro's B4 Ho's

When you changed your fluid, what did you use?? Regular ATF? or M1M's secret sauce?

Magnapack Cat-back, Bassani Catted X-pipe, C&L intake, MGW shifter, MM FLSC, MM Alum steering rack bushings, MM S/S brake lines, MM C/C plates, MM Panhard Bar, H&R Race springs, Blistein HD's, Steeda 2pt STB, Moser 31-spline axles, and S197 posi
BluBlurr32V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:54 AM   #6
j rick kirby

This is a well known problem with the 3650 and Ford has had a TSB out on it for years.I had mine rebuilt with the upgraded/heavy duty parts per the TSB and have had no problems since.The stock shifter isn't the greatest but I'm a road race guy so lightening fast shifts are not a priority for me.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
MCHNROL
original owner

I have the Ford powertrain ESP, had the same problems and got a new transmission. Sorry to hear about it. Sounds like you may want to get a rebuild if things don't work once you reinstall your factory shift cable. A quadrant and adjuster does do wonders and saves your transmission if it isn't too far gone.
Built 5/23 Bought 10/9/03 AFS:17x9&10.5rims, MRT:PRO-M MAF, Street Smart CAI, MagnaFlowH&catbackw/Mach tips, Hood struts, FRPP:REM 4.10 w/31-sp Mosers, Alum flywheel&driveshaft, PHP:spacer, Steeda:Tri-ax, UCA,strut towerbrace, HPM:Megabitejr.LCA,subframes, T/A:Girdle, Raptor:shiftlite, SLP:linelock, UPR:Quad&Adj NGK TR55IX CDC:floormats, honeycombtail&sequentials, gaugerings, Grippermat, ShakrAirDiverter, Bullittfueldoor, SilverStripes, BuildIDplates, Tint@35%, cats 298rwhp/318tq FUN!
MCHNROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
Fenixfire
Its stock....No really!

I had this problem with mine originally. I got a fiore firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant then filled my tranny with royal purple synchromax and I never had another problem since. I now have a built d&d performance 3650(different mach tho now) and have had zero issues with this tranny.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
Loner

Used RP tranny fluid. Car has Fiore adjuster, stock cable, Steeda double hook quadrant. Do yall think maybe a quick release quadrant may help?
Loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
Fenixfire
Its stock....No really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Used RP tranny fluid. Car has Fiore adjuster, stock cable, Steeda double hook quadrant. Do yall think maybe a quick release quadrant may help?
I cant tell you that a quick release quadrant is going to help fix the problem. What I can tell you from my own personal experience is that when I put RP Synchromax in my tranny and got the fiore firewall adjuster, fiore clutch quadrant and a new stock oem clutch cable I never had anymore problems.

The thing is, your synchros may be too far gone that nothing is going to fix the problem short of a complete rebuild of your 3650. If that turns out to be the case then I would take the best road that you are financially able to. If you can swing just getting the tranny built with stronger internals then do it. Or if you are financially able then swap in a different tranny entirely. If you want to stay manual then, personally, if I had the cash I would replace my already built 3650 for a TR6060.

The other option is if you wanted to go auto then talk to Darrin on here about swapping to one of his built 4R70w's. Its all up to you on what you want to do and what is within your means.