2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 07-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
djsmach1

whats is up with third gear

took the mach to the 1/8 mile 2nite for the first time. Bone stock with slp lm1 weld ins, and 18x10.5 chromies on street tires. here is my best time. but the time is not what im concerned with. I made four passes each time the car would not go into third. Just wouldnt go in at all or would grind. Was not trying to powershift . Driving normal it goes in smooth every time. Anything past 4k rpms it will not go in. Im thinking bad syncro or could this be something else? Ticks me off cause I feel i would have had descent times considering i was coasting through in second. any help is appreciated. btw car has 68k miles and i am recent 2nd owner

60ft = 2.26
330ft = 6.23
1/8 = 9.52 @ 69mph
djsmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
CMEmach1
"281 SUPERCHARGED"

Re: whats is up with third gear

Welcome to the world of the 3650
'03 Azure Mach1 #719
Built 12/5/02, In Garage 12/13/02

The Ride is Over
It was a BLAST !
The Memories will Last Forever !
Thank You M1R !!!
CMEmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

Yeah, that is one of the problems with these transmissions in the Mach. Under normal conditions they shift fine, under race conditions they lock up. Alot of people had that fixed while their warranty was still good.

"She's An Underage Angel With A Dented Halo"-She Needs Rock n Roll---Motley Crue

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
my fear
oooooo snaaps....

get a firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant. 100 dollars and that problem will never happen again...... true story
precision 7675 billet wheel turbo kit...FRPP 4.10...RAM Powergrip clutch...SPEC billet steel flywheel...MGW shifter...FIORE quadrant...Steeda firewall adjuster...Roy's 1/2" intake spacer...EGR delete...HPM megabite Jr. upper and lower arms.
Looks: 03 Cobra wheels...03 Sideskirts...01 Tail lights...01 Front bumper
my fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:54 AM   #5
MachMeHard
My fox was easier

EXACT same thing happened to me dude, at the track and everything, bought a firewall adjuster and solid clutch quadrant, raised where the clutch engages and i dont have the problem anymore
MachMeHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
djsmach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachMeHard View Post
EXACT same thing happened to me dude, at the track and everything, bought a firewall adjuster and solid clutch quadrant, raised where the clutch engages and i dont have the problem anymore
man i hope that is my problem. worth a shot, any reccomendations on which brand? and the best place to buy? sorry still learning about mustangs as i have come from the awd import scene
Old 07-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #7
bababuschka
8-ball

http://www.lethalperformance.com/03-...ssion-c-19_403

lethalperformance.com
americanmuscle.com
bababuschka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
Mach916

i had the same problem but all i did was change my shifting technique.. i dont ride the wall to third.. i just push forward now and let the shifter center to third.. works everytime for me now..
Mach916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
Mach916

i had the same problem but all i did was change my shifting technique.. i dont ride the wall to third.. i just push forward now and let the shifter center to third.. works everytime for me now..
Mach916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
MachMeHard
My fox was easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmach1 View Post
man i hope that is my problem. worth a shot, any reccomendations on which brand? and the best place to buy? sorry still learning about mustangs as i have come from the awd import scene
i came from subys too

and personally i dont recommend UPR cuz the adjustable clutch cable they sent me snapped, but the firewall adjuster and clutch quadrant from them was awsome
MachMeHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #11
djsmach1

Re: whats is up with third gear UPDATE PLEASE HELP

Just finished installing mm quadrant and steeda adjuster with stock cable, the clutch is engaging half way. took it out for a quick test drive, rode second out to 6k casually disengaged clutch, guess what still nothing in third. was not trying to powershift or speed shift just trying to granny shift, after rpms fall below 4k third goes in the same as it did with the stock pieces. There is no grinding at all. i am going to change tranny fluid and use royal purple mixed with lucas tranny fix and hope it helps because this is really frustrating. I have owned a 02 and 04 gt and never had this problem at all. Should I also try different adjustments? I am second owner car had 62k miles when I purchased now has 68k, any advise is appreciated! I have purchased a warranty that covers all lubricated parts inside tranny hopefully it will cover syncros if that is my problem.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:39 AM   #12
mach128

i was having this problem before, not so much any more i change tranny fluided and it started shifting at the high rpm's, but mine was when the car was really hot the tranny running hot laps about the 5th time it would lock me out of gear and not let me in gear till the rpm's went down, do the tranny fluid change and then i would think syrncos are going bad, if the tranny fluid don't fix it.
mach128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #13
djsmach1

is there a certain point of engagement that maybe would help