2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 09-12-2021, 12:05 PM   #76
Rusty67

Re: 03 Mach 1 open heart surgery

The front alternator bolts are indeed the proper place to lift the front of the motor from. Ford has a bracket specific to that but I just used the chains that came with the engine support bar. It worked and I was able to get my kmember aligned last weekend. I also got most of the front suspension back together last weekend. I still need to torque the control arms, get the swaybar back on and the steering rack. I'm going to try and prime the oil system first then put the steering rack and sway bar back in. After that, I think it is just exhaust and zip typing anything loose wires/hoses out of the way and I can attempt to start the car. With any luck I'll be firing her up later today.

Sorry for the lack of pics, I'm still having problems upload pics.
Rusty67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:39 PM   #77
Rusty67

TL;DR Felpro has the application wrong for the oil filter adapter gasket. Felpro part number 70415 is wrong, use Felpro part number 70801.

OK guys so here is the deal. I went to fill the cooling system and I had a leak coming from the oil filer adapter. It turns out Felpro lists the wrong part for the Mustang. The part I got was Felpro 70415. I tried tightening it but that didn't fix the it so I took it apart. I was really confused at first because I put the gasket on the adapter and it looked like everything should seal up perfectly. I didn't think to check the block side. Instead I took the adapter off my old block. I had replaced that gasket on my old motor previously and had used a Ford gasket which worked perfectly. After comparing the gaskets I realized the Ford gasket has a larger sealing surface. I checked Felpro gasket against the block and sure enough, it was trying to seal against nothing. Well, that would do it. I grabbed both gaskets and headed to my local parts store. The pulled the same gasket I already had. The guy at the counter had been there for a while and started poking around, he eventually found me a gasket from Felpro that properly matches the factory Ford gasket. The part number is Felpro 70801.

In other news, I was able to start her up today. It was a glorious sound to hear the car run again. I still need to torque the front control arms properly and then nail the wheels back on her but next weekend I'll be able to actually DRIVE my car again.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:40 AM   #78
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty67 View Post
TL;DR Felpro has the application wrong for the oil filter adapter gasket. Felpro part number 70415 is wrong, use Felpro part number 70801.

OK guys so here is the deal. I went to fill the cooling system and I had a leak coming from the oil filer adapter. It turns out Felpro lists the wrong part for the Mustang. The part I got was Felpro 70415. I tried tightening it but that didn't fix the it so I took it apart. I was really confused at first because I put the gasket on the adapter and it looked like everything should seal up perfectly. I didn't think to check the block side. Instead I took the adapter off my old block. I had replaced that gasket on my old motor previously and had used a Ford gasket which worked perfectly. After comparing the gaskets I realized the Ford gasket has a larger sealing surface. I checked Felpro gasket against the block and sure enough, it was trying to seal against nothing. Well, that would do it. I grabbed both gaskets and headed to my local parts store. The pulled the same gasket I already had. The guy at the counter had been there for a while and started poking around, he eventually found me a gasket from Felpro that properly matches the factory Ford gasket. The part number is Felpro 70801.

In other news, I was able to start her up today. It was a glorious sound to hear the car run again. I still need to torque the front control arms properly and then nail the wheels back on her but next weekend I'll be able to actually DRIVE my car again.
glad ya got it running again. That gasket issue has bit a number of people in the ***, the differences are pretty subtle. They've got that crossed up kind of like they try to give us GT rear brake pads

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #79
Rusty67

I've called Felpro and spoke with tech. They took plenty of notes including my VIN number and cell phone. Hopefully I can get the to correct this. He is sending it up to the "higher ups". If nothing else, hopefully this fixes it for the Mach 1 listing.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:47 PM   #80
Rusty67

Last night I put the interior back together and set the initial adjustment on the clutch. This morning I put the car back up and finished torquing the suspension bolts. I also drained the trans and refilled the fluid. I took the car for a drive and it felt really off, the clutch was making terrible noises. I pulled back into my drive way and adjusted the clutch again. Took her our for a drive and put a good 40 miles on her. She is working great. The clutch is still a little bit of, I must have really been way off on the initial adjustment but I think backing it off another 1/4 turn will do it for the clutch. She does pull a little to the left, alignment needed. My front struts are blown so I'm not going to align it until I get them replaced. I am going to drive the car back down to SoCal next weekend. AC still works, power steering is fine and she held temp perfectly all through the test drive.

Oh and I found my shaker bolts when I was putting the interior back together!

Project complete!

If someone lets me know when picture uploads get fixed I can post up the back log of pics that I have sitting around.

I hope this thread has been enjoyable for you guys and I hope all the stuff I posted comes in handy for people in the future.