2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 04-02-2020, 11:24 AM   #1
FL Mach 1
Nitrous Lizard

Need some parts recommendations for rings and pistons

So about 2 years ago I spin a rod bearing on #4 connecting rod. The Mach was just an occasional driver at that point so it got parked under the carport and there she sat until I finally decided to get her back on the road.

I pulled the motor and disassembled it and took the crank and block to the machine shop. The crank has been turned .10" under on the rods and mains. They checked the block for taper and out of round and everything is within spec so they just gave it a hone to glaze break the cylinders.

Basically this is going to be a stock rebuild. I am not planning on any power adders and want to keep it the budget within reason. I am having a hell of a time finding oem style pistons and rings. From what I have researched the pistons are -3cc dished with a 1.2mm top ring, 1.5mm second ring and 3.0mm oil rings. I can find pistons and rings for an SOHC pretty easily but those are 1.5mm, 1.5mm, 3.0mm and I can't find any with the same dish volume.

Not really looking to go forged, hypers are fine with me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
2003 Azure blue Mach 1
member #13
FL Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #2
glittle75

Re: Need some parts recommendations for rings and pistons

The 1.2 top ring is an odd size. 1.5 is going to be easier to find. Honestly it doesnt matter what size the rings are as long as the pistons are matched for it. If you are just wanting some easy stock rebuild parts, Modmax would be the cheapest and easiest, aside from getting used ones.

If you want some used Mach pistons, I have 7 good ones you can have if you just pay shipping. I blew one up. They would need new rings, but you can likely find them on Modmax as well. Use one of yours and you have a full set of 8 for the cost of shipping from NC to FL. My pistons have around 40k miles on them.

If you want new, just get a cheap set from Modmax with the 1.5/1.5/3 ring pack and be done.
http://www.modmaxracing.com/product-p/22025003.htm
glittle75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
FL Mach 1
Nitrous Lizard

Re: Need some parts recommendations for rings and pistons

I appreciate the offer. I ended up getting the oem replacements from Modmax. I had a friend that had a set of 1.5, 1.5, 3.0 rings that he gave me so that ended up working out pretty good.

Just got the block back from the shop and waiting on a few things to get here and start putting it back together.
2003 Azure blue Mach 1
member #13
FL Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote