2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > NEW Mach 1 Owner Introductions

NEW Mach 1 Owner Introductions NEW Owner's, Say HI and intro yourself here!

Old 02-05-2018, 06:30 PM   #26
AlloyPony

Re: New mach owner in Arizona

I've seen more threads than I can remember about the engines in these Machs suddenly developing a loud rod knock. It's got me a bit paranoid. The 2V motors are rock solid. This Mach I just picked up has 128,000 on the clock. I REALLY hope to not have the same issue. It sucks that yours started doing this. I wonder what it is that causes these engines to fail? Design flaw? Or maintenance history.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #27
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
I've seen more threads than I can remember about the engines in these Machs suddenly developing a loud rod knock. It's got me a bit paranoid. The 2V motors are rock solid. This Mach I just picked up has 128,000 on the clock. I REALLY hope to not have the same issue. It sucks that yours started doing this. I wonder what it is that causes these engines to fail? Design flaw? Or maintenance history.
My guess, the previous owners ragging them out and not keeping an eye on the oil level. I see/hear lots of people that live around me with new coyotes, camaros, z06 etc who go wot through all the gears every time they leave and also when returning. Doesn't matter if it's 10° outside and they just started it up. Im sure theyre beating it all over town as well. Things won't take the abuse forever. After all, we're talking about 15yr old pony cars who've most likely had multiple owners by now.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:31 PM   #28
Mike03Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311-420 View Post
My guess, the previous owners ragging them out and not keeping an eye on the oil level. I see/hear lots of people that live around me with new coyotes, camaros, z06 etc who go wot through all the gears every time they leave and also when returning. Doesn't matter if it's 10° outside and they just started it up. Im sure theyre beating it all over town as well. Things won't take the abuse forever. After all, we're talking about 15yr old pony cars who've most likely had multiple owners by now.
I would agree, I'm the 3rd owner that I know of. But if you beat on something long enough....things break.

AlloyPony, that's the risk you take when buying a used vehicle.
Mike03Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:37 PM   #29
Mike03Mach

Started pulling the driver side valve cover to see what's actually going on under there. Hope to have it off by the end of the week at least. Pulled 4 of the 5 bolts on the brake booster, gotta find the bottom outboard one, I'm sure that's going to be fun. But I did start it up about a week ago. There is a wrecked one being auctioned off with 57,000 on the engine and the interior is perfect. If I can get it for a good price it'll be a great donor car.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:04 AM   #30
Mike03Mach

Finally got the valve cover off, turned the engine to see if anything was stuck/binding and everything looked good. Grabbed a flashlight and looked around some. Got to the front where the chain is and noticed a piece of plastic near the bottom. The piece of plastic looks like it was from the bottom part of the chain guide. Tried to figure out how to get it out, finally got it with a clothes hanger and needle nose. Inspected everything I could and didn't see anything messed up. Gonna start putting it back together and see what happens.