2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 02-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
Evil87GN

Auto to 5 speed trans swap....

As much as I would like to keep the car original due to it's low production #'s, I'm seriously itching for a manual trans. Makes more sense at this point to swap to a 5 speed instead of try selling the car, the buying a 5 speed Mach. One of my Mustang club members has an '04 GT 5 speed that he wants to convert to an auto, so have one available. What's needed to do the swap? Differences?

Thanks a bunch folks......
Evil87GN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
Brown7

Re: Auto to 5 speed trans swap....

-computer,
- pedel assembly(not sure if the clutch is seperate.)
-Obviously the trans/clutch/flywheel
-driveshaft??
-ew i bet the shifter assembly is a biotch as well.

not sure whats missing..ive never done it, but i am familiar with the fox body so some things might of changed. its just a big swap
Old 02-26-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
04mustang08

If ya wanna do the swap, ya need the basics: transmission, driveshaft, clutch, clutch cable, flywheel, pilot bearing, trans harness, trans crossmember, clutch pedal assembly, shifter bezel and boot, lower shifter boot. For the electronics if your friends wants to go to auto then I would swap PCM, instead having urs custom tuned.<MY opinion] really up to you. If you switch PCMs then you have to get your keys reprogrammed that way everything matches to let the PATS system let you start your car. Thats mostly everything ya need. But I did my 04 GT and I love it even more. Ran into a few problems but got it all straightened out. I might be missin few things but thats just off the top of my head. Good luck if you do it, Mine was a BIG PITA but after its all done it is definitly worth it.
04mustang08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
04mustang08

By the way if your gonna swap with the 04 GT then your gonna have to get the mach trans harness cuz they are different. I have a harness for a mach if ya need one, brand new from ford.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
04mustang08

My fault i forgot ur friends is a GT. So of course your PCM wont work in a GT and his computer wont work in urs. But if ya need a PCM I got one out of a 03 mach 5 spd.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Evil87GN

I'll let you know about the parts here shortly. Looks like there could be another round of layoffs at work in the near future, so going to wait until that blows over before doing anything.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
cobramach1
Fear begins with 'FE'

In the long run, you'd be better off selling your car and buying one with a 5 speed. You're going to spend more on the swap from little things that will nickel and dime you to death, than if you just spent a little dough to get a different car. Swaps like this always seem logical and cheap on paper but never are when you get into them.
'70 Mach 1 White/Vermillion interior, 351C 2v, Auto, A/C, needs restoration
'70 Mach 1 Calypso Coral/Black interior, 351C 4v, Auto, very rusty parts car
'69 Mach 1 Indian Fire Red/Black interior, R code 428CJ, 4spd, needs restoration
cobramach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
Evil87GN

I'm already getting that feeling...lol. I've been down the self-sustaining project road before with one of my Buicks, so know that dark territory all too well. It starts out as a small thing, then before you know it.... .

As for selling the car, it's just not fiscally feasible because I owe more than what it's worth, especially with the crappy used car market right now. If I was to sell the car, I would probably go ahead and step up to a C6 'Vette
Old 03-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
nickster
certified MACH 1 nut

you all are wrong, all he needs is the trans harness, his ecm will work.but going from a stick to an auto will ,is different
shm stage 2 cams,dynomax longtubes,2 3/4 h pipe homemade,excal2,wideband commander,proracers package,60#injectors,2400 mas air,eaton,forged motor,4# metco ring,1 of a kind pully bridge,and great #s on a stock eaton 476.88rwhp-451.74rwtq
nickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:44 AM   #10
Evil87GN

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster View Post
you all are wrong, all he needs is the trans harness, his ecm will work.but going from a stick to an auto will ,is different
I figured that was all I needed to swap, but wasn't sure. I could swap a Fox body over in no time, but the Mach is a whole 'nother ball game...lol. I'll let him know about needing an auto GT pcm, which shouldn't suprise him.

04Mustang08....how much for the harness you have? Shoot me a PM is you don't want to put it in the thread. It may be a few weeks before I have any spare $$, but at least I would know how much it's going to hurt
Old 03-03-2009, 02:01 AM   #11
machgsxr

Only if you were local. I would like to trade for an auto from my std.
machgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:11 AM   #12
Evil87GN

Quote:
Originally Posted by machgsxr View Post
Only if you were local. I would like to trade for an auto from my std.
That would be nice. Only thing either of us would need then is the correct flywheels. Only good thing about the auto Mach and a GT....same 6 bolt flywheel.