2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
01TruBluGT

Help with diagnosis

The Mach has bit sitting quite a bit as of late. I usually try to start it up and give it a work out at least once a week but over the last 8 months or so things have been crazy and it has pretty much just sat. A few weeks back I decided to get her back running and ran into a dead battery even though I disconnect it when I am not using it. Last weekend I got the battery issue sorted out and tried to start it. It would crank but it only turned over once, ran for a second or so and died out. After that it would not start again unless I left it for a few min. Again it would only run for a second or so and it did not matter if I gave it gas or not it just died. I hit the valve on the fuel rail just to see if it was getting fuel but the fuel just kind of dribbled out a little. I figured I would change the original fuel filter out, put some fresh gas in it and give it another go. No luck, I also turned the key and went directly to hit the schrader to see if it seemed that the new filter helped flow but it did not.

Today I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to the rail and with key on I got 0 PSI. Just to be certain there was no issue with the gauge I pulled it and hit the schrader and didn't even get a dribble of fuel this time. I checked the fuse under the hood and I have power there. I checked the voltage at the inertia and have power there. I checked the red/black and the brown/pink wire at the FPDM and have power on them as well. This leads me to believe that all of the sitting(only 39k miles over 13 years) that the fuel pump has taken a dump. Is there any other places to check for power to make sure that voltage is getting to the pump?

Lastly since I am going to have to drop the tank to change the pump would it be a good idea to install a terminator pump set up or dual focus pumps? I am mild bolt on, tuned, NA now but the thought of adding a power adder in the near future has crossed my mind more than a few times.
01TruBluGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Re: Help with diagnosis

Only other place to check is power right at the connector to the pump

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:16 PM   #3
VA-Mach1
Mach & Cheese

Turn the key on, and you should hear the pump prime (runs for a second or so) if you don't hear it then it is probably bad. Unless you are planning major upgrades like a supercharger I don't see where upgrading the pump is necessary.
VA-Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:26 AM   #4
NastyNate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
Only other place to check is power right at the connector to the pump
This
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #5
01TruBluGT

Ok so I have tested everything and have power all the way back. At this point the only thing it could be us the fuel pump took a dump. Fun, fun replacement time.

I am already tuned and do not see any power upgrades or re-tunning anytime soon. Should I just go with a stock replacement or try to hunt down a Focus SVT pump? If I go yo the Focus pump would I need a re-tune to make sure it isn't running rich? Anyone know a reputable place to get a genuine focus pump for a fair price? Not sure I trust eBay all that much.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #6
311-420
Can't be bridled

I bought an svt focus pump on amazon a few years back..sold it along with the nx kit I never used. Make sure you get the right part # and not a regular focus pump.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
01TruBluGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311-420 View Post
I bought an svt focus pump on amazon a few years back..sold it along with the nx kit I never used. Make sure you get the right part # and not a regular focus pump.
Was the install plug and play? Did you use the original basket or the one that came with the Focus pump?
Old 03-19-2017, 08:58 PM   #8
03Mach1BoyAdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT View Post
Was the install plug and play? Did you use the original basket or the one that came with the Focus pump?
Did this as well, plug n play and used my factory basket as the Focus basket would not fit.
Steeda Tri Ax Short Throw,Steeda Clutch Quadrant, Steeda Firewall Adjuster, Steeda Shock Tower Brace, MMR Rear Seat Delete, FRPP UCA's, Roush Stage 2 LCA's, Moser 31 Spline Axles, FRPP 31 Spline LSD, FRPP 4.10's, FRPP Aluminum DS, Swarr Rear Axle Brace, GMS Girdle, Steeda G Trac Bar, PHP Spacer, JLT RAI, Predator Tuner, 1/2" Shaker Extension, H&R SS Springs, MM C/C Plates, MAC Long Tubes, MAC O/R H Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, 17x9 & 17x10.5 Black FR500's.
03Mach1BoyAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #9
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT View Post
I never installed mine. Went eaton and had to get a bigger one. But like he said^ they drop in your basket and thats it. I don't think you even need to change anything in the tune. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #10
01TruBluGT

Been out of the mod game for a bit but I believe our system works off the FRPS, in that the ECU will up the voltage to the pump just enough to get the specified pressure to the rail. What my I am assuming is that switching out to a larger volume pump would just mean that the ECU wouldn't need to give as much voltage to the pump but my tune parameters are set at the FRPS, not pump voltage.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:25 PM   #11
jv7

I had this issue on my 97 cobra. Even after dropping the tank and putting in a new pump would run for a second then die. Turned out to be a bad pats key. If you have a spare key try it. Wouldn't hurt.
jv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:05 AM   #12
01TruBluGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv7 View Post
I had this issue on my 97 cobra. Even after dropping the tank and putting in a new pump would run for a second then die. Turned out to be a bad pats key. If you have a spare key try it. Wouldn't hurt.
For the sake of simplicity, I'm going to give it a try however I highly doubt that is the issue. I have power all the way to the pump and I even tried jumping the pump at the FPDM and got nothing.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:18 AM   #13
NastyNate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv7 View Post
Ive had this happen as well. But it does seem like the fuel pump is your problem!
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote