2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 05-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #1
01TruBluGT

Q's for anyone familiar with painting cars

I'm in the process of getting my AB Mach back into shape. No issues mechanically but the exterior needs some love. The paint on the metal is in good shape and a good day with my DA polisher and it will look like new again. The issue is all of the plastic parts.

I need to repaint front and rear bumper covers, both door handles, and since my side scoops need new paint I just decides to track down Bullit scoops for it. They will need to be painted to match when I get them obviously. Spraying it and the equipment to o so are not the issue, I have sprayed everything from multi-component industrial finishes, conversion varnishes on heirloom furniture to black lacquer on a piano. I am just not familiar with automotive paint brands and products. I have used Sherwin William's automotive finishes on some projects in the past but since this is my car I am looking for top tier products to spray it with.

Suggestions/experience please.
01TruBluGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #2
rcodemach1

Re: Q's for anyone familiar with painting cars

Sounds like you already have the skills and tools for this!
I've done some painting but while you await the experts a couple things cross my mind:
- What is brands/stores are available local to you? Maybe let that be a factor since you'll probably need to hit the store several times for supplies
- look into additional prep and/or additives that flexible parts need

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT View Post
I'm in the process of getting my AB Mach back ...

Suggestions/experience please.

'03 Mach, Oxford White, 5-spd, Eaton
'03 Mach, Black, automatic (parting out)
'98 GT, 410w, C4, Vortech

rcodemach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:46 PM   #3
01TruBluGT

I can get a wide range of brands local. I know I can get PPG, BASF, 3M, Sherwin William's, and House of Kolor for sure. Some of the places that carry these carry others as well. Selection shouldn't be an issue. Misc. supplies will be no issue either I have more supplies sitting in my warehouse than I could use in 2 lifetimes. The sanding, blocking, fill/putty are nothing new to me. I know that prep of plastic/urethane is a little different but I'm sure I can square it away. I know about flex additives for bumper covers and such but the more I read I keep seeing it pop up where with newer automotive coatings flex additives are no longer needed, some say only in the color coat, others say only in the clear? It's just a little confusing.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
AlloyPony

My car is like yours...metal body panels are in good shape overall, plastic ones covered in rock chips.

I had my front bumper painted last year and it looked amazing when I got it back. But it quickly started to chip again. The paint seems very fragile. Somebody here told me there was a Ford TSB about how to properly paint these bumper covers. I've never seen the TSB myself but you might want to look for that.

I ended up getting the clear protective film put on my front end so the paint won't continue to get worse.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #5
01TruBluGT

Not too worried about chips, I drive my truck daily so I dont drive the mach enough to worry about chips. My brother baught the Mach new in 03, I got it in 06 and I only have a little over 39k miles on it right now.

I think the factory paint, on the non metal parts is 1 step above crap to be honest. If I were a betting man I would say it's the primer under the paint that sucks which in turn compromises the top coat.