2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 03-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
rowekmr

Newbie Drivetrain Ques

Hello excuse my ignorance I just got a 2004 Mach 1 and know very little about it.
Is it true it is an aluminum WAP block? If so how much hp can it reliably handle?
The manual trans engine have a forged crank, it isn't as stout as the SC Cobra crank is it?
With its high compression ratio how much boost can it take?
At which point are the rods and pistons weak?

These are returnless fuel systems correct? At which power levels do they become restriction?

I see some swap cams but that seems expensive are they worth the expense?

My goals is a power adder and 450 rwhp. I don't know about Eaton swap or SC or if I can save my pennies a turbo kit.

Thanks
rowekmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #2
TKat13
Mach-T

Re: Newbie Drivetrain Ques

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowekmr View Post
Hello excuse my ignorance I just got a 2004 Mach 1 and know very little about it.
Is it true it is an aluminum WAP block?
Yes, factory is an aluminum WAP.
Quote:
If so how much hp can it reliably handle?
Many factors in such an answer, power is just one item, RPM it ran to, etc. I've seen 750 all day long. But, I personally found a Teksid block for their reputation to handle large amount of power. I am only talking the block here.

Quote:
The manual trans engine have a forged crank, it isn't as stout as the SC Cobra crank is it?
Same crank as the Cobra, so long as you are talking about the manual one.
Quote:
With its high compression ratio how much boost can it take?
(miss read your question... ) Not sure of the PSI limit but HP level ~450hp is safe for a stock motor that has been taken care of. I have seen people make 500 for a long time but that is getting close to the edge. Don't be afraid of the high compression aspect of it, the real issue are the rods and piston material, not the compression level. Think of it like this, low compression motors require more boost to make the same power that a high compression motor will make on boost. The trick is in the tune. I made ~750 @13ish PSI with 11:1, I think I was at 650 when I ran the 9:1s. Everything else in the motor was the same.
Quote:
At which point are the rods and pistons weak?
450-500, Yes, this is the week spot of the motor, if you do a built motor go ahead and put a billet oil pump gear in there too.

Quote:
These are returnless fuel systems correct? At which power levels do they become restriction?
Yes, it is returnless, I needed to upgrade my fuel pump when I added Nitrous but I also went E85 and that stuff is 30% less efficient, in other words, you have to flow 30% more fuel. It was just a 100 shot. A 340 LPH pump is easily controllable on this stock setup, a 465lph pump I hear is just to much for it. If you really need a 465lph pump, then you will want to go returnless anyway as you will be making a good amount of power. (I have 3 of them, lol )
Quote:
I see some swap cams but that seems expensive are they worth the expense?
Boost is the best, although I have aggressive cams, if I was just wanting 600ish HP to the wheels, I would just add a turbo and be done with it. Built motor of course and return style fuel system and leave the stock cams in. Upgrade the valve springs, etc.
Quote:
My goals is a power adder and 450 rwhp. I don't know about Eaton swap or SC or if I can save my pennies a turbo kit.
Single turbo with low boost or an eaton swap will get you that all day. If you think you will be happy with that HP level in the long run then I would just do an eaton swap.
Quote:
Thanks
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP

Last edited by TKat13; 03-10-2017 at 04:39 PM. Reason: miss read question... fixed answer
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #3
311-420
Can't be bridled

Everything Darrell said is right on. ^
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:05 PM   #4
rowekmr

Hey thanks for all the info!

It's good to hear I can get 450 without touching the long block. I read they used a cast crank in the auto trans don't really understand the logic behind that (I prefer auto) but I am glad you say mines is pretty stout stock.

If I think I will be happy with 450rwhp?!?!?!? LOL I hope I will. I know people say once you achieve once hp goal you will want more but I am limiting myself to 450rwhp to save myself from jail cells or cemetery. I briefly had a 95 GT with TFS top flow kit (300 rwhp) and I acted a fool with it whenever I had spare time so I don't want to cause myself an early demise
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKat13 View Post
Yes, factory is an aluminum WAP.

Many factors in such an answer, power is just one item, RPM it ran to, etc. I've seen 750 all day long. But, I personally found a Teksid block for their reputation to handle large amount of power. I am only talking the block here.

Same crank as the Cobra, so long as you are talking about the manual one.

(miss read your question... ) Not sure of the PSI limit but HP level ~450hp is safe for a stock motor that has been taken care of. I have seen people make 500 for a long time but that is getting close to the edge. Don't be afraid of the high compression aspect of it, the real issue are the rods and piston material, not the compression level. Think of it like this, low compression motors require more boost to make the same power that a high compression motor will make on boost. The trick is in the tune. I made ~750 @13ish PSI with 11:1, I think I was at 650 when I ran the 9:1s. Everything else in the motor was the same.

450-500, Yes, this is the week spot of the motor, if you do a built motor go ahead and put a billet oil pump gear in there too.

Yes, it is returnless, I needed to upgrade my fuel pump when I added Nitrous but I also went E85 and that stuff is 30% less efficient, in other words, you have to flow 30% more fuel. It was just a 100 shot. A 340 LPH pump is easily controllable on this stock setup, a 465lph pump I hear is just to much for it. If you really need a 465lph pump, then you will want to go returnless anyway as you will be making a good amount of power. (I have 3 of them, lol )

Boost is the best, although I have aggressive cams, if I was just wanting 600ish HP to the wheels, I would just add a turbo and be done with it. Built motor of course and return style fuel system and leave the stock cams in. Upgrade the valve springs, etc.

Single turbo with low boost or an eaton swap will get you that all day. If you think you will be happy with that HP level in the long run then I would just do an eaton swap.
rowekmr is offline   Reply With Quote