2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
Smith
It's all about the Shaker

Bra or no bra. Which do you prefer??

Ok, not what you think. I'm wondering how many of you use a bra on the front of your Machs for road trips?? I purchased a used, custom fit Colgan Bra a few years ago but have never used it. Just wondering if they work well and are safe on the car's finish??
2004 Mach 1, Competition Orange, 5-spd, (1 of 914), 2nd Owner, Mostly Stock, MCA#84554.
Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Re: Bra or no bra. Which do you prefer??

Ive never used one but if you do make sure both surfaces and perfectly clean or itll just grind any dirt into the paint. Also need to make sure its installed as snug as possible so it cant rub anything. I ended up just getting a clear bra put on

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
Mach828
Dark Knight

3M clear bra is the only way to go. Those fabric ones look beyond awful.

On a side note. No bra

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
not a gt

I had one and never installed and wind up selling on cheap , I "painted" on a bra then had Xpel 3M invisible bra installed, have it on ALL my vehicles..really the "modern" way to go!!

http://clearbraofjax.com/gallery/?album=68&gallery=54
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
Smith

I've been a little leary of using it myself. I have a 5 hr. drive to Carlisle this week and was thinking of using it. But then again, maybe not!!
2004 Mach 1, Competition Orange, 5-spd, (1 of 914), 2nd Owner, Mostly Stock, MCA#84554.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
shadowmaker

I read the supposed horror stories and people talk bad about them but I had one on a 96 camaro. It was on there for 4 yrs in all with no problems. I would take it off once a week to wash the car and put it right back on. If it rained, I would remove it and re-install when it was clear again. To be honest, sometimes I think I left it on there too long and should have had problems. But all was good to go.

Dont know how many people who talk bad about them actually have used one. Or did I just simply get lucky???

I m looking for something to put on mine as well. They sell this now that is suppose to be good for a year. Ive read mixed reviews and dont know anyone that has used it.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-90000-Paint...int+protection
shadowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmaker View Post
I read the supposed horror stories and people talk bad about them but I had one on a 96 camaro. It was on there for 4 yrs in all with no problems. I would take it off once a week to wash the car and put it right back on. If it rained, I would remove it and re-install when it was clear again. To be honest, sometimes I think I left it on there too long and should have had problems. But all was good to go.

Dont know how many people who talk bad about them actually have used one. Or did I just simply get lucky???

I m looking for something to put on mine as well. They sell this now that is suppose to be good for a year. Ive read mixed reviews and dont know anyone that has used it.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-90000-Paint...int+protection

I knew several people that used them on various vehicles and it was usually fine...I just never felt like messing with it. The people that had issues usually did one of the two things I mentioned above (just like people that pull a car cover over a dirty car)

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
4valve 4tw?

Not putting miles on your car(or in this case keeping it uber perfect looking) so the next guy can enjoy it is like... well... you know the rest.
4valve 4tw? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #9
TKat13
Mach-T

I had one way back on an 88 Turbo coupe and it scratched the paint pretty bad when driving through west Texas, dusty area . It buffed out but would never use one again. The 3M solution is worth looking into.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
Mach828
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4valve 4tw? View Post
Not putting miles on your car(or in this case keeping it uber perfect looking) so the next guy can enjoy it is like... well... you know the rest.
Is like paying for your girlfriend to get a boob job?

hahahaha. Exactly what I was thinking!

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #11
shadowmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4valve 4tw? View Post
Yea bc we want the front end looking like someone shot it with bird shot. Some of have the option to not make it a DD and like it to stay nice.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:15 PM   #12
shadowmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
I knew several people that used them on various vehicles and it was usually fine...I just never felt like messing with it. The people that had issues usually did one of the two things I mentioned above (just like people that pull a car cover over a dirty car)
It was a hassle at times. Kinda one of the reasons I have held off getting one.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:27 PM   #13
4valve 4tw?

Quote:
Yea bc we want the front end looking like someone shot it with bird shot. Some of have the option to not make it a DD and like it to stay nice.
And instead it looks like the car is into bondage?

My point still stands that you're only doing the next guy a favor(not that I'm complaining as a potential buyer) as a traditional bra is a complete oxymoron.

"I don't want my car to look bad, so I'll put this thing on it that makes it look bad."

Now if the 3M one's are easy to apply and really hard to see, that I could understand yeah.
4valve 4tw? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #14
iamkevin7

Had a few nice cars,never wanted a bra on them. I thought they were gaudy and were rough on the paint. I use mine as a daily driver 20 mi round trip and while it is a beautiful car I plan on driving it whenever I feel like. If it wears out i will restore/replace stuff as needed. It's pretty much stock and stock looking. I would like to buy my neighbors LX 5.0 trunk POS with the "mall"cam just to thrash and abuse but he wont sell it even though it has not been drove it this year.
iamkevin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #15
shadowmaker

Yea but if it looks good for the next guy, hes gonna pay more for it. I think youre missing the point. We are talking about putting a bra or whatever for long trips. I m not talking about riding it around town. A beach trip would be like sand blasting the front end of the car. I agree, not crazy about the way a bra looks but when I get tired of the ugly, I can take it off.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:40 AM   #16
iudelt89
United We Stang

On the mach no bra.

On women, looks good while its on, looks better when it comes off
Black Staggered FR500's, SSS Adrenaline Cat-Back, JBA o/r h-pipe, MGW Short Throw Shifter, H&R SS Springs, Bilstein HD's, MM Bumpsteer, MM CC Plates, Kenny Brown Extreme Subframe Matrix, FRPP Alum Driveshaft, 2000 Cobra R front brake kit, MM pan hard bar, MM LCA's, K&N FIPK Intake, Bama Tune, Shaker Diverter, FRPP 3.73s, Moser 31 spline axles, FRPP diff cover, FRPP Traction-Lok diff, Kenny Brown Brake Ducts

'04 Black 5-Speed Mach 1, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
iudelt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:43 AM   #17
WalkrTexasRngr
2003 AB Mach 1

My parents ran a Colgan Bra on the front of their 13 Taurus SHO all winter here in PA. No marks or scuffs left behind. The key is taking it off and cleaning behind it every couple weeks and making sure it's tight. I'd run one on mine to Carlisle if I had one especially a Colgan. They are the best of the best.
WalkrTexasRngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #18
wigsite

Not the thread I was hoping for from the title. Bras are a bit dated now, kind of like neon running lights or fuzzy dice from your mirror.
Dyno tuned by CRT Performance
Pro 5.0 Power Tower shifter
best 1/4 12.62 @ 108.05 mph
313 RWHP..330 TQ
wigsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #19
Smith

Quote:
Yea but if it looks good for the next guy, hes gonna pay more for it. I think youre missing the point. We are talking about putting a bra or whatever for long trips. I m not talking about riding it around town. A beach trip would be like sand blasting the front end of the car. I agree, not crazy about the way a bra looks but when I get tired of the ugly, I can take it off.
Thanks everyone, but shadowmaker hit it on the head. I'm just looking to use it for long trips to keep the bugs off and elimnate rock chips. In this case, just to Carlisle and back. Plus, I'm not keeping my car looking good for the next guy, I show the car and rock chips just don't look good on a show car. My main concern is if the Colgan Bra is safe to use for road trips??
Old 06-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #20
ShkeRttlNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith View Post
Thanks everyone, but shadowmaker hit it on the head. I'm just looking to use it for long trips to keep the bugs off and elimnate rock chips. In this case, just to Carlisle and back. Plus, I'm not keeping my car looking good for the next guy, I show the car and rock chips just don't look good on a show car. My main concern is if the Colgan Bra is safe to use for road trips??
Why not just by a can of the do it yourself 3M clear spray on bra. Peel it off when you get to the show, reapply for trip home and peel it off again. Its pretty simple and only $25-50 dollars. You could also apply it to your rear fenders for protection as well.
ShkeRttlNroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #21
vertigyn
Azure Blue Mach

Bra is safe as long as the car and bra are clean when it goes on and the fit is snug. I drove an 8 hour road trip when I bought my Mach with a bra from the seller on the car. No issues at all. I used it a few time after and never a problem.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #22
MachWonGuy
70 Mach & 04 Mach Owner

I have the full bra for mine but have only used the hood section.

Actually saved my hood a couple times. One time I was falling a friend in his GM and a sway bar link came apart...it bounced down the road and decided to hit my hood. Put a slash in the bra but didn't touch the hood.

Bra has never hurt my paint.....it does help avoid chips but if a rock wants to ruin your day it will......
Purchased Sept 24th 2008
2012 Mustang Boss 302 32V 6-Speed Race Red
Purchased June 8th 2013

Check out my Mach's & Collection at:
http://www.machwon.com
MachWonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #23
Mach828
Dark Knight

3M clear bra

VS

Regular bra

Old 06-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #24
ICANGO

I have been using them since 99 on my GT and bought one right away for Mach. Its a Colgan and I have never had a problem with them. Like earlier be sure the front is clean when you put it on. Even had one for my 1990 Isuzu Trooper (R.I.P. 2012 most reliable vehicle I ever had) when I bought that new.
ICANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #25
Lonestar77777

Cool Re: Bra or no bra. Which do you prefer??

Just like I like my women without Bra. LOL

LS
Lonestar77777 is offline   Reply With Quote