2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 07-01-2015, 04:20 PM   #101
littlemags
finally paid for

Re: How to change your 5 speed to an automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey1 View Post
Can the Mach computer be tuned to go pass 7200 like 7400-7600 or do I need a 01 cobra computer. Any pictures of the shifter
I spin mine to 7200...because power starts to drop past that....
826rwhp/720 trq -100 shot NX
9.13@154 on 100 shot
NEW- in progress...
littlemags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:47 PM   #102
Mach828
Dark Knight

Well I can't seem to get all the auto tuning tables to show up in SCT Advantage, so I went ahead and bought an 04 auto GT ecu as a back up. And if I don't need it, I'll just keep it on hand for when I do a 4.6 swap into my ranger.

The Mach 1 ecu's are too pricey, and I couldn't locate one for an auto. The GT one was $60.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #103
not a gt

I am in on this thread, keep the post/updates coming please
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:12 AM   #104
jeffrey1

The debate with going auto seems to be Manual VB or Auto VB, If you speak to 5 people you will get 5 different answers.
jeffrey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:49 AM   #105
jeffrey1

I found a 02 Auto GT that a guy local is parting out. Will the 02 auto ECU work if I want to go auto shift. What are some of the key piece I should take if I do decide on this
Old 10-21-2015, 08:16 AM   #106
Darrin
Transmission guy

If you want to use a factory ECU then I would stick with an 04.

I would grab the shifter, brake pedal assy, automatic harness, flexplate, block plate, converter access cover, yoke off the driveshaft, dipstick tube, and if he'll let you, cut out about 6 inches of the transmission tunnel in all directions around the shifter and patch that into your car since they are different.

I just got up and feel like total crap today so I probably missed at least something.

D
Old 10-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #107
Bullitt5094
Mach/Bullitt Hybred

Don't think Darrin missed anything. The only other thing I would check is be sure the headers you have on the car, if any, will clear an automatic. Stock exhaust manifolds won't be a problem, but some LT Headers can be.
'06 F250 PSD
Bullitt5094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:27 PM   #108
jeffrey1

Car has ARH headers 1 3/4 into 3" collector do I grab the Trans also what is a fair price to pay for Trans That I would send to Darin. Also 04 ECU does it have to be a Mach 1 or can be a GT

Last edited by jeffrey1; 10-21-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #109
Bullitt5094
Mach/Bullitt Hybred

You need to talk to Darrin about what you plan to do with your car and have him give you a price. On the EEC, if you plan to turn much over 6K at WOT I would go with the Mach 1 processor. It's faster and can handle running the background loop to look at the shift while turning high rpm. The GT processor wouldn't keep up when I first built mine. I had to upgrade to the SYM2. I know nothing about your headers. My 3" Collector Kooks clear.
'06 F250 PSD
Old 10-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #110
jeffrey1

Does the Mach 1 processor have to be out of a 2004 can you use the 2003 definitely spinning her to at least 7200
Old 10-21-2015, 10:47 PM   #111
Bullitt5094
Mach/Bullitt Hybred

That I can't answer. Jerry Wroblewski had me go directly to the SYM2. I didn't experiment with anything else. The other path is to go with the new Baumann Quick 4 unit and leave your current EEC as-is. That's what I am running in my car now and it does things the stock EEC is incapable of. Plus it would seriously simplify your transition.
'06 F250 PSD
Old 10-22-2015, 07:10 AM   #112
Darrin
Transmission guy

Man, since Bob brought it up, it's nice to have an aftermarket controller that I'm comfortable with finally. Thanks to him for having the initiative to try something new. He called me about it and I strongly warned him against it based on past experience with any aftermarket controller. I told him that he was going to burn it up. I am happy to say that I was wrong. So much so that I became a dealer for them. Anybody that knows my previous stance on controllers will know how much that says.

But honestly I'm not so sure the EEC has to be from a Mach. I have been looking at these computers for a long time and I'm about convinced that the 04 GT has the same processing capabilities from everything I am seeing.

D
Old 10-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #113
jeffrey1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
Man, since Bob brought it up, it's nice to have an aftermarket controller that I'm comfortable with finally. Thanks to him for having the initiative to try something new. He called me about it and I strongly warned him against it based on past experience with any aftermarket controller. I told him that he was going to burn it up. I am happy to say that I was wrong. So much so that I became a dealer for them. Anybody that knows my previous stance on controllers will know how much that says.

But honestly I'm not so sure the EEC has to be from a Mach. I have been looking at these computers for a long time and I'm about convinced that the 04 GT has the same processing capabilities from everything I am seeing.

D
That was going to be my next question. Are Trans controllers any good are they easy to tune. There are a few company's out there. So if I went with a controler I leave my ECU do I sill need a auto Trans harness. This sounds like it might be the way to go.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:07 AM   #114
jeffrey1

Just went on there web site controller $585 plus harness $160 Darrin if I do this over the winter you will be getting my business
Old 12-02-2015, 08:50 PM   #115
VA-Mach1
Mach & Cheese

Digging up a old thread vs starting a new one. I'm thinking real hard about converting to auto with full manual VB or after market controller.

I found a 01 V6 donor. Will most major parts work? Trans, dip stick, driveshaft, shifter ect? I know I have to have a brake pedal from a GT or Mach with hydroboost.

Only parts I can think I will need beyond the V6 donor would be:

Brake pedal
Trans cooler
8 bolt flex plate

I thank you for any help you can offer.
VA-Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #116
Darrin
Transmission guy

The transmission for the v6 is the small block bolt pattern and won't bolt up to a modular. Assuming you have a modular that is.

D
Old 12-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #117
Darrin
Transmission guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey1 View Post
Just went on there web site controller $585 plus harness $160 Darrin if I do this over the winter you will be getting my business
As an update, I have had a couple of customers install these and they love them. Easy to use and work awesomely.

D
Old 12-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #118
VA-Mach1
Mach & Cheese

Quote:
The transmission for the v6 is the small block bolt pattern and won't bolt up to a modular. Assuming you have a modular that is.

D
Ah, that's not good news. Yes I have a mod motor. 03 Mach 1. I've been searching but it's hard to find real info on the bell housings. Everything I have read so far says the 00-04 trans are the same but I guess they are talking about the internals.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:22 AM   #119
Darrin
Transmission guy

Yeah, it's tough trying to find accurate info on the web because so much of it isn't. For example, the 99-02 transmissions are pretty much internally identical. Things changed some in 03 and again in 04 with the 04 being the best. At least for anyone with a 99 or newer. Those with 98 or older vehicles can't use the newer transmissions because of changes to the output shaft. For you guys I would definitely go for something 04 or newer. But, with newer know that you will have to change at least the manual lever because they won't be from a Mustang.

For good advice it's not the best idea to just read. You did the right thing by asking. Even then you have to be careful though. It's always a good idea to make a few calls to people who work on these regularly. Most will take the time to help you.

D
Old 12-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #120
VA-Mach1
Mach & Cheese

I ditched the v6 donor for the above reasons.

Found a possible Marauder donor.

Questions are:

Will the ECM/ECU plug into the Mach and run the automatic trans?
What do I have to do to get the PATS going if the Marauder ECM will work?
What else might I be overlooking?
Old 12-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #121
Darrin
Transmission guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Mach1 View Post
I ditched the v6 donor for the above reasons.

Found a possible Marauder donor.

Questions are:

Will the ECM/ECU plug into the Mach and run the automatic trans?
What do I have to do to get the PATS going if the Marauder ECM will work?
What else might I be overlooking?
Computer won't work. Different hardware.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:01 PM   #122
VA-Mach1
Mach & Cheese

Anyone have links (that work) to info on building a od, and tc lock up reset relay like the fb performance? I'd like to build my own.

Or. If I just wire each to a manual switch, will the tc automatically unlock if I turn off the od?

I'm interested to know exactly what happens durring down shifting with manual of and 19th swithes.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #123
Darrin
Transmission guy

Ok, I don't have the circuitry drawn up, but I know what you have to do.

Find a pressure switch that fits into the direct clutch pressure test port on the transmission as follows. The contacts need to be normally open, close with pressure and open as the pressure drops past a certain point. I unfortunately do not know what that point is.

You need 2 momentary switches for OD and lockup.

You need to design circuits using relays to hold both/either OD and lockup only when the contacts are closed on the the pressure switch and the respective momentary switch button has been pressed. The circuits need to release if either their respective button is pressed again or the pressure switch drops out.

So what you have are 2 independent holding relay circuits that are activated with momentary switches and powered through the pressure switch.

I truthfully just find it easier to buy the kit from Fred. Particularly because I feel that my time is worth more than what it would take me to build my own compared to what he sells them for. And, he has a proven setup that comes with the correct pressure switch for the job.

If you figure out what the right pressure switch is please post it up. That info would be handy for others trying to do the same thing as you.

D
Old 12-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #124
VA-Mach1
Mach & Cheese

Quote:
Ok, I don't have the circuitry drawn up, but I know what you have to do.

Find a pressure switch that fits into the direct clutch pressure test port on the transmission as follows. The contacts need to be normally open, close with pressure and open as the pressure drops past a certain point. I unfortunately do not know what that point is.

You need 2 momentary switches for OD and lockup.

You need to design circuits using relays to hold both/either OD and lockup only when the contacts are closed on the the pressure switch and the respective momentary switch button has been pressed. The circuits need to release if either their respective button is pressed again or the pressure switch drops out.

So what you have are 2 independent holding relay circuits that are activated with momentary switches and powered through the pressure switch.

I truthfully just find it easier to buy the kit from Fred. Particularly because I feel that my time is worth more than what it would take me to build my own compared to what he sells them for. And, he has a proven setup that comes with the correct pressure switch for the job.

If you figure out what the right pressure switch is please post it up. That info would be handy for others trying to do the same thing as you.

D
Thank you. What you said is also how I understood it from my searching today. What I don't get is how to put that info into a working item. I wish I could find a simple diagram that shows which wire goes where on which relay ect, ect,. I have plenty of mechanical and soldering skill but lack the skill of reading a electronics engineering description/diagram. I did find a pic but its to technical for me to understand.

I enjoy building and modifying. The only thing stopping me from buying the FB kit is the cost of it along with the cost of making the trans full manual is to close to the cost of a Baumann controller. If I can make a FB unit myself with relays, and wires I already have laying around that would change my mind on which way to go.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #125
Darrin
Transmission guy

I think either way it's less to go auto now. The Baumann controller with harness is less than just the TB valve body.