2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Body, Chassis & Interior

Body, Chassis & Interior Body, Chassis and Interior mods/discussions

Old 09-30-2003, 04:01 AM   #1
Bart

Interior Accents - IUP Paint

I wanted to try something to tie the color of the seat stripe, IUP and door inserts together, without being "overdone". I bought some used door inserts and had a local paint supplier mix some 2003 Ford Medium Gray Metallic interior paint. The match is very good with the IUP and I really like the look. It ties it all together nicely and was easy to a paint. Plus, I still have the original inserts if I want to got back.

The paint is a PPG product made for painting plastic and uses a reducer/hardner for durability. I painted them myself with a $6.00 pressurized painter and it was a breeze. The paint seems very durable (likely due to the hardner) I just got them in and want to look at them for a few days. I can get the paint code and post it if anyone would like it.

Mach on!
Attached Thumbnails
accents1.jpg  

Last edited by Bart; 09-30-2003 at 04:31 AM.
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 04:04 AM   #2
Bart

Here is a closeup...
Attached Thumbnails
accents2.jpg  
Old 09-30-2003, 04:16 AM   #3
281CJ Mach1
Blaise

Looks really good Bart. My Mach is a non-IUP car and I've been thinking about painting it to look like the IUP. At least now I know what paint to buy if I decide to. :THUMBSUP:
- MGW Shifter
- Solid axle with 3.73s
- 18" DD FR500s w/ 275/35 and 295/35 Kuhmo MXs
- BilletFlow 2.93 upper and 4 idlers
- Diablo Predator. Tuned by James@RWTD

11.8 @ 120 w/ the old IRS on 275/50-15 Nitto DRs.
281CJ Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 07:37 AM   #4
Yajtsa

Looks Great! :THUMBSUP: I painted the interior of my V6 and I thought that I'd keep this one stock for now. Seeing yours has got me thinking...
Steeda Strut-tower Brace, Steeda Adj. Rear Sway Bar, MM Full Subframe Connectors, StangSuspension Springs, Tokico 5-way Adjustable Struts/Shocks, Buncha Poly bushings, MGW Shifter, '03-'04 Cobra Front Fascia

Death - its nature's way of telling you to slow down
Yajtsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:09 AM   #5
Totoland Mach
Wax-a-holic

Looks great! My DSG came without the IUP as well. I think the paint is a nice accent. If you have the paint number, please post it. Also, did you have a shop do the spraying?

Thanks.
Totoland Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:14 AM   #6
Starsky

I like it. Not overdone. Paint me a couple and I'll put them in mine
03 Torch Red Auto #451655
Mods:

MGW interior trinkets
"281" hood graphics
Visus Louvers, "Mustang" inserts
Tint, JbL Tweeters
side roof panel emblems
MRT H PIPE MAGNAFLOW CATBACK
MRT BLACK CHROME ROLLED TIPS
stars and stripes pony
Mach 1 Scuff Plate
MGW Auto "T" handle,
4.6 hi performance emblems
Honeycomb trunk panels
AFS 17X9's on rear
SCT chip
4.10 FMS gears
C&L complete intake setup
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 08:59 AM   #7
POLSMACH03

Hey Barry are you sleeping in the back seat??? With the car cover on I just assumed you found a new bedroom!!!!

POLS

I like it by the way.
POLSMACH03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 02:08 PM   #8
Bart

Thanks All!

Hi Steve - it was about 10:30 here and I wasn't sleepy, so decided to take a few shots and post them. Fortunately, my wife still likes my warm body.

Specifics on the paint: PPG #902178 - 2003 Ford Car & Truck Interior " Medium Gray Metallic". It's Deltron DIU Interior Basecoat Color that does not require clearcoating.

The Sprayer I used: http://www.prevalspraygun.com/
I bought mine from the paint supplier. It was only $4.79 as you don't need all the extra jars, etc. One air source is good for about 12 ounces of paint.

I did ask if they could just put the paint in a spray can. They can't because to work properly this paint needs to be mixed with a reducer/hardner. The paint when mixed with the hardner has a "working life" of about three hours. Consequently, the sprayer is the perfect choice. I just had them mix up a 2oz bottle of touch up and that was plenty. Clean the part well (I did not sand them, although you could very lightly with about 600 grit). Then just shake the paint well to agitate the metallic, put about 1/2 oz in the sprayer and add the reducer (3/4 oz). Gently shake to mix and then spray. Be sure to keep the sprayer pretty level (in other words, hold the part up) because with the small amount of paint in the sprayer, if it's tipped too far while spraying, it will stop feeding the paint. Keep a distance and mist the paint on, as the IUP paint is put on pretty dry. Actually, it's very easy, despite all the words I just used. Lastly, clean the sprayer well with thinner and you will have it for future use.

Originally, I thought of spraying other interior trim pieces as well but decided not to (at least for now) because I did not want to have that "Oh, he painted all that" look. I was hoping for it to look sharp and like it came that way from the factory. To me, that look is there so I'm very likely done.

Best to all,

Bart ( Barry)
Old 09-30-2003, 04:07 PM   #9
mvp
I'm not fat i'm big boned

how many coats of paint did you do?could you do more and i'll buy a set from you since you did such a good job?looks excellent,i've been wanting to do do that
slp catback,
tint & crap
mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 04:19 PM   #10
340.29m/s
Slooooooooow

hehe,

If you are looking to make a little money on the side I have a feeling you could sell quite a few of those, atleast from the members on this site.

I realize this would be pretty easy for a person to do on their own, but it is all abotu the laziness factor :p

Either way, it looks great!
Moser 31 Spline Axles
FRPP 31 Spline Posi
MRT Catted H-Pipe
340.29m/s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 04:28 PM   #11
Bart

Quote:
Originally posted by mvp
how many coats of paint did you do?could you do more and i'll buy a set from you since you did such a good job?looks excellent,i've been wanting to do do that
Thanks!

I just used two coats because I wanted to show the texture of the plastic. I let it dry overnight and then put them in. The paint seems very durable. I tried to scratch it with my fingernail (in a place on the underside) but basically could not make any impression.

It's really easier than you think. The key is not too much paint. Just mist it on from 10-12 inches till it just starts to look wet. If you mess one up, let it sit for several hours, sand it lightly and then paint it again. The inserts were just $10.00 each at the wrecking yard. If you have never done it before, maybe get an extra one and practice with that. Basically, if you can paint with a spray can, this is just as easy.

I'd be glad to help but would suggest you give it a try first.

Last edited by Bart; 09-30-2003 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:08 PM   #12
70Mach03
machaholic

Bart, that looks great! Definately ties in with the IUP & seat stripes.
Thanks for posting the paint info.

Jim
Delivered:12/9/02
70Mach03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 07:23 PM   #13
Black99GT

Has anyone ever painted the dash? On my 99 GT I have the tan interior that includes a brown upper dash, which is not exactly my favorite. So I've been wanting to paint it, probably the dark charcoal color that is an OEM option using this: http://secure.50resto.com/acb/stores...ategory_ID=684
Who thinks what of this plan? Would the surface of the dash accept new paint as well as the plastic of the door panels?
Thanks for the input guys!
Black99
Black99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 01:48 AM   #14
351c.i.d

Bart that looks really good! I wanted to do the same thing to mine, but didn't want to risk mismatching the paint. I also want to do the mustang script on the passenger airbag cover as well. Thanks for posting the paint #.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:35 AM   #15
Bart

Quote:
Originally posted by Black99GT
Has anyone ever painted the dash? On my 99 GT I have the tan interior that includes a brown upper dash, which is not exactly my favorite. So I've been wanting to paint it, probably the dark charcoal color that is an OEM option using this: http://secure.50resto.com/acb/stores...ategory_ID=684
Who thinks what of this plan? Would the surface of the dash accept new paint as well as the plastic of the door panels?
Thanks for the input guys!
Black99
I'm not a pro painter for sure but I would not recommend that product. I beleive it's thin and somewhat hard to paint as it runs easily. Plus it does not use any hardener, so it's durability is reduced quite a bit. On the other hand, I can heartily recommend the PPG product I used. It was very easy to spray, did not require any extra special prep and, due to the hardner should last a very long time. I'm sure they could mix you up the exact color you want. The paint supplier said this product is widely used for interior color changes, so it should work just fine on the dash. I'd imagine one thing to be super careful about on the dash is to make absolutely sure it's clean and has no protectant or stuff on it. SEM makes a spray on product to help prepare plastic and vinyl for painting that you may want to check out. I did not use it but have heard it works well.

Good luck!

Last edited by Bart; 10-01-2003 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:37 PM   #16
Black99GT

Thanks Bart I appreciate the input!
Black99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 03:36 PM   #17
SnowDeath

Where did you buy the paint from?
SnowDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 07:45 PM   #18
Bart

Paint Supplier

Most any paint seller in your area that sells PPG products should be able to fix you up. I only had a two ounce bottle mixed up and it was enough to do at least two sets of door inserts.

Just make sure you ask for the hardner too and also thinner for cleanup.

Specifics on the paint: PPG #902178 - 2003 Ford Car & Truck Interior " Medium Gray Metallic". It's Deltron DIU Interior Basecoat Color that does not require clearcoating. With the hardner it seems to be very durable. I don't have even a mark on ours so far.

I probably mentioned this before but I'd suggest you get a set of door inserts from a local wrecking yard (about $10 each). That way you'll always have the originals. Altohough I have no desire to change them back, it just might be nice in fifteen years to have saved them.

Take care and have some fun.

Barry ( Bart)
Old 12-13-2003, 08:08 PM   #19
03redmach

Thumbs up

Bart - thank you so much. My car came w/o the IUP and I have been wanting to paint the trim around the radio / AC and base around the shifter.

Your help will make this project much easier.

Thanks a bunch!
Rafael
03redmach
03redmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 08:11 PM   #20
JeffreyDJ
Born to be (almost) Stock

I'd like the door inserts painted, but I'm such a clutz with stuff like that, I'd screw it up. I heard Ford sold a set that matched the interior IUP. Anyone know if thats true?
Borla Stinger, K&N filter, resonator plug. That's it, for now.
View My Mach
JeffreyDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 12:10 AM   #21
CMcCarthy
Former Mach 1 owner

The factory ford stuff is for the panels behind the inserts. they are originally from the 1999 35th anniversary cars, which had the black and silver interiors.

CMcCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 02:40 AM   #22
Bart

Quote:
Originally posted by 03redmach
Bart - thank you so much. My car came w/o the IUP and I have been wanting to paint the trim around the radio / AC and base around the shifter.

Your help will make this project much easier.

Thanks a bunch!
Rafael
03redmach
You're quite welcome. That's what makes this site so great - all the people that care and share with others. :THUMBSUP:
Old 12-15-2003, 11:39 AM   #23
somckinney

Anyone got a part number for the silver 35th anniversary panels?
somckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 10:13 PM   #24
fritomach

Bart, I just wanted to know how close the texture of the panels are to the centre stack on the IUP? I have been wanting to do this since I bought the car, but wanted to make sure that I could find something that matches exactly in both color and texture. The pictures you posted look awesome!
fritomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:26 PM   #25
darkshadowmach

I was just looking the other day and noticing how all the IUP items are on the driver side. This would be the perfect fix to give the interior a more balanced look.
I would be willing to buy some completed inserts, but I will give it a try myself.