2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Best Mustang Parts

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2006, 07:47 AM   #51
slow.04
Registered User
 
slow.04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: md
Posts: 220
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

u guys are all wet about gears in a auto to a manaul . if u had 4.10 in a manaul you would need to go with 4.30 and a 3000 rpm stall in a auto . to get the same feeling as the 5 speed with 4.10
__________________
4.30 gears,moser 31spline axles , motorsport diff cover, welded axle tubes ,hpm lower control arms,adjustable upper arms, bfg drag radial, bassani cat back, bassani off roads with cats , under drive pulley k.n air filler, perdator , a little nitrous,cobra fuel pump assy. php intake spacer b&m hammer shifter pi.converter assy lentech valve body ,window tint 20%. jon lund tuned .
slow.04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:50 AM   #52
SHKR281
USCG
 
SHKR281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 1,458
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

I dont know if this matters but i was bored and put in 275/40/17 in the rpm calculator. And the Mach1 trans gear ratios. To see how right this is, and with 3.55s the shift points where at these mphs 43, 73, 111, 147, thats redline for 1, 2, 3, 4. and with 4.10s 37mph, 64, 96, 127. I just wish i knew how tall in inches my tires/wheels were. Because 4.10s look good but on a taller tire, i think 4.30s would be great for a track focused car. 4.30s shift points were, 35, 60, 91, 120.

But my question lies in, what if you had enough HP with 4.30s to trap higher then 120, then youd have to shift into 5th before the traps? Or get a taller tire and how much does a taller tire help?

I just never saw the point of people not liking gears. Im in NY most speed limits are 55 or NJ 65 is the most i see. with 4.56s at 70mph your at 2500, at 65mph its 2,400, 60mph its 2,200 and 55mph your back to 2k rpms. I know everyone doesnt go the speed limit. Im not saying i do or most the NY driver son the thruway. But its nothing soo insane that makes the car unstreetable because of how low our overdrive is. A lesser gear like 4.10s would be even less. So to sum it all up, I give thumbs up to gears. Untill im heavly boosted ill be behind at least 4.10s, after boost ill try 3.90s and lower.
__________________
2004 Oxford White Mach1 M6 IUP "SHKR281"

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by SHKR281; 07-29-2006 at 03:10 AM.
SHKR281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:36 PM   #53
Fosters
LS1-stock
 
Fosters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 1,550
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp3nis
I dont know if this matters but i was bored and put in 275/40/17 in the rpm calculator. And the Mach1 trans gear ratios. To see how right this is, and with 3.55s the shift points where at these mphs 43, 73, 111, 147, thats redline for 1, 2, 3, 4. and with 4.10s 37mph, 64, 96, 127. I just wish i knew how tall in inches my tires/wheels were. Because 4.10s look good but on a taller tire, i think 4.30s would be great for a track focused car. 4.30s shift points were, 35, 60, 91, 120.

But my question lies in, what if you had enough HP with 4.30s to trap higher then 120, then youd have to shift into 5th before the traps? Or get a taller tire and how much does a taller tire help?

I just never saw the point of people not liking gears. Im in NY most speed limits are 55 or NJ 65 is the most i see. with 4.56s at 70mph your at 2500, at 65mph its 2,400, 60mph its 2,200 and 55mph your back to 2k rpms. I know everyone doesnt go the speed limit. Im not saying i do or most the NY driver son the thruway. But its nothing soo insane that makes the car unstreetable because of how low our overdrive is. A lesser gear like 4.10s would be even less. So to sum it all up, I give thumbs up to gears. Untill im heavly boosted ill be behind at least 4.10s, after boost ill try 3.90s and lower.
usually get a taller tire. however, by the time machs make power to trap higher than 120, they'll have a healthy power adder, and whoever did that decision probably didn't go with 4.30s or plans on putting lower gears on it... guess it depends just how far above 120 they are. shifting into 5th would most likely kill your time and make you drop below 120 :p

as for the 4.30s being for a track focused car, i disagree. mine's a daily driver, and it'll be a while till I max out these gears with 120 mph traps...
__________________
2013 gt - TBD
2004 mach1 - 12.31@110.17, 1.645 60' - SOLD
Fosters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:53 PM   #54
SHKR281
USCG
 
SHKR281's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 1,458
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosters
usually get a taller tire. however, by the time machs make power to trap higher than 120, they'll have a healthy power adder, and whoever did that decision probably didn't go with 4.30s or plans on putting lower gears on it... guess it depends just how far above 120 they are. shifting into 5th would most likely kill your time and make you drop below 120 :p

as for the 4.30s being for a track focused car, i disagree. mine's a daily driver, and it'll be a while till I max out these gears with 120 mph traps...
Ya I knew the taller tire helps, i just didnt know how much an inch does. Or how Tall our tires are from ford. I know top of 4th is where you want to be, so instead of checkng out what mph top of 5th what they did. (because they were checking the topend lose) i checked out 4th. You fixed up what i wanted to say about 4.30s and 4.56s being more of a non power adder gear. I didnt mean you cant daily a car with 4.30s i checked out 5th gear at a bunch of different mphs to show more rpms. But i did make it sound like that, sorry.
__________________
2004 Oxford White Mach1 M6 IUP "SHKR281"

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote. -Benjamin Franklin
SHKR281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:24 AM   #55
Fosters
LS1-stock
 
Fosters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 1,550
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp3nis
Ya I knew the taller tire helps, i just didnt know how much an inch does. Or how Tall our tires are from ford. I know top of 4th is where you want to be, so instead of checkng out what mph top of 5th what they did. (because they were checking the topend lose) i checked out 4th. You fixed up what i wanted to say about 4.30s and 4.56s being more of a non power adder gear. I didnt mean you cant daily a car with 4.30s i checked out 5th gear at a bunch of different mphs to show more rpms. But i did make it sound like that, sorry.
a 28" tire vs a 26" tire will be the rough equivalent of going down 1-2 steps... with 4.30s it's more like 3.90s if i'm not mistaking.

too lazy to do it now, but here, you can use this, find a 28" tire size, and plug it into the first calculator:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
__________________
2013 gt - TBD
2004 mach1 - 12.31@110.17, 1.645 60' - SOLD
Fosters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 12:38 PM   #56
mach18604
Registered User
 
mach18604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lyndhurst, Ohio
Posts: 2,287
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

So 3:73's or 4:10's in a 5spd mach???????? For street use only.
mach18604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:14 AM   #57
rcodemach1
Registered User
 
rcodemach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: san diego, ca
Posts: 1,442
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach18604 View Post
So 3:73's or 4:10's in a 5spd mach???????? For street use only.
On the street, 4.10s feel great, except you may find you are doing the 1-2 shift before you get across an intersection during normal driving. That can be annoying. So 3.73s might be a good compromise for a street car, but the small difference over 3.55s is barely worth it, unless you are doing the work yourself. Neither the 3.73s nor the 4.10s will make you quicker in the 1/4 mile, because they cause a 3-4 shift before the traps. So if you are ever running a bolt-on, non-power adder car at the track, stick with 3.55s or go all the way to 4.30s.

With all that said, with a power adder, 3.90 or 3.73s are about right. I removed my 4.10s in preparation of adding a Vortech. Now that the blower is on, I see that I need a bit more gear than the stock 3.55s. The car pulls extremely hard, but you have to be going 80-100 mph to get that freight train feel. With a bit more gear, I think that will happen at more sane speeds, say in the 60-80 range. For instance, my car walks all over my buddy's '04 Cobra, but not until we get to about 80-90 mph. Until then we are fairly close from a roll (off the line I get him easily then never look back).

So the short version from my perspective:
mild bolt-ons, no track: 3.55, 3.73, 3.90, or 4.10
mild bolt-ons, no power adder, some track use: 3.55 or 4.30
cams, headers, ported heads, possible stroker, no power adder, street & track: 4.10
stock longblock + power adder: 3.90s or 4.10s

Fire suit on.
__________________

'03 Mach, 5-spd, Eaton swap
'98 GT, 410w, C4, 6.84@100 in the 1/8th

rcodemach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:30 AM   #58
01TruBluGT
Registered User
 
01TruBluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,231
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

Somebody might want to double check my math here but going from a 26" tire to a 28" tire is roughly an 8% increase. So if you up the tire by 8% you drop the gear by 8% so that would effectively turn 4.30's into the ballpark of 3.90's. Closer to like a 3.98 so I guess we could say that 4.30's with a 28" tire would put you between a 3.90 and a 4.10.

Some reason that just seems a bit off so please someone double check my math and let me know if I screwed it up somewhere.
01TruBluGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:19 PM   #59
torchredmach
Stock Gatorbacks > Slicks
 
torchredmach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 1,441
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Greene View Post
But these gears require an extra shift at the strip VS 3.55's, offsetting some of their advantage.
Not if you are already shifting into 4th with 3.55's, which I am doing and I'm stock.
__________________
2004 Torch Red Mach 1 w/ Al Papitto 32-Valve 5.4L Jon Lund Tuned for E85

First '13 GT500 running on ethanol and stock fuel system.
World's Fastest Standing Mile Stock Supercharger GT500 - 197.2mph Texas Mile 3/22/2014
www.facebook.com/jordanweirracing
torchredmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:55 PM   #60
Aerowrench
Registered User
 
Aerowrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 297
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

[Why wouldn't you do a full throttle run in overdrive to get top speed? I bet it would be around 160+. I know you don't need overdrive on the drag strip.]


Powershifting into Overdrive is risky. Your trying to overdrive the transmission output shaft at full power...This takes Torque! Every bit the engine can muster to spin it faster than the crank. I have a friend with a built 300Z twin-turbo who blew his motor doing just that. Ease it into 5th or 6th, then roll on the throttle till your floored. Overdrive is not intended for accelleration.
Aerowrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:35 PM   #61
rcodemach1
Registered User
 
rcodemach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: san diego, ca
Posts: 1,442
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchredmach View Post
Not if you are already shifting into 4th with 3.55's, which I am doing and I'm stock.
Pretty nice MPH in the 1/4 for "stock"

__________________

'03 Mach, 5-spd, Eaton swap
'98 GT, 410w, C4, 6.84@100 in the 1/8th

rcodemach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 12:22 AM   #62
torchredmach
Stock Gatorbacks > Slicks
 
torchredmach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 1,441
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcodemach1 View Post
Pretty nice MPH in the 1/4 for "stock"

Thanks! I did have the Cat-back though, but close enough
__________________
2004 Torch Red Mach 1 w/ Al Papitto 32-Valve 5.4L Jon Lund Tuned for E85

First '13 GT500 running on ethanol and stock fuel system.
World's Fastest Standing Mile Stock Supercharger GT500 - 197.2mph Texas Mile 3/22/2014
www.facebook.com/jordanweirracing
torchredmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:35 AM   #63
Smoke4.6
A Race? When & Where!!!
 
Smoke4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Monroe,La
Posts: 29
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowMenace View Post
If you had an auto I'd say 4.10s...with a manual, I'd say 4.10s aren't enough. go with 4.30s
Why would you say 4.10's with a manual wouldn't be enough?Why the 4.30's?
Smoke4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:22 AM   #64
YellowMenace
Registered User
 
YellowMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Schertz, TX
Posts: 2,640
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke4.6 View Post
Why would you say 4.10's with a manual wouldn't be enough?Why the 4.30's?
I would say 4.30s for an auto if we didn't have to turn off OD to make a full throttle pass. With a manual, you effectively have two more gears than we autos do.
__________________
Zinc yellow NMRA Factory Stock configuration Coyote 5.0 engine, FRPP Control Pack and a bunch of other stuff. Best ET in this configuration 10.693@123
YellowMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:11 AM   #65
Smoke4.6
A Race? When & Where!!!
 
Smoke4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Monroe,La
Posts: 29
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosters View Post
a 28" tire vs a 26" tire will be the rough equivalent of going down 1-2 steps... with 4.30s it's more like 3.90s if i'm not mistaking.

too lazy to do it now, but here, you can use this, find a 28" tire size, and plug it into the first calculator:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Hey Fosters,so do you think 4.30's are the way to go?My friend has 4.10's in his 03' Mach and He runs a 12.5 @ 110 I didn't know if I got 4.30's and ran about the same time how much would my MPH be off from his?I just didn't know if 4.30's were to much or not.I really want a good ET time and a MPH in a 1/4.
Smoke4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:14 PM   #66
rcodemach1
Registered User
 
rcodemach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: san diego, ca
Posts: 1,442
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

Search, my friend.
But yes, from what I've seen, 4.30s, slicks, exhaust, CAI, and tune = solid mid 12s.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke4.6 View Post
Hey Fosters,so do you think 4.30's are the way to go?My friend has 4.10's in his 03' Mach and He runs a 12.5 @ 110 I didn't know if I got 4.30's and ran about the same time how much would my MPH be off from his?I just didn't know if 4.30's were to much or not.I really want a good ET time and a MPH in a 1/4.
__________________

'03 Mach, 5-spd, Eaton swap
'98 GT, 410w, C4, 6.84@100 in the 1/8th

rcodemach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:17 PM   #67
wutang61
CAT MASTA!
 
wutang61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vero Beach, Florida
Posts: 3,412
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

im droping in a viper t-56 in my automatic mach this winter and the gear ratios are as follows.

1st 2.66

2nd 1.78

3rd 1.30

4th 1.00

5th .74

6th .50

i was planning on doing 4.56's.... but that equates to a 3650 with 3.73's roughly. should i go steeper? i think motive sells 4.88'sshould i go with those or the 4.56's?
__________________
04' Torched 6-speed Build Date: 02/25/2004
Ported Eaton @7psi
Viper T-56
Built 8.8,4.10's

441/402
wutang61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:20 AM   #68
YellowMenace
Registered User
 
YellowMenace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Schertz, TX
Posts: 2,640
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutang61 View Post
im droping in a viper t-56 in my automatic mach this winter and the gear ratios are as follows.

1st 2.66

2nd 1.78

3rd 1.30

4th 1.00

5th .74

6th .50

i was planning on doing 4.56's.... but that equates to a 3650 with 3.73's roughly. should i go steeper? i think motive sells 4.88'sshould i go with those or the 4.56's?
If you go steeper I don't know how you'll ever manage the 1-2 shift. It's already gonna come up in a hurry after launch.
__________________
Zinc yellow NMRA Factory Stock configuration Coyote 5.0 engine, FRPP Control Pack and a bunch of other stuff. Best ET in this configuration 10.693@123
YellowMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:49 PM   #69
wutang61
CAT MASTA!
 
wutang61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vero Beach, Florida
Posts: 3,412
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

i think redline is 36mph in 1st w/ the 4.56's
__________________
04' Torched 6-speed Build Date: 02/25/2004
Ported Eaton @7psi
Viper T-56
Built 8.8,4.10's

441/402
wutang61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:24 PM   #70
MUSCLEMUSTANG65
Registered User
 
MUSCLEMUSTANG65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: WOODVILLE, AL
Posts: 700
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

Everybody raves about 4.30 gears but what about gas mileage? My 04 is basically my sole transportation and i want improved acceleration, i had 3.73 in my 02 gt, but i cant afford really crappy gas mileage. My gt got roughly 18mpg which is doable but i cant handle too much worse. Any input would be helpful.
MUSCLEMUSTANG65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:30 PM   #71
FloridaOrange
SCS Homie
 
FloridaOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 3,647
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

With the 4.10's and a 5 speed, the gears almost help the mileage. You can use 5th more easily around town. If you're doing mostly highway miles then stick with the 3.55's.

All this goes out the window if you can't keep your friggen foot out of the pedal.
FloridaOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:02 AM   #72
johnfilice
Senior Member
 
johnfilice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rocklin, CA
Posts: 97
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

sounds good to me
__________________
_______________________
2003 OW Mach 1 5-SPD IUP
Valentine One Hardwired
20% tint all around
JLT CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightshadeGT View Post
Subies are kind of like a box of chocolates
johnfilice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #73
hoopty
Registered User
 
hoopty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Elizabethtown, KY
Posts: 115
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaOrange View Post
With the 4.10's and a 5 speed, the gears almost help the mileage. You can use 5th more easily around town. If you're doing mostly highway miles then stick with the 3.55's.

All this goes out the window if you can't keep your friggen foot out of the pedal.
Am I wrong or isn't the floor supposed to stop the pedal????
hoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #74
jwg
Registered User
 
jwg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ft worth
Posts: 19
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

ok so ive read alot of what you guys know bout gears, and it seams to make since and there is a wealth of knowledge in these threads. My question is, would using a tall gear such as (3.08) be outa the question? my situation is that im very close to the end of the 1/8th n still have to shift to 3rd. would the 3.08 kill everything n have me slower, or would it help out. a friend had a 89 lx 5.0 with few bolt-ons and 3.08's n he could get a 14.00 in the 1/4 at just over 100mph. then drive home getting 26-27mpg. im sure not wanting 14.00 outa my car but i figure the mach is a better car than the 89 lx so if finishing the track with less shifts gets it down the track wth. what do you guys think?
jwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #75
Scott McClure
Mach1 member
 
Scott McClure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: East Haven, CT
Posts: 3,349
Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwg View Post
ok so ive read alot of what you guys know bout gears, and it seams to make since and there is a wealth of knowledge in these threads. My question is, would using a tall gear such as (3.08) be outa the question? my situation is that im very close to the end of the 1/8th n still have to shift to 3rd. would the 3.08 kill everything n have me slower, or would it help out. a friend had a 89 lx 5.0 with few bolt-ons and 3.08's n he could get a 14.00 in the 1/4 at just over 100mph. then drive home getting 26-27mpg. im sure not wanting 14.00 outa my car but i figure the mach is a better car than the 89 lx so if finishing the track with less shifts gets it down the track wth. what do you guys think?
You want to ditch your 3.55's for 3.08's? Your going the wrong way. Bone stock your car should run mid 13's. I think your a little confused on what your dealing with.
__________________
2011 Mustang GT Grabber Blue Automatic


2003 Mach 1 Whipple 2.3 718 rwhp 735 rwtq @25 psi SOLD
Scott McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2002-2013 Mach1Registry.com

<