2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 10-07-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
TRbetngu

Longer crank after sitting for a bit.

Hey guys! I went out to start my car this morning after making her sit for over a week (), and it cranked for about about 5 seconds, then finally fired up and ran fine. Can anybody help me diagnose a longer than usual crank time? Battery seemed fine. Turned over at normal speeds, just took longer to fire. The car is procharged, but no other big mods. Any help or input is appreciated.

-P1-SC kit
-Magnaflow Catted X w/ Borla Stingers
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps
-Treated better than my wife
TRbetngu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #2
BONESTOCK

Re: Longer crank after sitting for a bit.

idk. Mine does the same. Never worried about it. Been like that for years.

But my car will sit for month at a time. I usually floor the gas pedal (this disables the ignition) while turning the engine over to crank it and get oil up in there! Probably a good 8-10 seconds. Then stop for a few seconds and then turn the car on normally.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:15 AM   #3
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

I remember mine doing that out of the blue even when it hadn't been sitting sometimes, unless it becomes a regular thing I wouldnt worry

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
bristol16

next time you let it sit that long cycle the fuel pump a couple times before starting and see if it still has a long crank or not. it could just be a weak check valve allowing the fuel to slowly drain back towards the tank. if it started fine it's probably not anything to worry about. the extra few seconds of cranking helps get the oil moving before the engine starts anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONESTOCK View Post
idk. Mine does the same. Never worried about it. Been like that for years.

But my car will sit for month at a time. I usually floor the gas pedal (this disables the ignition) while turning the engine over to crank it and get oil up in there! Probably a good 8-10 seconds. Then stop for a few seconds and then turn the car on normally.
i thought flooring the gas pedal cut fuel, not ignition? it used to be a way to clear a flooded engine back in the days of carburetors and i think, at least for most vehicles, fuel is cut in half or cut off completely when doing this to help clear the cylinders of a flooded engine. if it cuts the ignition but keeps adding fuel for the 8-10 seconds you are cranking that's not really a good thing.
bristol16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
ASH302
Soldier for Christ

I honestly wouldn't worry,
On this one sometimes it will start up fast and other times it takes a few more cranks. I started pumping the gas pedal a few times and that seems to help it start better.

ASh
2013 RED Dodge Charger R/T Sold Nov 2014
2002 custom Blue 02 Auto Trans AM Sold June 2015
1998 Cobra Black Sold summer 2016

Current
2009 Ford F350 FX4 March 2017 (work truck)
2003 OW 5.0 Mach 1 Aug 2020

ASh
ASH302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
BONESTOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol16 View Post
next time you let it sit that long cycle the fuel pump a couple times before starting and see if it still has a long crank or not. it could just be a weak check valve allowing the fuel to slowly drain back towards the tank. if it started fine it's probably not anything to worry about. the extra few seconds of cranking helps get the oil moving before the engine starts anyway.

i thought flooring the gas pedal cut fuel, not ignition? it used to be a way to clear a flooded engine back in the days of carburetors and i think, at least for most vehicles, fuel is cut in half or cut off completely when doing this to help clear the cylinders of a flooded engine. if it cuts the ignition but keeps adding fuel for the 8-10 seconds you are cranking that's not really a good thing.
ah. You may be right. I don't know this magic very well. I just know my car doesn't start and it allows me to get the oil moving first! haha!