2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 01-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
LXS

Rack and pinion “build”

So my plan, so far, is to go with the Summit rack and pinion (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaz-22-2000/), Steeda bump steer kit (https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustan...-555-8104.html) and, possibly, urethane or billet Steeda offset rack bushings. My original plan was to go with the LMR rack and pinion kit (https://lmr.com/item/LRS-3504E-K/mus...-rack-kit-9904), but at $369.99, I can get all of the above mentioned for just under the cost of the LMR rack kit! At the moment my front suspension consists of H&R race springs and some OLD Koni struts. I have some tubular lower control arms that I bought from a member here (brtnstrns) almost 5 years back that I never got around to installing because they require coil overs. So guess what, once the rack and pinion “project” is done, I’m FINALLY gonna get some coil overs! Lol I’m also interested in the Steeda X2 ball joints, but the tubular lowers I have are brand new, so I kinda don’t want to swap out a brand new ball joint unless it’s absolutely necessary. I don’t have money galore to throw around, so the coil over/lowers project probably won’t be for another couple months from now, but by then, who knows, I may have some extra cash to throw at those X2?! Anyway, what does everyone think? Am I missing anything? Perhaps I’m overlooking something? Any help, tips, and advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
t45 swap (BEST decision of my life!!!)
Don't fear the gear!

I'm not a real mechanic, I just play one online...
LXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #2
j rick kirby

Re: Rack and pinion “build”

Forget the ball joints and offset rack bushings.

By the way what are you going to do with this car?
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:26 PM   #3
LXS

Quote:
Originally Posted by j rick kirby View Post
Forget the ball joints and offset rack bushings.

By the way what are you going to do with this car?
It’s my daily driven car that I want lowered with a suspension I can have fun with on the freeway, street and track (straight line and twisties). I can see xinay’ing the ball joints, but why the offset rack bushings? Are they really not worth it? More “hype” than anything else?!

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 01-23-2019, 06:54 PM   #4
LXS

And that’s what I want at the moment, it being my daily. Once I have a devoted daily, I plan on either building/stroking my motor, or swapping in a different motor. Either way, I plan on adding boost, a pair of twins or possibly twin screw, but that’s waaay later into the future. I want to enjoy my car as my daily as it sits at the moment. My rear suspension is almost completely “built.” I’ve got MM lowers, adjustable uppers, 31 spline axels, 4.56s, cobra posi, extended wheels studs and I believe that about covers it. One thing I do know I need are sub frame connectors for sure! Not sure if I need a pan hard bar tho, but that’s not on my list at the moment anyway.

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 01-24-2019, 08:24 AM   #5
j rick kirby

Just installing every part on the market does not make the car better. You can easily spend tons of cash and have a car that's good at nothing, no fun to drive, unreliable and a money pit. For one, offset rack bushings create a problem that wasn't there to start with. I suggest you go to the MM website and spend some time reading in their FAQ/tech sections. You will save yourself lots of problems.
HPDE Instructor
Old 01-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
LXS

Quote:
Just installing every part on the market does not make the car better. You can easily spend tons of cash and have a car that's good at nothing, no fun to drive, unreliable and a money pit. For one, offset rack bushings create a problem that wasn't there to start with. I suggest you go to the MM website and spend some time reading in their FAQ/tech sections. You will save yourself lots of problems.
AWESOME!! Now THAT’S what I’m looking for, great advice!! I’m on it! I do need to read and do my homework, cause you’re completely right, throwing a ton of money at a car doesn’t mean squat! Totally appreciate the advice!

Oh, and word on the shop info?! I don’t plan on getting rid of my stock rack, would love to have it rebuilt and put away for the future

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 01-24-2019, 12:27 PM   #7
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXS View Post
AWESOME!! Now THAT’S what I’m looking for, great advice!! I’m on it! I do need to read and do my homework, cause you’re completely right, throwing a ton of money at a car doesn’t mean squat! Totally appreciate the advice!

Oh, and word on the shop info?! I don’t plan on getting rid of my stock rack, would love to have it rebuilt and put away for the future
I'm gonna get you that info on the rack rebuilder. If I can help you in any way I will be glad to do so. (336)745-8111 I won't be much help on the built motor, turbos and such but I know these chassis, suspension and brakes pretty well.
HPDE Instructor
Old 01-24-2019, 05:45 PM   #8
LXS

Quote:
I'm gonna get you that info on the rack rebuilder. If I can help you in any way I will be glad to do so. (336)745-8111 I won't be much help on the built motor, turbos and such but I know these chassis, suspension and brakes pretty well.
That’s awesome, really appreciate it!!

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 01-24-2019, 06:15 PM   #9
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
Just installing every part on the market does not make the car better. You can easily spend tons of cash and have a car that's good at nothing, no fun to drive, unreliable and a money pit.
yup. and chasing too much hp can easily become another ruiner of a perfectly good car, especially when not done by pros or people who are extremely competent in the shop and have the resources and dedication to see the project all the way out.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:16 AM   #10
j rick kirby

Quote:
That’s awesome, really appreciate it!!
The name of that rebuilder is Turn One and I just looked at their website. Looks like they are exactly who we are looking for when it's time for a rebuild.
HPDE Instructor
Old 01-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #11
LXS

Quote:
The name of that rebuilder is Turn One and I just looked at their website. Looks like they are exactly who we are looking for when it's time for a rebuild.
Awesome, thank you!! Looks like they’re located in Michigan (for anyone who happens to stumble across this thread looking for info) https://www.turnone-steering.com

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 01-25-2019, 05:19 PM   #12
j rick kirby

Quote:
Awesome, thank you!! Looks like they’re located in Michigan (for anyone who happens to stumble across this thread looking for info) https://www.turnone-steering.com
I think you should send yours off for a rebuild and skip the Summit. Or if you go Summit don't get the mach rack rebuilt. It could be a really long time before you need another and seals dry out just sitting around.
HPDE Instructor
Old 01-26-2019, 01:15 AM   #13
LXS

Quote:
I think you should send yours off for a rebuild and skip the Summit. Or if you go Summit don't get the mach rack rebuilt. It could be a really long time before you need another and seals dry out just sitting around.
I’m gonna give them a call. Only reason I’m leaning towards the Summit rack is because I just started working on the 2nd of this month (after having gone back to school for about 2 1/2 years), and being that the Mach is my daily, I can’t afford for it to be down for long. If I get the Summit unit, I can take a day or two to install it, whereas if I ship it, it’s gonna take who knows how long until I’m able to install it. I do hear you on the seals drying out over time, makes sense.

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 01-28-2019, 02:37 PM   #14
LXS

Ok! So after reading through their site and giving Turn One a call, for the circumstances I’m in at the moment, I’m going to have to go with the Summit unit. Nothing bad or “wrong” with the company, they seem to be a great quality shop! For me, as I mentioned earlier, it comes down to time and cost. This is straight from their site:

Quote:
RACK AND PINION SERVICES
Service Starts at $250
Standard lead time: 2-3 weeks*

Turn One’s rack and pinion rebuilding service is the most comprehensive rebuilding service available. Our technicians know racks inside and out. With over 60 years of combined experience, we know what to look for and how to fix it. Whether it be a C4 Corvette or a late model rack, Turn One can make your old rack feel brand new. We completely disassemble the rack and check all seals, valves, and bearings to ensure proper function and replace parts as needed. After reassembly, Turn One dyno tests the rack and tunes it for top quality and performance.

**Attention C5 and C6 Corvette customers: If your rack is leaking from the electro-magnet wires, Turn One cannot guarantee that your rack will not leak from these wires after rebuilding. Turn One takes every precaution to eliminate current or potential leaks but cannot guarantee success in regards to this matter. If you have any questions regarding this, please contact our technical service department.**

* Lead times are approximate, and may vary depending on work flow. Turn One can expedite projects for an additional $150 fee. Expedited turn around time is within 1 week.
Price is $250 to start (price does not include parts that may need replacing), turn around time is 3-4 weeks (at the moment), and if I want it expedited, it’s an additional $150! All was verified when I spoke with Lisa from Turn One a moment ago. Again, nothing wrong with the company and certainly nothing against them, I just don’t have the time to wait about a month for the rack to be built nor do I have the extra funds to expedite it. If I were to go that route, it would put me at $400 for the rebuild (expedited), not including shipping to and from, nor any unforeseen parts replacement which would increase the final cost. I do not plan on getting rid of my stock rack, so I’ll definitely hold onto it and have it rebuilt by Turn One at a much later date.

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 01-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #15
j rick kirby

Quote:
Ok! So after reading through their site and giving Turn One a call, for the circumstances I’m in at the moment, I’m going to have to go with the Summit unit. Nothing bad or “wrong” with the company, they seem to be a great quality shop! For me, as I mentioned earlier, it comes down to time and cost. This is straight from their site:

Price is $250 to start (price does not include parts that may need replacing), turn around time is 3-4 weeks (at the moment), and if I want it expedited, it’s an additional $150! All was verified when I spoke with Lisa from Turn One a moment ago. Again, nothing wrong with the company and certainly nothing against them, I just don’t have the time to wait about a month for the rack to be built nor do I have the extra funds to expedite it. If I were to go that route, it would put me at $400 for the rebuild, not including shipping to and from, nor any unforeseen parts replacement which would increase the final cost. I do not plan on getting rid of my stock rack, so I’ll definitely hold onto it and have it rebuilt by Turn One at a later date.
Yeah I read this last week. When it comes time for a rack for my car I will send it to them. Mine can be down for a few weeks because I only use it for track days.
HPDE Instructor
Old 01-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #16
LXS

So with that being said, I’m looking at the Summit rack and pinion, MM solid rack bushings for a stock k-member, and either MM bumpsteer kit or Steeda bumpsteer kit. Which is better, Steeda or MM? Or would it be best to stick with one company and go MM for everything?

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 01-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #17
LXS

Quote:
Yeah I read this last week. When it comes time for a rack for my car I will send it to them. Mine can be down for a few weeks because I only use it for track days.
Nice! I would have definitely gone that route if I had a back up car!

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 01-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #18
j rick kirby

Quote:
So with that being said, I’m looking at the Summit rack and pinion, MM solid rack bushings for a stock k-member, and either MM bumpsteer kit or Steeda bumpsteer kit. Which is better, Steeda or MM? Or would it be best to stick with one company and go MM for everything?
The MM solid bushings are a good choice. You do not need a bumpsteer kit with the stock K member.
HPDE Instructor
Old 01-28-2019, 02:48 PM   #19
LXS

Quote:
The MM solid bushings are a good choice. You do not need a bumpsteer kit with the stock K member.
Good to know! Is there anything else I should get/do while I’m at it?

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 01-28-2019, 02:49 PM   #20
j rick kirby

Have you done SFCs and K member brace?
HPDE Instructor
Old 01-28-2019, 02:51 PM   #21
j rick kirby

Put the stock rear UCAs back on and get a PHB.
HPDE Instructor
Old 01-28-2019, 03:01 PM   #22
LXS

Quote:
Have you done SFCs and K member brace?
Not yet, but SFCs are on my to do list! As far as a k member brace, I’ve never heard of doing that, I was planning on going with an MM k member in the future.

Quote:
Put the stock rear UCAs back on and get a PHB.
I don’t have the stock uppers, they’re long gone (when I started piecing things together, I was geared towards 8th/quarter mile racing in mind). PHB will have to be added to my list!

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 01-28-2019, 03:07 PM   #23
j rick kirby

Quote:
Not yet, but SFCs are on my to do list! As far as a k member brace, I’ve never heard of doing that, I was planning on going with an MM k member in the future.

I don’t have the stock uppers, they’re long gone (when I started piecing things together, I was geared towards 8th/quarter mile racing in mind). PHB will have to be added to my list!
Then buy some stock uppers.
HPDE Instructor
Old 01-28-2019, 03:21 PM   #24
LXS

Quote:
Then buy some stock uppers.
What’s the benefit/advantage of stock uppers over adjustable uppers?

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 01-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #25
j rick kirby

Just a friendly reminder to go to the MM website and start reading. 99.9% of your current and future questions will be answered and explained. You also seem to be getting some things out of order. MM will address the order you should do mods.
HPDE Instructor