2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:04 AM   #26
Mustanger2

Re: Doesn't anybody know what our cars are?

I had a Mustang owner tell me he drove a 2000 Mach 1 at a GTG once..(his car was at home)...he refused to accept my response that Ford never made a Mach 1 in 2000, even showed me a pic, of a GT. Finally he called his wife & said "Our Mach 1 is a 2000 right?....she replied no we have a 2001 & it's a GT...we never had a Mach 1." I was polite & choked back the laugh, but it was hard.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #27
shadowmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongtho3 View Post
My favorite was the Ford dealer who called me when I got the front end repainted and wanted to know where I got my stripes from!?! A FORD dealership!

shadowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #28
iudelt89
United We Stang

I swear Ford dealerships don't know how to work on their performance cars. My father has taken in his Boss 302 for a few things. Blown axle seal, some misfire issues, etc. They get all nervous about the car and refuse to touch it without consulting Ford Racing first. Takes them forever to get anything done.
Black Staggered FR500's, SSS Adrenaline Cat-Back, JBA o/r h-pipe, MGW Short Throw Shifter, H&R SS Springs, Bilstein HD's, MM Bumpsteer, MM CC Plates, Kenny Brown Extreme Subframe Matrix, FRPP Alum Driveshaft, 2000 Cobra R front brake kit, MM pan hard bar, MM LCA's, K&N FIPK Intake, Bama Tune, Shaker Diverter, FRPP 3.73s, Moser 31 spline axles, FRPP diff cover, FRPP Traction-Lok diff, Kenny Brown Brake Ducts

'04 Black 5-Speed Mach 1, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
iudelt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:50 PM   #29
RealFord89
HOOAH!

I have been drooling over the Mach 1 since I was 13 when they were brand new. I finally got one last year right before my 24th birthday and it wasn't until I owned one that I realized how rare they are and how little people know about them. I think a big reason is because they have been in the shadows of the Terminator's lime light. Another reason is that they kinda do just look like a GT with a cool hood, shaker, and some stripes; at least to a non-mustang person. The biggest reason IMO is because of the Rice-Stangs. the v6's with cobra badges and silly stripes, etc. Only 2-3 people have actually known what my car is and they all assumed it was a fake. My DSG paint doesn't help because the hood and side decals are virtually invisible and the fact that it's an 03 with the stupid pony badges doesn't help either. In the end it's a love/hate with the rarity because people still don't understand what it is even after you explain it to them. I just tell people it was between the gt and cobra and it has the same motor as all the cobra just without the supercharger, they normally respond with "oh, so it's pretty much a GT right?" At the end of the day I love it and I probably pay a little less than I should for insurance because they think it's a GT too.
2003 DSG Mach 1. "MODS": JLT RAI, MAC cat-back, MGW Shifter, FRPP aluminum DS, Accel Super COP's, Chrome 18"x9" 00' Cobra R's, tinted rear side reflectors, tinted sequential tails w/ Raxiom modified flasher, led license lights, black reflective bumper insert letters, flame grille pony.
RealFord89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:58 PM   #30
Turk2k5

I had somebody today compliment my car and then proceed to tell me that he had a 61' fastback years ago haha. Some people just do not have a clue.
Turk2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:52 AM   #31
4a7191a

Had a guy at the track with a 02 gt not even know then Mach had a 4v motor. Lol

2001 svt lightning
2011 Mitsubishi Evo X
1999 F250 7.3L
4a7191a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #32
XSELLR9

My neighbor insists that my Mach 1 is not a true Mach because it wasn't made in 1969-73..... I happen to own a Bullitt, Mach 1, and a terminator and nobody seems to recognize the Bullitt (probably because it is one of the few made in true blue) and nobody knows what a Mach 1 is either. A salesman told me he had just sold a Mach 3, and another one told me I should buy a GT because it's lighter and faster than a Mach 1.....
XSELLR9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:34 AM   #33
st0ck Mach 1
not for long

I remember the day I left the dealership with a brand new mach. Stopped at a store and a fellah commented how he liked everything I had done to the car! Then we yakked for 15 minutes about it, said he would be at the dealer in a few days.
BB/S 324 kooks sully accufab cams heads valves bs3 ls1coils sully rails aeromotive regulator Weldon pump 8gal cell batt in trunk tko500(faceplated) spool upr k foxbody spindles metco upper an lowers 502rwhp.
st0ck Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #34
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4valve 4tw? View Post
The unfortunate answer many owners don't want to hear, is that the Mach 1 is the red-headed step child of the modern mustang world.

95? Yeah cobra R!
96? Yeah 1st DOHC cobra!
99? Yeah new edge style... oh and a Cobra flop...
00? Yeah big bad Cobra R!
01? A retro Bullitt?!? Oh and Cobra's were fixed...
03/04? The baddest assery of Cobras. Ford finally could beat Chevy...

Pretty safe to say that's how many think. The Mach will never step out of the shadow of the hype of its big brother, the Terminator. It is THE quintessential performance mustang, probably more so then the 00 R. I mean, it brought on the stories of 100+hp for $1000.

Throw in the "lower" hp rating vs the 99/01 Cobra, and the "it's the 03/04 Cobra motor without a supercharger" common response, and that's a recipe for anonimity.
The 99 had its issues, but it also introduced us to the best looking new edge front bumper Ford made.
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:41 AM   #35
two-gun

Funny this gets brought up. I don't drive my Mach much if at all lately. ( I have a company truck I drive everyday) when I used to go drive around with my friend in his torch red cobra, I would get more people interested in the Mach. Most common question was where did I buy the stripe kit and shaker. They always seemed mind blown when I told them it was factory.
two-gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #36
RealFord89
HOOAH!

I just went to a local parking lot meet last night. Nobody had even heard of a Mach 1 except one guy who tried to sell me 2v parts he had sitting around. When I told him that I had a 4V and none of the parts he had would fit he got defensive and told me that Mach 1's came in 2V, 3V, and 4V packages. I laughed and politely disagreed and he said one of his friends is a ford tech and he knew what he was talking about and wasn't going to argue with me. I laughed again and told him a CDC shaker kit doesn't make a car a Mach 1 and he shut up. LOL
2003 DSG Mach 1. "MODS": JLT RAI, MAC cat-back, MGW Shifter, FRPP aluminum DS, Accel Super COP's, Chrome 18"x9" 00' Cobra R's, tinted rear side reflectors, tinted sequential tails w/ Raxiom modified flasher, led license lights, black reflective bumper insert letters, flame grille pony.
RealFord89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #37
not a gt

I got mine with 9 miles on it in 2003, 11 years later I still have to give the same crash course on "A brief history of the Mach1" and still have the idiots that try you because they think it is a GT and they are used to beating up on them, this was even pre-Procharger! Ford has put so many fake hood scoops on stuff people just assume the shaker is fake, I KNOW I am not the only one, when explaining our cars, has rapped the shaker with my knuckles as an indication the shaker is real lol (even with the hood open, that big *** hole still means nothing to the masses), and all the old dudes at the local car shows will not even acknowledge its exsitence since it isn't a "true" Mach 1 (you have to make sure you say you have a 2003 or 4 Mach 1, don't just say "I have a Mach", next thing out their piehole is "You got a 69 or a 70" ?). I just say now that in 2003,Ford had some Cobra motors left over and used them to make a Mach 1 and the Cobra is a Mach 1 motor with a blower lol!
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #38
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

I wonder how many of those Mach 1 decal package GT's they sold between 2005 to about 2008? How many of those have been sold and passed off as a Mach 1? I haven't seen any since I saw them on the car lot years ago. I've never gotten into an argument about whether mine is a Mach, but if I did I'd just carry around the window sticker, or tell them to look it up on their smart phone (irony).

I'm livin' the Office Space dream. I'm retired, and sit on my azz and do nothing.

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #39
iamkevin7

I walked into the Liquor store a couple of days ago and the employee asks me if mine is Mach1 . I said yes and instead of twelvityfive questions he said he has a blue 03. Awesome.
iamkevin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #40
iamkevin7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
I wonder how many of those Mach 1 decal package GT's they sold between 2005 to about 2008? How many of those have been sold and passed off as a Mach 1? I haven't seen any since I saw them on the car lot years ago. I've never gotten into an argument about whether mine is a Mach, but if I did I'd just carry around the window sticker, or tell them to look it up on their smart phone (irony).
I saw one of them at the Charlotte show out where I parked. 05 or so ,it was odd.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:52 PM   #41
03BumbleBee

Wife and I stopped at McDonalds for coffee this morning, a guy walks up to me with a Ford hat on and said, "I like your 03 Mach 1". I said you know about them, he said ,"I am a Ford Guy and have a Oxford White 03 Mach with auto at home". It has been a long time since I have met or seen another Mach 1 outside of a car show.

Welcome to the Mach 1 Cafe!
"Today's Special..Smoked Honda"
Finally a member of 10,000 mile club!
03BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:53 PM   #42
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

I remember about 7 years ago I was going to this strip mall to get a pizza. I was coming up on the left hand turn I had to make to enter the mall area and I look ahead and a Torch Red Mach is coming in the opposite direction and takes a right turn into the same strip mall lot. I went and got my pizza and when I came out that Torch Red Mach was parked right next to my Mach. He got out and we BS'ed for afew minutes. He said he didn't drive it much. That was really weird we could be pulling into the same area at the same exact time.

I'm livin' the Office Space dream. I'm retired, and sit on my azz and do nothing.

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Old 05-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #43
donjuaniii
Laid Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkevin7 View Post
I saw one of them at the Charlotte show out where I parked. 05 or so ,it was odd.
Did it look like this ? (Not digging it)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10250088_10202063678776387_3723580877589771364_n.jpg (99.3 KB, 43 views)
Old 05-20-2014, 06:49 AM   #44
iamkevin7

No but that is odd also(to be nine)
This was an orange 05 with some black stripes that said mach1 down the side about mid way up.They weren't our decals but they looked professional. My wife is a gearhead and looks at me and spouts off "it needs Cobra badges too " LOL
Old 05-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #45
4valve 4tw?

Sure it wasn't this?

I know there are a couple dozen companies making different stripe packages, but when the 06's hit the lots, I remember stopping by a dealership to look at one of these. I remember it was either a factory or dealer installed "Boss 302 package." Not even appearence package no, just a package. Stripes and different wheels basically, not even the(hideous) louvers shown here. I remember seeing tons when they came out, but very, very few in the last few years.. Maybe the owners got shamed into taking them off...

However, I'd rock a Mach 1 themed 11/12 all day. 05-09 are boring, 10's lack the oomph for the price, and 13/14 are more bulbous, not as sharp edged as the 11/12, which are most similar to the originals. I can never re-find pics of a white one and a blue one I saw that were done right, but they had a Boss front splitter, matte black wing/side/hood stripes, shaker, magnum 500 wheels, and were lowered, I believe with Ford springs.
4valve 4tw? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #46
Mach828
Dark Knight

Had a security guard ask me this weekend if my car was a Bullitt, because he knew it wasn't a regular GT cause it sounded really good. I proceeded to say it was a Mach, but doesn't much resemble a Mach anymore due to all the Cobra body parts and paint and everything I've done. I try to explain the differences between the GT, Bullitt, Mach, and Cobra.

He proceeds to tell me his buddy has an 08 Mustang GT with a torque convertor on it, he brags how quick it is, and says it did 60mph in 1st gear. I'm a bit confused but I say ya, a high stalled auto can get out of the hole in a hurry. He said no, it's a manual.

I just went along with it and laughed about it with my friend later, jokingly telling him he should put a torque convertor in his manual GT as his next mod.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #47
slightplague

Yeah last saturday I had a guy in a charger r/t show me a video of him spanking a 2001 white gt then proceed to tell me it's the same car as mine. When I tried to explain the differences he kept denying me saying it was just a appearance package, so I told him I'd race him and prove it and when I smoked him he tried telling me I had 5.4. I'm amazed at people's stupidity.
slightplague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #48
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightplague View Post
When I tried to explain the differences he kept denying me saying it was just a appearance package, so I told him I'd race him and prove it, and I smoked him

He didn't stand a chance. The Mach 1 decals are worth 50 extra horsepower.