2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 09-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Shadow0415

Rear suspension, one side is sitting lower.

Hey everyone,

Of all things, suspension is not my forte'

Recently I have noticed that the stance of my car has been uneven. I had just assumed the car sat higher in the front. When looking at the rear wheels, I have now decided that they are not the same height on each side.

My rear passenger side sits about 1/4" lower (a pinky width) than the driver side. I have checked out the suspension and everything seems to be fine, but I dont even know where to look at or where to start.

All I know about that side is the exhaust show misaligned my over axle pipes when welding so that the pipe sat more crooked and rubs the gas tank sometimes.

I plan to get pictures this evening while Im home, just wanted to put the thread out there while I had the time. The car just passed 52K miles and I know nothing about the durability of the stock suspension. (all suspension components are currently stock)

All the information I tried searching for came up on cars with an IRS or classic cars.

Any suggestions?
I cant say ride is suffering too much, but I do seem to have a large amount of wheel hop and the drop is noticeable enough to where it bothers me.

Thanks everyone!
Shadow0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
UmachnMe?
never ending project

Re: Rear suspension, one side is sitting lower.

fairly common on the machs.
the right sits lower than the left
I did not notice mine until I put adjustable lowers on my car and noticed that the right spring screw jack was much higher than the left.
Cobra tank with twin GT pumps
BBK Long Tubes, custom O/R X w/ magnaflow mufflers
18"x9" AFS Mach 1 wheels
Dimpled and slotted rotors
MM front coil over kit with Bilstein HD struts
MM adjustable LCAs and adjustable pan hard bar
MM hd torque arm /removed factory upper arms
Rebuilt 3650 / new syncros and shifter forks / Hurst BP
RAM HD 950 dual disk clutch and FRP alum d/s
UmachnMe? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Shadow0415

Hmm, its strange though, I just pulled a picture up from a few months ago and there was no issue at all. Whatever happened has happened rather recently.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
White2003Mach1

it could be the OEM spring isolators, mine were almost totally shredded when i put my H&R springs on at 15k miles

'03 white Mach1-- born date 3/31/03
serial # 3243
bought on 4/19/03
personalized tag "MYSTANG"
White2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
mikeracing
MECHANIC

just a statement here but have someone check your ride height with you sitting in the car. because unless you are really light you are going to be perfectly even with you sitting in the drivers seat
mikeracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
Shadow0415

After a couple camera complications and some bad weather, I managed to get some pictures as a reference to what is going on with the rear. Keep in mind, this is stock suspension.

The picture of the wheel is the wheel in question, and the other two are showing the difference in distance from top of the wheel. About a whole pinky width.

As of right now, I need to take the car into ford for breaks so I have the excuse for them to check out what they think is going on as well (have it warranted under premium care)

I dont think that there is a difference between me in the car or not because my front wheels are equal, and my driver rear and front are equal as well. Me in the car would distribute that drop to both the front and rear, and shouldn't be so pronounced to drop the rear a whole quarter inch.

As far as this being commmon, my biggest concern is that its been just recent that Ive noticed and previous pictures show that it wasnt that low before.

Maybe this will all be an excuse to buy the suspension parts I wanted and some height adjustable LCAs
Attached Thumbnails
20130922_185738.jpg   20130922_185759.jpg   20130922_185824.jpg  
Old 10-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow0415 View Post
After a couple camera complications and some bad weather, I managed to get some pictures as a reference to what is going on with the rear. Keep in mind, this is stock suspension.

The picture of the wheel is the wheel in question, and the other two are showing the difference in distance from top of the wheel. About a whole pinky width.

As of right now, I need to take the car into ford for breaks so I have the excuse for them to check out what they think is going on as well (have it warranted under premium care)

I dont think that there is a difference between me in the car or not because my front wheels are equal, and my driver rear and front are equal as well. Me in the car would distribute that drop to both the front and rear, and shouldn't be so pronounced to drop the rear a whole quarter inch.

As far as this being commmon, my biggest concern is that its been just recent that Ive noticed and previous pictures show that it wasnt that low before.

Maybe this will all be an excuse to buy the suspension parts I wanted and some height adjustable LCAs
That's not bad. What shocks do you have?
2003 Black Mach 1 stock motor with 11,000 miles. Bassani cat x-pipe and Borla Stingers catback. 18 inch Black Saleen Style Wheels with G-Force TA's, 265 35's front and 295 35's rear,Cobra rear spoiler, HR Super Sport springs, caster/camber plates, subframe connectors. Tinted front and back lights and black 40th Ann. emblems.
Black Widow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by White2003Mach1 View Post
it could be the OEM spring isolators, mine were almost totally shredded when i put my H&R springs on at 15k miles
X2, this was exactly my issue as well. I changed them out with Prothane Isolators on the top and removed the bottoms completely. All level now.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
Shadow0415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Widow View Post
That's not bad. What shocks do you have?
Its all stock at 54k miles.

I decided that I will just redo all the suspension anyway. Im waiting to make the decision on which springs I want and replace the bushings while im at it. If that doesnt solve the problem, I have enough wheel hop and annoyance with an un-level ride height to get weigh jacker LCAs for the height tuning.