2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

View Poll Results: Ask a Police Officer Htread - Good Idea?
Yes, good idea 54 60.67%
No way...scrap it 2 2.25%
let's try it and see how it goes 24 26.97%
What do I care. Where is the Procharger thread? 9 10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2006, 11:20 PM   #76
kopacko

Re: Ask A Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma_Energy
I strongly disagree....I might give a warning shot....But if my intent is to shoot him....I am shooting to kill....I am not going to be sued (and lose) by a guy who I crippled because he wanted come at me with a knife or (recent news) is beating a homeless guy to death w/ a bat.

Never ever...under any circumstance fire a warning shot. The civil liabilities alone are not worth it.

2004 Competition Orange Mach1, 5-Speed
Dyno: 299 RWHP | 322 RWTQ (SAE)

BUILD DATE: 03/16/2004
PURCHASED: 05/20/2004
VIN: 1FAFP42RX4F210686
----------------------------------------
Speed of Sound Gauge Pod w/ VDO Gauges
Steed 3-point Front Strut Tower Brace
Steed Rear Shock Tower Brace (Welded)
UPR Off-Road X-Pipe + Steeda Cat-Back
SCT XCal 2 Tune
3/4" Shaker Extension
2001 Cobra Tail Lights
kopacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:23 PM   #77
kopacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochard
I have a huge amount of respect for law enforcement. Any job where the pay is horrible and you can shot at just by pulling someone over..... That's a job I couldn't do. So thanks to all of the officers that their job daily.

I have a bunch of questions:

1) Some time ago I was a passenger in a car when we got pulled over. The person driving was an 19 year old woman. (She was smoking hot really.) She got pulled over for failing to stop at a stop sign. Much my amazement, she pulled over into the center of an empty parking lot, didn't roll down her windows, didn't put her car in park, and didn't even turn the engine off. I was always taught to pull the car over into a position where it's unlikely you'll be able to take off, to turn you car off AND put your cars on the dashboard. If you find someone who does all of these things, do you cut them some slack?

2) In the same incident mentioned above, we were following another car who also failed to run a stop sign. He was a twenty-five year old male. He was driving alone and the police officer asked him if he had any weapons. He replied that he did, all unloaded, all in the trunk. Within minutes there was a dozen police cars. They went through every gun - dozens of them, including sub machine guns - that were all legal and licenensed. Why did the cops come in bulk? It was like a gun show.

3) How many tickets vs warnings do cops write in one day.

Thanks guys!
Rochard, one thing to understand. You are driving alone, you are working alone. All you have is a radio. You hear one of your partners call out that he has pulled over a vehicle with weapons. There are certain legalities that cover what can be said over the radio. So think that your buddy just pulled over a guy with guns. Wouldn't want to go make sure he was ok? I do it all the time with the officers I work with.

SCT XCal 2 Tune
3/4" Shaker Extension
2001 Cobra Tail Lights
Old 01-30-2006, 11:25 PM   #78
Fenixfire
Its stock....No really!

First off, Ill also try to answer any questions to the best of my ability. Its worth noting Im a Federal cop, not a city cop, so things differ slightly, but not much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochard
I have a huge amount of respect for law enforcement. Any job where the pay is horrible and you can shot at just by pulling someone over..... That's a job I couldn't do. So thanks to all of the officers that their job daily.

I have a bunch of questions:

1) Some time ago I was a passenger in a car when we got pulled over. The person driving was an 19 year old woman. (She was smoking hot really.) She got pulled over for failing to stop at a stop sign. Much my amazement, she pulled over into the center of an empty parking lot, didn't roll down her windows, didn't put her car in park, and didn't even turn the engine off. I was always taught to pull the car over into a position where it's unlikely you'll be able to take off, to turn you car off AND put your cars on the dashboard. If you find someone who does all of these things, do you cut them some slack?

2) In the same incident mentioned above, we were following another car who also failed to run a stop sign. He was a twenty-five year old male. He was driving alone and the police officer asked him if he had any weapons. He replied that he did, all unloaded, all in the trunk. Within minutes there was a dozen police cars. They went through every gun - dozens of them, including sub machine guns - that were all legal and licenensed. Why did the cops come in bulk? It was like a gun show.

3) How many tickets vs warnings do cops write in one day.

Thanks guys!
1) It doesnt matter how you pull over or what you do with your vehicle. (it does to an extent, more on that in a minute)Police officers are trained to treat every traffic stop with the utmost caution. We are trained to always be ready for the worst possible scenario, so when I approach a vehicle I always prepare for them to run, have a gun, a knife, or even explosives. Dont take this the wrong way. I dont treat everyone like they are the worst criminal in the world. I simply expect the worst, because you never know when something is going to happen. The moment you let your guard down is the moment something does. I treat every traffic stop this way.

Now as for how you should pull over when yielding to or being stopped by a Law enforcement Agency. You should make every effort to pull over to the right side of the road as much out of traffic as possible. When it is too difficult to pull to the right, then find an embankment, empty turn lane, or median and pull in there. Remember, if you have to pull over in a lane and block traffic in that lane because there is nowhere else to go(a rare occassion) then make sure that your vehicle is visible in both directions for at least 1000 feet(IE-dont block an open lane of traffic right around a sharp bend in the road). If at all possible try to find somewhere to pull into(such as a parking lot). In the end, you should be thinking about the safety of the other motorists on the road, the officer pulling you over, and yourself.

Personally, I dont cut anyone slack based on how they pull over. I may give them a ticket or I may give them a warning. Its based on what the person did to be stopped, the attitude they have and how cooperative they are. Every officer is different.

2) In this case it really depends on what state this incident occured. On a military or federal installation no private weapons are allowed unless you are on official business and have a license to carry a concealed weapon. If this guy came on base he would have been arrested regardless of whether all the weapons were legal and licensed. Since this happened in the city the officer might have suspected he was an illegal arms dealer or it could have just been protocol when someone is in possession of three or more firearms(or whatever it may be). I cant say for sure.

3)As I said in answer #1 this can vary, because I give out tickets/warnings based on why the person was stopped, the attitude they have and their level of cooperation.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more.
Fenixfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:26 PM   #79
kopacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMachU
Never shoot to kill, just make the other person stop what they are doing. Sometimes a well placed shot is needed.
Here is where we are going to differ. If you are bringing a gun to a knife fight you better be able to articulate why. If you can shoot to warn, then you were in control of the situation enough to get away. In Tennessee, you would be brought up on charges for firing a warning shot.

SCT XCal 2 Tune
3/4" Shaker Extension
2001 Cobra Tail Lights
Old 01-30-2006, 11:27 PM   #80
rickthestick
Registry Liberator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRKANOT
I guess you will need a local officer to respond to your question.

Around here we have what is commonly referred to as "a hanging judge".

He doesn't care for the "street crowd" so the officers pretty much write what they want. As long as they can prove it.

In Virginia you can't alter the look of the license plate. You can have a clear cover but no tint so around here the judge would have found you or your friend guilty.

But if you cross the mountain where I used to work in Leesburg I'm told you might get away with the small things like the tag cover. If an officer works in a jurisdiction such as this they might have a hard time . The easy way to do it is learn from previous rulings by the judge. Otherwise you are beating your head on a brick wall.

You might not get fired or transferred by writing tickets the judge doesn't like but as an officer you won't win any close cases either.

I hope I'm not confusing anybody. I'm trying as best I can to explain how this stuff works. i realize it's as clear as mud.

I didn't get it either at first. I'm glad I don't have to enforce traffic laws any more.
I know it's not easy, and there are different ways to interpret what a law says versus what it may mean. But here, it is spelled out very clearly that they are allowed, and what the requiorement for them is. I just wonder why, if the laws is pretty specific here, and tited covers are allowed, why they make a big deal about the mach, but never have pulled over the Escape. I know the answer really, but just wondered aloud I guess. I have talked to several different guys, and can't get the same answer from anyone. I think some have pet infractions they like to issue, and the TR Mach does not go unnoticed. It just seems odd to me. Especially since I am not a kid, not a racer (ok, mostly), no traffic tickets, nothing to warrent getting pulled over, and i did my homework before I put them on. I have not had any problems for a while, but still seems funny.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:29 PM   #81
San Pedro Mach
Resident Subaruista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixfire
First off, Ill also try to answer any questions to the best of my ability. Its worth noting Im a Federal cop, not a city cop, so things differ slightly, but not much.
Not trying to be smart, but what's the diffrence between the two??
San Pedro Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:34 PM   #82
rickthestick
Registry Liberator

There sure a lot of cops registered here....I may have earned another pullover LOL
Old 01-30-2006, 11:45 PM   #83
Fenixfire
Its stock....No really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Pedro Mach
Not trying to be smart, but what's the diffrence between the two??
Well, there is actually quite abit of difference lol. As a federal officer we are assigned to perform law enforcement duties on military/federal installations. Military installation being a base like Kirtland AFB and a federal installation being something like Los Alamos National Labs as examples. Our jurisdiction is limited to these areas, and a persons civil liberties in these areas are very different than if they were in the city. For example, when you enter a military/federal installation your vehicle and all of your belongings are subject to search at any time without cause. In the city, an officer cannot search your vehicle or belongings without consent or probable cause. As I stated earlier, you cannot carry a private weapon onto a installation. In city, you can carry your weapon wherever you want except onto private property and in areas where it is marked that no firearms are allowed.

Essentially, the laws are much more strict and you have fewer civil liberties.
Fenixfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:05 AM   #84
San Pedro Mach
Resident Subaruista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixfire
Well, there is actually quite abit of difference lol. As a federal officer we are assigned to perform law enforcement duties on military/federal installations. Military installation being a base like Kirtland AFB and a federal installation being something like Los Alamos National Labs as examples. Our jurisdiction is limited to these areas, and a persons civil liberties in these areas are very different than if they were in the city. For example, when you enter a military/federal installation your vehicle and all of your belongings are subject to search at any time without cause. In the city, an officer cannot search your vehicle or belongings without consent or probable cause. As I stated earlier, you cannot carry a private weapon onto a installation. In city, you can carry your weapon wherever you want except onto private property and in areas where it is marked that no firearms are allowed.

Essentially, the laws are much more strict and you have fewer civil liberties.

Thanks bro.
San Pedro Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:18 AM   #85
Mach&Roll
On the aftermarket trail

Yeah I didn't see that there was so many men in blue on here. That is cool. I feel an even better bond with this site.

2005 Mustang Gt
* 20" wheels
* Flowmaster Axel Back Exhaust
* K&N CAI Intake
* SCT custom tune
* Pypes X-Pipe
* Shaker 1000 audio system

2004 White Mach 1
* Super Forty Flowmaster Mufflers
* Bassani On/Off road X-pipe
* Air Silencer Removed
* K&N Drop in Filter

Mach&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:55 AM   #86
STG

Quote:
In Calif we do not have a Right to Carry law. However, you do have the right to carry a firearm in your place of business and your home, as long as you are not a convicted felon or have an active restraining order against you. You may use that if you believe in your heart (and any reasonable person in the same situation would as well) that your life or the life of another is in serious jeapordy, you may use deadly force against the other person to get them to stop their actions. Never shoot to kill, just make the other person stop what they are doing. Sometimes a well placed shot is needed.
Hey Dave,

I'm going to have to look up California case law on this. Women do this crap all the time. They shoot to wound. Given the fact that you are only supposed to shoot if you believe you are in fear of your life or great personal injury, you can open yourself up to a nasty lawsuit.

"Your Honnor, if the defendant truly believed his life was in danger, he would have killed my client. Since he shot my client in the arm, he obviously didn't believe my client was willing to kill him."

Some poor California crime victim admitted to shooting to wound, not kill and the jury was pursuaded that he wasn't truly in fear of his life of great personal injury. The crimal was awarded significant damages. I think the poor guy was also convicted of illegally shooting his assailant.
STG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:10 AM   #87
Mustanger2

Quote:
Dale, I have told you a dozen times (again with the puns)......we have graduated from coffee and donuts to Starbucks and croissants back in the 90's. We;ve come a long way, man!

I dunno! I caught a local gendarme coming out of the donut shop one afternoon with TWO dozen donuts!!! and loved his expression when I said "It's true!... Cops eat donuts!" He said he just KNEW he was gonna get some comment! LOL... he then graciously let me take a pic of him in uniform in the cop car with the box of donuts!! We both had a good laugh... nice guy!
Old 01-31-2006, 08:05 AM   #88
FordMan
I Am Cornholio!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopacko

Everytime I goto Texas I see folks wearing their guns out in the open and it seems to work. I have been in restaurants where the waiter had his gun on his hip.
Not in Texas. Right to carry laws here require that the individual keep the handgun concealed at all times, unless of course it is being used in a self defense situation where deadly force was required. Open display of a gun in a holster or brandishing a gun to intimidate others would result in suspension or revocation of the individual's permit.
FordMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:48 AM   #89
kopacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMan
Not in Texas. Right to carry laws here require that the individual keep the handgun concealed at all times, unless of course it is being used in a self defense situation where deadly force was required. Open display of a gun in a holster or brandishing a gun to intimidate others would result in suspension or revocation of the individual's permit.
They must have changed it. I haven't been there since '98-'99 ish. I swear the two different waiters had small caliber glocks on them.

One cool thing in Tennessee is you can carry with your weapon in plain view. While I would never do that (kinda gives away the element of surprise), I have seen people do it.

SCT XCal 2 Tune
3/4" Shaker Extension
2001 Cobra Tail Lights
Old 01-31-2006, 08:53 AM   #90
kevsrcode

Quote:
This is for all police officers in states with right-to-carry laws. What has been your experience with and/or your opinion of allowing citizens to carry concealed handguns.

I'm an officer in Texas, where we have right to carry laws. Both of my in-laws are concealed handgun license holders and I am an advocate of the program. When someone has a CHL (Concealed Handgun License) it indicates that they were willing to jump through the hoops and get the training and background checks (and spend the money) to follow the law. This usually means they are not bad people. Also, it gives the bad guys a moment of pause, as they never know who may be armed. Another benefit for us is that the people with these licenses have a lot to lose if the screw up, so it's another incentive for them to keep following the law.
kevsrcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:57 AM   #91
kopacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsrcode
I'm an officer in Texas, where we have right to carry laws. Both of my in-laws are concealed handgun license holders and I am an advocate of the program. When someone has a CHL (Concealed Handgun License) it indicates that they were willing to jump through the hoops and get the training and background checks (and spend the money) to follow the law. This usually means they are not bad people. Also, it gives the bad guys a moment of pause, as they never know who may be armed. Another benefit for us is that the people with these licenses have a lot to lose if the screw up, so it's another incentive for them to keep following the law.
Are they allowed to carry in plain view?

SCT XCal 2 Tune
3/4" Shaker Extension
2001 Cobra Tail Lights
Old 01-31-2006, 09:12 AM   #92
kevsrcode

No. It is specifically prohibited and the handgun license holder would be subject to having his license suspended. The only thing that I can think of is if the waiters were carrying under the exepction to prosecution that says its ok to be in possession of a weapon on your own property or when being employed to protect the property of a third person (i'd have to double check the law to get the official language.)
Old 01-31-2006, 09:14 AM   #93
kopacko

Ok thanks.

Private citizens cannot carry in a location that sells alcohol for consumption. But they are permitted to carry where it is sold (i.e. Gas station, etc.), except where prohibited by the business.

SCT XCal 2 Tune
3/4" Shaker Extension
2001 Cobra Tail Lights
Old 01-31-2006, 09:21 AM   #94
FordMan
I Am Cornholio!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsrcode
True, the training and background check were very thorough in my opinion. I have had a CHL since it was first authorized in Texas, and have heard very little negative reporting from the local news media regarding the right to carry laws. Reciprocity with other states right to carry programs continues to steadily improve.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:38 AM   #95
lisaz28
Here's Tanner...

In Texas, Constables and even Game Wardens have been known to write tickets. There is a lot of competition these days for the best spot to setup radar on DFW freeways. My question is when did these guys receive the authority to write speeding tickets???

2010 Camaro 2SS, Victory Red, 6 speed
Magna Flow Exhaust (dealer installed) SOLD

2007 Red Ninja 250 SOLD

2002 Red Z28, t-tops, 6 speed SOLD
Mods: Lid and Holley Air Filter, 4.10 Gears, Y-Pipe, Magna Flow Exhaust, bypass pipes, ported TB, ET Streets
Best times:
12.272 in 1/4 @ 113.87 mph (1/16/05)
7.919 in 1/8 @ 88.52 mph (1/16/05)

<><
lisaz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:42 AM   #96
FordMan
I Am Cornholio!!!

I know, I got "radar-ed" by a Tarrant County Constable on I-20 in Arlington recently.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:21 AM   #97
Mach1 EH
original owner

This is a VERY interesting thread.
Good knowledge being absorbed here.
I do many miles in the continental US so it is good to see what goes where.

I have clear covers over my tags & fortunately I have not been asked to remove or fined in the states I have driven through.
Might be because I am on the Interstate hwy 'passing through'.
I forget which state but my cross country drive to Las Vegas in 2004 one state had a whack pile of speed traps on the Interstate I was on. Either CO or UT, whoa. I will bet on CO. going over the mountains, vehicle speed can get away from you. Scary when at the top and it is wet snow.

The police do get a bad rap from some civilians.
My hats off to all you law enforcement staff.
Thanks EH.
2003 Mach1 DSG - original owner (1 of 1595) IUP, MGW black locking fuel door, sequential flashers, K&N, Mach1 scuff plates, ID tags, MRT shifter, Borla cat back, Steeda full length subframe connectors, 3pt STB, AFS black chrome Mach1 Heritage 17 x 9 & 17 x 10.5 shoes, MRT hood struts.
BIRTHDATE - 04/09/2003 ,<-- thx Donna

2012 Shelby GT500 Perf white, SVT PP (SVT Track Pack), Electronics Package, Borla exhaust
Mach1 EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:33 PM   #98
kevsrcode

Quote:
In Texas, Constables and even Game Wardens have been known to write tickets. There is a lot of competition these days for the best spot to setup radar on DFW freeways. My question is when did these guys receive the authority to write speeding tickets???
Under the Texas Code of Criminal Proceedure, any licensed peace officer has the authority to issue citations for traffic offenses if they are in their jurisdiction. For state officers (DPS, Parks and Wildlife,etc.) that's anywhere in the state. County officers are county wide and municipal officers are city wide. (For traffic offenses). The State and County officers will usually file their charges through the JP court or County Court systems (at least that's the way it is in the Houston area) where Municipal officers file through Municipal court.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:29 PM   #99
IMachU
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by STG
Hey Dave,

I'm going to have to look up California case law on this. Women do this crap all the time. They shoot to wound. Given the fact that you are only supposed to shoot if you believe you are in fear of your life or great personal injury, you can open yourself up to a nasty lawsuit.

"Your Honnor, if the defendant truly believed his life was in danger, he would have killed my client. Since he shot my client in the arm, he obviously didn't believe my client was willing to kill him."

Some poor California crime victim admitted to shooting to wound, not kill and the jury was pursuaded that he wasn't truly in fear of his life of great personal injury. The crimal was awarded significant damages. I think the poor guy was also convicted of illegally shooting his assailant.
Stan: The theory is to shoot to stop someone's threat to your life. Not shoot to wound. People are getting that all mixed up. If you shoot someone in the head, it stops their aggressive attack on your life. If they are killed in the process, well, sorry. It is not the intent of the victim to kill the other person, just to stop their attack and preserve life. If you go into court and say, "Yes, jury of my peers, I shot to kill that guy," you will be looked at in a different light here in the land of fruits and nuts. But if you say, "Hey, guys....I shot him to save my life and get him to stop what he was doing. Unfortunately he didn't stop before he lost his life," you will be seen as a true victim, not someone bent on revenge for his attack against you. Do y'all see the difference here? The difference is a reverence for human life, which all deadly force decisions MUST BE BASED UPON. I hope this clarifies things.

2003 DSG 5 speed IUP Born June 25, 2003
K&N Drop-in Filter, Magnapack Catback, MRT black chrome tips, MRT shifter
277.1 HP (321.4) 296.4 (343.8) TQ SAE (with 16% powertrain loss calculated, before mods), Sirius satellite radio, MGW black on black locking Bullitt fuel door, MGW goodies - sold on 7-19-07
IMachU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:46 PM   #100
kopacko

Much better explanation IMU