2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 02-17-2021, 12:30 AM   #26
TKat13
Mach-T

Re: 03 Mach 1 open heart surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty67 View Post
The hydraulic force of grease vs the hydraulic force of Wonder Bread. Which will be more fun? =)

Been a busy week so I never got the pics up from last weekend (and the website was down for a bit).

So I just tried posting a bunch of pics from Google photos and that totally doesn't work. I'll make a new post with some pics....
do the bread... since I have done the grease.

all my photos are from google photos, I view them in slideshow then grab the link of the pic; but you have to make sure the album is public first.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:35 AM   #27
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:

How much HP does this free up? Who knows but I figured while I was doing all this other stuff I might as well swap this pulley just for the hell of it. What do you guys think?
I would wager that you won't actually notice it in your butt-o-meter.

But, the MMR unit looks way cooler... I might get one just for that reason.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 02-21-2021, 10:15 PM   #28
Rusty67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKat13 View Post
do the bread... since I have done the grease.

all my photos are from google photos, I view them in slideshow then grab the link of the pic; but you have to make sure the album is public first.
I'll see if I can get the google photos to work, I'll double check the permissions on them, thanx. Also I've added Wonderbread to the shopping list for this coming weekend =)

Quote:
I would wager that you won't actually notice it in your butt-o-meter.

But, the MMR unit looks way cooler... I might get one just for that reason.
Ya, the total reduction in rotational mass is for REALLY min/maxing every last ounce of HP but since it looks so cool and it doesn't exactly break the bank, so why not?

Got the front main seal off the donor motor today but I couldn't get the new one in. Stuck the new one in the freezer for an hour and it went right in. Also my OTC bushing service set had the perfect size "seal driver" in it. OTC 39976 if anyone is wondering.
Attached Thumbnails
front main seal new.jpg   bushing tool.jpg  
Rusty67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:22 PM   #29
Rusty67

I haven't gotten as much done this weekend as I wanted to. I have been totally worn out, had a strange sleep issue this week for no reason 2 nights so I'm down like 8 hours of sleep for the week right now. Haven't been able to catch any extra Z's so I'm running low on energy.

Last weekend I pulled my front bumper off and removed my oil filter relocation setup. I ended up just cutting the hoses since i need to replace them anyways. I'll need to take this all apart and clean everything thoroughly to make sure there aren't any metal shavings in any of the nooks and crannies in there. Probably need to replace the gaskets in the adapter block for the motor as well.

If you guys don't have any oil filter relocation setup, it is worth it for 3 reasons. First, you don't spill oil all over your steering rack every time you change the oil, second you can use the older 5.0 pushrod filter instead of the tiny tiny baby 4.6L filter and third you get a little more oil capacity for your oil system. All of these are things i think are good. There are obviously tons of kits out there for this but I ended up building out my own. Not sure if it was any cheaper but I got it done my way and I've been happy with it for years.
Attached Thumbnails
Oil filter relo.jpg   oil filter relo close up.jpg  
Old 02-21-2021, 10:34 PM   #30
Rusty67

Last weekend I also pulled the sway bar out and then unbolted the AC pump from the block. I tied some rope to the sway bar mount on the passenger side of the car and hung the AC pump off to the side.

I'm hoping I can pull off the same thing on the drivers side with the power steering pump but I think the only way to get to one of the mounting bolts is to remove one of the lines

This weekend I pulled the rest of the suspension off of the front of the car. My MM CC kit bump stops were absolutely thrashed and completely deteriorated. I put in an order for a new pair yesterday, I had no idea they had taken such a beating over the last few years. They were still in great shape the last time I'd seen them.

I'm probably going to take this opportunity to install the Global West front control arm bushings I'd bought a while back. I'm particularly unhappy with the Energy suspension kit that I got in there a while back. It has never fit quite right even though I replaced the metal bushing shells in the arms. I might post a thread on that if you guys are interested in it but I'm not going to touch that project until I've got the donor motor in the K and the K back in the car.
Attached Thumbnails
AC on sway bar mount.jpg   AC tied up.jpg   front suspension off1.jpg   front suspension off2.jpg  
Old 02-22-2021, 02:31 AM   #31
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
I haven't gotten as much done this weekend as I wanted to. I have been totally worn out, had a strange sleep issue this week for no reason 2 nights so I'm down like 8 hours of sleep for the week right now. Haven't been able to catch any extra Z's so I'm running low on energy.

Last weekend I pulled my front bumper off and removed my oil filter relocation setup. I ended up just cutting the hoses since i need to replace them anyways. I'll need to take this all apart and clean everything thoroughly to make sure there aren't any metal shavings in any of the nooks and crannies in there. Probably need to replace the gaskets in the adapter block for the motor as well.

If you guys don't have any oil filter relocation setup, it is worth it for 3 reasons. First, you don't spill oil all over your steering rack every time you change the oil, second you can use the older 5.0 pushrod filter instead of the tiny tiny baby 4.6L filter and third you get a little more oil capacity for your oil system. All of these are things i think are good. There are obviously tons of kits out there for this but I ended up building out my own. Not sure if it was any cheaper but I got it done my way and I've been happy with it for years.
What is the "joes'" unit doing? I have a relocation kit but no joes...
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 02-22-2021, 02:33 AM   #32
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
Last weekend I also pulled the sway bar out and then unbolted the AC pump from the block. I tied some rope to the sway bar mount on the passenger side of the car and hung the AC pump off to the side.

I'm hoping I can pull off the same thing on the drivers side with the power steering pump but I think the only way to get to one of the mounting bolts is to remove one of the lines

This weekend I pulled the rest of the suspension off of the front of the car. My MM CC kit bump stops were absolutely thrashed and completely deteriorated. I put in an order for a new pair yesterday, I had no idea they had taken such a beating over the last few years. They were still in great shape the last time I'd seen them.

I'm probably going to take this opportunity to install the Global West front control arm bushings I'd bought a while back. I'm particularly unhappy with the Energy suspension kit that I got in there a while back. It has never fit quite right even though I replaced the metal bushing shells in the arms. I might post a thread on that if you guys are interested in it but I'm not going to touch that project until I've got the donor motor in the K and the K back in the car.
You are so close to going tube K-member and coil overs. frees up a ton of space FWIW... not trying to add to your budget.. .lol
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 02-22-2021, 01:33 PM   #33
Rusty67

Quote:
What is the "joes'" unit doing? I have a relocation kit but no joes...
The Joe's Racing adapter lets me put an oil temp sensor in without restricting the oil flow. I might be able to dig up the part number for you if you want.

Quote:
You are so close to going tube K-member and coil overs. frees up a ton of space FWIW... not trying to add to your budget.. .lol
I know, I know.... I almost bought a full Maximum setup but I just want to get the car back on the road with as little effort as possible. When I do a coyote swap I'll be going full Maximum.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:00 AM   #34
ASH302
Soldier for Christ

making progress, looking good, like your new setup for the oil filter too.

ASh
2013 RED Dodge Charger R/T Sold Nov 2014
2002 custom Blue 02 Auto Trans AM Sold June 2015
1998 Cobra Black Sold summer 2016

Current
2009 Ford F350 FX4 March 2017 (work truck)
2003 OW 5.0 Mach 1 Aug 2020

ASh
ASH302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:07 AM   #35
Rusty67

Progress has been slow the last couple of weekends. I've had some trouble getting the right tool to set the rear main seal. The old pushrod V8s were so easy, pull the old one out and press the new one in, DONE! These modulars have a specific depth you have to press the rear main seal in to and then some metal thing called an oil slinger in front of it (or behind depending on how you look at it). I had ordered the tool to set the seal but it turned out to be the wrong one. I called OTC and got the correct part number. The right tool might get here by Friday but I'm not holding my breath.

This last weekend I ran a tap into the exhaust stud holes and installed the new exhaust stud kit I ordered from LMR. I also installed the new pilot bearing. I didn't end up using the bread trick. I saw how big the void was behind the bearing in the crank and chickened out. Just borrowed a pilot bearing puller from the local AutoZone.

I also replaced the bump stops on my front struts. They looked really bad so I ordered a new pair from Maximum. Honestly, they look totally shot on the outside but on the inside they looked brand new. I'm wondering if they were shot or not but they weren't too expensive so I'm not worry about it too much. New ones are in.
Attached Thumbnails
strut bumb stops.jpg  
Old 03-17-2021, 02:16 AM   #36
Rusty67

Here are a couple shots of the MMR head coolant mod installed on the back of the motor. One is a close up of the drivers side head, if you look closely you can see the bracket to the right of the aluminum adapter has been cut off. Ford put 2 bolts in the bracket that holds the hard line for the coolant that runs through the valley cover. I don't think 2 were needed here and apparently neither did MMR.

The second pic shows the whole mod installed.
Attached Thumbnails
mmr head coolant mod closeup.jpg   mmr head coolant mod installed.jpg  
Old 03-17-2021, 02:25 AM   #37
Rusty67

The drivers side motor mount was an absolute bastard to get off the motor. The bright side is that with it off, I think I've removed the last rusty bolt from the motor. From this point on, I'm hoping not to worry about rusty bolts on the donor motor.

When I looked at the nut that held the ground strap to the motor mount, I was worried. When I put my socket wrench on there, it had about as much structural integrity left as a Ritz cracker and crumbled apart exactly like a cracker would with any force applied to it. Of course it didn't have the common decency to disintegrate completely, it just tore off every bit of usable surface on the nut. I had to cut it off with an angle grinder and then whack the remaining part off of the stud in 2 sections with a cold chisel.

Of course, once the nut was off I tried to get the bolt/stud out and the head of the second bolt on there or stud or whatever it is also rounded right off. In order to get access to it with a grinder, I had to cut a tab off the motor mount (because my grinder is small and didn't have enough reach with the disc) and then cut the motor mount off to get enough clearance to put some vice grips on the stud. Once I actually got vice grips on the stud, it came out with a moderate amount of cursing.
Attached Thumbnails
motor mount post surgery.jpg   motor mount rusted stud.jpg  
Old 03-17-2021, 07:22 AM   #38
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

Are there any specific curse words that work better than others? Mine seems oblivious to most of the ones I've used!

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:46 AM   #39
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

I love those Kirkland microfiber towels. Can't beat the price vs performance in detailing and dirty work LOL.
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:26 PM   #40
Rusty67

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongtho3 View Post
Are there any specific curse words that work better than others? Mine seems oblivious to most of the ones I've used!

Mostly I've been swearing in Italian but I've been watching some Irish TV shows recently so I'm adding to my arsenal.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:22 PM   #41
Rusty67

Just wanted to post this up for anyone else in case they need the info. The replacement exhaust stud kit I bought from LMR is Dorman part number 03411. The kit comes with 10x M8-1.25 studs and 10x M8-1.25 nuts.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:52 PM   #42
Rusty67

Here are the last few pics I hadn't posted from previous weekends.

I put a new oil filter/coolant adapter gasket in. I used my Milwaukee M12 right angle die grinder to clean up the gasket surfaces on the block and adapter. Man, I REALLY love this little RA die grinder, it has been killing it on gasket cleanup duty. I also used it when I did the rear plate on the motor when I pulled the rear main seal out and had to get rid of all that RTV so I could lay a fresh bead down. Anyways, the oil filter/coolant adapter has been in for a few weeks. My progress has been slowing down recently, it is COLD in the garage. At least for me it is.

After I got the oil filter/coolant adapter all done I took the RA die grinder to the mating surface between the trans and the block. It is nice and shiny now =-)
Attached Thumbnails
oil filter adapater block side dirty.jpg   oil filter adapter dirty.jpg   oil filter adapater block side clean.jpg   oil filter adapater clean.jpg   rear of motor cleaned flange.jpg  

Old 03-21-2021, 08:17 PM   #43
Rusty67

Please note, OTC 7786 is NOT the correct tool to install the rear main seal on the modular family motors. It is for the 4.0 V6 and has a different bolt circle than the modular V8 crank does. It does slip fit over the crank shaft and has the right OD for the seal. It is possible if you modified the tool to fit the bolt circle of the crank that it would work but I didn't measure if it would set the seal to the same depth as the correct tool does.

The correct tool to install the rear main seal came in this week and I picked up a replacement oil slinger from a local Ford dealer yesterday. They are 10 bucks and change now. The proper tool is actually multiple pieces. There is a part that bolts on over the crank/pilot bearing and a piece that bolts into that. The draw bolt is skinny enough to go through the pilot bearing so you don't have to replace it (which would have sucked because I JUST put a brand new one in). You put the seal onto the installer tool and then bolt it down a little at a time. I did notice it wasn't going in perfectly straight so I have it a little bit of encouragement around the edges with my dead blow to even it out and then finished up by cranking it down until the tool was flush against the rear plate on the motor.

After installing the rear main seal, I grabbed the additional piece of the tool for the oil slinger and pressed the slinger into the block. It went in no problem. The slinger registers into the tool to keep it concentric with the crank.

If you are using a PTFE seal like I used, make sure to clean the crank and your installation tool before installing the seal. PTFE seals must be installed clean/dry. Regular seals require lubricant.
Attached Thumbnails
rear main tool setup on crain.jpg   rear main on tool2.jpg   rear main on tool1.jpg   rear main installed.jpg   oil slinger in tool.jpg  

Old 03-21-2021, 08:22 PM   #44
Rusty67

Ran over the 5 attachment post limit there. Here are the last 2 pics. You can see from the previous post the rear main seal wasn't in, then it was and this is what it looked like after the slinger was pressed in.

I got so excited that I was going to be able to put the clutch/flywheel on but then realized I didn't have the scatter shield/block off plate because I still haven't dropped the old motor/trans out of the car and split them apart yet. I still need to clean the exhaust ports off and get them ready for new gaskets as well as put the new electric water pump in. I also grabbed a new oil pan gasket which I need to swap in. It is now or never on that, I don't even want to think about having to do that in the car. If it is warmer next weekend I'll try to drop the old motor out of the chassis finally.
Attached Thumbnails
oil slinger tool installed.jpg   oil slinger installed.jpg  
Old 03-22-2021, 08:35 AM   #45
ASH302
Soldier for Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongtho3 View Post

My grandpa use to tell me I'm not holding my mouth right, lol. I got so mad when growing up, because he never told me the correct way to hold my mouth. lol. I have passed it on to my kids now and I'm sure they are thinking the same thing that I did.

ASh

Current

ASh
Old 03-22-2021, 08:38 AM   #46
ASH302
Soldier for Christ

Rusty67, you are getting there and I'm sure learning some new things that you didn't know already. I know that I hate being the the middle of the project, but it will all come together soon. Just take your time and enjoy yourself.

ASh

Current

ASh
Old 03-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #47
Rusty67

Thanks, I'm hoping by posting all this information up that other people will benefit from the small details I post up.

This weekend, hopefully, I'll have the motor/trans out of the car.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:56 PM   #48
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

good info, luckily havent had to mess with a rear main yet

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:06 AM   #49
ASH302
Soldier for Christ

Quote:
Thanks, I'm hoping by posting all this information up that other people will benefit from the small details I post up.

This weekend, hopefully, I'll have the motor/trans out of the car.
I believe it will be for someone down the road.
Good luck on your next part.

ASh

Current

ASh
Old 04-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #50
Rusty67

Quote:
You were remarkably right when you said I was so close. Yesterday I got the PS pump off which wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be since I popped the pulley off a while back. I used a ratcheting wrench on the bolt next to the power steering line and ended up not having to disconnect the line so it all went perfectly. After that the last thing I had to do was disconnect the heater core which actually went SHOCKINGLY well. I didn't even have to swear/curse, the passenger side hose came right off the first time and the drivers side just needed slight encouragement from a tiny flat head to get the clips to release all the way.

After that, I just needed to take out the trans mount/k-member bolts and lift the car slowly.
Attached Thumbnails
kmember lowering1.jpg   kmember lowering2.jpg   kmember lowering3.jpg