2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 03-13-2008, 02:24 PM   #101
mach1metalhead

Re: Under Drive Pulleys..and the problems they cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder View Post
Ummmmmmm...................do you have any idea what you must do to install an oil pump? ............or is that too "scientific" for you?
not at all too "scientific", i just figured if you're really that paranoid and "need" the benefit of the UDPs that it would be the solution...

on that note, after i made that post, i started searching, and it's hard as hell to find gears for our oil pumps... would it be those of a cobra? or is this something that ford made specific for each 4v mod motor?
JLT RAI - 1/2" Intake Spacer - Mac longtubes - Mac Prochamber - Borla cat-back - PA Racing k-member - Energy Suspension motor mounts - Eibach Sportline springs - Eibach anti-roll kit - SPC caster/camber kit - Steeda X2 ball-joints - Steeda strut tower bar - Eibach 1" wheel spacers (rear only)
mach1metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #102
mach1metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by my fear View Post
dang you just got told.
told? no.
JLT RAI - 1/2" Intake Spacer - Mac longtubes - Mac Prochamber - Borla cat-back - PA Racing k-member - Energy Suspension motor mounts - Eibach Sportline springs - Eibach anti-roll kit - SPC caster/camber kit - Steeda X2 ball-joints - Steeda strut tower bar - Eibach 1" wheel spacers (rear only)
Old 03-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #103
mach1metalhead

Quote:
Ok..............You want to install UD dampner, but you want to install my oilpump with billet gears.............Walk me thru it.
i don't have the instructions in front of me, nor do i plan on doing it, but i'm the type of person that if i was going to go with UDPs and wanted to be safe, i'd go with the oil pump gears...

also, i don't care how long/difficult something is as long as it gets done...

also, just out of curiosity, do you try to be a **** in every post you make or is it just a coincidence?
Old 03-13-2008, 03:12 PM   #104
R-code17815
The MODfather #7046

I don't think there is ever gonna be a solid yes or no for this, for as many people who say NO, there is just as many people who who say YES.

Billet oil pumps are around 350-400 depending on where you buy them.

If you want every last horsepower and dont want UDP's get an electric water pump....
The never ending "Work in Progress"

RTCTTFMF
R-code17815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #105
mach1metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-code17815 View Post
I don't think there is ever gonna be a solid yes or no for this, for as many people who say NO, there is just as many people who who say YES.

Billet oil pumps are around 350-400 depending on where you buy them.

If you want every last horsepower and dont want UDP's get an electric water pump....
found some for a cobra for $282 (pre-shipping), and that's why i was asking because i didn't think that was a terrible price and after seeing that, i definitely think that's not a bad price...
Old 03-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #106
R-code17815
The MODfather #7046

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1metalhead View Post

also, just out of curiosity, do you try to be a **** in every post you make or is it just a coincidence?

If he didn't we'd think he was sick!!!

The never ending "Work in Progress"

RTCTTFMF
R-code17815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #107
mach1metalhead

Quote:
Ummmmm................Who said this? "or is that too "scientific" for all of you guys????"

Glass houses, bubba!

To be perfectly honest with you, ANYONE stupid enough to replace an oilpump JUST TO BE ABLE TO RUN A UD DAMPNER, needs to have their head examined!

It's ok dude. You made a comment before realizing exactly how friggin complicated it was. Don't get all butthurt when you get called on it. You're only 18. Believe me! You're gonna make a whole lot more silly statements in your life and the sooner you learn to live with that fact the easier your life will be.
i did not say it was smart to do that, just said it would be the ONLY SMART WAY TO DO IT...

and i, in no way, thought it would be a simple upgrade, i honestly don't care... most people say headers are hard, and i plan on doing that, so difficulty isn't really an issue with me...
Old 03-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #108
slow.04

udp = broken oil pump at 7000 rpm been their done that . and ford esp. sucks new motor $ 8000. and no under drive pulleys stock oil is junk. never again.
4.30 gears,moser 31spline axles , motorsport diff cover, welded axle tubes ,hpm lower control arms,adjustable upper arms, bfg drag radial, bassani cat back, bassani off roads with cats , under drive pulley k.n air filler, perdator , a little nitrous,cobra fuel pump assy. php intake spacer b&m hammer shifter pi.converter assy lentech valve body ,window tint 20%. jon lund tuned .
slow.04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #109
mach007

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow.04 View Post
udp = broken oil pump at 7000 rpm been their done that . and ford esp. sucks new motor $ 8000. and no under drive pulleys stock oil is junk. never again.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but i couldn't understand what you just posted.

So your oil pump shattered at 7krpm? Highly Conceivable with large load and increased amplification.
New motors from ford range within 8k? Woah..Thats not right!

Stock oil pumps are junk? I couldn't agree with you more!

If it shattered at 7k rpm that there is a more reasonable and solid explanation as to why it would fail. Vibrations and amplitude would've increased dramatically as opposed to a DD at 3.5K rpm on highway or city drive.
Oh well...
mach007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #110
mach007

forget it....

Last edited by mach007; 03-24-2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: not worth the argument
mach007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #111
slow.04

what i was trying to say is that my oil pump came apart at 7000 rpm and i had udp. So i took in to the dealer for some warr. work they decline my claim
with all that b.s i had to deal with from the dealer i just took my truck into the dealer donahoo ford in baltimore md and got all stuff and went back home rebuild my self, now it a 310ci 11.0 to1 n/a motor kooks headers canton oil pan the list go's on the short of it is the oil pump is a weak link .
So a $55 dollar oil pump trash's $6000 motor if replace with a OEM, i would have loved to got a used motor and put the rest of the money towards the payments
4.30 gears,moser 31spline axles , motorsport diff cover, welded axle tubes ,hpm lower control arms,adjustable upper arms, bfg drag radial, bassani cat back, bassani off roads with cats , under drive pulley k.n air filler, perdator , a little nitrous,cobra fuel pump assy. php intake spacer b&m hammer shifter pi.converter assy lentech valve body ,window tint 20%. jon lund tuned .
slow.04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #112
djeb2004

So who has toasted a motor due to udp's? I mean has everyone with a mach had problems with these?

Its got the juice!!!!!
djeb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #113
birdman941
Torque wins!

If you are thinking about risking your engine
to gain MAYBE 2 or 3HP, think again.
Evidently some people think they know more than Al Papitto,
and most other modular engine builders.
You'll gain more from an Aluminum driveshaft and flywheel.

5.4 32V NA
Streetable 404/387 26.56 MPG

"I don't like repeat offenders,
I like DEAD offenders" Ted Nugent

"A big engine hardly working is more efficient
than a little engine screaming its head off" Jay Leno
birdman941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:06 PM   #114
na svt

Good pulley options

March sells large diameter PS pump and alternator pulleys. When used with the stock dampener they should free up a few hp without compromising the oil pump gears.

I gained 11rwhp with a March Fluid Dampener. I dunno if it would have resulte in an oil pump failure or not.
na svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #115
birdman941
Torque wins!

The March website specifically states
they are not to be used on a Mach 1, or don't fit a Mach 1.
I called a while back and asked why, and they had no answer.
The fluid damper type is probably less risk than the elastomer type.

5.4 32V NA
Streetable 404/387 26.56 MPG

"I don't like repeat offenders,
I like DEAD offenders" Ted Nugent

"A big engine hardly working is more efficient
than a little engine screaming its head off" Jay Leno
birdman941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:54 PM   #116
na svt

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman941 View Post
I know, but they do fit.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:03 PM   #117
tmhutch
4v>3v>2v

There was a mid season change (2001) with pulley alignment that applies to all late 2001 Cobras and 03/04 Mach's. I thought this was the limitation as Fluidamper didnt make one for the late cars. At least, that's my understanding. Do they make a version for each or are you saying the single version they sell actually applies to the later style water pump and pulley alignment, or both?
tmhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:40 PM   #118
JVRMach

Anytime you change your cars from stock trim you are asking for more troubles. The more power you add the more things are going to break and the more issues your going to have. You just have to ask yourself if everything your doing is worth it. If you race your car all the time anyway its going to break at some point and pointing fingers at the underdrive pulleys along I think is hard to prove. Just my 2 cents. Good post.
JVRMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #119
weaver
mustangs rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman941 View Post
So the pulleys mentioned in this thread won't work? http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=86069
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #120
rich1
AUTOMACHTIC

Here we go again .. .I will just leave it with what Sean Hyland says..
"There seem to be increased instances of oil pump failure when Some brands of underdrive pulley kits are used. I believe this is due to inadequate damping with the reduced diameter harmonic balancer provided .Steeda and ASP both make pulley sets that include a built- in Harmonic Balancer ." Improper installation using the old bolt and wrong torque have been factors too.

I installed the Steeda ones on my car and have had no problems peroid.Gained 10hp/12tq with the install . I think that the failures are mostly due to the 5- speed cars that rev higher than the auto . Combine that with the missed shift ,over -rev factor with inferior pulley sets that could be a problem.
UPGRADES...Tokico Illuminas Borla SS Catback , Steeda Underdrives , Strut Brace , HPM Lower K Brace , L /C Arms , U /C Arms , HPM PanHard Bar, K&N FRPK 2, GOODYEAR GT1 , MRT- H-Pipe , JLT VaporTraps , SLP-12'" Tips! , FRPP Shorty 1 5/8 Headers , Brembo D/S & PBR D/S Rotors ,FRPP Alum.DS ,Roys 3/8 Spacer , SVT Focus 255 pump SCTsw Chip PRO-DYNOjet NA 300.01hp /315tq (Auto) ,Innovate W/B ,Compucar Wet Kit (90jet) + Heater and E Gauge * 360 hp/385tq 12.5 -1/4 @112
rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:43 AM   #121
Ben99GT
4V GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
So the pulleys mentioned in this thread won't work? http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=86069
Those pullies have nothing to do with the harmonic damper.
Ben99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #122
na svt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99GT View Post
Those pullies have nothing to do with the harmonic damper.
this thread should be renamed to "Under Drive Dampeners..and the problems they cause."
Old 11-06-2008, 02:06 PM   #123
JVRMach

I have the steeda crank pulley on my 5 speed Mach and your telling me its going to trash my motor? This sound like something Steeda should cover is it happens. Where should I get a better oil pump from?
JVRMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #124
Stopsign32v

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVRMach View Post
I have the steeda crank pulley on my 5 speed Mach and your telling me its going to trash my motor? This sound like something Steeda should cover is it happens. Where should I get a better oil pump from?
Leave it alone

JLT RAI | 1/2 spacer | Catback | 4.56s

7.76@87.8mph
Stopsign32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #125
kidordinn
Mr. Ordinn

Unhappy Re: Under Drive Pulleys..and the problems they cause.

I'm having Steeda install their under-drive pulley because the original Ford harmonic dampener failed and is rubbing against the timing chain cover. This is on a 2003 Mach1 5-speeder with 39K miles, never raced. Ford quality for you.

Anyway, Steeda claims that they have not heard or read from any Steeda customer that OEM an oil pump on the Mach1 was affected by the replacement of the harmonic dampener with their own under-drive pulley. It's difficult to decide who is right, but at this point since the Mach is out of warranty, I might as well try this one. And if the oil pump fails, it'll be another crucial moment to ponder about Ford's quality and decide if I'll ever buy again their "quality" products.
kidordinn is offline   Reply With Quote