2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:48 AM   #1
StangFever2846
MMM, SHAKER!!!

PSA! Alignments and Clearcoat on Wheels

Just an FYI to all members planning on having an alignment done on any vehicle you care about. Before getting an alignment done check to see what kind of sensors the alignment machine uses. Stay away from places that use alignment machines where the sensors touch the face of your wheels like the ones used at some Ford Quick Lane shops. I didn't even know that this kind of stupid design even existed, let alone that it was being used by Ford dealers. All it takes is for the vehicle before you to have mud/dirt/brake dust on their wheels and a lazy tech who doesn't clean the sensor mounting surfaces between vehicles to royally screw up the clearcoat finish on your wheels. Nice pretty clearcoat scratches on all 5 spokes in a circular pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx1CUsnAxiM

Mods: I put this in the general section to hopefully reach more members.
#108 of 9652

Dyno tuned, C&L 85mm CAI, MRT Catted H, Mac SS Catback, JLT Oil Separator, MGW Short Throw/Orange handle, Rich1's Shaker Air Diverter, Fiore Clutch Quad/FWA, AFS Mach 1 MAC Black Replicas 17X9/10.5, Nitto NT555 G2's in 275/315, Steeda (Sport Springs, Bumpsteer Kit and X2's), Tokico Blues, 2003 Cobra Clutch, Explicit Auto's Aluminum Finish Retro Rings, IUP upgrades, Craig's No Drill LP Bracket, MGW Satin Finish Interior Bling, Web Electric Sequentials

Last edited by StangFever2846; 12-09-2016 at 03:18 AM. Reason: typo
StangFever2846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #2
logan03co

Re: PSA! Alignments and Clearcoat on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangFever2846 View Post
Stay away from places that use alignment machines where the sensors touch the face of your wheels like the ones used at some Ford Quick Lane shops. I didn't even know that this kind of stupid design even existed, let alone that it was being used by Ford dealers.
Hmm - Around here, that's all I see anyone use these days.

IIRC, those "piggy back, clamp around the tire style" are some of the newest wheel targets offered by Hunter and are even used on their "HawkEye Elite" systems (AKA: top of the line).

Those new wheel adapters are advertised as "Faster setups, no metal-to-metal contact, and no knob twisting!" as well as: "Grips tire, not rim, No metal-to-metal contact & Only protective ring contacts rim"

I guess it's like anything though, if items are not utilized properly by the technician (wheels not wiped down, or their contact pad is contaminated), damage could occur.

That sucks though...

I always used to cringe when they used this clunky style (direct metal on metal at the wheel lip):

A couple upgrades completed & many more waiting!

Last edited by logan03co; 12-09-2016 at 07:02 AM.
logan03co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:24 PM   #3
StangFever2846
MMM, SHAKER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan03co View Post
Hmm - Around here, that's all I see anyone use these days.

IIRC, those "piggy back, clamp around the tire style" are some of the newest wheel targets offered by Hunter and are even used on their "HawkEye Elite" systems (AKA: top of the line).

Those new wheel adapters are advertised as "Faster setups, no metal-to-metal contact, and no knob twisting!" as well as: "Grips tire, not rim, No metal-to-metal contact & Only protective ring contacts rim"

I guess it's like anything though, if items are not utilized properly by the technician (wheels not wiped down, or their contact pad is contaminated), damage could occur.

That sucks though...

I always used to cringe when they used this clunky style (direct metal on metal at the wheel lip):
I would've much rather they used the style in your pic than the "new and improved style" used on my Mach. As long as the tech is careful there's no issue with the sensor clamping on the outer edge of the wheel. That lip sees contact when the tires are mounted anyway. The clearcoated machined face, however, should never be touched imo.
#108 of 9652

Dyno tuned, C&L 85mm CAI, MRT Catted H, Mac SS Catback, JLT Oil Separator, MGW Short Throw/Orange handle, Rich1's Shaker Air Diverter, Fiore Clutch Quad/FWA, AFS Mach 1 MAC Black Replicas 17X9/10.5, Nitto NT555 G2's in 275/315, Steeda (Sport Springs, Bumpsteer Kit and X2's), Tokico Blues, 2003 Cobra Clutch, Explicit Auto's Aluminum Finish Retro Rings, IUP upgrades, Craig's No Drill LP Bracket, MGW Satin Finish Interior Bling, Web Electric Sequentials
StangFever2846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #4
HAEG
Heppasketties

If you only had mentioned swirl marks on your rims I would ask if you go through a car wash that may have made those marks. It was winter and my Mach1 was my only wheels at the time and it needed a wash. Took it to a supposed brushless car wash, however the wheels are cleaned by a piece of equipment with a spinning brush and it made swirl marks in a circular motion around my entire rim as the car rolled through the wash.
Needless to say I never went back.
M1R Member #1829
2011 Shelby GT-500 Grabber Blue
W/SVT Performance Package
Born on Friday, 6-25-2010
Purchased 8-19-2010

2003 Zinc Yellow Auto I/UP (Build #8280 of 9652)
Born on Thursday, 7/17/03
Purchased 8-18-2003 first owner
Sold 8-19-2010 bought GT500
Purchased again 3-3-2017 fifth owner
Purchased for my wife to drive (but she knows I love the car)
HAEG is offline   Reply With Quote