2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Fluid Systems (coolant, oil, fuel)

Old 09-14-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
LXS

Fuel gauge reads empty on full tank

Did a quick search and only found issues concerning bad fuel pumps. Anyway, I replaced my fuel pump about 3 years ago, don’t have issues at all with the exception being a fuel gauge that reads empty! Once in a great while it’ll work and show me how much gas I’ve got, but it seems like right after I turn the car off then back on again, the gauge needle stays at empty! I called around a few chain stores (Ford included...but it’s discontinued now thru them) and apparently the float indicator (sender, or whatever it’s called), is not sold separately. Back when I replaced mine, I purchased the pump only and resumed the stock/original housing. So am I incorrect in thinking that it’s the “float?” Or do I have another issue? Kinda frustrating having to guess every time I need to fill up, I’ve already ran outta gas once! Definitely don’t want to have to have that happen again! Thanks for the help!

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
t45 swap (BEST decision of my life!!!)
Don't fear the gear!

I'm not a real mechanic, I just play one online...
LXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:02 PM   #2
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Re: Fuel gauge reads empty on full tank

Ive heard that before about it being all 1 assembly to get a new fuel level sensor.

The fact that it works now and then makes me think the float is fine, if it was sunk it would stay sunk. It could be a loose wire to the sender or it not making contact anymore.

I wanna say I saw somebody adapt a terminator sending unit but I might be on dope.

When I did my return system I grounded the sender to the wrong spot and got nothing. I cant remember if I had to ohm it or what but as you slide the sender up and down you see either the voltage or the ohms change on a sliding scale.

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #3
LXS

I guess I’m gonna have to drop the tank and see what I see?! I’ve avoided dropping the tank because I didn’t want to drop it for nothing if I didn’t have a replacement part on hand to install. Looks like I’m gonna have to drop it anyway?! I know it’s not hard to do, I’m just too frustrated to get my mind focused on doing it at the moment. Thanks for the reply! :cheers:

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 09-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
01yellerCobra

The float itself is different between the terminators and other cars. The sending units are similar though. I have one for an 01 cobra in my 04. Only real difference is half to empty happens quicker than I remember with the stock assembly. You should be able to find just the sending unit. Amazon might even carry it.
2004 Mystichrome Cobra-Accufab SBTB and plenum, Steeda 2.8" upper, Bassani X, Borla Stingers, Mcleod RXT, MGW shifter, Level 5 halfshafts, chrome FR500's, Stiffler's FIT system and DS safety loop, GT pumps, BA3000, tuned by owner
01yellerCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #5
LXS

I’ll check it out, thanks 01yellerCobra!

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 09-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #6
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

the only other thing to do before dropping the tank I can think of would be to find the fuel sender wires in the harness somewhere and probe em to make sure its not the gauge on the dash, which seems pretty unlikely to me. Outside of that, you're dropping the tank. If you havent recently replaced it might wanna have a new filler neck to tank grommet on hand just in case

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #7
not a gt

This EXACT thing happen to me after a fuel pump swap..got tank in and noticed piece of plastic on the ground with copper on one side..it was a piece inside float assembly the arm rubbed on to complete circuit to fuel gage..got a new one off ebay..whole assembly float and all..2 wires and done.
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:04 AM   #8
LXS

Quote:
Originally Posted by not a gt View Post
This EXACT thing happen to me after a fuel pump swap..got tank in and noticed piece of plastic on the ground with copper on one side..it was a piece inside float assembly the arm rubbed on to complete circuit to fuel gage..got a new one off ebay..whole assembly float and all..2 wires and done.
If you don’t mind me inconveniencing you a bit, what is the seller’s name, or what word did you use to find it on eBay’s search? Thanks! :beers: :cheers:

K&N RAI
Magnaflow O/R X-pipe
Mac catback
Don't fear the gear!

Old 10-06-2018, 04:27 AM   #9
not a gt

I found it on parts geek but out of stock, says for naturally aspirated 2003 4.6L..Ford Motorcraft part number is W0133-1863037..yea impossible BUT, on ebay type in

Fuel pump module assembly Onix EB301M, it is whole she bang for 01to04 4.6l including Mach, can just take sending unit and float off and xfer and have a spare fuel pump... $139.
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote