2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > Surveys & POLLS

Surveys & POLLS Post Registry-wide gerneral surveys and polls here.

View Poll Results: Stick or Auto
Manual Transmission 17 60.71%
Auto Transmission 11 39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
shakn

Question 2011 2012 5.0 auto or manual

Hey guys since most of us have heard of the problems the manual transmission have on the new 5.0 would you still consider getting the 6 speed manual or avoid transmission problems and go with a 6speed auto? This question is aimed mostly at manual transmission loyals.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
JimsZ

I thought about picking up a 2012 with auto, even though I love the manuals. This decision wouldn't have been based on reported issues with the 6-speed, but the fact my wife can't drive a manual. Just bought a Hayabusa so gotta put the newer GT little lower on my want list

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
JimsZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast

Re: 2011 2012 5.0 auto or manual

Since they've made running changes over the past 12-14 months, I'd probably be less worried about getting the manual but yet still thankful for the 5 yr/60000 mile powertrain warranty to cover it!
VIN 388409, Built ??/??/????
Delivered 7/12/2019 w/122,696 miles
Tony Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
shakn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso View Post
Since they've made running changes over the past 12-14 months, I'd probably be less worried about getting the manual but yet still thankful for the 5 yr/60000 mile powertrain warranty to cover it!
Yes that's true but since then hopefully they already fixed the problem by now. I want to get a new 5.0 but its going to be my daily driver so i need it to be something i can depend on, i want to get a stick shift but if its going to give me problems im leaning towards the auto but then i know ill regret the decision later on for not getting the manual Tough decision
Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakn View Post
Yes that's true but since then hopefully they already fixed the problem by now. I want to get a new 5.0 but its going to be my daily driver so i need it to be something i can depend on, i want to get a stick shift but if its going to give me problems im leaning towards the auto but then i know ill regret the decision later on for not getting the manual Tough decision
There are a number of issues that were reported (noise, grinding, missed shifts) that were addressed by those changes. If you get a 2012 model that is later in the run that just finished up a few months ago or a 2013, the likelihood is higher that you wouldn't run into them.

However, since those have been in service for less than 6 months, it will be hard to tell about the effectiveness of the changes. This is not like ANY vehicle, including the beloved Mach 1, which also had issues with grinding.

If you want to play it conservatively, it might be worth waiting for the next generation of the Mustang in 2014 (2015 model year) because by then, this transmission will have been in production for 4 years. One could assume the reliability would be higher.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
iudelt89
United We Stang

IMO There is no point in buying a sports car with an auto. To each his own though i guess. Just get a 2013 with a manual and be done with it. They have addressed the issues since the 2011. I've never been a fan of getting the first year of a new car as there are often some bugs to work out.
Black Staggered FR500's, SSS Adrenaline Cat-Back, JBA o/r h-pipe, MGW Short Throw Shifter, H&R SS Springs, Bilstein HD's, MM Bumpsteer, MM CC Plates, Kenny Brown Extreme Subframe Matrix, FRPP Alum Driveshaft, 2000 Cobra R front brake kit, MM pan hard bar, MM LCA's, K&N FIPK Intake, Bama Tune, Shaker Diverter, FRPP 3.73s, Moser 31 spline axles, FRPP diff cover, FRPP Traction-Lok diff, Kenny Brown Brake Ducts

'04 Black 5-Speed Mach 1, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
iudelt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iudelt89 View Post
IMO There is no point in buying a sports car with an auto.
IMO, buying a Lamborghini Aventador with a fast-acting paddle shifter single-clutch 7-speed semi-automatic would have a heck of a lot of points
Old 05-01-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
iudelt89
United We Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso View Post
IMO, buying a Lamborghini Aventador with a fast-acting paddle shifter single-clutch 7-speed semi-automatic would have a heck of a lot of points
Ah yes, this would be an example of a car with an auto that is worth having. However, it has a manual mode which I would assume is the mode most people would use for spirited driving. The mustang uses a traditional automatic transmission so I would not count it as being on the same playing field when compared to twin-clutch (or in this case single clutch) semi-auto. Even in the lambo I would opt for the traditional stick shift if it were available.

I have driven a lexus IS-F on a number of occasions and what I found was the twin clutch paddles are great to have on the track, but are not nearly as fun as a traditional stick for everyday driving. It really comes down to the difference between feeling like you are a part of the car as opposed to simply being along for the ride. For me, driving an auto or paddle shift car just makes you feel disconnected.

IMO traditional manual > paddle shift (semi-auto) > automatic.

This is not in terms of track effectiveness, simply pure enjoyment.
Black Staggered FR500's, SSS Adrenaline Cat-Back, JBA o/r h-pipe, MGW Short Throw Shifter, H&R SS Springs, Bilstein HD's, MM Bumpsteer, MM CC Plates, Kenny Brown Extreme Subframe Matrix, FRPP Alum Driveshaft, 2000 Cobra R front brake kit, MM pan hard bar, MM LCA's, K&N FIPK Intake, Bama Tune, Shaker Diverter, FRPP 3.73s, Moser 31 spline axles, FRPP diff cover, FRPP Traction-Lok diff, Kenny Brown Brake Ducts

'04 Black 5-Speed Mach 1, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
iudelt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
gokstate74
United We Stang

I too heard about manual probs, but didn't want the auto for enthusiast reasons, so my '12 is a 6spd. However, the auto is very good and I don't think a person would be very disappointed with it at all.

As for mine--no problems after 7 months, and er.....uh...500 miles traveled.
2004 Mach 1, 18" DD FR500s...sold 7/20/11...
2012 GT 5.0 Conv....Coyote howlin'...
gokstate74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast

Quote:
Ah yes, this would be an example of a car with an auto that is worth having. However, it has a manual mode which I would assume is the mode most people would use for spirited driving. The mustang uses a traditional automatic transmission so I would not count it as being on the same playing field when compared to twin-clutch (or in this case single clutch) semi-auto. Even in the lambo I would opt for the traditional stick shift if it were available.
For a car with an engine that has a high torque output, I think that is what would make the difference in the sporting feel, around town or in high performance driving situations.

Quote:
I have driven a lexus IS-F on a number of occasions and what I found was the twin clutch paddles are great to have on the track, but are not nearly as fun as a traditional stick for everyday driving. It really comes down to the difference between feeling like you are a part of the car as opposed to simply being along for the ride. For me, driving an auto or paddle shift car just makes you feel disconnected.
If the transmission can snap off quick shifts, that, along with any acceleration or braking feeling and excellent steering, would give that "connected" feeling.

Quote:
IMO traditional manual > paddle shift (semi-auto) > automatic.

This is not in terms of track effectiveness, simply pure enjoyment.
I agree with this assessment in the "sporting feel" department in the cars I can afford.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
weaver
mustangs rule

A friend of mine had a 2011 manual and never had an issue. However, he granny shifted that poor car. The only time the car saw powershifts were when I got behind the wheel

For me, manual all the way.
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
H-TownMachI

Auto and Circle D
H-TownMachI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #13
73mach03

Auto with paddle shifting gives you more potential involvement than a regular auto, but I find that the DSG on my GTI is so good that I rarely use the paddle shifters. The car still has the feel of shifting and respective barks from the exhaust.

People who need their sport car driving to involve a clutch and shifter will rarely be satisfied with anything else.

I wouldn't base my car buying decision on the potential problem of a manual, if I truly wanted the manual. If the auto meets your needs, then go for it. If you want the manual, get it.
73mach03 is offline   Reply With Quote