2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Technical Q&A. HOW TO's, TSB's & Warranty Items

Technical Q&A. HOW TO's, TSB's & Warranty Items Have a Problem? Technical Questions & Answers. HOW TO's & TSB's, Warranty Issues

Old 02-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
Alfonso

Trouble Codes - Running Lean?

I bought my car with no CEL in October, and after about 500 miles of driving, the CEL popped up. I borrowed my friend's SCT Tuner for his V6 so I can read the trouble codes. I had to go emissions testing so I cleared the codes while I was at it. After another 500 miles of driving, the same codes popped up.

P1131 - lack of ho2s, 11 switches, sensor indicates lean (b1, s1)
P1151 - lack of ho2s, 11 switches, sensor indicates lean (b2, s1)

I'm pretty sure it's running lean because of light-colored smoke and lack of carbon build-up in the exhaust tips. I heard it could be a number of things besides bad o2 sensors, from vacuum leaks to a lack of a tune. I haven't touched anything since this problem occurred because of my lack of time and money being a college student. If someone were to give me a list of solutions starting from the most probable solution to the least, that would be great!

Engine Modifications:
JLT Performance Ram Air Intake
Accufab Twin 60mm Throttle Body
SLP Loudmouth II Cat-Back Exhaust
Kooks Long Tube Headers
Kooks Catted X-Pipe

Thanks,
Alfonso
Alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
vertigyn
Azure Blue Mach

Re: Trouble Codes - Running Lean?

Has the car been tuned? Our cars are infamous for running lean with just a CAI. My car had a catback and CAI when I got it and was running lean to the point it would turn itself off. Got a tune and it was all good from then on out.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Alfonso

I do not have a tune. The most I've heard from people is to get a tune or replace o2 sensors. Other things I've heard are to clean the MAF sensor and check for vacuum leaks. I just don't know where to start cause my wallet can only spend so much lol
Old 02-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
vertigyn
Azure Blue Mach

Well, a tune can fix it all and make the car run better in general. I gained a good amount of HP and TQ after a tune on my car (something like 30hp and 40tq).

The tuner can see exactly what is going on - A/F mixture, what sensors are sending the codes and then can adjust accordingly. He can turn the sensors off if wanted as well - they don't really help with anything anyways - just emissions crap (we don't have that stuff in FL, so it worked for me).
Old 02-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
blown03Mach1
8LB YNER

checking for vacuum leaks will cost you about $5. Just buy you a can of carb cleaner and spray it around the intake manifold while the engine is running. If while spraying the cars idle picks up (because it is sucking in the cleaner) then you will know it is a vacuum leak and where it is at.

Suspect with the JLT and your LT's you are lean and need a tune.

TR 2003 (Jezebel) sold Mar 12...
blown03Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
Alfonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigyn View Post
Well, a tune can fix it all and make the car run better in general. I gained a good amount of HP and TQ after a tune on my car (something like 30hp and 40tq).

The tuner can see exactly what is going on - A/F mixture, what sensors are sending the codes and then can adjust accordingly. He can turn the sensors off if wanted as well - they don't really help with anything anyways - just emissions crap (we don't have that stuff in FL, so it worked for me).
I'm highly considering a tune... Hopefully all is well after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown03Mach1 View Post
checking for vacuum leaks will cost you about $5. Just buy you a can of carb cleaner and spray it around the intake manifold while the engine is running. If while spraying the cars idle picks up (because it is sucking in the cleaner) then you will know it is a vacuum leak and where it is at.

Suspect with the JLT and your LT's you are lean and need a tune.
I doubt it's a vacuum leak though because the engine runs very smoothly; it's just showing the code and blowing white smoke.

I'll update after whatever I do to my car, thanks guys
Old 02-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
vertigyn
Azure Blue Mach

How much white smoke are we talking about? Like just a little upon start up or a constant thing when the car is running?

White smoke is usually indicative of a coolant leak into the engine - not a good thing...
My car, for a bit, had a little smoke come out when starting and we believe it is just a little oil leak.

But those leaks don't really have anything to do with the lean codes.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
Alfonso

There's very little white smoke, all the time. My exhaust tips barely have any carbon build-up compared to other cars.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
vertigyn
Azure Blue Mach

Hmm, car shouldn't smoke like that (I don't think this is related to the tune/lean issue but could be wrong). Do your coolant levels remain constant? How about the oil?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
Alfonso

Both coolant and oil levels are fine... Think I should just get a tune and see what happens? And will a tune get rid of the annoying rev hang...?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #11
vertigyn
Azure Blue Mach

A good tuner can help with the rev hang but it might just be that you need a new IAC (Idle Air Control unit). Or just need to clean it with some carb cleaner.

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=18330

A good tuner might also be able to give you some insight on the smoke. My tuner is very knowledgeable about all things Mustang - so he's always been able to answer my questions about most everything.

I don't know if you are anywhere near this: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Horsep...57464467620638

But Hermann did my first tune for the Mach and it was great. He is kind of pricey, though...so shop around too. Just make sure you trust whoever you go with and they have a good history/recommendations.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
Alfonso

Isn't there more than to just cleaning the IAC? http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=18330

I was planning to get an SCT tuner... I called them and they said it could fix my problems but I feel like they only said it to get me to buy it lol
Old 02-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
vertigyn
Azure Blue Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
I was planning to get an SCT tuner... I called them and they said it could fix my problems but I feel like they only said it to get me to buy it lol
Choose a tuner before buying a device. When I spoke of getting a tune - I meant, go get a custom dyno tune with a professional. The handhelds aren't that useful unless you know how to use them. Some tuners don't require them at all and tune directly to your ECU - which will save you some money by not buying a handheld tuner. Other tuners use SCT or Diablo and will require you to buy the one they use.

Call around, get quotes, ask questions.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
vertigyn
Azure Blue Mach

As for cleaning the IAC, there's a mixed camp on that. It's a pretty cheap part so you could just go buy a new one and maybe it will fix your issue (I did this but it didn't solve my issue). To try and clean it, just remove it from the car (near the throttle body) spray it with carb cleaner, clean the TB while you are there (spray it - the blades, open it up and spray the inside of the housing around it) and put it all back together. Not hard at all.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
Alfonso

Well the SCT tuner comes with a custom tune from them after receiving a mod list from the buyer... So I'm either getting that or spending more money for a pro tune at Excessive Motorsports in Manassas
Old 02-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #16
vertigyn
Azure Blue Mach

A dyno tune is always superior but it comes down to the price difference and what you can afford at the time. With minor mods, it probably won't be much of a difference with the "e-mail tune" vs. the Dyno tune.

Does the tune that would come with the SCT include free updates? Say it doesn't fix your idle issue, will they tweak it and send you the new revised tune for free? Or if you change gears, will they fix that and send you the update?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #17
blown03Mach1
8LB YNER

Quote:
A good tuner can help with the rev hang but it might just be that you need a new IAC (Idle Air Control unit). Or just need to clean it with some carb cleaner.

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=18330

A good tuner might also be able to give you some insight on the smoke. My tuner is very knowledgeable about all things Mustang - so he's always been able to answer my questions about most everything.

I don't know if you are anywhere near this: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Horsep...57464467620638

But Hermann did my first tune for the Mach and it was great. He is kind of pricey, though...so shop around too. Just make sure you trust whoever you go with and they have a good history/recommendations.
I thought Hermann was good stuff, but search the web and over the past year there have been numerous people talking about paying for work to be done and Hermann taking their money without completing the work....

Search around for details.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #18
vertigyn
Azure Blue Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown03Mach1 View Post
I thought Hermann was good stuff, but search the web and over the past year there have been numerous people talking about paying for work to be done and Hermann taking their money without completing the work....

Search around for details.
Hmm, that would be sad...it was a long time ago when he worked on my car but he was top notch back then.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #19
blown03Mach1
8LB YNER

Quote:
Hmm, that would be sad...it was a long time ago when he worked on my car but he was top notch back then.
I know what you mean as I was surprised as well. I ahd always heard nothing but good stuff about hm.

It is on the net so I take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited by blown03Mach1; 02-08-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #20
Alfonso

Quote:
A dyno tune is always superior but it comes down to the price difference and what you can afford at the time. With minor mods, it probably won't be much of a difference with the "e-mail tune" vs. the Dyno tune.

Does the tune that would come with the SCT include free updates? Say it doesn't fix your idle issue, will they tweak it and send you the new revised tune for free? Or if you change gears, will they fix that and send you the update?
Yes, they do include free updates and free tunes. http://www.americanmuscle.com/x3-cus...er-9904se.html