2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
machdude

Are these things normal?

So this is my first Mach and my first v8/manual car.

The transmission is noisy no whines no grinds just noisy almost like a constant scraping but it doesn't sound like the thing is going to break apart it just makes the noise. Most noticeable in 5th at low speeds. Only happens while cruising at a constant speed

The car kinda jerks around when I take off during normal slow operation(I think this may be that I'm not used to such a heavy clutch pedal and idk if the clutch is original or aftermarket)

How long does the clutch cable usually last? I've heard of them snapping on people and I'm wondering if I should buy a spare.

What is the widest tire I can put on the stock wheels? It has 255 45's at the moment and ill be in need of a set pretty soon.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
machdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
mach18604

Re: Are these things normal?

Hard to say without hearing it in person..

But sounds like normal to me! since you have never had a manual V8 mustang
Old 01-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
glittle75

Trans noise is normal-ish. Get some good fluid in there, and get yourself a shifter gasket from CobraBob, google it. best $10 ive spent on that trans.

Jerky-ness is probly form you having an aftermarket clutch. If its really jerky, im guessing you have a puck-style like a Spec stg 3 or the like,

Clutch cables are know for snapping, but they are easily attainable. Not prone enough to snap for me to keep a spare with me. If you do get a spare, make sure its FORD, not aftermarket. NON ADJUSTABLE is what you want. The adj. ones do snap, quickly.

I would stick a 275/35 or 45 on them and be done. They are 17x9's and 275 series will be good without alot of bulge.
glittle75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Cwaysvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by machdude View Post

The transmission is noisy no whines no grinds just noisy almost like a constant scraping but it doesn't sound like the thing is going to break apart it just makes the noise. Most noticeable in 5th at low speeds. Only happens while cruising at a constant speed

The car kinda jerks around when I take off during normal slow operation(I think this may be that I'm not used to such a heavy clutch pedal and idk if the clutch is original or aftermarket)

How long does the clutch cable usually last? I've heard of them snapping on people and I'm wondering if I should buy a spare.

What is the widest tire I can put on the stock wheels? It has 255 45's at the moment and ill be in need of a set pretty soon.

Yeah sounds pretty normal. Only thing I could think of for you to try to fix the noise you describe would be Bob's shifter gaskets.

Most people get away with running a 315 tire on the rear pretty easily. But thats on a 10.5 wheel. I agree with 275 on the stock wheels.
Cwaysvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

most snapped cables are aftermarket from what Ive seen, if its still a stock cable I wouldnt worry about it

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 AM   #6
machdude

Thanks for the advice guys. Ill take a look into those shifter gaskets. The trans has some fresh Mobil 1/ Lucas (90% Mobil 1 auto trans fluid) mix oil as far as I know from the previous owner.

The noise wasn't much of a bother to me I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I should be concerned about.

The clutch cable is the adjustable type which is surely aftermarket so I guess I'll be heading to the dealer in the near future.

I did kinda figure the clutch was a stage clutch. I've been driving manual cars daily for 8 years and this has been the most difficult to adjust to. Not to mention the short shifter that's on their.

I was looking into the 275 tires and the prices aren't too outlandish so I may go that route.

Thanks again.
machdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
liv2roc

i have had mustang all my life but foxbody mustang, this is my first one with a 4.6 and mine feels like it has backlash in the rearend or trans. its a hard car to get used to driving without it jerking when changing gears. my question is this normal ? I drive a 84 mustang as my DD so when I get in my mach it takes me a while to get use to it. so is it just me or could there be a problem with car ?
Old 01-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
Mach828
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by machdude View Post

-yep i've had three 3650s in my car and each one made that noise in fifth. You can add some sound deadner, a good gasket, and good fluid to help quite it down

-not sure what you mean by jerks around. But compare to a more comfortable car, they are definitely much more jerky off the line and not very smooth.

-I would replace the cable whenever you replace the clutch. They start to stretch and the engagement isn't as clean anymore, which can lead to improper wear on the clutch and transmission. I've snapped a few cables, but I hit the pedal with a lot of force, and bang gears often. They seem more prone to snap with stiff clutch/pressure plate setups, aftermarket clutch quadrants, and an aftermarket firewall adjuster were you set the engagement point to high on the pedal travel. I don't think its worth keeping one on hand, but its something to be aware of. You can still drive the car home if it snaps on you.

-255/45 is a good size. You can sneak a 275 on the back, but it won't handle the corners as well. Your better off getting a wider rim if you want wider tires.

Responses in bold

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
mr-proper

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2roc View Post
i have had mustang all my life but foxbody mustang, this is my first one with a 4.6 and mine feels like it has backlash in the rearend or trans. its a hard car to get used to driving without it jerking when changing gears. my question is this normal ? I drive a 84 mustang as my DD so when I get in my mach it takes me a while to get use to it. so is it just me or could there be a problem with car ?
same here , always did it,, ooh and engine is noisy too, just to give you some heads up, 5gear rattle when cruising, rattle coming from shifter brezel, lol how do the italian say?? ITS CHARACTAAAAAR, ITSAAA PASSION ,
mr-proper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Swfttwoeightone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach828 View Post
Responses in bold
How would I be able to drive my car home if the clutch cable is broken? My cable broke a few weeks ago and this would have been helpful to know then...
Swfttwoeightone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #11
shadowmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swfttwoeightone View Post
How would I be able to drive my car home if the clutch cable is broken? My cable broke a few weeks ago and this would have been helpful to know then...
You dont need the clutch to shift gears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXIIoXrMIME
shadowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
liv2roc

my sons 76 f100 clutch rod broke and I drove it home by switching the engine off to stop and starting it back to go and changing gears without a clutch is easy just have to match the engine rpm's with the gear you want to go in.