2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 10-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
Magzpony

Completely overheated

So I'm leaving the bank yesterday morning and I notice what looks like smoke or steam out the back end. I get to work (1/4 mile from bank), lift the hood and notice fluid sprayed over the overflow tank, fuse cover, batter, etc. I get it home (by the grace of $%D), but not before the TEMP gauge pegs red. I open the rad cap and the bypass plug...empty. I pulled the plugs, all look normal, no oil or water. I should mention that for a little while I noticed a small amount of fluid under the passenger side front end. Everytime I checked underneath, I saw nothing.

Going to pick up some anitfreeze and distilled H2O. Do you guys have any thoughts of what happened? How serious?

Thankz guyz.
Magzpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
wcjr

Re: Completely overheated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magzpony View Post
So I'm leaving the bank yesterday morning and I notice what looks like smoke or steam out the back end. I get to work (1/4 mile from bank), lift the hood and notice fluid sprayed over the overflow tank, fuse cover, batter, etc. I get it home (by the grace of $%D), but not before the TEMP gauge pegs red. I open the rad cap and the bypass plug...empty. I pulled the plugs, all look normal, no oil or water. I should mention that for a little while I noticed a small amount of fluid under the passenger side front end. Everytime I checked underneath, I saw nothing.

Going to pick up some anitfreeze and distilled H2O. Do you guys have any thoughts of what happened? How serious?

Thankz guyz.
BTW: For future reference if you car is overheating, shut it off and get it towed home. Better safe than sorry. Blowing the head gaskets cost a pretty penny to fix if you have to get a shop to do it.

So are you saying that you can leave the car sitting for a few hours and come back and there is a puddle of antifreeze on the passenger side?
wcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
wcjr

Sounds like the seal on the water pump may be bad...possibly

Check around the water pump and see if there is a puddle of antifreeze right below it on the timing cover, right in that little valley.

I would also change the oil to see if it is milky looking.
wcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
acreature
You are freaking out....

Burp

2003 Azure A/T - JLT RAI - 90mm Pro-M MAF - Bassani mid-length headers - Bassani SS O/R-X - Magnaflow SS C/B - FRPP 4.10s - Ported Lower Intake
PHP 3/8" Intake Spacer - PI Stallion 3000 stall - Meziere EWP - SCT Xcal2 - Eibach Pro-Kit - MM CC Plates - 314/324 rwhp/tq - Meter4it Chase Sequentials - MRT Hood Strut Kit
acreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
RandyStinchcomb

bad CCRM or Coolant Fan took a Dump
RandyStinchcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
Magzpony

Car didn't show overheating until I stopped. I checked the dipstick (which seemed lower than usual, but the color wasn't milky (looked normal).

As for the puddle under the car... It didn't happen all he time, just every once in a while there would be a small pool (about the size of a tortilla shell). I'm going under to check the stat and if there is a pool under the water pump. I'll let ya'll know.

So far, what little coolant in the overflow tank doesn't show any oil, the oil looks normal, the plugs are clean and dry... What am I missing?
Old 10-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #7
Beefy Nugz

Quote:
Car didn't show overheating until I stopped. I checked the dipstick (which seemed lower than usual, but the color wasn't milky (looked normal).

As for the puddle under the car... It didn't happen all he time, just every once in a while there would be a small pool (about the size of a tortilla shell). I'm going under to check the stat and if there is a pool under the water pump. I'll let ya'll know.

So far, what little coolant in the overflow tank doesn't show any oil, the oil looks normal, the plugs are clean and dry... What am I missing?
Flour or corn? Thats a big difference that needs to be specified for us to give accurate information. LOL
4:10'S
MAC LONG TUBES WITH O/R-X AND MAGNA FLOWS.
ORANGE BLAST P/P INTAKE W/ SPACER
PSR K-MEMBER WITH A-ARMS AND COILOVERS
P1SC 9LBS. 422HP - 390TQ
11'S AND COUNTING
Beefy Nugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
Magzpony

Ok... from underneath only the driver's side is wet w/ coolant (lines, stat, etc.). Visually, the stat housing seems intact.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #9
Fenixfire
Its stock....No really!

I dont recommend you drive the car till you find out whats wrong. Otherwise, you have a good shot at blowing your motor and that will suck bad...

You definitely have a leak somewhere.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #10
nickster
certified MACH 1 nut

maybe its just a hose clamp on 1 of the hoses going to the thermastat housing, they are crapy if used more than 1,s . i had to change 1 so i bought new 1,s for all
shm stage 2 cams,dynomax longtubes,2 3/4 h pipe homemade,excal2,wideband commander,proracers package,60#injectors,2400 mas air,eaton,forged motor,4# metco ring,1 of a kind pully bridge,and great #s on a stock eaton 476.88rwhp-451.74rwtq
nickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #11
Magzpony

Ok now I'm just plain pissed... I ran the car up on ramps so that I could test the t-stat (which worked fine). I began to refill the overflow tank and the bypass. Ran the car to get it up to OT. I just checked the oil again to make certain no problems...the level is even lower than yesterday... WTF!!!

I'm about to throw in the towel...
Old 10-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #12
Magzpony

If the Rad cap was faulty, would it cause a loss of coolant? I only ask because under the hood looks like spray from the overflow tank, specifically the cap. What do you think?
Old 10-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #13
DannyStyle22

Quote:
Ok now I'm just plain pissed... I ran the car up on ramps so that I could test the t-stat (which worked fine). I began to refill the overflow tank and the bypass. Ran the car to get it up to OT. I just checked the oil again to make certain no problems...the level is even lower than yesterday... WTF!!!

I'm about to throw in the towel...
did you check the oil right after you turned it off? If so oil could still be up in the heads workin its way down. Make sure your are checking it under the same conditions.
DannyStyle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #14
dirty4v

there is fluid around the cap because the pressure limit was exceeded and the cap did it's job to bleed pressure off
Old 10-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #15
DannyStyle22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty4v View Post
there is fluid around the cap because the pressure limit was exceeded and the cap did it's job to bleed pressure off
what he said
DannyStyle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:23 PM   #16
nickster
certified MACH 1 nut

maybe just air locked , take out bleed plug in the crossover and blow in the overflow tank till you get fluid in the cross over
shm stage 2 cams,dynomax longtubes,2 3/4 h pipe homemade,excal2,wideband commander,proracers package,60#injectors,2400 mas air,eaton,forged motor,4# metco ring,1 of a kind pully bridge,and great #s on a stock eaton 476.88rwhp-451.74rwtq
nickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #17
Magzpony

Just wanted to give you all an update. Everything is back to normal. Apparently there was an air bubble. After I drained the radiator and coolant lines and refilled w/ coolant. I topped off the oil I lost due to the overheating and ran it for 30 mins... the idiot gauge was actually lower than ever before.

Thank you to all of you. Your help kept my pony on the street and not couped up in the stable. Thanks again for all the wisdom.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:01 PM   #18
GTSSTANG

Nevermind.. I did not read your last post...
GTSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #19
Magzpony

Funny enough... that is my next question... where is the leak coming from? I really am running out of ideas of why my coolany was so low. To be honest, up until last weekend, I didn't notice it was so low. Once I did, I started to open the rad cap and heard the pressure bleed off. As the pressure was releasing, I noticed the fluid in the overflow tank rising. I'm willing to bet that caused the air pocket since the fluid level was already low.

I'm thinking about pulling the fan/shroud and checking all the lines. Let the fun and games begin...
Old 10-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #20
Magzpony

How do you test the cap or the degassing tank?
Old 11-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #21
Magzpony

I still find a small puddle (3"-6" diameter) evern once in a while. I removed the overflow tank... there's a crack about 2"-3" long. Gonna have to replace the tank. Any ideas what could cause the crack? Any suggestions on what to replace with (stock, aftermarket, etc.)?