2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Body, Chassis & Interior

Body, Chassis & Interior Body, Chassis and Interior mods/discussions

Old 11-21-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
کcяεαмιηĐεмση!

Faded Bumpers

i have a 04 comp orange and the front and rear bumpers have faded to a lighter color from sitting in the sun for four years, is this common? is there anything i can do to fix short of repainting? it's kinda noticable, is there a way to prevent it in the future once i figure out how to fix it?
کcяεαмιηĐεмση! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
rich1
AUTOMACHTIC

Re: Faded Bumpers

Yep ,Repaint and keep out of sun.
UPGRADES...Tokico Illuminas Borla SS Catback , Steeda Underdrives , Strut Brace , HPM Lower K Brace , L /C Arms , U /C Arms , HPM PanHard Bar, K&N FRPK 2, GOODYEAR GT1 , MRT- H-Pipe , JLT VaporTraps , SLP-12'" Tips! , FRPP Shorty 1 5/8 Headers , Brembo D/S & PBR D/S Rotors ,FRPP Alum.DS ,Roys 3/8 Spacer , SVT Focus 255 pump SCTsw Chip PRO-DYNOjet NA 300.01hp /315tq (Auto) ,Innovate W/B ,Compucar Wet Kit (90jet) + Heater and E Gauge * 360 hp/385tq 12.5 -1/4 @112
rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
کcяεαмιηĐεмση!

had made peace with myself, figure that was only way but i had one shread of hope that there was a miracle in a can somewhere that i could do to fix...............
Old 11-22-2008, 07:08 AM   #4
Bill Hamilton
Mustang owner since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by کcяεαмιηĐεмση! View Post
had made peace with myself, figure that was only way but i had one shread of hope that there was a miracle in a can somewhere that i could do to fix...............

Get a guide dog, a chauffeur, a dark pair of sun glasses, and then poke your eyes out. You'll never notice after that.

I love my Mach but it's got to have the worst paint of any car I've ever had. I've been told that Ford went to a water based paint around 2001 and it's very thin.
My 1970 Mach

2003 Ford Mustang Mach I---Black w/5-speed --- gone but not forgotten
2011 Shelby GT-500 --- Ingot Silver Metallic and 6-speed (Sold and Now Terrorizing the residents of New Zealand)

1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1---White w/351C-4v Shaker Hood scoop and T-5 tranny
2014 Shelby GT-500 --- White/red stripes and 6-speed
2019 Mustang Convertible Premium Package w/automatic

Old 11-22-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
littlemags
finally paid for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hamilton View Post
Get a guide dog, a chauffeur, a dark pair of sun glasses, and then poke your eyes out. You'll never notice after that.

I love my Mach but it's got to have the worst paint of any car I've ever had. I've been told that Ford went to a water based paint around 2001 and it's very thin.
you were told wrong...FORD hasnt gone to water based paint. AND the water based paint systems arent "thinner". We are currently making the switch at my shop. I can tell you one thing...the water system makes blends look fantastic...
826rwhp/720 trq -100 shot NX
9.13@154 on 100 shot
NEW- in progress...
littlemags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

Both of my bumpers have been repainted, not exactly due to those reasons. But for me it was going to be done eventually anyway. The rear wasn't as bad as the front, which the paint was actually starting to fade through to the primer layer. The car has been hand cleaned, mainly clayed, but never machine buffed. The only thing worse than the bumpers was the hood.
Bill H. is right, this is probably the worst paint job I've had on a new car, with the single exception of my Probe GT. Bet you never see one with original paint anymore. They were horrid!

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:29 AM   #7
we3hokies

Im in the same boat with my rear bumper. Whats the ballpark on repainting the bumpers?? thanks.
2003 mach 1 dsg 5spd iup, c&l intake, php intake spacer, slp longtube headers, slp catted x pipe, slp loudmouth, 4.10 gears, mgw shifter, eibach sportline, bilstien shocks and struts, steeda brace, mm caster/camber plates, mm full length sfc's, mm lca, frpp alum driveshaft, black saleen style 18x9's, corbeau fx1 pros, steeda billet pedals, sct tune

Romans 10:9
we3hokies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #8
Unrealford
Mustang owner since 1984

See you guys like to tease about us Northerners parking ours for winter, see , we never get warm enough to fade our paint ..
http://www.dragzine.com/news/moms-ra...2013-schedule/
Unrealford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #9
rich1
AUTOMACHTIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrealford View Post
See you guys like to tease about us Northerners parking ours for winter, see , we never get warm enough to fade our paint ..
On Northern cars the only thing holding the car together is the paint ! Rust city !
UPGRADES...Tokico Illuminas Borla SS Catback , Steeda Underdrives , Strut Brace , HPM Lower K Brace , L /C Arms , U /C Arms , HPM PanHard Bar, K&N FRPK 2, GOODYEAR GT1 , MRT- H-Pipe , JLT VaporTraps , SLP-12'" Tips! , FRPP Shorty 1 5/8 Headers , Brembo D/S & PBR D/S Rotors ,FRPP Alum.DS ,Roys 3/8 Spacer , SVT Focus 255 pump SCTsw Chip PRO-DYNOjet NA 300.01hp /315tq (Auto) ,Innovate W/B ,Compucar Wet Kit (90jet) + Heater and E Gauge * 360 hp/385tq 12.5 -1/4 @112
rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #10
Bill Hamilton
Mustang owner since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemags View Post
you were told wrong...FORD hasnt gone to water based paint. AND the water based paint systems arent "thinner". We are currently making the switch at my shop. I can tell you one thing...the water system makes blends look fantastic...
How does the water system hold up? Like I said, what I have is the worst paint job I've every had on any of my Mustangs going back to 1970. I had several places on the hood chip off the size of dollar bills within three months of purchasing the car new in 2003 and the hood and front fenders were repainted under warranty. The funny part was the Ford dealership didn't have a paint shop so my warranty work paint job was farmed out by them to a Dodge dealership (LOL). Now five years later, that paint job (now out of warranty) has got several dime size chips on the lower hood areas from small rocks. In the past on other cars I've had rock chips but they were miniscule not the size of dimes. I don't know if it's the paint, the preparation, or the material the hood is made of, but I just know it sucks.
My 1970 Mach

2003 Ford Mustang Mach I---Black w/5-speed --- gone but not forgotten
2011 Shelby GT-500 --- Ingot Silver Metallic and 6-speed (Sold and Now Terrorizing the residents of New Zealand)

1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1---White w/351C-4v Shaker Hood scoop and T-5 tranny
2014 Shelby GT-500 --- White/red stripes and 6-speed
2019 Mustang Convertible Premium Package w/automatic

Old 11-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #11
کcяεαмιηĐεмση!

i noticed mine chipping/flaking alot in really small spots but didn't realize it was a weak paint issuse,interesting, and decals on hood have torn edges
Old 11-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #12
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hamilton View Post
I had several places on the hood chip off the size of dollar bills within three months of purchasing the car new in 2003 and the hood and front fenders were repainted under warranty. The funny part was the Ford dealership didn't have a paint shop so my warranty work paint job was farmed out by them to a Dodge dealership (LOL). Now five years later, that paint job (now out of warranty) has got several dime size chips on the lower hood areas from small rocks. In the past on other cars I've had rock chips but they were miniscule not the size of dimes. I don't know if it's the paint, the preparation, or the material the hood is made of, but I just know it sucks.
Bill,
The paint issue has a TSB out on it. There's a link to the copy of it in the TSB section here. If the hood is not stripped down to the plastic/fiberglass or whatever you want to call it, it will not hold. There were prep/primer issues, so theTSB specifically calls for the hood to be completely taken down. I'm hoping mine was, that was what I told them when it was brought to the shop for the work to be done. I have to return it to the shop for some minor detail work on the hood. It'll ebinteresting to see what they say. It'll tell me what actually was or wasn't done on mine. Interesting since it has a 'lifetime' warranty on the work.

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #13
Mean04Mustang
2004 mustang Mach 1

I have noticed the same thing with mine. Its really started to fade in the last year. Really sucks. The hood has always been an issue. Ive never had such a bad paint issue on any car ive owned. Even my expeditions paint is way better for being DD and being a 98. I figured I would replace the front bumber with either an 01 cobra or 03-04 cobra. Rear bumber im not sure about yet. Its faded but nowhere near as bad as the front.

MODS:
-JLT Ram Air kit
-Triple Gauge pod (painted to match)
-Colbalt 2 gauges (oil pres. ,water temp, fuel pres.)
-MAC Catted Pro-chambers
-PHP Intake spacer
-SLP Loudmouth II Cat-back
-Diablo Predator custom tune
-Plasma Booster
-NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
-MGW Shifter w/ red handle
-Kenny Brown Matrix Subframe System
-Ford Racing Aluminum Drive Shaft
-UPR clutch quadrant extreme w/firewall adjuster
Cant fit anymore
Mean04Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:35 AM   #14
cobrakidz

Take a look at some of the newer cars on the road today, the urethane bumpers are usually a slightly different color, something to do with the paint over the urethane I was told by a shop.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:17 PM   #15
Danny

Mine was repainted after a side swipe but a month after the repairs i started noticing these bloches about 6 where it was repainted. As if the paint is fading but how is that possible if it was just repainted? I went back to the shop to get it rebuffed but it still looked the same I asked a couple of friends and they said it might be over spray? Can someone help me out hehe.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote