2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
vadermach

Hype over the 2015 vs '94, '99, '05

Seems to me the unveil of the 2015 is anti-climactic. I was around when the 1994 was released and it had way more hype and a much more radical design change over the previous cars than the '15. Anyone else feeling a bit anti-climactic over this new car?
Suspension Mods: Steeda Strut Tower brace - Steeda Front swaybar - Bilstein HD struts/shocks - MM Caster/Camber plates - MM RLCAs - MM FLSFCs - MM PHB - MM front coil-overs - MM Torque Arm - MM Rear TA springs

Other: FRPP 4.10 gears - TA Diff cover - FR500 Cams - Accufab Throttle body - JBA midlength headers - Matching catted H-pipe - Borla stinger catback - 320rwhp/320tq
Fuel mileage: 25city/28hwy

Last edited by vadermach; 12-28-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: correction
vadermach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
thehubster

Re: Hype over the 2015 vs '94, '99, '05

I do like the new design but I will admit it doesn't look to much different from current design. I can't wait to see what some of the special editions will look like. should be pretty awesome.
thehubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
vadermach

Maybe I'm just not feeling this car. I did not like the 2005+ models either which is why I still have the mach. Maybe if they do another "R" model. The new one is just not enough of a radical change or a step toward a future car, still looks very retro in design to me. Can't please everyone I guess so I'll just hold on to the mach for now. I just remember the hype for the '94 cars was much greater than this car. Maybe just less advertising dollars being spent, not sure.
Suspension Mods: Steeda Strut Tower brace - Steeda Front swaybar - Bilstein HD struts/shocks - MM Caster/Camber plates - MM RLCAs - MM FLSFCs - MM PHB - MM front coil-overs - MM Torque Arm - MM Rear TA springs

Other: FRPP 4.10 gears - TA Diff cover - FR500 Cams - Accufab Throttle body - JBA midlength headers - Matching catted H-pipe - Borla stinger catback - 320rwhp/320tq
Old 12-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

I get what you're saying. The roll out hype on the '94 was a pretty big deal, but nothing compared to the 2005 reveal. The buzz I heard from non-Mustangers was a strong as what I heard from the Mustang faithful. People were really ready to see the real deal cars then. The '99s not so much that I recall, but the Anniv. edition of the cars were nice and led to the Bullit and Mach 1 in many ways.
As of now I talk to so many people that are not only not aware of the 50th coming up, but also of the new car neither coming out or already revealed. I really blame Ford for both of these faults.

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
vadermach

Falcontho3, I agree with you. I think its a different advertising strategy of the mustang by ford. I always thought they touted the mustang as a premier vehicle. It now seems they are appealing to the masses to buy fuel efficient sedans. The mustang used to get them in the showroom so they would buy a Ford versus competition, an excitement generator. They seemed to hype the new fusion, focus ST, and even the upcoming F150 more than the mustang. Now I do not necessarily disagree with the strategy it's just different from the past imho.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
03BumbleBee

Ok! I feel that Ford has done a great preview job of the 2015 Mustang. Take into consideration that the actual production car is still about 7 to 8 months away. Just about every car magazine has had articles on it, Good Morning America had a segment on it, and there has been a blitz on the Internet! The car still has some styling cues on the current model, but side by side I am sure these two cars a light years apart. We own two Mustangs, the Mach and my wife's 98, my neighbors have asked me what I think of the new Mustang coming out, and these are not car people. I think the word is getting out. Just my .02

Welcome to the Mach 1 Cafe!
"Today's Special..Smoked Honda"
Finally a member of 10,000 mile club!
03BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

I've never really paid attention to the hype of any new bodystyle Mustang. The only bodysyle I've liked in the past 20 years is the '87-'93 Fox bodies, and the '99-'04 bodystyle.

I specifically bought my '93GT in September 1993 because I was'nt about to buy the '94 which looked like a Honda to me. After putting up with that '94-'98 bodystyle I got to see the '99 GT in 1999 when a guy in the apartment across the hall bought a brand new GT. I loved the look. Then from 2005 onward I have'nt really liked the Mustang look at all. The 2015 still looks about the same to me.

"She's An Underage Angel With A Dented Halo"-She Needs Rock n Roll---Motley Crue

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

I'd be curious to see if they put anything about the 2015 in a Super Bowl commercial. That would tell me a lot, as well as the whole world.

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:31 AM   #9
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast

I am absolutely STOKED about this car. It really has to be seen in person to be appreciated fully, in my opinion. Also, this car's introduction was really done using the Internet much more so that the last major update back in 2004. There are many stories. photos, and videos out there. Very similar to the S197 with The Mustang Source, a website popped up that seemed to get pretty exclusive content early - Mustang6g.com. I read the forums there daily now and have been for months.

As far as the design goes, people see different elements and compare them to what they find significant in their current cars, forming opinions on that basis. Fundamentally, if some of those early Mustang design elements had not carried over to the 2015, some people would be up in arms and conclude the car was no longer a Mustang.

Interestingly enough, some people, in fact, already claim that! The missing styling cues of driving lights in the grille and the "hockey stick" character line on the side have raised the ire of various people leaving forum comments. Some love the tri-bar tailllights, some think they look overdone. Some love the IRS, some hate it. Etc., etc.

Each generation has had something to offer. My first Mustang was a 1994 GT, which I loved because it was such a big break from the Foxbodies. I absolutely had no interest in those originally. As time, and restyles marched on, I began to appreciate them much more, mainly because I began to see the commonalities and lineage to my next cars - 1996 Cobra, 2000 GT, and then 2003 Mach 1. By that time, I was hooked!!

I've since had a 2007 GT and a 2010 GT. I can say without a doubt that the styling and mechanical evolution really ups it for attracting new customers. However, it still does have enough connection for me so that I am ready to buy a new GT to replace either my 2010 GT or my '01 Bullitt. Well, after having driven my Bullitt recently, it probably will be the 2010 GT.

In short, there is attention on this car within North America, but also in other places in the world where the Mustang is expected to generate 10% of the total volume sold. For this car to carry on, I think it's high time that happens.
VIN 388409, Built ??/??/????
Delivered 7/12/2019 w/122,696 miles
Tony Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
ridingdragon

Well said Tony.
ridingdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
vadermach

I hated the '94 cars when they came out being a die hard fox body fan. I owned two '88s. A notch and hatch and loved those cars. If I could find a clean T-top car I would get it. The '94-98 never caught on for me but I appreciated the whole car design change which occurred then and the same held true for '05. I never liked that car but again the whole car design change was appreciated. I suppose I expected more of a whole car change in the sheet metal but it isn't there this time. This car was said to be a completely new car to bring the mustang away from the retro look. Unfortunately, I think they failed in this attempt. It bears to many similarities to the current car. As you stated of course their are those which would cry foul had the car truly undergone such a transformation just like me I guess since it did not. Like I stated you cannot make everyone happy. I also agree the design must appeal to new overseas buyers and also agree this needs to happen to keep the car going from a sales perspective. I know it's blasphemy to compare a, uh hum, chevy but I think the new corvette is a design towards the future where the mustang may be a quarter step forward. Speaking only of outer design elements here so please don't bring up the apples to oranges comments on how the vette is a sports car compared to a muscle car. I did not really see much advertising on the new vette either but I could have had my head in the sand.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadermach View Post
I suppose I expected more of a whole car change in the sheet metal but it isn't there this time. This car was said to be a completely new car to bring the mustang away from the retro look. Unfortunately, I think they failed in this attempt. It bears to many similarities to the current car. As you stated of course their are those which would cry foul had the car truly undergone such a transformation just like me I guess since it did not. Like I stated you cannot make everyone happy. I also agree the design must appeal to new overseas buyers and also agree this needs to happen to keep the car going from a sales perspective.
Having followed a lot of those discussions about "moving away from retro", I think the definition of "retro" has different meanings, especially when it comes to the Mustang owners and Mustang designers. In fact, if you look at some of the recent articles with the Ford design, they talk about "modernizing the style", with some inspirations from the original 60s Mustangs but other lines and cues that are more contemporary. A lot of speculation started after the Evos concept came out and various folks theorized, "there's the new Mustang". As is often said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I see different people hone in on various styling cues, and extrapolating that all the way to their characterizations of the design's newness. To me, it shows there is a complexity in the styling that was purposeful.

When I hear, it should have been "more radical", I can't imagine the Mustang having the more angular styling profile of the '79-'93 cars, or the long, straight shapes of the '71 or '72 cars. If it was a profile that was like nothing else on the current marketplace, it might have been rejected as "Mustang" and instead might the second iteration of "Probe".

The current articles out there talk about the evolution of the S197 platform and the changes the designers wanted. It is fascinating to me to see a lot of the design sketches that enthusiasts were putting out there ahead of this car. It makes for a ton of varying opinions and ideas, many of which very much still looked to the 60s Mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadermach View Post
I know it's blasphemy to compare a, uh hum, chevy but I think the new corvette is a design towards the future where the mustang may be a quarter step forward. Speaking only of outer design elements here so please don't bring up the apples to oranges comments on how the vette is a sports car compared to a muscle car. I did not really see much advertising on the new vette either but I could have had my head in the sand.
I absolutely love the C7 Corvette! Interestingly enough, I saw that design as a serious reworking of the C6 styling, with hints of certain styling elements back to 60s Vettes. From an overall side profile standpoint, I see a similar wedge design between the C6 and C7. I think what makes it dramatic are the way the angle of the lines intersect each other - they seem "sharper", which imparts impressions of futuristic. When comparing the C6 and C7 to the C5, the softer curved lines of the latter look "older" as opposed to the former ones. However, when the C5 first came out and I saw it revealed, I remember thinking how future looking that design was as compared to the C4 (especially model years '92-'96).

All of this to say that over time, in cars with a long history, some things change and some stay the same - how much of that happens is subject to the varying opinions of the non-design types like me and those who do that for a living.

I feel like an art critic, sort of - haha!

And the marketing exposure of the new Corvette seems similar, although the advertisements appears more now, since the car has been in production for a few months.
VIN 388409, Built ??/??/????
Delivered 7/12/2019 w/122,696 miles
Tony Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #13
medrick
im slow

the internet has ruined everything. everyone is a hater and a badass online so a lot of people just want to bash it just to feel better about themselves. i suspect once it hits the streets people will go crazy about it.

as far as it not being as big of a deal as in the past, i dont think thats it.i think it is just that people become busier and busier with their lives (internet rockstars/haters) that they dont pay attention to things like car releases. its all about the next high (drama).

just my opinion.
medrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
vadermach

Good points all. I really like the design of the new corvette despite being a "Ford" Guy with a Mach 1 and F150. Just saying. I'll definitely take a look at the new mustang when it hits the dealer lots but I can't see swapping the mach for one despite the 50th anniversary. My birthday lands on April 17 which has some mustang significance and I was hoping for an anniversary purchase. Maybe I'll like the 75th anniversary better. Everyone's design opinion differs and its great to hear others views. Great discussion/opinions.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #15
SchwermoRacing

Mechanically I'm excited about the car, but not the body.

Better 5.0
SVO returning
IRS
World Wide helps drive down part prices
A few other small things

The styling is nice, but it's not what makes the 15 an interesting car to me.
SchwermoRacing is offline   Reply With Quote