2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
RnJstel

Funny I guess I am a "new owner" again

Car-Love is weird for sure.

So my local Dodge Jeep happened to get in the Challenger R/T I have wanted. Basic Black 5.7 R/T, 6-Speed and Track-Pack (3.92 and posi rear) with no other real options. I drove the car and loved it as well as my wife. Since trimming the car fleet down pretty much we realized we have no actual "car" to do "car" stuff in. The only thing we have left is her now very built up 08 JK Jeep (which is a two door, now two seat, half door etc), The Mach and Two 84 Anniversary T-Top Foxes. Plus two Triumph Bonnevilles. I also have a company car.

We jointly agreed to let the Mach go since the Challenger is pretty close in the performance department to the Mach but, much larger inside.

The dealer was offering 14K for the trade with the Challenger being out the door for 36K. However, he told us that you should get much more for an outright sale and talked us out of trading it in. Now realize on the 03 Mach we are original owners, the car has 9K on it, never seen rain (except for the Carlisle trips in June) basically spent its entire life in the barn wiped with a diaper and occassionally driven. The only mods being 31 spline shafts, 4:11, Auburn Diff, SLP's and Tri-Ax.

So I didn't want to trade it but we decided to offer it to our son for the 14K so it would stay in the family. Since he was just leaving Southhampton in the UK coming back to Norfolk VA (he is a squid) we would wait until they got back to port so he could do the paperwork. The mach had developed a wierd issue of the rear hopping around corners. So I would service it since it seems the plates in the rear were not unlocking correctly, being sticky from sitting for the past years.

After servicing it we started to drive it around. Suddenly I found myself falling in love with the car again and smiling while driving it. I remembered the exictment of getting it almost 6 years ago and the fun we had with it. I then also thought of horror of the car being "Sailor-ized" or being wrapped around a pole. I then realized the stupidity of geting rid of this car, which was long ago paid off, is immaculate and is so much fun.

I decide to cancel the Challenger for now and keep the Mach. I'll get a Challenger in spring by getting rid of my two T-Top Fox cars and the Triumphs. Plus every Spring I get a large bonus from work so all of that will well exceed the 14K I would of taken for Mach.

I guess the moral of the story is if you let a car be unused, you somewhat forget about why you got it in the first place!
RnJstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Bill Hamilton
Mustang owner since 1970

Re: Funny I guess I am a "new owner" again

Glad you decided to stay in the "family". If I got rid of my '03 Mach, I'm not sure what I'd miss more, the car or the "extended" family here (LOL). The new Challenger is the only other car I could imagine me owning if I ever left the "stable" of Mustang ownership. I too would love to own a white R/T with six-speed. My mispent youth was spent watching the movie "Vanishing Point" about a dozen times at various theaters and drive-inns (where I actually watched the movie). I still watch it as I have the DVD now. Hope the family's doing well ( I love your wife's photography) and thank your Son for his service for us.
My 1970 Mach

2003 Ford Mustang Mach I---Black w/5-speed --- gone but not forgotten
2011 Shelby GT-500 --- Ingot Silver Metallic and 6-speed (Sold and Now Terrorizing the residents of New Zealand)

1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1---White w/351C-4v Shaker Hood scoop and T-5 tranny
2014 Shelby GT-500 --- White/red stripes and 6-speed
2019 Mustang Convertible Premium Package w/automatic

Old 11-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Con's Mach1

I'm HAPPY you changed your mind, and kept the Mach. That's the thing about Mustangs and Mach1s. Sometimes they can become too familiar to us, that we take them for granted, until something jars our thinking and they become a part of you again. A Challenger may be nice, may be fast, or whatever. But those cars just don't have the staying power the Mustang has. That's why the challenger has been gone for over 30 years. Only to return from Dodge to get some slice of the Mustangs pie.
Con's Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
jbrad88
Original Owner

Post up some pics of those t-top foxes...inqurining minds may want to know

By the way... Good choice...

03 Torch Red Mach 1
21 FJG Mach 1

Stainless Steel Systems Adrenaline Series
BBK long tube headers catted x pipe
18x9 18x10- Solid Gloss Black FR5's
Nitto 555 g2 275/35r18's 285/35r18
MGW Shifter With Mach1 Shift Knob
4.10's & 31 spline Mosers and 31 Spline Posi
Steeda Sport Springs Tokiko Illuminas
J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's
J@M Braided steel brake lines
Eibach Sway Bars
jbrad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Hicompression
Highly Compressed

Just bought a 2010 Camaro SS, but...I'm still keeping the Mach. Wouldn't get rid of it for nothing.
Hicompression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Mighty-d

So far I have seen Mach1 have a great following,
Loyal owners, Guys or girls went to Cobras, have come back to the Mach

Mach 1, 2003 with Vortech! YAHOO!
Mighty-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
RnJstel

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Renae View Post
Post up some pics of those t-top foxes...inqurining minds may want to know

By the way... Good choice...
Here is the 5.0 5 Speed One

Here is the 2.3 5 Speed Turbo One

The 2.3 is a project, the 5.0 is restored. She even took 2nd place at the Ford Nats in Carlisle last year.

Its a good car but, I am always chasing something with it. you know like never venture out of the 50 mile radious of your home.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
jbrad88
Original Owner

Very Nice...Both of them. Thank you for the pics. Let me know in the spring when you are looking to sell. If I have any $$$ at that point one of those two may be a possibility.

I am a Fox-body guy at heart...

03 Torch Red Mach 1
21 FJG Mach 1

J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's
Eibach Sway Bars
Old 11-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
Bill Hamilton
Mustang owner since 1970

Quote:

An '89 5.0 LX Hatch was probably the best daily driver I ever had. I'd fold down the rear seats, raise the hatch, and I had a pickup truck and brother did I haul some stuff with that.
My 1970 Mach

2003 Ford Mustang Mach I---Black w/5-speed --- gone but not forgotten
2011 Shelby GT-500 --- Ingot Silver Metallic and 6-speed (Sold and Now Terrorizing the residents of New Zealand)

1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1---White w/351C-4v Shaker Hood scoop and T-5 tranny
2014 Shelby GT-500 --- White/red stripes and 6-speed
2019 Mustang Convertible Premium Package w/automatic

Old 11-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
jbrad88
Original Owner

Yup.
Don't get me started on my coupe, I might start crying...

03 Torch Red Mach 1
21 FJG Mach 1

J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's
Eibach Sway Bars
Old 11-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #11
Con's Mach1

NICE resto on the 5.0. The 2.3 TURBO has to be VERY RARE. I don't know if I could let go of those Fox Bodies myself.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
Zack

Great story, thanks for sharing it with us.
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #13
MCHNROL
original owner

Good choice, from a tough decision. Those anniversary foxes are nice and my favs besides 7up verts. I had a early '84 black t-top GT with the canyon red interior. I always wished I'd waited a few months. Glad your sticking around.
Built 5/23 Bought 10/9/03 AFS:17x9&10.5rims, MRT:PRO-M MAF, Street Smart CAI, MagnaFlowH&catbackw/Mach tips, Hood struts, FRPP:REM 4.10 w/31-sp Mosers, Alum flywheel&driveshaft, PHP:spacer, Steeda:Tri-ax, UCA,strut towerbrace, HPM:Megabitejr.LCA,subframes, T/A:Girdle, Raptor:shiftlite, SLP:linelock, UPR:Quad&Adj NGK TR55IX CDC:floormats, honeycombtail&sequentials, gaugerings, Grippermat, ShakrAirDiverter, Bullittfueldoor, SilverStripes, BuildIDplates, Tint@35%, cats 298rwhp/318tq FUN!
MCHNROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
RnJstel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con's Mach1 View Post
NICE resto on the 5.0. The 2.3 TURBO has to be VERY RARE. I don't know if I could let go of those Fox Bodies myself.
Yeah the 2.3 T-Top Anny is a very rare pony. The accepted number of ones Ford is only known to have built is 6-10 as 20th Anny cars.

I believe at last count only 3 including this one have been found. I found it outside of Pittsburgh when I was really into 79-86 Foxes

(First step in recovery is admitting you have a problem)
Old 11-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #15
MCHNROL
original owner

Keep the turbo car if you can as a project. I knew it was rare, just not that rare.
Built 5/23 Bought 10/9/03 AFS:17x9&10.5rims, MRT:PRO-M MAF, Street Smart CAI, MagnaFlowH&catbackw/Mach tips, Hood struts, FRPP:REM 4.10 w/31-sp Mosers, Alum flywheel&driveshaft, PHP:spacer, Steeda:Tri-ax, UCA,strut towerbrace, HPM:Megabitejr.LCA,subframes, T/A:Girdle, Raptor:shiftlite, SLP:linelock, UPR:Quad&Adj NGK TR55IX CDC:floormats, honeycombtail&sequentials, gaugerings, Grippermat, ShakrAirDiverter, Bullittfueldoor, SilverStripes, BuildIDplates, Tint@35%, cats 298rwhp/318tq FUN!
MCHNROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #16
RnJstel

Quote:
Very Nice...Both of them. Thank you for the pics. Let me know in the spring when you are looking to sell. If I have any $$$ at that point one of those two may be a possibility.

Sure! I was thinking selling all the Fox stuff (both cars I have) and the "barn O Fox parts" as a package

Old 11-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #17
Charles236

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnJstel View Post
Yeah the 2.3 T-Top Anny is a very rare pony. The accepted number of ones Ford is only known to have built is 6-10 as 20th Anny cars.

I believe at last count only 3 including this one have been found. I found it outside of Pittsburgh when I was really into 79-86 Foxes

Why would you want to recover? By the way, if you get rid of the boat, you'll have room for another Fox.
Charles236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #18
Con's Mach1

Quote:

I don't mean to draw this out, but did the first 2.3 Turbos begin in '83 or '84?
Old 11-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #19
RnJstel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hamilton View Post
Glad you decided to stay in the "family". If I got rid of my '03 Mach, I'm not sure what I'd miss more, the car or the "extended" family here (LOL). The new Challenger is the only other car I could imagine me owning if I ever left the "stable" of Mustang ownership. I too would love to own a white R/T with six-speed. My mispent youth was spent watching the movie "Vanishing Point" about a dozen times at various theaters and drive-inns (where I actually watched the movie). I still watch it as I have the DVD now. Hope the family's doing well ( I love your wife's photography) and thank your Son for his service for us.
Bill,

Thank you for your reply. Joan is actually doing well since she finished the treatments for her Leukemia. We were very pleased by the results last bone marrow test she had done in Houston at MD Anderson. They showed no signs of any Lympoerative disorders! So now, it just a matter of time for her and her body to recouperate from the treatments over the past 8 months.

Needless to say we have allot of living to do and she is looking forward to seeing all in June at Carlisle.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #20
RnJstel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con's Mach1 View Post
I don't mean to draw this out, but did the first 2.3 Turbos begin in '83 or '84?
Actually 79-81 had the Carb'd 2.3 turbo (the 79 Pace in the background is a turbo) The 83/84 GT and GT-350 in 84.5 had the non-intercooled turbo.

Pretty much the T-Bird and Cougar Turbo Coupe set up. Not SVO power but, still moves out pretty good!
Old 11-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #21
Azure Blurr
I miss my friend

ohhh... RnJ do you have an affliction!!!
Azure Blurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #22
Mikestang
Parrot Head

lets see the bikes

but I just could not sell a car i paid 25 to 30 k for with only 9k miles on it for half that ....................
I think the best thing to do when you have a car like that paid for is just bide your time and add to the collection.
03 MACH1 Torch Red #274 Built 11/14/02 Home 12/07/02 Payed off 09/17/07 MRT powershift, W\Hurst T-handle, Painted hood stripe, AFS 10.5 and 9.0 Crome Mach 1Wheels, Ford GT Coil Covers.
"If She had a set a wings, Man I know She could fly "
2011 Kona Blue Metalic Mustang GT Premium 5.0 Rolling on 19s
"2011 Will Be Known As The Year They Perfected The Mustang "
06 Victory Kingpin With more mods than I can list
http://home.roadrunner.com/~crazyhorse/
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:58 PM   #23
73mach03

Glad to see you decided to hold onto your Mach 1. Sometimes, you have to come close to getting rid of something to see how much you really still like it.

Having a new Challenger parked next to your Mach 1 will be a great combination.

I can understand being a bit reluctant to part with any T-top car, because it is a long lost option. On the other hand, there are certainly times where you have to get rid of a car you love in order to get a new car and to enjoy that feeling of newness. Yeah, you'll miss those cars, but the fun of driving a hot, new Challenger will help ease that pain.

Good luck.
73mach03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #24
Monster Mach

FOUR EYED PRIDE!!!!!! lol i love my four eyes.. i miss mine.. Im 86gtwith82nose on fep if your a member
Old 11-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #25
jbrad88
Original Owner

Quote:
Sure! I was thinking selling all the Fox stuff (both cars I have) and the "barn O Fox parts" as a package

That is one heck of a package...

I really like the turbo car...Cannot get much more rare for a fox...Of course I think there were fewer Gt-Turbo verts, but I could be wrong.

03 Torch Red Mach 1
21 FJG Mach 1

J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's