2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 03-14-2005, 03:02 PM   #51
LUCKYMACH
Be kind of afraid!

Re: Ford Racing Cams Installed - WOW!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03AV8R
You couldnt have gotten .............. 4 Hooters girls to drag me away from that track that nite.......
You had ME pretty good till this last section of the reply?? :LAUGH:
LUCKYMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:10 PM   #52
MachOneThis

Rodney,

I guess my defintion of very little work is different than most - I acknowledge that to be true. We hope to not go into the motor anytime soon, but I assure you the first time I do - 11.50s might require a throttle stop. I call very little a mildly built motor. Headwork and cams is all it would take - F/S folks are getting 30 plus horsepower out of competition valve jobs. I don't care to be legal for any particular class - competition valve job, high flow valves, cams and a little intake work and these motors will run the 11.50s all day. Of course it has to be done correctly and tuned correctly. Yes - I call that very little work. You would understand if you knew me when I called a soft launch when 60 foots where above 1.10. B/S - maybe to some, but those that know me would not question. F/S almost doing this legal for their class - if they could have cams - port work on heads and intake - BAM!!!
MachOneThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:11 PM   #53
MachOneThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCKYMACH
You had ME pretty good till this last section of the reply?? :LAUGH:
LOL - 4 Hooters girls and I'll forget all about the track.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:36 PM   #54
MachOneThis

I will continue to give updates on performance. Just a brief summary of where we are as of today. Yes, we did run a 12.17 last Thursday night with a soft tune and no traction. Previous 12.17 without cams was with agressive tune and traction. Was only running 20 degrees of timing for the run. At the 1000 foot mark our pass Thursday night was .04 behind our previous 1000 foot time on stock cams. Motor was pulling harder to make up that time in 4th gear in the last 320 feet. Just need some traction and we will put some more timing back in the motor.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:13 PM   #55
MattN03
03RCODE

Johnny, you are also trapping a higher MPH than last year
Sold 10/3/12
MattN03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:36 PM   #56
C-dub

how would a cam install effect emisions (smog tests) for state inspections like ny/ca and such??

thanks
c-dub
Old 03-14-2005, 09:46 PM   #57
MachOneThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-dub
how would a cam install effect emisions (smog tests) for state inspections like ny/ca and such??

thanks
c-dub
These cams are mild enough that once the computer gets used to them - should be no problem in most states - not sure about CA. they are tough. We have on on board wideband Air Fuel system - you can see the computer re-learning - will try to go rich and computer immediately sends it back lean - this should stop after a short time. We do have to pass emissions here in Memphis and so far we have been able to pass with no cats without tricks. Hopefully that will be so with the cams - do not get inspected again until December. I might take it through just for the fun of it isf they will let me.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:49 PM   #58
MachOneThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN03
Johnny, you are also trapping a higher MPH than last year
You are correct Matt - trapped over 112 Thursday night - never got out of the 110s with stock cams. I am expecting a little more mph, but that was good for a bad night. I noticed that most people there were actually below their best MPH Thrusday night.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:24 PM   #59
TheBlkMach1
Cobra killer.

Good luck on getting this thing "dialed-in". It looks like i'm gonna be stuck fixing my motor on my own, so it's probably safe to say that when my engine is put back together that it will have some nice cams in it. I may have to PM you for some info. Keep us updated.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:05 AM   #60
MachOneThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlkMach1
Good luck on getting this thing "dialed-in". It looks like i'm gonna be stuck fixing my motor on my own, so it's probably safe to say that when my engine is put back together that it will have some nice cams in it. I may have to PM you for some info. Keep us updated.
Good luck - would gladly offer any help I can. Has anyone said what exactly broke?
Old 03-15-2005, 08:50 PM   #61
TheBlkMach1
Cobra killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachOneThis
Good luck - would gladly offer any help I can. Has anyone said what exactly broke?
Nope, Ford won't warranty it so i'm just gonna have it towed to Thunder Autosports and have it torn apart on Thurs. Hopefully it won't be major. Do you happen to have a part # for the FR500's because my bud is a parts mgr. for a Ford dealership and he can get me them for pretty cheap. Thanks.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:18 PM   #62
MachOneThis

Quote:
Nope, Ford won't warranty it so i'm just gonna have it towed to Thunder Autosports and have it torn apart on Thurs. Hopefully it won't be major. Do you happen to have a part # for the FR500's because my bud is a parts mgr. for a Ford dealership and he can get me them for pretty cheap. Thanks.
Part number on complete cam kit is M-6550-T46

Good Luck
Old 03-16-2005, 09:02 PM   #63
Prodigy5
Benstang220

What are the specs on those cams and what is the part number...thanks
Prodigy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:37 PM   #64
MachOneThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy5
What are the specs on those cams and what is the part number...thanks
Ford Part Number on Cam Kit is M-6550-T46

.480/.480 Lift (12mm)

Intake advertised duration 258° 214@.050

Exhaust advertised duration 254° 204@.050

109° center line
Old 03-16-2005, 10:53 PM   #65
03AV8R
Terrible Dyno Car!

Quote:

F/S folks are getting 30 plus horsepower out of competition valve jobs. I don't care to be legal for any particular class - competition valve job, high flow valves, cams and a little intake work and these motors will run the 11.50s all day.
Yup, cant forget to bring up the F/S guys, they are up & over 350 RWHP now or they are not competitive.. Prolly a little more than JUST a valve job going on there, I believe most are at 289 cubic inches also.

Axles of Evil Racing

Bolt-On's
All the good ones :PIMP: running 11.17's N/A on the stock factory motor.
Results
Best 1/4 mile 11.174 (Slicks) 11.2's (Quick TP's) 12.072 (17" Street Stocker wheels & tires)
Best MPH 119.22
Best 60' 1.474 (With ET Drags) 1.51 (Quick TP's) 1.8's (17" stockers)
03AV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 11:03 PM   #66
MattN03
03RCODE

Quote:
Prolly a little more than JUST a valve job going on there, I believe most are at 289 cubic inches also.
So how far removed from stock are F/S cars? Any links to the rules or what general mods are considered "legal"? In my mind, factory stock should be limited to bolt ons, not boring out your engine!
Sold 10/3/12
Old 03-17-2005, 01:31 PM   #67
03AV8R
Terrible Dyno Car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN03
In my mind, factory stock should be limited to bolt ons, not boring out your engine!

Nope Sorry, just the opposite.. Your basically not allowed any bolt-ons but the legal specs for the motor allows for additional work.. You can have alot of things pushed right to the edge of the envelope on the motor & make more power.. Like i said, these guys who are on top are makin 350+ HP in that class..

Axles of Evil Racing

Bolt-On's
All the good ones :PIMP: running 11.17's N/A on the stock factory motor.
Results
Best 1/4 mile 11.174 (Slicks) 11.2's (Quick TP's) 12.072 (17" Street Stocker wheels & tires)
Best MPH 119.22
Best 60' 1.474 (With ET Drags) 1.51 (Quick TP's) 1.8's (17" stockers)
03AV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:47 PM   #68
MachOneThis

Quote:
Nope Sorry, just the opposite.. Your basically not allowed any bolt-ons but the legal specs for the motor allows for additional work.. You can have alot of things pushed right to the edge of the envelope on the motor & make more power.. Like i said, these guys who are on top are makin 350+ HP in that class..
Yep - that is right -

All stock classes have rules, but many things can be improved when horsepower only is the desired result. Valve jobs - clearancing on the loose side of spec - sealing the motor up better - degreeing of cams - etc - makes a lot of horsepower. Believe me there is more to be found than F/S has done to date - that is why the bar gets higher every year. In some S/S NHRA classes they say the cams have to stock lift and duration - they did not say you could not regrind with faster opening/closing - that is where S/S cams came in to the scene. S/S also may flow 8 heads/intakes that are stock castings looking for the best - yes - they vary some. Cubic limits are there for a reason, but they have to allow for rebuilds - if 289 is the limit - that is where all the top guys will be. He'll, if I was running F/S - I would lighten all those cam gears and design a tensioner system that used rollers instead of nylon to press against main chains.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:04 PM   #69
MachOneThis

Adding this info - these tools hard to find. Ford would not order - said they no longer sell tools.

Following 4V Spring Tool a must (same tool for removing followers):

http://www.toolsource.com/ost/produc...QBATEKXMN5BVS6

This tool is optional, but helped me a lot (it is valve spring tool for 2V Motors) I used it on exhaust - will not do intakes:

http://www.toolsource.com/ost/produc...QBATEKXMN5BVS6

I did not use cam lock tool - not needed if you pull followers before removing cams and put followers in last.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:34 AM   #70
ShakeMe

Subscribing

Feb 09 N2O 10.91 @ 124.21(1.55 60ft)
Feb 09 NA 11.85 @ 112.87 (1.60 60ft)
ShakeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:51 AM   #71
lamach1

Quote:
Yep - that is right -

All stock classes have rules, but many things can be improved when horsepower only is the desired result. Valve jobs - clearancing on the loose side of spec - sealing the motor up better - degreeing of cams - etc - makes a lot of horsepower. Believe me there is more to be found than F/S has done to date - that is why the bar gets higher every year. In some S/S NHRA classes they say the cams have to stock lift and duration - they did not say you could not regrind with faster opening/closing - that is where S/S cams came in to the scene. S/S also may flow 8 heads/intakes that are stock castings looking for the best - yes - they vary some. Cubic limits are there for a reason, but they have to allow for rebuilds - if 289 is the limit - that is where all the top guys will be. He'll, if I was running F/S - I would lighten all those cam gears and design a tensioner system that used rollers instead of nylon to press against main chains.
The last time I read the rules, they alowed aftermarket shorty headers as long as they bolt into the factory location and after that most any type exhaust was acceptable. Also, as best as I can remember, a high flow air filter was allowed along with some modifications to the intack as long as the stock MAS was used.
My car is making around 330 to the wheels. If I were to remove the LT's and electric water pump, I would probably be around 320 rwhp. Some F/S cars are hitting 370 rwhp now so where is the extra 50 hp comming from?
Some tricks I heard about were 1) There are no rules against interchanging parts on the 4.6 DOHC engines from different years. Our cams are relativly "small" in terms of duration which is why we have improved low end torque. I have heard that putting in stock 98 cams will add as much as 30 h.p. 2) Boring the motor .020 over helps unshroud the valves and certainly helps. 3) the 99 cobra intacks were recalled by ford and hand ported to increase h.p. to the advertised 320 h.p. So, it may not be legal, but if you were to use a 99 intake and do a little extra porting, how would they prove it? They were all hand ported, so no 2 are exactly alike. 4) You are allowed to use aftermarket valves of stock size so quality valves along with a quality valve job certainly adds power. Although I would think more like 10 than 30 h.p.
lamach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:29 PM   #72
MachOneThis

Another trip to the track tonight.

Was apprehensive since track so bad last time, but a lot of Pro cars there tonight. I did the burnout - a dry hop at 5000 - felt pretty good, but have felt it better. I left at 5000 - as soon as I dumped, I thought should have left higher - ran 12:15 @111.91. Got back in line and left at 5500 this time - probably could have left even higher - ran 12.04 @ 112.53. I wanted to get back in line and leave even higher, but track getting really busy so I came home. There is more in it and I am still on the before cam tune. Leaving harder tonight would have definetly put it in the 11s. The good thing is I do not think we will run any slower this summer. Air gets hotter in the summer but barometer usually better than 29.85. If I'm right - high 11s in the middle of summer would be outstanding.

Weather

Not bad, but barometer was only 29.85 - temp around 63. Ran a best of 12.17 last year without the cams in better air.

About the Car

Drive it 30 miles each way to the track and drive it home. Car has most all of the bolt on stuff. Easier to say what it does not have. Does not have race seats and both front seats still in car. Does not have AC bypass or reduction pullies. No head work - stock intake (no porting). Race weight tonight was 3470.

Will continue to post updates.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:44 PM   #73
TheBlkMach1
Cobra killer.

Nice!!! A tune would be huge IMO. You definitely got some 11's coming soon. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:46 PM   #74
MachOneThis

Quote:
Nice!!! A tune would be huge IMO. You definitely got some 11's coming soon. Good luck.
Thanks - I hope so. I want to run the 11s several times a year, not just when the air is sky high.

http://www.aglobalmart.com/family/281r.jpg
Old 03-25-2005, 12:21 AM   #75
MattN03
03RCODE

Congrats Johnny. I was sure wanting to make one more pass tonight myself, but it started raining
Sold 10/3/12