2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 02-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #51
OWmach1

Re: What Engine Oil ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhutch View Post
Things are changing and we now have to be careful with the diesel spec stuff too (sorry, I should update my previous post). Manufactures are phasing out the ZDDP in those products without any mention (no surprise) of formula change. I recently ran some Delo in my V8 explorer and was not happy with it. Shell Rotella is still a good oil but who knows how long that will last.

For my money the best low cost "synthetic" motor oil is Mobil 1 5W-30. It's a group III oil which means it's a highly modified dino oil and not a true synthetic but all synthetic oils in that price range ($5 - $6 quart) are group III or a blend of group II and III. Amsoil entry level synthetics are group III and are very good but no better than Mobil.

My preferred oil is Red Line 5W-30. It's one of few oils that use group V synthetic base stock and has an excellent reputation. I've heard too many horror stories over many years to ever trust Royal Purple in anything I run.
Other than those two recommendations I think it is safe to say that any 100% group III, IV or V synthetic oil will provide exceptional protection as long as the minimum viscosity is kept to 5W-30.

Oh, beware of the guy getting allot of press from an article posted in various forums over the last few years stating that ZDDP provides inferior protection compared to some current ZDDP free synthetics. He uses his own ball bearing pressure testing equipment to test film strength but does not understand and refuses to accept that ZDDP does not provide a pretection barrier until it has been heated in high pressure environments I.E. cam journals etc.
I just used chevron delo 400.. 0 miles on it, but total of 40 minutes idle time. Should I drain it out? We use this oil in the rigs & and it's pretty good so far..
OWmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #52
tmhutch
4v>3v>2v

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWmach1 View Post
I just used chevron delo 400.. 0 miles on it, but total of 40 minutes idle time. Should I drain it out? We use this oil in the rigs & and it's pretty good so far..
No. No oil is that bad. It's the long term wear that gets us.
tmhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #53
Ben99GT
4V GT

For an off of the shelf 5W-30, it's hard to beat Pennzoil Ultra.

Link: http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013P...sallfinal.html
Ben99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #54
OWmach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhutch View Post
No. No oil is that bad. It's the long term wear that gets us.
I guess every oil companies goal is to get us in the long run so we can continue spending $ on buying new parts/engines or new cars? It just amazes me how we have rigs on original motors running over 1,000,000 miles with just chevron delo 400 and intervals on schedule. I bet car companies can make engines last that long, but obviously that will never happen.
OWmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #55
Ben99GT
4V GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWmach1 View Post
I guess every oil companies goal is to get us in the long run so we can continue spending $ on buying new parts/engines or new cars? It just amazes me how we have rigs on original motors running over 1,000,000 miles with just chevron delo 400 and intervals on schedule. I bet car companies can make engines last that long, but obviously that will never happen.
Here's a couple million+ mile 5.4s.

www.millionmilevan.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjRgiAOHm-E
Ben99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:53 PM   #56
TKat13
Mach-T

He changed oil in the 1.2million mile van every 10-20k, once going 55k. Good luck telling him he needs to change oil every 3k miles.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #57
shadowmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99GT View Post
For an off of the shelf 5W-30, it's hard to beat Pennzoil Ultra.

Link: http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013P...sallfinal.html
Why would recommend the ultra over the platinum?
shadowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote