2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 12-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #226
TRmachwon
Parking Lot Racer

Re: Hanging/Slow dropping RPM FIX inside.

So I bought one of the plates off ebay and put it on. I now have all the symptoms it is supposed to fix. I have less decel popping, my revs go up when I clutch in sometimes, I stalled twice at red lights, and when I stop the revs will hang around 1500 then there will be a pop and it drops down to ~400, almost stalls, then normalizes around 700. Haven't tried resetting the ECU, that might be my issue.
TRmachwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #227
04shkr
04SHKR

So what is the verdict on these plates? Do they work on some Machs and not on others? Does the hole size depend on mods? Does the ECU definitely have to be reset? What size hole do I need w/ CAI, O/R X pipe, and tune... 9/32,5/16, or 11/32?? Would really like to install one but dont want it to cause problems like some I have heard! Thanks guys!!!
In the shop for pro charger install...STEEDA RAI; Polished C&L Inlet Pipe; BBK OffRoad X Pipe; Super 40 Series Flowmasters; 3 1/2" black chrome tips; Eibach Pro Kit; FRPP 4.10 Gear; SCT Performance Tune By Noe's Performance; Optima Red Top; FR500 Black Chrome Wheels 18x9 w/ 245/40/18 ; 18x10 w/295/35/18 Goodyear F1 D3's; STEEDA Wing; UPR Fuel Door; Top & Trunk Striping; Flamed Pony Grill Emblem; CO MRT Shift Knob; Embroidered Headrests; TBS 8" Sub; Concept Amp; Mach 1 Floor Mats;
04shkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:22 AM   #228
DSMach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRmachwon View Post
So I bought one of the plates off ebay and put it on. I now have all the symptoms it is supposed to fix. I have less decel popping, my revs go up when I clutch in sometimes, I stalled twice at red lights, and when I stop the revs will hang around 1500 then there will be a pop and it drops down to ~400, almost stalls, then normalizes around 700. Haven't tried resetting the ECU, that might be my issue.

Im having the same problem. Bought a plate from '34Ford' on Ebay with a 5/16" hole to block the one port. Maybe the hole is a little too big, if someone can tell me that or know for sure that its the problem that would be great.

TR, ive tried every possible fix with it and nothing has helped. Ive disconnected the battery to reset the ECU, ive disconnected the battery and pumped the brakes to get all of the electricity out of the car to reset all of the motor sensors, and ive disconnected the IAC while running and pumped the brakes with the battery disconnected and still have got nothing in hopes of resolving this...
DSMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #229
G
Undocumented Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04shkr View Post
So what is the verdict on these plates? Do they work on some Machs and not on others? Does the hole size depend on mods? Does the ECU definitely have to be reset? What size hole do I need w/ CAI, O/R X pipe, and tune... 9/32,5/16, or 11/32?? Would really like to install one but dont want it to cause problems like some I have heard! Thanks guys!!!
I don't remember what size hole I started with but it was small. I increased the size until the stalling went away and then let the ecu take some time to settle down and all was well. ----------------- Until I installed an accufab TB, then I needed a bigger hole.

In the IAC plate!!!!

I use a gasket on both sides of the plate but most work with only one gasket. Make sure you don't have any air leaks and the IAC is clean and it should be fine. Go slow increasing the size in the plate if that's required; you can't undrill a hole.
1933 Ford 3W Coupe (4.6 dohc Stack Injection)
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
2014 Mustang GT (Track Pack) in Black
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #230
DSMach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
I don't remember what size hole I started with but it was small. I increased the size until the stalling went away and then let the ecu take some time to settle down and all was well. ----------------- Until I installed an accufab TB, then I needed a bigger hole.
Well thats what im wondering, if the size of the restricted hole is too small. Cause if i start slowly making the restricted hole bigger and by some chance i go to big, im back to square one with no plate. But at least i know thats the problem. I do wanna wait til i get my Predator though to see if it cleans it up the problem as ive heard it can do that in some cases. As a back up plan, id see if i can get an idle algorithm to flash into the ECU that will replace the factory IAC values with the restricted IAC values. Worst case is id look for another plate cause i like the quality in which it was made. Thanks for the input G...
Old 01-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #231
FordMan
I Am Cornholio!!!

I had to enlarge the smaller hole on mine to 11/32" before the idle dropped like I wanted. I've been using it ever since (4-5 years) with no problems.
FordMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #232
DSMach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMan View Post
I had to enlarge the smaller hole on mine to 11/32" before the idle dropped like I wanted. I've been using it ever since (4-5 years) with no problems.

Awesome, thanks. Im gonna give this a shot if i cant fix it through the Predator...
Old 03-31-2009, 12:12 PM   #233
Tarball
Learning slowly....

Not sure if this has been posted or not here, but:

get an XCal and load Live Link on your laptop, log ISC Integrator, then send that info to your tuner, he will correct for it. Now throw your restrictor away.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:53 PM   #234
NC Mach 1

And that all cost how much?

I sell IAC restrictor plates.
Here on Ebay
NC Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #235
Tarball
Learning slowly....

Well if you already have bolt-ons you should already have a Xcal and tune. So about $50.

If your stock you can borrow a xcal, to log, and if a tuner suggests you change it then it would be 400 for a xcal and then + what the tuner charges.

NOT the economical way, but if you're modded you should only be footing the tune change.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:03 PM   #236
ponygt65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarball View Post
Not sure if this has been posted or not here, but:

get an XCal and load Live Link on your laptop, log ISC Integrator, then send that info to your tuner, he will correct for it. Now throw your restrictor away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarball View Post
Well if you already have bolt-ons you should already have a Xcal and tune. So about $50.

If your stock you can borrow a xcal, to log, and if a tuner suggests you change it then it would be 400 for a xcal and then + what the tuner charges.

NOT the economical way, but if you're modded you should only be footing the tune change.
Offering a suggestion is one thing...even if it's a more expensive one.....but to tell everyone to throw them away? That's jsut wrong man. THe restrictor plate is quick, easy, low $$ and my 10 yr old can do it in 10 minutes or less. It's worked for years.

And, some people don't want to mess with the tuning yet. Either, waiting, already tuned, or maybe they just want an excuse to pop the hood and do something with their car.

Previous stangs:
2003 Mineral Grey Cobra Vert
1965 Factory GT K Code Coupe - mostly original and numbers matching. 14.9 (best) GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!!
2003 MACh 1 AB - MINE!..SLP LM1s, PHP Spacer, and a CAI, that wont' stop whistling.
2004 MACh 1 DSG - PHP spacer, BOrla Stingers, K and N CAI, Tune, X-pipe, 1" 1-piece raised shaker...yadda yadda.
ponygt65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:16 PM   #237
Tarball
Learning slowly....

I was telling them that after they get fixed they can toss the restrictor. I ran one for 4 months till i got my IAC fixed.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #238
mhbr549

OK guys. I've searched until I'm blue in the face and found similar issues to mine with the IAC plate, and am stumped. Here's the one I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...SA:MOTORS:1123

It has a 5/16 small hole which I installed to the passenger side as described. Gasket stayed perfectly in place on the intake, so it was never removed. I left the battery unhooked for 30 minutes to reset the computer. Car idles 1500 warmed up, and 1300 with the AC on. Can't make the hole any smaller, so any thoughts?

Only mods to my car are the weld-in flows, off road H (brand unknown) and a JLT true CAI with the MAF screen removed as told in it's instructions.

I would really appreciate any help you guys can offer!

EDIT: I just ordered a second gasket to go between the plate and the IAC itself so I will have "IAC, gasket, plate, gasket, intake." Think that will help?

Last edited by mhbr549; 05-30-2009 at 05:13 PM.
mhbr549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #239
mhbr549

No one?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #240
NC Mach 1

So you saying this plate makes your idle higher?

These plates will not bring down a high idle.

For some [censored/] reason Im not getting a email to my PM's
Old 06-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #241
mhbr549

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Mach 1 View Post
So you saying this plate makes your idle higher?

These plates will not bring down a high idle.

For some [censored/] reason Im not getting a email to my PM's
Yes, it is causing me to have a fast idle. Idle is fine without the plate in. I tried a second gasket last night, and it does the same thing with gaskets on both sides of the plate. I'm not trying to bring down the idle with the plate, only to bring the rpm's down faster between gears.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #242
NC Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbr549 View Post

Can't make the hole any smaller, so any thoughts?
Smaller?

How do you make it smaller? If anything you want to go larger.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #243
mhbr549

Quote:
Smaller?

How do you make it smaller? If anything you want to go larger.
Not trying to make it smaller. My point was simply that the hole is what it is. What benefit would making the hole larger have? The car is not stalling out which if I understand correctly, would be cured by increasing the hole size. My problem is a fast idle caused after putting the plate in.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #244
NC Mach 1

Everyone will see a increase in idle rpms untill the motor reaches temp.
You may want to look more into removing the maf screen cause I have read here that not only removing it but just turning it can cause some problems.

If you feel the plate is not going to work, I will not hesitate
to send you a refund.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #245
mhbr549

Quote:
Everyone will see a increase in idle rpms untill the motor reaches temp.
You may want to look more into removing the maf screen cause I have read here that not only removing it but just turning it can cause some problems.

If you feel the plate is not going to work, I will not hesitate
to send you a refund.

Thanks
Thanks for offering a refund, but I would never ask for, or expect one. Your plate is perfect. The problem is somewhere in my car I'm sure. In a nutshell, something goofy in the car does not play nicely with the plate. You could be right about the maf screen, I don't know. Unfortunately the JLT CAI kit puts the **** thing under the inner fender and it is a ***** to get to. I will most likely put the plate in a drawer and forget trying to figure this thing out. I'm not sure that it's worth all the headache that I am putting myself (and you) through. Thanks very much for trying to help me figure this thing out.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #246
5.0 drag racer

to the above poster and anyone this may help. I bought the plate off ebay and installed it. ( great quality part and quick delivery I may add ). Well, at startup it dropped earlier to a normal idle than before and after taking it for a spin it drops between gears jsut fine now. Well, after the care was fully warm, coming to a stop or pushing in the clutch made the rpms drop to 1600 and stay there for about 10 sec, then abruptly drop to about 500 and climb and stop at 750. I tried all the tricks like resetting the battery/computer and buying a second gasket for between the plate and IAC which did nothing but aggravate me with the return of the problem.

What worked for me was to remove the plate and open up the hole with a round file slighty ( I didnt measure it so dont know the before and after but it was a slight amount ). cleaned it up, reinstalled it and BAM, no issues, part works great, no rpm or idle issues whatsoever.

My assumption is each car reacts different and requires a different size hole ( albeit no that drastic of a diameter difference ) meaning some are fine with the hole provided while others need a slightly larger one.

I hope this helps more people out. good luck all.
5.0 drag racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #247
TRmachwon
Parking Lot Racer

Hmm 5.0 drag racer, that is the same issue I had with the drop to 500ish (almost stalls) then goes back up. I'll try making the hole larger. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #248
droptop mach

I bought one off ebay took like 2 mins to install works great!!!
I didnt Unhook my battery or reset my Ecu.

Last edited by droptop mach; 06-29-2009 at 08:42 PM.
droptop mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #249
TRmachwon
Parking Lot Racer

Just an update, I used a dremel to grind mine out about an extra 1/32" and it worked a charm. The difference isn't exactly night and day but it certainly returns to idle a lot sooner at red lights.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #250
indianpeter

i have had the restictor plate in for 8k miles, was working great until i drove to carlisle (400 miles each way) noticed when i was there the idle was "sticking" @ 1500, then car would stall. when i got home, i did the same as TRmachwon, removed about 1/32" and, just like that, all fixed again....!! go figure.
indianpeter is offline   Reply With Quote