2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Best Mustang Parts

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #1
MachRyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: IL
Posts: 21
Mach vs Boss

I keep hearing how the 12-13 Boss 302 will be a collectible in the future due to its limited production, high-revving Roadrunner engine (not Coyote), etc.

"If you can get your hands on one for 30k or less right now, do it" they say.

First, what is everyone's opinion on the Boss 302?

Next, how does it stack up to say the GT350 and more near and dear to my heart...our Mach 1's?

I just did an Eaton swap on my Mach. I intend to keep it for the long haul. That said, I'm wondering if I should've waited, saved a few more pennies and bought a 12-13 Boss instead.
MachRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #2
HAEG
Heppasketties
 
HAEG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Mercer County, NJ
Posts: 4,462
Re: Mach vs Boss

Don't own a Boss but I own a 2011 Shelby. I traded my Mach in to get the Shelby and for years convinced myself it was the right move because I would have walked past the Mach and just drive the Shelby. Well I bought the same Mach1 back a year ago (I'm the 1st and now 5th owner) and have to say I drive the Mach 1 more now then the Shelby. I really did miss it and am so glad to have it back. I never bought either car as a financial investment it was an investment in fun to which I am getting my moneys worth.
I plan to drive them till I'm too old and then pass them down to my sons.

Good luck with either car
__________________
M1R Member #1829
2011 Shelby GT-500 Grabber Blue
W/SVT Performance Package
Born on Friday, 6-25-2010
Purchased 8-19-2010

2003 Zinc Yellow Auto I/UP (Build #8280 of 9652)
Born on Thursday, 7/17/03
Purchased 8-18-2003 first owner
Sold 8-19-2010 bought GT500
Purchased again 3-3-2017 fifth owner
Purchased for my wife to drive (but she knows I love the car)
HAEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
Mach351
Psycho Dog is Psycho
 
Mach351's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lewisville, TX
Posts: 1,896
Re: Mach vs Boss

Thinking of most any vehicle as a financial investment is a bad idea.

I'd love to have a Boss 302 in the stable, but other expenses have priority at the moment. And the Mach only cost some pocket change in storage insurance to sit in the garage.

_
Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:25 PM   #4
MachRyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: IL
Posts: 21
Re: Mach vs Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAEG View Post
Don't own a Boss but I own a 2011 Shelby. I traded my Mach in to get the Shelby and for years convinced myself it was the right move because I would have walked past the Mach and just drive the Shelby. Well I bought the same Mach1 back a year ago (I'm the 1st and now 5th owner) and have to say I drive the Mach 1 more now then the Shelby. I really did miss it and am so glad to have it back. I never bought either car as a financial investment it was an investment in fun to which I am getting my moneys worth.
I plan to drive them till I'm too old and then pass them down to my sons.

Good luck with either car
Very interesting perspective. I appreciate that feedback. I'd have a tough time choosing between a Shelby and my Mach - it's a good problem to have though.
MachRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:28 PM   #5
Recon
Registered User
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Hopinsville
Posts: 87
A Boss is one of the very few mustangs newer than 09 that I have any interest in owning.
A comparison between the GT350 and Boss:
https://youtu.be/U97I_feu8mE


Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1
 
falcongtho3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Posts: 15,870
Re: Mach vs Boss

As the owner of both, my answer would be, what are you looking to get out of your car.
You're talking about the best balanced versions of what was offered in each platform. Neither were the fastest of their kind, as there were blowers strapped on to each generation and snake logos affixed.
My first thought was, when I got my Boss, that this was similar to the differences in a '69 Mustang and a '73 Mustang. The Boss drives 'bigger', is bigger, has more power. It feels like it belongs to the video game generation, while the Mach 1 is more communicative, feels smaller, more nimble, more strapped on than strapped in. I'm often asked which I prefer.
My answer is, I like my Boss, I love my Mach 1.

__________________
Krewe de la Mach Rouge

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:38 PM   #7
03BumbleBee
Registered User
 
03BumbleBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SunRiver Ca.
Posts: 3,146
Re: Mach vs Boss

Bought our Mach new Sept. 2003 and never ever thought of selling her. Have been approached 5 times in the last three years by people who want to know if it is for sale. This car just has the "IT" factor, are the new cars faster, quicker....sure. Does that make them better....not in my mind. The Boss 302 is a great car, power, looks, handling and heritage. If I could only own a Boss by not having the Mach, I guess I would never own a Boss.
__________________
If we were all ugly, then we would all be good looking!

Welcome to the Mach 1 Cafe!
"Today's Special..Smoked Honda"
Finally a member of 10,000 mile club!
03BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:04 PM   #8
HAEG
Heppasketties
 
HAEG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Mercer County, NJ
Posts: 4,462
Re: Mach vs Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongtho3 View Post
I'm often asked which I prefer.
My answer is, I like my Boss, I love my Mach 1.
Agreed
Love the Mach
__________________
M1R Member #1829
2011 Shelby GT-500 Grabber Blue
W/SVT Performance Package
Born on Friday, 6-25-2010
Purchased 8-19-2010

2003 Zinc Yellow Auto I/UP (Build #8280 of 9652)
Born on Thursday, 7/17/03
Purchased 8-18-2003 first owner
Sold 8-19-2010 bought GT500
Purchased again 3-3-2017 fifth owner
Purchased for my wife to drive (but she knows I love the car)
HAEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #9
MachRyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: IL
Posts: 21
Re: Mach vs Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
A Boss is one of the very few mustangs newer than 09 that I have any interest in owning.
Boss 302 or a GT350 are the only two I'd own newer than my 04 Mach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongtho3 View Post
My answer is, I like my Boss, I love my Mach 1.
I think were I to actually buy a Boss I'd end up feeling the same. I have a gut feeling that I would get in the Boss and wouldn't have the same tug at the heartstrings as I do when I sit in, startup and drive my Mach. I wouldn't mind finding out though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BumbleBee View Post
If I could only own a Boss by not having the Mach, I guess I would never own a Boss.
Well said.
MachRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:24 PM   #10
Recon
Registered User
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Hopinsville
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRyan View Post
Boss 302 or a GT350 are the only two I'd own newer than my 04 Mach.

Well I can’t say that, due to both of my 3V’s, and I haven’t driven my Mach yet.



Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:09 AM   #11
MachRyan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: IL
Posts: 21
Re: Mach vs Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
Well I can’t say that, due to both of my 3V’s, and I haven’t driven my Mach yet.
Yah, I stupidly left the GT500 off the list anyways. I'd kill to have one of those too.
MachRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:47 PM   #12
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1
 
falcongtho3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Posts: 15,870
Re: Mach vs Boss

Depends on what you're looking for and what you're looking to spend. The GT500 is a massively powerful car, but the GT350 is a spectacularly balanced car with incredible handling and an engine that makes all the right music. The GT350R I drove is quite possibly the most perfect car I've ever driven.

__________________
Krewe de la Mach Rouge

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:06 PM   #13
Recon
Registered User
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Hopinsville
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRyan View Post
Yah, I stupidly left the GT500 off the list anyways. I'd kill to have one of those too.


They are nice as well. I’m very fond of my Roush, even if it has that POS M90 on it. But the 2.3 TavS will go nicely with the Aluminator engine I have for the car.


Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:20 PM   #14
311-420
M-112 Mach 1
 
311-420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: +€×♤$
Posts: 6,728
Re: Mach vs Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
They are nice as well. I’m very fond of my Roush, even if it has that POS M90 on it. But the 2.3 TavS will go nicely with the Aluminator engine I have for the car.


Pick your poison.
which roush do you have? i had an 02 360r red/white from 05-07. loved that car, the blower sound was glorious even at part throttle.
__________________
04 Oxford White // 5spd, IUP, Eaton--452/409
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:39 PM   #15
Recon
Registered User
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Hopinsville
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 311-420 View Post
which roush do you have? i had an 02 360r red/white from 05-07. loved that car, the blower sound was glorious even at part throttle.


I have an 08 427R vista blue/pearl white. I agree the blower wine is loud but the blower can’t make any decent power. So I’m getting the 2.3 TVS and I’ll install my P-51 shortblock, then tune it to a safe 600rwhp.


Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #16
AlloyPony
Registered User
 
AlloyPony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 122
Re: Mach vs Boss

In my opinion, the 2004 car is the last one that felt muscular. There's just something about that Fox platform that feels raw. Feels powerful. It's poorly insulated. It's loud. It's small. It's got tons of visibility. You sit on the wheel instead of down under the wheel. The interior is cheap plastic. The controls are kindergarten simple. It's all about the experience. When you turn the key on a pre-2005 car it just feels like a fun enthusiast car should feel.

The newer cars are big, heavy, well insulated, with instruments and touch screens and buttons everywhere. They are comfortable and convenient. The gap between a coupe and a sedan has closed with the newer stuff. And to me, that just doesn't feel the same. It's not as fun to drive. A GT350 will smoke my car. So will a Hellcat. So will a ZL1. But none of them feel the same and none of them are as fun as the Mach 1.

It's all about the experience. To me, you can't get the same experience with newer cars.
__________________
2003 Mach 1 - TR3650 - Mac O/R H-pipe - Ford Racing driveshaft - Modified air intake - Nitto Motivo 315/35s on 10.5" FR500 wheels - Steeda clutch adjuster
AlloyPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:51 PM   #17
311-420
M-112 Mach 1
 
311-420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: +€×♤$
Posts: 6,728
Re: Mach vs Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
I have an 08 427R vista blue/pearl white. I agree the blower wine is loud but the blower can’t make any decent power. So I’m getting the 2.3 TVS and I’ll install my P-51 shortblock, then tune it to a safe 600rwhp.


Pick your poison.
With mild bolt ons mine made 399rwhp. I was more than content! It was perfect for ripping around in.
__________________
04 Oxford White // 5spd, IUP, Eaton--452/409
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #18
Recon
Registered User
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Hopinsville
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 311-420 View Post
With mild bolt ons mine made 399rwhp. I was more than content! It was perfect for ripping around in.

There are ways to wake up the cars, but on the 3V the blower maxes out at 8-9lbs of boost, with a 2.49in pulley. Then it heat soaks like a mofo. The TVS blower is substantially better in every way, but the whine department. The M90 is a screamer. Heck my old SSEI Bonneville has an M90 on it and it makes about 8lbs with the stock 3.5+in pulley.


Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:45 AM   #19
Fauxnali
What's Shakin'
 
Fauxnali's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St Albert Alberta
Posts: 696
Re: Mach vs Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
In my opinion, the 2004 car is the last one that felt muscular. There's just something about that Fox platform that feels raw. Feels powerful. It's poorly insulated. It's loud. It's small. It's got tons of visibility. You sit on the wheel instead of down under the wheel. The interior is cheap plastic. The controls are kindergarten simple. It's all about the experience. When you turn the key on a pre-2005 car it just feels like a fun enthusiast car should feel.

The newer cars are big, heavy, well insulated, with instruments and touch screens and buttons everywhere. They are comfortable and convenient. The gap between a coupe and a sedan has closed with the newer stuff. And to me, that just doesn't feel the same. It's not as fun to drive. A GT350 will smoke my car. So will a Hellcat. So will a ZL1. But none of them feel the same and none of them are as fun as the Mach 1.


It's all about the experience. To me, you can't get the same experience with newer cars.
^^^
This all day. I actually had this same feeling when I went from my ‘85 5.0 with T-tops to the Mach1. It was lighter, twitchier, and you felt more exposed in hairy situations. I’ve driven a new GT and while a beautiful car, it doesn’t have that same raw feeling that the Mach has.
All this being said, the only two cars I would even consider trading the Mach in for would be a 2012-13 Boss or a GT-350. Oh, or maybe a 2000 Cobra R.
__________________
1971 Mustang Coupe
Sold

1985 Mustang GT T-tops
Sold

2003 Azure Blue
IUP Automatic
One of 453
#2290 of 9652
Built on February 24th 2003
Eibach Pro-Kit, no ISO's in rear
Magnapacks CatBacks
Mac O/R X-pipe
K&N Drop in filter
4.10 Ford Racing Gears
SCT Tuned by Bama
Best 1/4 13.55 @ 102.11
Fauxnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #20
311-420
M-112 Mach 1
 
311-420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: +€×♤$
Posts: 6,728
Re: Mach vs Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
There are ways to wake up the cars, but on the 3V the blower maxes out at 8-9lbs of boost, with a 2.49in pulley. Then it heat soaks like a mofo. The TVS blower is substantially better in every way, but the whine department. The M90 is a screamer. Heck my old SSEI Bonneville has an M90 on it and it makes about 8lbs with the stock 3.5+in pulley.


Pick your poison.
yeah its a small blower, but i like that for a street car. its wound so tight at any rpm the throttle response is mind blowing. i think mine made 8psi after the pulley swap. with less cylinders to fill, and probably smaller cylinders at that, the m90 will make more boost on your bonneville but the power advantage still goes to the roush!
__________________
04 Oxford White // 5spd, IUP, Eaton--452/409
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #21
Recon
Registered User
 
Recon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Hopinsville
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 311-420 View Post
yeah its a small blower, but i like that for a street car. its wound so tight at any rpm the throttle response is mind blowing. i think mine made 8psi after the pulley swap. with less cylinders to fill, and probably smaller cylinders at that, the m90 will make more boost on your bonneville but the power advantage still goes to the roush!

The Bonneville M90 is a much more efficient design than the Roush model. But with everything I have planned the 2.3 TVS will be just fine on the Roush, and would be a wiser choice. Being the car will be more road course focused; so a blower that will run cooler longer will be needed.



Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2002-2013 Mach1Registry.com

<