2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "Show" Discussions > Detailing/Cleaning Tips

Detailing/Cleaning Tips Cleaning your Mach 1 - Washing, Waxing, Detailing Tips and suggestions

Old 04-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #1
AlloyPony

Dealing with rock chips

So, since I started driving in 1995 I've lost track of how many vehicles I have owned. It's sort of a sickness. Lol. Mustangs, Camaros, a Challenger...Jeeps, pickups, etc. Maybe 25 vehicles or so altogether.

I have NEVER seen a car that has paint chips like this Mach 1. When I bought the car, it was a 1-owner and he cared for it really well, but, he did daily drive it for a while and the bumper, fenders, and hood looked like they had been driven through heavy shotgun fire. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen.

So, I spent a good amount of money last year and had the bumper, hood, and fenders painted. The car looked amazing. I put about 5,000 miles on it and the darn thing is chipping all over again. Bumper, hood, etc. has little white specs from chips showing all over the paint.

I had a '94 GT and a '01 GT, so same basic body style, and neither of them chipped like this. I'm wondering if the Azure Blue paint specifically is the problem? Is there something about that formula that just doesn't hold up well?

So I called around and got some quote for the clear protective film for the front. Prices were from $450 to $900. No thanks....I had the entire front painted for $900.

So... does anybody here have any suggestions? How can I keep the paint on this car from getting destroyed again?? (Not driving it isn't an option for me
Old 04-08-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Re: Dealing with rock chips

Yeah, they are just too **** proud of that clear protective film stuff. Even just doing the front bumper is too expensive lol.

I use Dr. ColorChip for mine. The paint I've gotten has always matched and it's pretty easy to put on, especially for those of us that don't have a steady hand. If your patient, you can use it to fill up deep chips too. I've order kits twice over the 7 years I've owned my Mach. I've always been satisfied with the results.

https://www.drcolorchip.com/
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #3
311-420
Can't be bridled

As paint ages it "dries out" and will chip easier. Doesn't matter how much of a garage queen the car is or has been. Stay far back from other cars on the highway and steer clear of gravel roads and that's about all you can do, besides pay $900 for a piece of plastic film I guess. If you had the front end repainted recently and it's already chipping, I would be inclined to think the job wasn't done to very high standards. But I'm no paint/body guy. Azure may just be a color that makes chips more visible.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #4
AlloyPony

I've also considered a Colgan bra for the front that I could use during my weekly commute and then take it off for the weekend car shows. That would certainly do the trick, it would just be a pain to take the bra off and put it on again all the time.

Sigh..

I noticed that 3M had a clear spray film called "Paint Defender" that did exactly what I want, but it appears that they took it off the market a couple of years ago. I wonder why they pulled it?
Old 04-08-2019, 05:33 PM   #5
Big Ron
Original 03 TR Owner

If I remember correctly there was a 3 month problem with there being bad primer put on the hoods of our cars when built. Mine fell in the time period. I too had excessive amount of rock chips. When I had the front of mine repainted I told them of the primer problem and it was a lot more than the stated $900.00. Since then I have just driven slower. When I travel on the interstate now I stay right around 60 mph. This gives the rocks and bugs time to get out of the way. LOL So far so good. It has been about a year since repaint. No chips.

I wouldn't put the clear protective film on my car even if it was free.

Big Ron
Big Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:27 PM   #6
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

Pretty much a given on the '03s with original paint. There is a TSB out on the proper procedure to repaint the front end. Ford admitted there was a problem, just would help fix it.

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery

Last edited by HAEG; 04-09-2019 at 08:14 AM.
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:15 AM   #7
HAEG
Heppasketties

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongtho3 View Post
Pretty much a given on the '03s with original paint. There is a TSB out on the proper procedure to repaint the front end. Ford admitted there was a problem, just would help fix it.

Those Bass Turds
M1R Member #1829
2011 Shelby GT-500 Grabber Blue
W/SVT Performance Package
Born on Friday, 6-25-2010
Purchased 8-19-2010

2003 Zinc Yellow Auto I/UP (Build #8280 of 9652)
Born on Thursday, 7/17/03
Purchased 8-18-2003 first owner
Sold 8-19-2010 bought GT500
Purchased again 3-3-2017 fifth owner
Purchased for my wife to drive (but she knows I love the car)
HAEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:24 AM   #8
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

i had the 3m film put on my bumper and it lasted around 10 years. The front bumper is still in perfect shape some ~50k miles later. Id rather do that than pay $900 for paint every couple years

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 02:23 PM   #9
AlloyPony

So, I ended up taking the car to the lowest bidder. He covered the front bumper and edge of the hood with SolarGard Clearshield Pro film and charged me $450. It is nearly invisible...except that the Mach 1 has the hood decal that GTs don't and there was nothing he could do except cover up the lower half of the decal with the film. It would have been too difficult to cut the film to fit around the decal and make the edges all look nice. So, the end result is that 1/2 of my decal is matte and the other half appears glossy now.

But, like he said, I'd rather have a glossy looking decal than one beat all to heck by rock chips.

I wish I had done this the week after I had the front end painted. Sigh... live and learn.
Attached Thumbnails
ClearshieldFilm.jpg  
Old 05-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #10
rich1
AUTOMACHTIC

My paint on the bumper was bad too. I took it to a real good paint shop here . They said the paint was not done correct from the factory . They did a perfect match that does not chip or crack for $500.
UPGRADES...Tokico Illuminas Borla SS Catback , Steeda Underdrives , Strut Brace , HPM Lower K Brace , L /C Arms , U /C Arms , HPM PanHard Bar, K&N FRPK 2, GOODYEAR GT1 , MRT- H-Pipe , JLT VaporTraps , SLP-12'" Tips! , FRPP Shorty 1 5/8 Headers , Brembo D/S & PBR D/S Rotors ,FRPP Alum.DS ,Roys 3/8 Spacer , SVT Focus 255 pump SCTsw Chip PRO-DYNOjet NA 300.01hp /315tq (Auto) ,Innovate W/B ,Compucar Wet Kit (90jet) + Heater and E Gauge * 360 hp/385tq 12.5 -1/4 @112
rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:56 PM   #11
bris09

I just got mine back from having the front bumper painted (4th time since 04). This time though he said there was a poor repair done to the bumper and what ever they used was gooey. Said it was preventing the paint from properly sticking. He took it down to bare plastic and started over. I was quite intrigued about this "repair" as I have owned the car since it had 562 miles and the only thing ever done was chip repairs. He said he was intrigued as well since the cover was flawless under the goo. Painter said he added a flex agent that slows the drying of the paint to keep it flexible longer. Hopefully the paint sticks better this time.
Enough to not be the slowest, but nowhere near enough to be the fastest.

17 Fusion Sport
Now faster than the Mach

96 Laser Red Cobra Vert
For those days you just wanna cruise with the top down

89 Shelby CSX
Still rocking the VNT and Fiberides.
bris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 02:23 AM   #12
Mach! Schnell!
Rice Hunter

I realize this is a very old thread, but I just wanted to say that my yellow 2003 Mach1 has exactly one paint chip in the hood. Original paint - I drive it regularly in the summertime - 75K miles on it. So apparently not all the 03 paint jobs were not screwed up by Ford.