2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Exhaust System

Exhaust System Exhaust Q & A

Old 05-13-2005, 09:40 PM   #26
Orange whip 04
Never Fear Smith Is Here

Re: FYI on exhaust systems

Gald to hear you found the problem. Sounds like the pin outs were not connected correctly or somthing. It always does some good to check over all connections.
Orange whip 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 04:44 PM   #27
Mach&Roll
On the aftermarket trail

Well man It is back on and I made a thread to see if anyone else has had this problem. It came on around the 70 mile mark. OH well I guess if no one can help I will have to put the stock exhaust back on and take it in to the dealer. I think I will pay to have them put back on.

2005 Mustang Gt
* 20" wheels
* Flowmaster Axel Back Exhaust
* K&N CAI Intake
* SCT custom tune
* Pypes X-Pipe
* Shaker 1000 audio system

2004 White Mach 1
* Super Forty Flowmaster Mufflers
* Bassani On/Off road X-pipe
* Air Silencer Removed
* K&N Drop in Filter

Mach&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:03 AM   #28
ht218006

Thanks for the good info, it took a little while to get through but good info is worth the wait. I have been looking into exhaust for a while now, I am looking for a comfortable idle a fairly deep growl on the wind up and a comfortable ride at 50 to 60. If anyone has any sugestions on witch set up will make my dreams come true the help would be much appricated.
thanks, ht218006
ht218006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:31 PM   #29
Mach&Roll
On the aftermarket trail

Everyone is going to tell you what they like you need to hear things and decide what you like man. I like the x sound with flowmasters.

2005 Mustang Gt
* 20" wheels
* K&N CAI Intake
* SCT custom tune
* Pypes X-Pipe

2004 White Mach 1
* Air Silencer Removed
* K&N Drop in Filter

Old 06-25-2005, 08:15 PM   #30
ht218006

I was checking some of the other posts and someone mentioned the web site mustang exhaust.com so i cheched it out. They had some sound clips. some of them were alright but it was hard to get the true sound since most of the clips were broken up pretty bad. the plan is to try and find some better sound clips and go from there. i think that if i am going to do anything the best way to go about it is new headers new x pipe and new cat back all in one shot, so i have about 6 months to decide witch way to go.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:38 PM   #31
Mach&Roll
On the aftermarket trail

Hey what are you leaning towards now? I still am up in the air on the cat back. Let me know if you find any good clips.

2005 Mustang Gt
* 20" wheels
* K&N CAI Intake
* SCT custom tune
* Pypes X-Pipe

2004 White Mach 1
* Air Silencer Removed
* K&N Drop in Filter

Old 07-02-2005, 08:23 PM   #32
ht218006

sorry its been so long the work has been keeping me busy. the borla's had a rich tone and there were some other that had some decient clips. the sight was free to sign up for and they had the same set up as this one. plenty of good info to go around.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:36 PM   #33
Mach&Roll
On the aftermarket trail

So you are leaning towards borla huh? They are spendy.

2005 Mustang Gt
* 20" wheels
* K&N CAI Intake
* SCT custom tune
* Pypes X-Pipe

2004 White Mach 1
* Air Silencer Removed
* K&N Drop in Filter

Old 11-29-2005, 10:23 PM   #34
Funhog
Mach and Harley owner

There was a lot of good info on this thread. I just have a few questions. Someone said that it takes hours to install headers, but the stock exhaust manifolds do just fine..is that right? Also did I read it correctly that an O/R H will hook up directly to the exhaust manifold? I was thinking of a good 3" O/R H pipe but I cannot find any. And I have flowmasters now on my 5.0 and I love the old school sound...will I get the same sound coming from the mach even though it is only 4.6? I would want to get 3" flows to match the mid pipe, but again, I cannot find them. Any help
03 Mach 1 - P1SC with 3.60", bored .020 over, forged bottom end, FRPP shorties, Magnaflow catted X, Magnapacks, Tokico blues, H&R SS, MM C/C plates, Spec 2+, Steeda FWA, MM clutch quadrant, MGW Orange, FR500 17x9/17x10.5
My Rides
Funhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:44 PM   #35
Mach&Roll
On the aftermarket trail

I think the headers flow good to a certain point. If you put on a power adder then their is good power to be had from the change

2005 Mustang Gt
* 20" wheels
* K&N CAI Intake
* SCT custom tune
* Pypes X-Pipe

2004 White Mach 1
* Air Silencer Removed
* K&N Drop in Filter

Old 02-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #36
17368_Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach&Roll
So you are leaning towards borla huh? They are spendy.
Like Jr. on Dallas used to say "If you gotta ask the price, you probably can't afford it..."

Yes Borla's are a little 'spendy' but worth it . . . IMO...

'96 Impala SS - When I wanna go fast in comfort...
'03 Mach 1 - When I wanna go fast; period...
17368_Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #37
Mach&Roll
On the aftermarket trail

I guess you have a point on the borlas. I personally don't like them.

2005 Mustang Gt
* 20" wheels
* K&N CAI Intake
* SCT custom tune
* Pypes X-Pipe

2004 White Mach 1
* Air Silencer Removed
* K&N Drop in Filter

Old 05-22-2006, 08:13 PM   #38
Ralph Greene

Get a tune, and have the tuner turn your cat light off in the computer.

When I took my stock catback off, we cut it just behind the muffler. So I could look into the muffler.

I couldn't believe how small the pipe is coming thru the muffler. I would guess in the 1 3/4" range. A major cork.

Ford saw fit to use a 2 1/2" mid pipe and 2 1/2" catback on the 05's, on an engine making slightly less power than we make. Does that tell you anything?

BTW....3" is way too big for 300 HP....someone above mentioning that. You want exhaust free flowing enough to exhaust, but not so large as to slow down the velocity. Keeping velocity up is important. I have some tuner friends who like to tune around LT's, X pipe, and stock 2 1/4" pipes with good flowing mufflers welded in. They get great street power. And the smaller pipes are quieter than larger pipes...,a lot of the drone from 2 1/2" systems comes from the larger pipes.
Real Ford FR 500 18X9 Wheels
255X40X18 Michelin Tires
Steeda Sport Springs (isolators in)
Tokico HP Struts/Shocks
Steeda 4 bolt CC Plates
Poly Offset Steering Rack Bushings
Steeda TriAx Shifter
Magnaflow X/Cats
Bassani Catback with Removable Baffles
Ralph Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:50 AM   #39
Mach&Roll
On the aftermarket trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Greene
Get a tune, and have the tuner turn your cat light off in the computer.

When I took my stock catback off, we cut it just behind the muffler. So I could look into the muffler.

I couldn't believe how small the pipe is coming thru the muffler. I would guess in the 1 3/4" range. A major cork.

Ford saw fit to use a 2 1/2" mid pipe and 2 1/2" catback on the 05's, on an engine making slightly less power than we make. Does that tell you anything?

BTW....3" is way too big for 300 HP....someone above mentioning that. You want exhaust free flowing enough to exhaust, but not so large as to slow down the velocity. Keeping velocity up is important. I have some tuner friends who like to tune around LT's, X pipe, and stock 2 1/4" pipes with good flowing mufflers welded in. They get great street power. And the smaller pipes are quieter than larger pipes...,a lot of the drone from 2 1/2" systems comes from the larger pipes.
Nice info. I was also mad at the size of the stock muffler and how crappy the bends were on the system.

2005 Mustang Gt
* 20" wheels
* K&N CAI Intake
* SCT custom tune
* Pypes X-Pipe

2004 White Mach 1
* Air Silencer Removed
* K&N Drop in Filter

Old 10-12-2006, 02:59 PM   #40
palsar

Pardon my ignorance on this, I'm new to the Mach I world, but what is a "tune", who does it, and when do you need it?

Thanks.

Alan
palsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #41
FastBlueMach1
Crewchief

i have an x pipe w/o cats and dual flowmaster 40 series and the install looks like crap. i want to go with a long tube header and a great sounding/performing system that doesnt look like it was put together with spare parts. what are the best full systems on the market?

BBK 65mm TB
SCT x3
Kooks LT, o/r X Mac Catback
PSR K w/ D Spec coilovers
2000 Cobra R brakes
275/40/17 F1GSD3
315/35/17 F1GSD3
FR500 wheels 17x9, 17x10.5
Amsoil engine and tranny
4.10 gears
ACT 14.3 lb flywheel
SPEC clutch
FRPP driveshaft
C&L full intake w/85mm maf
MGW shifter
NGK TR55ix
319HP 333TQ at the wheels
H&K USP compact .40S&W
FastBlueMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:29 PM   #42
DSG_RYAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstang360 View Post
X-pipe Question... I've installed a BBK X-pipe with flowmaster 40 series and sounds are great at idle. When I open the throttle up a quarter or higher it sounds like I have a rattle in the system. I've taken it to my local shop and they could not find anything loose and no solution. Oh yea it also does it when I crank it up. Does any one have any insight on this? I no my worst fear is I will have to replace it all with another system.
thanks in advance
I think your problem is within your bbk x pipe. i know from experience because i had the same set up with slp resonators and i heard the noise almost like metal hitting metal. so i changed to a magnaflow cat back and it sounded even worse. i found out it was the amount of air in the x pipe didnt translate to the amount of air leaving your car... very common problem. im pretty sure a tune would help
DSG_RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:34 PM   #43
DSG_RYAN

a tune is best described by a read of all information on your specific car. i would recomend one after an instalation of any performence part. it helps that part to perform at its maximum potential
DSG_RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #44
CAD THE MAN

Awesome overview...thanks a million
CAD THE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #45
mach128

i agree with the difference with the h-pipe and x-pipe. i have jba headers, pacesetter o/r h-pipe and bassani cat-back, the car sounds great and sounds like a muscle car. i don't like the x-pipe sound cuz it isn't a deep deep rumble. they way mine is set up is loud loud, but not to loud. i have another buddy with just mac o/r h-pipe and borla cat-back and we both sound almost the same, the big difference on exhaust is that mid pipe, my headers just gave me a deeper tone, but not to much. but the mid pipe is what give the car that different sound weather you want a deep muscle car sound or a raspy sound.
mach128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:14 AM   #46
03stangmach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange whip 04 View Post
I thought I would take a few minutes and express my opinions of exhaust systems and for people that are trying to decide what they want in a exhaust system.
In todays 03 and 04 mach1's there are three basic parts to the exhaust system.
Exhaust manifolds/headers. However they resemble that of exhaust manifolds to me. The catted H mid-pipe which is the middle section of the exhaust that holds your converters and 02 sensors. And lastly, the "Cat Back" as most people call them which is of course the last part of the exhaust which contains your mufflers, tail pipes and exhaust tips.
When we are contemplating a exhaust upgrade we should consider a few things. First of all lets think of the engine as a big air pump. More air that enters the engine needs to exit quickly with the least amount of restriction in order to create more horse power (Air in.. Air out). To achieve this we allow for bigger exhaust systems. Meaning, upgrading to bigger exhaust pipes
(2 1/4) to
(2 1/2) or 3 inch, removing the converters and deciding what mufflers have high CFM flow rates. Higher CFM flow rates will allow less restrictions. By making all these combined upgrades we are also decreasing the heat and high back pressures with in the system. With less heat and less back pressure we are allowing the air pump (engine) to work more efficiently at higher rates of effort which will free up horse power at the same time. The down fall from this is that we may lose some low end torque. I consider this a small disadvantage since torque could be made up in other areas of the engine. All these are aspects in deciding performance for your exhaust.

Alot of people are looking for exhaust tones and higher sound levels in a exhaust system. Less restrictions in a exhaust system will alow the exhaust to emit louder exhaust levels. A huge part of why a engine is quiet is because of the fact that cats are in place and mufflers with low CFM rates keep sound levels at bay. It seems almost sacreligeous to have a mustang mach1 sound as quiet as it does from the factory. Thank god for aftermarket exhaust systems. In most cases the mufflers (chambered & straight through), resonators, packs, will set the tone for your exhaust. Depending on there CFM rate they also can allow for louder sound levels as well. Here are some simple guide lines to follow when considering a exhaust system.

Offroad mid H = Absolute loudest aside from open headers, retains classic muscle car tone.

Offroad mid X = Absolute loudest aside from open headers, retains a Euro/Raspy exhaust tone no matter what cat back or mufflers have been installed. This is because of the X design that it sounds the way it does.

MAC prochamber = A design that incorperates both H and X pipe technology but shares no physical characteristics between the H and X pipe. This pipe will also retain the classic muscle car tone and should be considered as a off road pipe since it does not have cats. Though, a catted version is avaliable.

All three mid pipes are loud but your choice of a cat back or type of mufflers will determine how loud the total system is. If you are installing one of the off road mid pipes and are also considering a cat back system, now is the time to decide how loud you want it to be. With this in mind the only two mufflers i have heard that will quiet the mid pipes down are the stock mufflers and the regular performance magnaflows. All other mufflers/resonators/packs that i have heard be it either chambered or straight through designs seem to be loud and are frightfully exciting.

If you are deciding to just upgrade the cat back, aisde from open pipes or no mufflers, you can install just about any chambered or straight through muffler, resonator or pack and the sound levels will be some what managable. Many people decide that this is not enough sound level for them so they go with a offroad pipe or performance catted pipe for the extra sound level. Here are some more guide lines: Cat backs / mufflers

Chambered mufflers = Sets exhaust tone, can effect sound level depending on higher or lower CFM rates. Manufactures exhaust sound signature varies. Chambered mufflers have areas with in that contain aranged blocked sections which causes the exhaust to bounce off each other before they exit through. Think of this as a maze. Some chambered mufflers are loud like for example the 2 chamber Flowmasters. This type of muffler has a distinctive sound which many desire.

Straight through muffler designs = Sets exhaust tone, can effect sound levels and higher CFM rates are more prevelant. Straight through designs are typicaly louder than chambered mufflers and contain perferated areas with in the pipe along with revolving steel wool packing for example, the Dynomax race magnums which also have there own distinctive tone. Manufactures exhaust sound signature varies.

Resonators / Packs = Sets exhaust tone, will effect sound levels, higher CFM rates are more prevelant. Since resonators and packs are not considered mufflers many of them do retain straight through designs. They do not have chambers or areas of exhaust storage which will effect the exhaust tone in a different way. The straight through design in reguards to the resonator has a shaped pipe through the center which again, effects the exhaust tone. These types of resonators and packs are also considered loud Since they are close to open pipes.

Hope this helps guys. If you want to add your thoughts and concerns please feel free to add it in the post. Thanks
Hey I am torn between the x and h pipe. After reading this very helpful post I am now leaning towards the Mac Prochamber, which if i read correctly says that they incorporate both the x and h sound in their midpipe??
03stangmach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:23 AM   #47
Jimyg34
MACH NU1

Great info, thanks to all who had contributed, a special txs to Orange!
VIN#420549 Stock- SCT Tuned
Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
K&N CAI
Jimyg34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #48
AC4

Great thread.

I'm buying an 03 with a shifter, brake work and a K&N. Is exhaust the next thing I should do? I'm not looking to build a drag car, just want to boost the performance a bit.

Is there a natural progression for the bolt-on mods?
AC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #49
nitehunter1989

so with ceramic, basically the only difference would be less heat in the engine, but more heat in the exhaust? am i understanding it correctly, or is there more to it such as benefits or downfalls?

thanks
nitehunter1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #50
ScottB

Great info, does anyone make a 3" O/R midpipe for our cars with stock mannifolds?
ScottB is offline   Reply With Quote