2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Body, Chassis & Interior

Body, Chassis & Interior Body, Chassis and Interior mods/discussions

Old 08-26-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
HAWAIIMACH

Creaking Sound

My '03 mach 1 has a creaking sound (like a door in a haunted mansion opening slowly) when the right rear tire/suspension gets compressed (like when reversing into my driveway). The sound is from the right rear shock area. I replaced the shock, springs and control arms to eliminate them...they are not the problem. This leads me to believe it is in the body somewhere...like a bad weld or something? Anyone have any similar problem?

Thanks.
03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1 5 Speed, Steeda timing adjuster, 4:30 gears, Flowmaster 40's, Steeda Sport Springs
HAWAIIMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 05:05 PM   #2
2k4mk1
Lakers beat our butts

Re: Creaking Sound

Front end of mine creaks but so has the frt end of every mustang Ive ever owned.
No rear creaking but my brakes do squeak when backing up only no noise when moving fwd.

04 Oxford White
5 Spd with IUP
K&N Aircharger
Borla Stingers
SLP Catted X
Steeda Tri-Ax
SCT flash tune.
Drilled/Slotted rotors all 4 corners.
283rwhp (Mustang Dyno)
306rwhp (sae on Dynojet)
D/O/B 12-05-03
Del. 01-21-04
2k4mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 05:57 PM   #3
Screaming04
old timer

Are you sure that it isn't coming from the front? Search "creak". Mine and several others' was the steering rack bushings. Mine was fixed under warranty last year, no problems since.

Adrian
Old 08-26-2005, 06:11 PM   #4
manny

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIMACH
My '03 mach 1 has a creaking sound (like a door in a haunted mansion opening slowly) when the right rear tire/suspension gets compressed (like when reversing into my driveway). The sound is from the right rear shock area. I replaced the shock, springs and control arms to eliminate them...they are not the problem. This leads me to believe it is in the body somewhere...like a bad weld or something? Anyone have any similar problem?

Thanks.
Oh yeah, I've had that problem for 6 months or so now, and my car only has 2900 miles on it. I did read a thread somewhere about a bad weld on the rear seat floor pan that was causing the noise.
manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 12:37 AM   #5
rcode99

I had it. Creaked whenever I accelerated from a stop, or drove over a curb. It was from bad spot welds on the torque boxes. The delearships know about it. If you do a search on welds my old post will show before and after pics. Once the dealer welded the boxes, no more noises.

Check this thread...
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ight=bad+welds

"Never slap a man who has a mouthful of chewing tobacco." Will Rogers said that.
rcode99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 01:01 AM   #6
alex04mach1

Creaked I got was coming from the trunk where the speakers were mounted. I had to stuff some foams and noise was gone. It was annoying that's why. I also had the one on the front when making a left turn and dealership took care of it. Also from the rear side window area and the one from the radio bezel.
SLP LM1 Catback, K&N Drop in filter, Bilstein HD Front Struts, Rear Shocks & Quad shocks, H&R Race Springs, MM Caster-Camber Plates, TA Performance Girdle, Ford Racing Aluminum Transmission Pan, Royal Purple 5W20, Chrome Cobra wheels - Goodyear F1 tires, Halibrand Wheels (Alternate shoes), Bullit Front and Rear Brake Calipers, Ford Racing Cobra Drilled/ Slotted Rotors, MGW Billet, 04 Cobra Front & Rear Bumpers, Colgan Front & Side Mirror Covers
alex04mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 12:00 PM   #7
HAWAIIMACH

This is great information, thanks everybody. My noise is definitley coming from the rear passenger's side, not the front. It sounds like it is up in the inner rear wheel well area, so it could very likely be the torque box welds. I have a welder, maybe I will weld up the torque boxes myself and see if that works.
03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1 5 Speed, Steeda timing adjuster, 4:30 gears, Flowmaster 40's, Steeda Sport Springs
Old 08-27-2005, 12:51 PM   #8
manny

Quote:
This is great information, thanks everybody. My noise is definitley coming from the rear passenger's side, not the front. It sounds like it is up in the inner rear wheel well area, so it could very likely be the torque box welds. I have a welder, maybe I will weld up the torque boxes myself and see if that works.
That's exactly where the noise is coming from on mine. It started on the left side and now it's on the right side, and I had my torque boxes welded up before the noise even started, so I am baffled. I have learned to ignore it though, and accept that it's a part of owning a race car.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:59 AM   #9
HAWAIIMACH

I can't ignore this, it is loud and happens with every bump I hit in the road. It is driving me crazy. I'm getting out the welder on my next day off.

Chris
Old 08-28-2005, 06:54 AM   #10
manny

Quote:
I can't ignore this, it is loud and happens with every bump I hit in the road. It is driving me crazy. I'm getting out the welder on my next day off.

Chris
Let me know if you cure the problem. I have aluminum bushings in my entire rear suspension, so that may be why the noise is still present on my car.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:27 PM   #11
blown03Mach1
8LB YNER

I used to have a creaking form the right rear and read a thread about the subframe connectors not properly torqued. Tightened my bolts up and now no noise. I know I need to go with full weld ins.

TR 2003 (Jezebel) sold Mar 12...
blown03Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 03:19 AM   #12
HAWAIIMACH

Thanks for the replies. I checked the subframe connectors and they were fine. Even though I am still under warrantee, I just feel like they would not fix it right. I will assess things in the morning and maybe drop my rear end housing and check out the torque boxes.

Chris
Old 08-30-2005, 03:21 AM   #13
HAWAIIMACH

The complete rear is gutted now, did that this afternoon, tomorrow I will weld it up and put it back together. I will keep you posted.

Chris
Old 08-30-2005, 03:56 PM   #14
OrangeMach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming04
Are you sure that it isn't coming from the front? Search "creak". Mine and several others' was the steering rack bushings. Mine was fixed under warranty last year, no problems since.

Adrian
What did they do to yours? I have taken mine in twice and all the do is tighten a bolt. Two days later, same **** noise.

04 Comp Orange w/IUP 5spd.
DOB: 1/12/04
Adopted: 4/24/04
Sold: 11/26/05
1 of 895
K&N CAI
Magnaflow Magnapacks
Hurst Billet Plus
Motive 4.30 Gears
FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft
Moser 31 Spline Axles
PHP Intake Spacer
OrangeMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:42 PM   #15
manny

Quote:
The complete rear is gutted now, did that this afternoon, tomorrow I will weld it up and put it back together. I will keep you posted.

Chris
Are you gonna weld the axle tubes and upgrade the rear control arms too while you're at it?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:35 PM   #16
HAWAIIMACH

Car is FIXED!!! No more creaking sound. Here is what happened. I welded up the torque boxes, put it back together....same sound. I was frustrated but I continued my search, after gutting the trunk and pulling the rear seats I found it. Where the rear seat frame is spot welded to the top of the inner fender....the spot weld had broken. When I moved that piece by hand...there was the noise! Welded it up, no more noise!!! I am so happy now, not to mention that my torque boxes are now welded up which can't hurt! Thanks everyone.

Chris
Old 08-30-2005, 10:21 PM   #17
manny

Quote:
Car is FIXED!!! No more creaking sound. Here is what happened. I welded up the torque boxes, put it back together....same sound. I was frustrated but I continued my search, after gutting the trunk and pulling the rear seats I found it. Where the rear seat frame is spot welded to the top of the inner fender....the spot weld had broken. When I moved that piece by hand...there was the noise! Welded it up, no more noise!!! I am so happy now, not to mention that my torque boxes are now welded up which can't hurt! Thanks everyone.

Chris
Can you post a pic of the area that required weld work?
Old 08-30-2005, 11:27 PM   #18
HAWAIIMACH

Sorry, I did not take pictures. I will look around the internet and see if I can find a picture of that area and snag the picture for you.

Chris
Old 09-10-2005, 02:27 PM   #19
jskwarek

Do a search for my name, JSkwarek over on Mach1Mustang.org, I had this problem back when I bought the car and had to weld the same seat bracket back in place. There are some images of my fix over there. Let me know if you can't find the post and I'll stop being a lazy arse and find the pic's and post them again.

Jason
Old 03-13-2006, 06:48 PM   #20
Fastbandit99
Back in Black

Thanks guys, I just resolved a squeeky brake issue and moved to the strange sound in the right rear.. appears I have the same problem as posted here. this forum is great, much better than most I have been on.

Banditman
Fastbandit99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #21
BIG4CAM
Finally Bought One

I have come across an 03 Mach w/auto trans at the dealer that was brought in for a creak in the rear end suspension area, called hotline and was told that the Coupe models have been seen with missing/faulty spot welds on the rear support(package tray area). We had the full interior out of this car, finally herd the creak and isolated it, took it to the bodyshop and had them weld it. There was a weld missing where the package tray meets the b/c pillar area. Best I can describe it with no pics. sorry
Roy's Intake, 98 cams, LT's with 3 inch x pipe and spintechs, 4.56 gears

Best ET: 12.157@112.8 1.627 60ft
Best ET street tire: 12.89@110
1997 Mustang GT
4r70w
232rwhp/287tq
2001 P.I. motor swap
The slug Cruiser's best ET 13.89@98.7
1994 Lightning w276k miles
89gt camshaft w/hughes 2400k convertor
14.58@ 91mph 2.0560ft
Rusty but Trusty, still getting down and dirty on the street
BIG4CAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:21 PM   #22
3150Mach1
Love my Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskwarek
Do a search for my name, JSkwarek over on Mach1Mustang.org, I had this problem back when I bought the car and had to weld the same seat bracket back in place. There are some images of my fix over there. Let me know if you can't find the post and I'll stop being a lazy arse and find the pic's and post them again.

Jason
Here it is

http://www.mach1mustang.org/vbulleti...ead.php?t=4378

Ordered my new spring isolators today. When we install them will check new control arm torque. If we sit her down and she still makes that sound then she will be welded in every possible seam. My isolators are fried and I think that is the source.
Kooks LTsw/OR X, elect cutouts, JLT RAI w/C&L 85 MAH,1" Spacer,PP Lower intake,Accufab TB,160 T-stat,EF Cooling Mod,NX Kit,Mez Electric Water pump,SLP Linelock,FRPP 4.10s-Alum Dif Cover-Alum Driveshaft & SL, Steeda Bumpsteer,MM Alum rack bushings,Deep Alum Tranny pan,Predator,Steeda AUCAs,MM ALCAs, Dspecs,MM CC plates & FLSFCs,MRT Guage cluster,AEM WB,MRT hood struts,Seq TLs, carbon fiber hood/trunk/Cobra wing,220 amp alt
3150Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:43 AM   #23
IZZY
Lidia...merely a dream.

Quote:

Chris
Way to go, Chris. Thanks for passing on the info on your discovery & fix.
IZZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:30 PM   #24
3150Mach1
Love my Mach

Creak found and eliminated. Got under the car tonight on a creak hunt. Found it. Loose ebrake bracket. Tighten up alot of other stuff both in the rear seat area and underneath. It has no and I mean no extra noises. All I hear is the roar of my MRT catbacks. Once in a while will hear a sound from the solid end of the control arms but I love that sound.
Kooks LTsw/OR X, elect cutouts, JLT RAI w/C&L 85 MAH,1" Spacer,PP Lower intake,Accufab TB,160 T-stat,EF Cooling Mod,NX Kit,Mez Electric Water pump,SLP Linelock,FRPP 4.10s-Alum Dif Cover-Alum Driveshaft & SL, Steeda Bumpsteer,MM Alum rack bushings,Deep Alum Tranny pan,Predator,Steeda AUCAs,MM ALCAs, Dspecs,MM CC plates & FLSFCs,MRT Guage cluster,AEM WB,MRT hood struts,Seq TLs, carbon fiber hood/trunk/Cobra wing,220 amp alt
3150Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:39 PM   #25
Genghis Mach
Love at first sight

This post helped me get my car fixed, It will be nice after much noise.I temporarily stuck a thin cedar shim in spot and no sound of creaking.Dealer to weld tommorrow.Thank you mach 1 reg and members for helping ford with there quality.