2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 06-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
texas_snake

HELP! T/A girdle hitting fuel vent line and trunk???

So I added a T/A girdle on the stock rearend after putting in fresh oil. I have added one of these to each of my past mustangs for some gear banging insurance.

But... what shocks me is that after a check, I see it is hitting the fuel vent line (smashing it between the T/A girdle and the tire area of the trunk). It will eventually tear it (I certainly can't have that). I don't want to remove the T/A girdle. I also see it is hitting the top of the T/A girdle on the bottom of the tire area of the trunk (so hitting in 2 places). I can't believe there is that little clearance on this and no warning from T/A girdle to check this (since it is a serious danger if the vent pipe tears which I can tell it will). Had no issues on past mustangs. The mach 1 is lowered with SR springs, so I understand it is more likely to hit, but certainly not impossible with stock springs (just depends if you have 4 in your car and go over speed bumps). It does have the stop on the front of the driveline pumpkin. Is there another stop that might be missing??? My guess is that it hits the driveline stop, and then bends/tilts backward from that point if there is too much weight or force on the bounce.

Seems my only option is to dry to dent the tire trunk area and give enough room for the vent pipe and perhaps second area it is hitting. But this still shocks me there is not enough room for the girdle like on past mustangs. But again, perhaps I am missing a second stop?

Anyone hit this before??? Advice???

Thanks in advance.
texas_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #2
texas_snake

Re: HELP! T/A girdle hitting fuel vent line and trunk???

Just talked with TA performance on this. The one I got, TA 1806 is the one that is recommend on their site for our car. But when lowered (I have SR perf springs), it seems 1806B is the better choice since it is super low profile.

After my call, they will update their website to suggest this. As for me. don't want to spend money and install time on this twice. Gonna try making a relief with a bat to bend some space for the gas vent pipe. The pipe is tied to plastic pipe and wont let me relocate it without cutting it and getting creative. If I need to, I will do that if a relief does not work.

I love their products and had not issues with my fox bodies. I guess I need to get creative in this case to keep it. Oh well...

Hopefully this gives a heads up to the next guy. Check with them first, but likely want to buy the 1806B.
texas_snake is offline   Reply With Quote