2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2018, 07:22 AM   #1
AlloyPony

MGW installation and metal in fluid

Last night I finally got a MGW shifter and got the time to install it. At the same time, I changed a leaky tailshaft seal with a new Ford seal, drained the trans, and refilled with 3 quarts of Syncromesh.

I put exactly 3 quarts in. Will that be OK or do I need to add more fluid?

There were traces of metal shavings in the old fluid. The car has 133,000 miles and drives fine. All gears work, and all gears are quiet and do not whine. Other than 3rd gear lockout at high RPM, the trans feels very good. Should I be concerned?

Side note: The MGW shifter with comfort handle is WAY different from stock. This is going to take some getting used to. And I can't imagine using the standard or especially the race handle. This comfort handle is SHORT and the spread between shifts is very small. Feels very odd, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MGW.jpg (78.9 KB, 13 views)