2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 04-04-2017, 04:28 PM   #1
TRbetngu

Rear brakes squeaking-can't find the answer

Guys, this is driving me insane. I've used the searched feature and I think that my problem is a little bit different than the ones I'm seeing.

Basically, I'm getting a squeak from my drivers side rear wheel. It is for fact a metal on metal squeak. It is an absolutely terrible screech and it gets faster as I speed up. Even does it when the car is in reverse and sounds more like a groan than a squeak. COMPLETELY stops when I touch the brakes.

Sure, easy answer, rotors or pads are showing wear. NO. Rotors and pads are both just fine. U joints are fine. Wheel bearing is fine. Wheel itself isn't bent. I am running wheel spacers but that's not the problem because it still squeaks when the rim is off the car.

Am I missing something? Can y'all give me some other areas to search at? Please help!

-P1-SC kit
-Magnaflow Catted X w/ Borla Stingers
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps
-Treated better than my wife
TRbetngu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
32VALVR
Registered Mach Abuser

Re: Rear brakes squeaking-can't find the answer

Are all of your anti rattle clips in place?
Old 04-04-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
littlemags
finally paid for

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRbetngu View Post
Guys, this is driving me insane. I've used the searched feature and I think that my problem is a little bit different than the ones I'm seeing.

Basically, I'm getting a squeak from my drivers side rear wheel. It is for fact a metal on metal squeak. It is an absolutely terrible screech and it gets faster as I speed up. Even does it when the car is in reverse and sounds more like a groan than a squeak. COMPLETELY stops when I touch the brakes.

Sure, easy answer, rotors or pads are showing wear. NO. Rotors and pads are both just fine. U joints are fine. Wheel bearing is fine. Wheel itself isn't bent. I am running wheel spacers but that's not the problem because it still squeaks when the rim is off the car.

Am I missing something? Can y'all give me some other areas to search at? Please help!
check run out on axle flange...Hate to say it BUT that is usually the NUMBER one reason for that problem. Running spacers cause flange flex...
Moser/strange axles (fords) seem to have this issue..
826rwhp/720 trq -100 shot NX
9.13@154 on 100 shot
NEW- in progress...
littlemags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:48 PM   #4
32VALVR
Registered Mach Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemags View Post
check run out on axle flange...Hate to say it BUT that is usually the NUMBER one reason for that problem. Running spacers cause flange flex...
Moser/strange axles (fords) seem to have this issue..
Very good point. When I put my Moser axles on, I got intermittent squeak when my rotors got hot. Turned out to be rotor to caliper contact. I spaced the calipers with a few washers and it went away.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
Wharf Rat

Could be a bent axle, too.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:00 AM   #6
bigtrain

Rear slide pins could be sticking
04-DSG, K&N air intake, bbk 65mm throttle body, SLP loudmouths, pypes x pipe, intake spacer, cobra intake cams,AM short throw shifter, ssbc rotors hawk hps pads,plasti-dip black rims and badges (for now), next mod- suspension
bigtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #7
4a7191a

Ford racing axles had the same problem. Caliper bracket was hitting the rotor. Used washers to space out the bracket a tad and have never had a problem.

2001 svt lightning
2011 Mitsubishi Evo X
1999 F250 7.3L
4a7191a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:02 PM   #8
TRbetngu

I really hope it's as simple as anti-rattle clips or flange flex. Going to be looking at it tonight and will keep you all posted. Thank you so much for all your suggestions.

-P1-SC kit
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps
Old 04-12-2017, 02:50 PM   #9
TRbetngu

Think I have finally fount my issue. Got under the car last night and discovered that the very bottom of the caliper itself was barely scraping on the outer edge of the outside of the rotor. Washers really wouldn't help because they would only bring the caliper in closer to the inside of the car, making the scraping worse, if that makes sense. I believe my only option would be to grind down where it's scraping? I don't really know what else to do.

-P1-SC kit
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps
Old 04-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #10
j rick kirby

You space out the bracket with the washers.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #11
TRbetngu

Quote:
Originally Posted by j rick kirby View Post
You space out the bracket with the washers.
Ohhhhhh okay. I misunderstood the washer placement. I will try that. Thanks brotha.

-P1-SC kit
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps
Old 04-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #12
sutyak
it's soo-tack

Quote:
Ohhhhhh okay. I misunderstood the washer placement. I will try that. Thanks brotha.
See here. http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...&postcount=199
2003 DSG Mach 1. 12.65 @ 106 (sold)
sutyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #13
j rick kirby

Quote:
Being from Missouri I realize that you have to be shown everything! Tee hee hee. I couldn't help it.
HPDE Instructor
Old 04-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #14
TRbetngu

Hate to keep bringing this tread back, but took it apart and tried to finally figure this thing out. The car is my DD so I have limited work time. Whenever I got the caliper off and the pads out, I found that the brake pads were wearing crooked. Not crooked as in long ways crooked. Crooked as in the outer pad is wearing more towards to hub of the car, and the inner pads is wearing more towards the outside of the rotor. So the pads are wearing parallel like this---\|rotor|\. Strange. Also noticed that the pads themselves had chucks if material missing on the outer edges? Looked around and saw that there is a metal nipple on the outside of the inner pad that hits on the caliper piston kind of weird and and even created a crater in the metal of the piston. Grinded that off, grinded the tiny spot where the caliper bracket was rubbing the rotor (trying the washer thing soon, didn't have any d*** washers that fit). Squeak went away for awhile, but came back after the first hard braking.

Obviously, I need new brake pads. But there has to be a reason for the pads wearing in a slant like that.

Anyways, what would the be the reasoning for the brake pads wearing crooked?

-P1-SC kit
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps

Last edited by TRbetngu; 04-17-2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 04-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #15
j rick kirby

Quote:
Hate to keep bringing this tread back, but took it apart and tried to finally figure this thing out. The car is my DD so I have limited work time. Whenever I got the caliper off and the pads out, I found that the brake pads were wearing crooked. Not crooked as in long ways crooked. Crooked as in the outer pad is wearing more towards to hub of the car, and the inner pads is wearing more towards the outside of the rotor. So the pads are wearing parallel like this---\|rotor|\. Strange. Also noticed that the pads themselves had chucks if material missing on the outer edges? Looked around and saw that there is a metal nipple on the outside of the inner pad that hits on the caliper piston kind of weird and and even created a crater in the metal of the piston. Grinded that off, grinded the tiny spot where the caliper bracket was rubbing the rotor (trying the washer thing soon, didn't have any d*** washers that fit). Squeak went away for awhile, but came back after the first hard braking.

Obviously, I need new brake pads. But there has to be a reason for the pads wearing in a slant like that.

Anyways, what would the be the reasoning for the brake pads wearing crooked?
There are slots in the piston that need to be vertical and the tits on the back of the pad fits into those. So get you some new pads, turn piston all the way in and make sure that the slots are vertical to accept the tits on the pad and space your caliper bracket with a thick washer on each mounting pad.
HPDE Instructor
Old 04-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #16
TRbetngu

Quote:
There are slots in the piston that need to be vertical and the tits on the back of the pad fits into those. So get you some new pads, turn piston all the way in and make sure that the slots are vertical to accept the tits on the pad and space your caliper bracket with a thick washer on each mounting pad.
I will be sure to do that, thanks. Also forgot to mention that the anti-rattle clips were NOT installed, those will hopefully come with the new pads as well.

Also saw your post about Missouri, hate you. But for real, thank you for your help!

-P1-SC kit
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps
Old 04-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #17
32VALVR
Registered Mach Abuser

Quote:
I will be sure to do that, thanks. Also forgot to mention that the anti-rattle clips were NOT installed, those will hopefully come with the new pads as well.
This could be a good reason for your uneven wear and squeaking.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #18
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VALVR View Post
The uneven pad wear is caused by the slots and tits not being lined up which makes the pad not parallel to the rotor.
HPDE Instructor
Old 04-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #19
j rick kirby

Quote:

Also saw your post about Missouri, hate you. But for real, thank you for your help!
Without the anti-rattle clips you usually get a clunking when you go from forward to backwards or the other way around but with the slots and tits not being lined up who knows. You have several problems at the same time. Do what I told you and all should be good.
HPDE Instructor
Old 04-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #20
TRbetngu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VALVR View Post
Quote:
The uneven pad wear is caused by the slots and tits not being lined up which makes the pad not parallel to the rotor.
Okay, so good news and bad news. FIXED my squeaking problem. Turns out the anti-rattle clips were the squeaking issue. Crazy, but it's fixed for now.

The bad news, however, is that I don't know how or why the caliper piston was turned so far off to begin with. The holes are supposed to line up with the nipples and when the caliper is on the car the grooves in the piston are at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position, not the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position. Strange, but I can fix that another day. At least the freaking squeak is GONE. Thank you all for your help!

-P1-SC kit
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps
Old 05-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #21
Mach1Junkie

I have the same issue, no spacers but moser axles. My brakes sound half engaged (stoptech calipers) until I get on em. My rotors are wearing the same way you described. This is off topic but my clutch rattles like hell until I engage it then it goes silent I hope that is normal I have an atomic clutch 1k ft/lbs rated.
I hope you figure out what was messing with you. If I find an answer to the abnormal wear I'll pass it along.
Mach1Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:30 PM   #22
32VALVR
Registered Mach Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Junkie View Post
I have the same issue, no spacers but moser axles. My brakes sound half engaged (stoptech calipers) until I get on em. My rotors are wearing the same way you described. This is off topic but my clutch rattles like hell until I engage it then it goes silent I hope that is normal I have an atomic clutch 1k ft/lbs rated.
I hope you figure out what was messing with you. If I find an answer to the abnormal wear I'll pass it along.
Your clutch issue is either a shot throw out bearing or the clutch adjustment is way off. Pull the clutch pedal up and then down, you'll feel a small engagement of the adjuster. You may have to repeat this several times. if no improvement I'd say the throw out bearing is shot.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:49 AM   #23
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Junkie View Post
I've never heard of an atomic clutch but if it's a twin disc setup that is likely the source of your noise.
HPDE Instructor