2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 04-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
AlloyPony

Z26 Powerstop pads wouldn't fit

I bought the Powerstop Z26 Street Warrior brake kits from RockAuto.com. The kits come with new rotors that are drilled/slotted and new carbon ceramic high performance pads.

The front went fine. But the rear didn't. The pads wouldn't fit the calipers. We ended up measuring the width of the frame on the pads with a micrometer and they were 0.017" wider than the stock pads, which was just enough to prevent them from working.

Ended up using a grinding wheel to shave down the "ears" on the pads just a hair so they could be squeezed into the calipers. But now, my OCD is kicking in and I'm concerned that the rear brakes aren't going to wear properly.

Has anybody here run into an issue with aftermarket pads not fitting the rear?

Last edited by AlloyPony; 04-29-2019 at 08:03 AM.
AlloyPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:20 AM   #2
bristol16

Re: Z26 Powerstop pads wouldn't fit

I've had issues with the pads being a little too long for the brackets, almost like they fit perfect when they were unpainted and then the powder coat finish makes them a little too thick. I do what you did and just take them to the grinder just as much as it takes to get them to fit. I'd recommend grease on the contact points and as long as they don't bind in the brackets it won't cause a problem.
bristol16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
AlloyPony

Thanks. I ended up taking the rears back apart to just check and make sure the pads could move and weren't seized up so tight in the calipers that they'd be useless. Gave me peace of mind. Hopefully everything will work OK.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:47 AM   #4
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

many places mix up our rear pads with that of a GT, probably what happened. It's close enough that you swear they should fit but they dont. Many just tell em they have an 03/04 cobra when ordering rear pads

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:47 PM   #5
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
many places mix up our rear pads with that of a GT, probably what happened. It's close enough that you swear they should fit but they dont. Many just tell em they have an 03/04 cobra when ordering rear pads
I don't think he's talking about the thickness of the pad but the length.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:44 AM   #6
AlloyPony

Yes, I didn't realize it but maybe that was confusing. I'm not talking about the thickness of the friction material. I'm talking about the actual width (or length depending on how you're looking at the pad) of the frame of the pad. They were longer than the pads that were in the car, noticeably to the eye. Since the tolerances are so tight, the 0.017" was enough to keep them from working.

Just a heads up....

Otherwise I love the brake kit. $300 total invested and they do stop better and look much better.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #7
mikeracing
MECHANIC

First I have had to grind down pads a little on occasion.
Alot of times you end up with thin layer of rust on each side of the caliper bracket which reduces the area for the pad. I used a flat file to remove this rust keeps the surface square and cleans it up quickly. Just my .02. I have also seen the anti rattle clips come way too thick also
mikeracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:52 PM   #8
USMCWeatherMan

I have the Powerstops...I dont think the Z26 ones, but the slightly cheaper ones. I just installed them last week and man were they a tight fit.

Having more issues with the reman'd caliper i put on during the job, the caliper piston boot was tore up and I figure replacing the caliper was easier and more efficient use of my time than rebuilding the caliper.

Well the dang rotor is grinding bad on the new caliper mounting bracket....so I had to file some of the bracket down to stop it.
USMCWeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #9
blieknight

Any updates, I just ordered the z26 kit front and rear. I hope Powerstop fixed this issue.. has anyone contacted them about this problem.
31 spline with 3:73
Mac Full Exhaust
T-56
blieknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #10
32VALVR
Registered Mach Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
This ^^^. I've had this problem before. We have the same rear calipers only bigger rotors.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:56 AM   #11
USMCWeatherMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VALVR View Post
This ^^^. I've had this problem before. We have the same rear calipers only bigger rotors.
This is probably why I had to grind the sheet out of the caliper mounting bracket on the rem-man'd caliper kit i got from the parts store.

Rookie mistake...should've re-used the original one that came off....but by the time I realized there was an issue first time backing it out of the garage...I had already returned my old one for the core.
USMCWeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:06 PM   #12
AlloyPony

But I ordered them as a full kit. All one box. So if they got the Mach 1 specific parts correct for the front, you'd think they'd do the same for the rear. I'd be surprised if they went out of their way to update the fronts for the larger equipment but then assumed the rear was same as GT.

But, I suppose anything is possible.