2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 10-01-2015, 12:00 AM   #1
Captain Nubcake

The Squeak from Hell

Alright, guys. I have had my car for a year and some change now. Right after I first purchased it, I noticed a very quiet squeak that was in sync with the speed of the car. It was so quiet, I couldn't tell where it was coming from. I checked and the front pads were about half way worn, so what the hell, right? Replaced those. It didn't solve the problem... so I chucked it up to a 11 year old car making a noise, no biggie. I did take note that it went away while applying the brakes.

A few months back, the squeak became very audible and I could start to feel a very slight pulsating, but only while coasting(that is how slight it was). Again, the squeak and pulse are in sync with the car's movement. At this point, I decide it has to be fixed before it ruins something. I determined it was the rear, drivers side wheel making all the noise because if I rolled down my driver's side window, it was much, much louder and if I applied the parking brake a little bit while driving, it would stop the noise.

So first things first, I replace the back pads. They were about half worn. Back plate of the pad was obliterated. I figured that was causing all the noise. So I replace them and make sure to lube up all of the sliding pins and stuff while I'm down there. Pulsating got worse, noise stopped for about a week before the new pads started squeaking too.

I decide that it HAS to be a high spot on my cross-drilled and slotted rotors, so I ordered a new rear pair and put them on. I took note that the boots for the sliding pins were still in great condition. Again, pulsating feeling got even worse and the squeak only went away for about 2 days before getting worse than ever.

Alright, so I did the only thing left I could thing to do. I replaced the rear calipers. I got the semi-loaded or whatever they call it. Lubed everything up really well again.

No dice. 2 weeks has passed, the pulsating never went away and the squeak, which had gone away again, is back and worse than ever. Especially while driving slowly. I also noticed that the wheel that is making the most noise (yes, the most. I have started to hear a very, very faint squeak from the passenger side rear wheel now too...) gets pretty hot to the touch after my 6 mile drive into work. The others don't.

That being said, the last thing I can think to try is an ebrake adjustment. This is the first car I have ever owned that is a stick, so I had never used the ebrake much until I got this vehicle. I did notice, however, that the ebrake does feel pretty tight. As in, one click applies the brake. A second click will hold it on a fairly steep incline and the third click, the car may as well be a boulder. It won't budge.

Does anyone else have any experience with this problem? Anyone have any experience adjusting their parking brake? I have done lots of research on it before posting here and couldn't find anything definitive anywhere aside from having to remove the center console. Some people mentioned an adjustment, but didn't specify exactly where it was and some people claimed there was no adjustment because of the self-adjusting mechanism on it... Any help would be very much appreciated and I apologize for the novel.
Captain Nubcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:28 AM   #2
NastyNate

Re: The Squeak from Hell

Dang that sucks about the squeak! .. Did you install the anti-rattle clips ?
As Far as I know there is no adjusting the ebrake. When you change out the rear brake and screw in the caliper . Then to get the ebrake adjusted you jus have to pull the ebrake up and down a couple times and the ebrake self adjusts.
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:55 AM   #3
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

Make sure the slides on the caliper are well greased and that the place where the calipers do slide are not grooved. Out of round rotors will do this as well, and make sure it's the rears and not the fronts, which was my ongoing issue.

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
311-420
Can't be bridled

After chasing brake noises like you have, I've learned a lesson: if a car has any amount of miles and is needing brake attention, change it all. Fluid, rotors, pads, calipers and anti rattle clips. Brake components have to mate to one another. Replacing one thing after another isn't the best way to do it.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
j rick kirby

There is a tool that is generically known as "chassis ears" that I think you can buy cheap at Harbor Freight. It has alligator clips on the ends of long wires that go to a small amplifier box. You clip the clips where you think the problem might be (bracket, caliper, etc) and you run the wires in thru the window and plug them into the amplifier box. You then plug the supplied headphones into the box. Now go drive around and listen. You can toggle back and forth from the different leads to listen to the chosen locations. Then move the leads/clips around until you find the problem.

I chased a rattle around for over a year to no avail until I got some chassis ears. It tuned out to be a worn bearing in my MM caster/camber plates.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #6
VA-Mach1
Mach & Cheese

The wheel that is getting hot is for sure sticking. It could still be a bad caliper. Check the rear calipers and make sure they have the circular spring on the ebrake lever.

My ebrake handle goes up 5 to 7 clicks I think. More than 3 for sure.
VA-Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
Captain Nubcake

The "chassis ears" is a good idea. I have a couple of rattles and things as I go over bumps that I could diagnose with that as well. I had read some stuff on other forums about adjusting your ebrake(loose ones) by driving backward and pulling up the brake. So this morning while I was out and about, I thought "I have the opposite problem, so I'll go for the opposite solution." While doing about 20mph in my neighborhood, I pulled the ebrake up a few times. It did actually make the lever a little looser and I can pull it up about 6 clicks now. So the ebrake isn't tight anymore, but the squeak persists. Keep in mind that I only drive about 10 miles per day, so all of the brake components were replaced on the rear within 100 miles. I will check the anti-rattle clips because I had never heard of those before, but I did find some pics online.

I'm not *that* concerned about the squeak itself. It has gotten to the point where it is a little embarrassing, but the biggest thing is that I don't want to damage my brand new brake parts and have to buy more. Anywho, thanks for all of the replies! I will try out some of the suggestions and update when/if I find anything...
Old 10-01-2015, 02:48 PM   #8
311-420
Can't be bridled

If you get new anti rattle clips, get the Centric 117.64002 hardware kit from amazon. It's the only one i could find with the rubber insulators to keep the clips snug. The ones without the rubber will fly off. Ask me how I know that...
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #9
TKat13
Mach-T

If you have a rear wheel that is getting hot then I would focus there. After you adjusted your e-brake, does the wheel still get hot?

You will need a helper for this, someone you trust.
Jack up your rear; put two really good jack stands under the rear axle tubes. Have the helper start the car and put it in drive, no need to rev it up; just let it slowly build speed while you look at your wheels spinning, look for any 'wobble' or out of round type of movement. Could be a bent axle.

BTW, when you jack it up, no need to put it sky high, just enough to safely keep the tires from touching. If you have access to a dyno then put it on one and watch the wheel speed, bad wheels/tires/axles really show on a dyno.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #10
01yellerCobra

Have you checked the axle bearings?
2004 Mystichrome Cobra-Accufab SBTB and plenum, Steeda 2.8" upper, Bassani X, Borla Stingers, Mcleod RXT, MGW shifter, Level 5 halfshafts, chrome FR500's, Stiffler's FIT system and DS safety loop, GT pumps, BA3000, tuned by owner
01yellerCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #11
not a gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01yellerCobra View Post
Have you checked the axle bearings?
+1 on bearings
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:51 AM   #12
blownslt

I have had an issue in the past with my our old 03 gt we had. The front caliper was acting up, sticking. Wheel was getting hot, also pulling (prob would not pull on the back). My vote is wheel bearing or caliper..
blownslt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #13
Captain Nubcake

Just a quick update. I haven't had a chance to do any work yet because I work long hours all week and last weekend was rainy. I just wanted to note that I have noticed a couple more things since the last post. One is that(maybe its all in my head) the pulsating feeling I was getting seems to feel like more of an up and down pulsating... which would leave me to think axle. Second is more important because I know it isn't all in my head: the squeak goes away when I take a hard right and put more load on the squeaking wheel and it gets worse when I turn left and take some load off of it. I am starting to believe some of you guys were right in that it is probably an axle or bearing. I've already priced some Moser rear axles, 31 spline, in case that is the problem. Hopefully this weekend I will get the chance to get the rear off of the ground and see if I have a wobble. I'm also ordering that caliper hardware kit off of Amazon that was mentioned. Thanks for the replies!
Old 10-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #14
Captain Nubcake

Actual update: I got my rear end jacked up and on some jack stands. I couldn't get the wheel to rock back and forth with my hands, but it did make a creaking sound when I tried really hard.

Put the car in first gear and that normal squeak that I am used to hearing sounded more like a creak with very slight grinding sound. The driver side rear wheel has a little bit of a wobble to it too. I am guessing the axle is a little tweaked. I personally haven't done any hard launches since I got it, but it is safe to assume the guy before me most likely did since he had all that work done to it.

I have a 3 year, 30,000 extended warranty from Ford on the car, so hopefully it will cover that since I don't think the axle is a normal wear and tear item. I'll make that call tomorrow morning.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:37 AM   #15
Captain Nubcake

And it is in the shop at the dealership. They are putting in an entire axle assymbly. Only $375 after taxes. Thank goodness for a warranty!
Old 10-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #16
not a gt

Good deal, glad it all worked out !!
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote