2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:32 PM   #1
SchwermoRacing

1st '69 Mach1 SJC 4.30 ordered found

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/clas...t5R&ocid=ientp
SchwermoRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:41 AM   #2
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

Re: 1st '69 Mach1 SJC 4.30 ordered found

That is an awesome find, thanks for sharing.

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
SchwermoRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongtho3 View Post
That is an awesome find, thanks for sharing.

Yeah and all this time it was like 2hrs from me.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:05 PM   #4
AlloyPony

Really cool find. I've always said, there's no telling what lurks in old barns around this part of the country. There could be a gold mine sitting just down the road, and we'll never know it.

I grew up around old cars and restorations. My father has done many, from 1969 Camaros to mid-1980s Mustangs to old pickup trucks. My personal feeling is mixed on restorations like this. I've seen guys take cars that are practically ready to be scrapped and restore them, and in my mind those cars are NOT original and are not as valuable anymore. I think there's a certain threshold where you'd consider a car to be original vs. a clone of the original. This car, being in many pieces, having been hacked up, and missing the entire drivetrain....eh... I don't know. I don't know that I'd call it original when he's done.

Having said that, he definitely needs to restore it and I hope to see pictures of it online one day when it's done. Really cool piece of history right there!

Old 01-31-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
SchwermoRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
Really cool find. I've always said, there's no telling what lurks in old barns around this part of the country. There could be a gold mine sitting just down the road, and we'll never know it.

I grew up around old cars and restorations. My father has done many, from 1969 Camaros to mid-1980s Mustangs to old pickup trucks. My personal feeling is mixed on restorations like this. I've seen guys take cars that are practically ready to be scrapped and restore them, and in my mind those cars are NOT original and are not as valuable anymore. I think there's a certain threshold where you'd consider a car to be original vs. a clone of the original. This car, being in many pieces, having been hacked up, and missing the entire drivetrain....eh... I don't know. I don't know that I'd call it original when he's done.

Having said that, he definitely needs to restore it and I hope to see pictures of it online one day when it's done. Really cool piece of history right there!

For me if you can reuse most the original body, engine and tranny then you're fine calling it original as it's mostly there. When you have like barely anything + a block I question it myself.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:17 PM   #6
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

It remind me of a comment about the two recently unearthed Bullitt cars. One is 90% original, the other is 90% not there. I certainly want to see both saved, with the one car untouched from as it is now, and the other saved from a permanent demise with as correct parts as possible.

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:07 PM   #7
SchwermoRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongtho3 View Post
It remind me of a comment about the two recently unearthed Bullitt cars. One is 90% original, the other is 90% not there. I certainly want to see both saved, with the one car untouched from as it is now, and the other saved from a permanent demise with as correct parts as possible.

The Hero car is being kept as original as possible. The Mexico car is being restored to I believe period/movie correct.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:07 AM   #8
AlloyPony

Yeah, the hero car from Bullitt, sold to a private owner and then daily driven and beaten on with a family daily for years. This very first Mach 1, discovered in Pennsylvania in a hundred pieces with hacked up panels and no drivetrain. The first two Pontiac Firebirds ever built, found in a barn in Connecticut in pieces with the engines out of them. You hear stories like this and think how could this happen? It just goes to show you how back in the 60s and 70s nobody knew that those cars would be worth the kind of money that they are today. My father has said many times, "If we'd known that, we'd have stocked barns full of them."
Old 02-01-2018, 09:42 AM   #9
SchwermoRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlloyPony View Post
Yeah, the hero car from Bullitt, sold to a private owner and then daily driven and beaten on with a family daily for years. This very first Mach 1, discovered in Pennsylvania in a hundred pieces with hacked up panels and no drivetrain. The first two Pontiac Firebirds ever built, found in a barn in Connecticut in pieces with the engines out of them. You hear stories like this and think how could this happen? It just goes to show you how back in the 60s and 70s nobody knew that those cars would be worth the kind of money that they are today. My father has said many times, "If we'd known that, we'd have stocked barns full of them."
Yeah my dad had a 70 SS El Camino, and a 69 Camaro SS/RS pace car. My grand father had a 1st year MOnte Carlo SS. Uncle had a 70(maybe it was a 71) Mach1. Lot of nice muscle went though my family. My aunt had a Camaro, I'm sure i'm forgetting a few other cars they had.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
JDraper
On Permanant Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwermoRacing View Post
Yeah and all this time it was like 2hrs from me.

About an hour and a half from me...Love to have found that...
18 Ford Explorer XLT
17 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
16 Fusion SE AWD Ecoboost
10 Fusion SE V6
66 289 Mustang Hardtop Restomod
JDraper is offline   Reply With Quote