2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:03 AM   #2401
G
Undocumented Member

Re: NASCAR thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMACH1 View Post
I was at the race today - pretty good action while it lasted. Got to parking at 8:30am with a group of 15, had "several" adult beverages and worried about the rain all day. Would have been nice to see the usual banzai sprint to the finish.
I had a chance to go but my dad couldn't make it this year so I worked on the hot rod and watched it on the tube.

Next year I think we're all going and it will be my youngest son's first BIG race. Unless we hit Talladega or Atlanta this year.
1933 Ford 3W Coupe (4.6 dohc Stack Injection)
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
2014 Mustang GT (Track Pack) in Black
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:13 AM   #2402
gbranton
Speaking Cherry Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Those 7 Daytona 500 wins were all against losers I guess.
I didn't say he wasn't good, just not the best ever.

Quote:
He also didn't have to deal with Curtis Turner and Tim Flock because of bans.
I read a pretty good book about Curtis Turner recently, called "Full Throttle" by Robert Edelstein. He was a heck of a racer who made the mistake of crossing Big Bill France. Recommended reading.

Quote:
What you miss is that ALL of those guys raced 4 times a week sometimes. Richard Petty, contrary to looking for easy wins was more interested in $$$$.
I didn't miss that all the drivers participated in more races then, but a few of his contemporaries had a higher winning percentage than Petty during that period.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:19 AM   #2403
02mach1
Cofounder in Memoriam 1967-2012

More important Ford won 500 not Chevy.
VIN#1FAFP42R83F366627
production 12/2/02-
Build 12/6/02
Delivered home 12/16/02

Founder of Intl.SN95LMMOCR for all 79-05 Mustangs 1st Late Model Mustang Club since 1993
C/O Founder of Mach1 Registry
AIM Shows
MCA #29082,MCA Judge for 79-04 Mustangs
www.mustang.org
MACH1REGISTRY Member#2

Here's pics of my Mach1
http://mach1registry.org/photopost/d...mach2.JPG?6804
02mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:15 AM   #2404
birdman941
Torque wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02mach1 View Post

5.4 32V NA
Streetable 404/387 26.56 MPG

"I don't like repeat offenders,
I like DEAD offenders" Ted Nugent

"A big engine hardly working is more efficient
than a little engine screaming its head off" Jay Leno
birdman941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:45 AM   #2405
kiler be

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02mach1 View Post
+1
75 Maverick 6cyl, auto ( Mean Machine )
kiler be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #2406
02mach1

The year of Black and Gold STEELERS now Matt #17
Attached Thumbnails
daytoa500.jpg   010fuson.jpg  
VIN#1FAFP42R83F366627
production 12/2/02-
Build 12/6/02
Delivered home 12/16/02

Founder of Intl.SN95LMMOCR for all 79-05 Mustangs 1st Late Model Mustang Club since 1993
AIM Shows
www.mustang.org
MACH1REGISTRY Member#2

Here's pics of my Mach1
Old 02-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #2407
G
Undocumented Member

It's neat they won but better news that they were actually running well. I don't think Jack will get his wish that it will sell cars this week. You can't get cars anything like the racers in the showroom anymore.
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
Old 02-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #2408
Krashdavus

Most importantly, a Toyota (engine) didn't win. These cars all look alike with the only differenitation being the purpose built engines, and decals denoting headlamps, tail-lamps, and manufacturer.

It's a spec series that's over-regulated and bascially a joke.

Can wait to see showroom stock Camaros, Mustangs, and Challengers take to the track in the near future.
Krashdavus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #2409
gvervoren
Garry Vervoren

I read an article comparing people like Jimmie Johnson to Richard Petty. They say that Jimmie could be even better (competitive wise)then Petty. Before you jump the gun, they did make 1 good point on which I agree with. Back when Petty was wining all of his races, there were only a handful (under 10) teams that actully were competitive enough to even win a race. Therefore, his chances of winning were much greater then any driver has nowadays. If Petty raced in NASCAR now instead of back then, He would be no where close to 200 wins. He might have 50. Now I'm not saying that Petty wasn't any good cause he was, it's just not fair to compare how many wins and championships a driver had back then compared to the drivers and teams racing now.

2004 Dark Shadow Grey ORIGINAL OWNER!!!!

I USED TO THINK BEING LAZY WAS BAD FOR ME SO I GAVE UP THINKING.

HOOFBEATS ARE LOUDER THAN HEARTBEATS

5 Speed, IUP, Tinted windows, 3rd brake light decal, Sequential Tail Lights, Smoked Tail Lights, Black Stainless Steel Bumper Inserts, Anthracite 18" staggard FR500
Build Date 10/08/2003
#567 of a build of 7182
gvervoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #2410
gvervoren
Garry Vervoren

A good read about Dale Jr.

Cover your ears Junior Nation, the myth that is Dale Earnhardt Jr. is about to be exposed as just that - a myth.

It’s about time the vast legions of Earnhardt fans finally wake up and realize that being NASCAR’s most popular driver does not equal being the best. Or even worth being mentioned in the same breath as the best.

The only thing Earnhardt leads the field in is merchandise sales. He most certainly does not win on the track, as his one victory (thanks to fuel mileage at Michigan last season) over the past 99 races can attest.

For those keeping score, NASCAR’s favorite son has a mere three wins since 2004.

Maybe the pressure of living up to his father’s legacy is becoming too much for Junior to bear.

Or maybe the weight of all the expectations heaped upon his shoulders to finally break through and win a championship has finally cracked him at the ripe old age of 34.

One thing is for sure - Earnhardt certainly is not improving with age.

Despite vastly upgrading his equipment by leaving his daddy’s team to become a member of the Hendrick Motorsports juggernaut, Earnhardt continues to spin his wheels.

Sunday’s season-opening Daytona 500 was supposed to be Earnhardt’s time to shine. This was supposed to be the year he finally focused and got down to business of being a serious title contender in Season Two with Hendrick.

Instead Earnhardt made news at the “Great American Race” for all the wrong reasons.

Let’s be real folks, before we can tout the Golden Boy as a contender for the Sprint Cup, first he needs to master the all-too important art of pitting.

During Thursday’s second Gatorade Duel, Earnhardt slid through his pit stall on two separate occasions, costing him valuable spots on the track.

One would think that flaw would have been corrected in time for the most important race of the season.

Not even close.

Earnhardt completely missed his pit box on lap 57 - he drove right past it - and had to complete a full circuit before pitting again. That little snafu dropped him from third to 36th.

Almost comically, Earnhardt again had trouble in the pits on lap 121. This time his right-front tire was on the line while his team worked on the car, and he was penalized one lap.

“We had a pit stop where I was told the right-front tire was only an inch over the line,” Earnhardt said. “I was held a lap for that and I don’t feel like that was a fair trade. Maybe it’s time to re-evaluate that rule.”

Listen up NASCAR - your favorite son wants the rules fixed. Maybe all the rules could be changed in Junior’s favor if it means getting him closer to being a champion.

Perhaps overly amped up over his second embarrassment on pit road, Earnhardt took matters into his own hands on the track. A lap down because of his lack of pitting ability, Earnhardt touched off the biggest wreck of the race.

On lap 124, Earnhardt got a run on Brian Vickers on the inside lane near the front of the pack, but Vickers blocked Earnhardt’s car down below the yellow out-of-bounds line.

That was all on Vickers. How dare he not simply move aside and let royalty pass?

When Earnhardt came back above the yellow line, he clipped - purposely or not, depending on whether you are a member of Junior Nation - the left-rear corner of Vickers’ Toyota, setting off a 10-car crash.

Forget all the talk off NASCAR potentially penalizing Earnhardt for rough driving, like when they sat Jason Leffler for five laps after wrecking Steven Wallace during Saturday’s Nationwide race.

You would get better odds of Earnhardt making a clean pit stop over NASCAR slapping its first son on the wrist.

Of course, Earnhardt, like the coddled superstar he is, pointed the blame everywhere else but him.

“Penalize me? For what? I got run into and sent below the line,” said Earnhardt, who wound up 27th. “I don’t want to go down there, I didn’t aim to go down there, I got sent down there.”

When told Vickers blamed him for the wreck, Junior lashed out.

“Tell Vickers if he wants to meet me in the garage to get his (butt) beat, I’m willing,” Earnhardt told his crew via radio during a caution period he caused.

The beatdown never took place.

Too bad for Junior Nation. That might have been the only chance to see their beloved driver beat anybody this year

5 Speed, IUP, Tinted windows, 3rd brake light decal, Sequential Tail Lights, Smoked Tail Lights, Black Stainless Steel Bumper Inserts, Anthracite 18" staggard FR500
Build Date 10/08/2003
#567 of a build of 7182
Old 02-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #2411
birdman941
Torque wins!

I never liked Sr.
There should be a penalty for blocking on the restricted tracks.
The whole reason for the yellow line rule,
is because of Jeff Gordon passing Rusty Wallace (leading) BELOW the line,
and Rusty had to back off
or Gordon would have crashed into Ricky Rudd,
who was limping out of the pits from an earlier wreck.
It cost Rusty the race.
In reality, it was Bush's fault.

5.4 32V NA

Old 02-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #2412
gbranton
Speaking Cherry Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvervoren View Post
Too bad for Junior Nation. That might have been the only chance to see their beloved driver beat anybody this year

Not if he fights like he drives.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #2413
G
Undocumented Member

Quote:
I read an article comparing people like Jimmie Johnson to Richard Petty. They say that Jimmie could be even better (competitive wise)then Petty. Before you jump the gun, they did make 1 good point on which I agree with. Back when Petty was wining all of his races, there were only a handful (under 10) teams that actully were competitive enough to even win a race. Therefore, his chances of winning were much greater then any driver has nowadays. If Petty raced in NASCAR now instead of back then, He would be no where close to 200 wins. He might have 50. Now I'm not saying that Petty wasn't any good cause he was, it's just not fair to compare how many wins and championships a driver had back then compared to the drivers and teams racing now.
You can make the stats say whatever you want, he still has 200 undisputed wins. Reference the 10 teams back in the day theory - all of the points races in the 2008 season were split between 6 teams.

Roush
Gibbs
RCR
Hendrick
Penske
Evernham/whoever

I'm no Petty fan but the guy is tough as chicken lips. Imagine driving those nearly STOCK cars with bias ply tires, before inner liners, and with no power steering. Think about how dangerous it was racing with an open-face helmet in your shirt sleeves and NO FREAKING fuel cells. Think about starting a race with over 50 cars. Try to consider for a second that relief drivers were normal business and most drivers needed o2 when they crawled out of the car.

It's also silly to think Petty always had a superior car, he did not. When it was a superior car it was because a team of redneck mechanics built a better car, not some team of engineers armed with chassis dyno's.

What's next are we going to attack the records of great drivers like Ray Hendrick, Richie Evans, and Joe Weatherly. I'm certain there had to be a Jeffy Gordon equivalent back in Richard Petty's prime and he got his butt kicked by the legends of that day. Today the cars are all out racing machines and require a technically advanced driver, perhaps Pearson and Petty would be out classed today. Or not?????
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
Old 02-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #2414
G
Undocumented Member

Quote:
A good read about Dale Jr.

Cover your ears Junior Nation, the myth that is Dale Earnhardt Jr. is about to be exposed as just that - a myth.

.........................................Of course, Earnhardt, like the coddled superstar he is, pointed the blame everywhere else but him.

“Penalize me? For what? I got run into and sent below the line,” said Earnhardt, who wound up 27th. “I don’t want to go down there, I didn’t aim to go down there, I got sent down there.”

When told Vickers blamed him for the wreck, Junior lashed out.

“Tell Vickers if he wants to meet me in the garage to get his (butt) beat, I’m willing,” Earnhardt told his crew via radio during a caution period he caused.

The beatdown never took place.

That could all be true but he's still rich, famous, and loved by the fans. Just think of how he would be treated if he was perfect like Jeffy and Jimmie. He would be obama like and allowed to be the CEO of NASCAR while being an active driver.

He clearly overdrove the car and blew it totally in the pits trying as hard as he could to win. If I was hiring a driver that's exactly the attitude I would want. With that said, I would hire Martin, Biffle, or Burton in that order.
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
Old 02-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #2415
gvervoren
Garry Vervoren

That's all Jr. has going for him right now. He is a good driver but he isn't really doing anything impressive like his dad did. It's just funny how Jr. Nation thinks he is the best thing for NASCAR when statistics show, he is not. All he does for NASCAR is bring in more fans and money to the sport. And that's just because of his name.

Build Date 10/08/2003
#567 of a build of 7182
Old 02-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #2416
gvervoren
Garry Vervoren

Quote:
You can make the stats say whatever you want, he still has 200 undisputed wins. Reference the 10 teams back in the day theory - all of the points races in the 2008 season were split between 6 teams.

Roush
Gibbs
RCR
Hendrick
Penske
Evernham/whoever
I agree that Petty was a d@mn good driver and did more then most people could but the under 10 teams reference was not of the team owners but individual teams. For instance Roush has 5 competitive teams just by itself. I'm trying to find this article I'm talking about but it's been quite a while since I read it. I'm pretty sure it was on Jayskis.com

Build Date 10/08/2003
#567 of a build of 7182
Old 02-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #2417
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, just start the friggin' race already!!! This is the second week in a row that I go to the Nascar site to find the starting time and over 1 hour later the race finally starts.

I'm livin' the Office Space dream. I'm retired, and sit on my azz and do nothing.

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #2418
birdman941
Torque wins!

Let me guess, they were busy kissing Toiletta's azz.
But why are there empty seats and low ratings?

5.4 32V NA

Old 02-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #2419
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

I actually caught the last 50 laps of the Nationwide series race yesterday and when they showed the grandstands I bet their could'nt have been 5,000 fans in the entire place. I've never seen anything like that before. Was that a Cobalt that was the Pace Car yesterday? Looked ricey.

I'm livin' the Office Space dream. I'm retired, and sit on my azz and do nothing.

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Old 02-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #2420
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

Congrats to Matt on a second-in-a-row win!!! The Biff had an awesome car, but that bad pit stop really hurt him, and kept him from a second or third.
I do have to say that JG ran a very hard and clean race and deserved his second.

On last nights N'Wide race, the two things I'll remember most are MW ending up backwards in his pit stall and the car (I don't rmember who it was) catching serious fire later in the race. It's reminder that this is still a dangerous sport.

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #2421
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

Uh-oh. They're probably gonna think about changing the points system again because Kenseth is doing too good.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #2422
02mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
Uh-oh. They're probably gonna think about changing the points system again because Kenseth is doing too good.
Ford won again Chevy guys starting cry again
VIN#1FAFP42R83F366627
production 12/2/02-
Build 12/6/02
Delivered home 12/16/02

AIM Shows
www.mustang.org
MACH1REGISTRY Member#2

Here's pics of my Mach1
Old 02-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #2423
birdman941
Torque wins!

I would like to see a clandestine agreement between owners of
AMERICAN race teams refuse to help, draft or assist the Jap teams
in any way whatsoever.
OOPS!
Clipped your front fender MR. Jap car driver!
OOPS!
I blocked in that Jap car team in the pits.
Maybe Darrel "treasonous" Waltrip will lose his Jap car azz kissing voice.

5.4 32V NA

Old 02-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #2424
02mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman941 View Post
I would like to see a clandestine agreement between owners of
AMERICAN race teams refuse to help, draft or assist the Jap teams
in any way whatsoever.
OOPS!
Clipped your front fender MR. Jap car driver!
OOPS!
I blocked in that Jap car team in the pits.
Maybe Darrel "treasonous" Waltrip will lose his Jap car azz kissing voice.
I agree DW can't say Ford or chevy he call it a Car
VIN#1FAFP42R83F366627
production 12/2/02-
Build 12/6/02
Delivered home 12/16/02

AIM Shows
www.mustang.org
MACH1REGISTRY Member#2

Here's pics of my Mach1
Old 02-23-2009, 09:25 PM   #2425
gvervoren
Garry Vervoren

Way to go Kenseth!!! Not a bad run for his crew chief Blinkensderfer either. He's batting 1000 right now.

Build Date 10/08/2003
#567 of a build of 7182