2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

View Poll Results: Ask a Police Officer Htread - Good Idea?
Yes, good idea 54 60.67%
No way...scrap it 2 2.25%
let's try it and see how it goes 24 26.97%
What do I care. Where is the Procharger thread? 9 10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2007, 12:18 AM   #626
TheOneThatLasts

Re: Ask A Police Officer

Heh just posting to see what other cops might say. My friend was caught speeding yet again. But did not receive a ticket this time. He normally went the nervous try and make up an excuse route, but this time realized its uselessness. So he was doing something along the lines of "a fair scoot" and the red and blues appeared. He didn't know his actual speed, but from his smile... yeah. So the officer walked up to the window and said: "Well I have been waiting for someone like you aaalllll day." My friend, tired of making up useless excuses, said "Well I got here as fast as I could!" He said the officer started laughing so hard he had to hold onto the car to steady himself. The two apparently talked for 20 minutes about cars and he got a warning. Whadya know, cops are people too J/K
Just thought this was interesting.
TheOneThatLasts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:50 AM   #627
streakn
Day by day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneThatLasts View Post
Heh just posting to see what other cops might say. My friend was caught speeding yet again. But did not receive a ticket this time. He normally went the nervous try and make up an excuse route, but this time realized its uselessness. So he was doing something along the lines of "a fair scoot" and the red and blues appeared. He didn't know his actual speed, but from his smile... yeah. So the officer walked up to the window and said: "Well I have been waiting for someone like you aaalllll day." My friend, tired of making up useless excuses, said "Well I got here as fast as I could!" He said the officer started laughing so hard he had to hold onto the car to steady himself. The two apparently talked for 20 minutes about cars and he got a warning. Whadya know, cops are people too J/K
Just thought this was interesting.
Nice one. LOL
streakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:20 PM   #628
TheOneThatLasts

Any of you guys got some good prank story's?
TheOneThatLasts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:38 AM   #629
Black Mach 1
32V Powered

Question for LEOs Out there (Illinois State Police Related)

I was pulled over this morning in my '97 Toyota Avalon (daily driver) at about 3 AM CST by an Illinois State Trooper.

He paced my blind spot on the left side of my vehicle for 1-2 minutes before pulling me over.

My cruise control had been set on 65 MPH ever since I entered the interstate.

He swung in behind me and turned his lights on. After I had stopped, turned on my dome light, and placed both hands on the steering wheel, he walked up to my windows and asked me, "Was that your white vehicle that I clocked at 78 MPH back there or was that the white Explorer further ahead?"

I stated, "It wasn't my vehicle because I've had my cruise control set at 65 MPH."

I was annoyed with the entire situation since he wasted my time. We then exchanged small talk about where I was coming from and where I was headed.

He then said, "Alright, we'll go get him. Please be careful moving back onto the roadway."

He ended up flying by me after I had entered the road and soon stopped at the next U-turn section of the interstate to talk to another Trooper. It looks like he must've given up on catching the "Explorer" that he mentioned.

I had my phone in hand after he drove off ready to file a complaint with his department, but I held off since I didn't feel like talking to anyone.

My question is this:

Is pulling over vehicles and asking them if they have the correct car in regards to speeding common practice? It seems as though if one of your main responsibilities is stopping speeders, you'd pull over the correct vehicle.

Last edited by Black Mach 1; 04-09-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Black Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:28 AM   #630
Low Drag

My honest answer based only on your account of events is that unless I know for sure I wouldn't have made the stop. My rule of thumb is that if there is any doubt in my mind about what I saw the person gets a pass.

The only other thing I can say is that based on some of the questions he asked and conversation not related to the speeding violation, there may have been more going on with the stop than you think. It's entirely possible that something happened in the area and your vehicle matched one they were looking for. From talking with you he ruled that out and let you go on your way. It's hard to say without being there in the car with him when things happened.
Low Drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:36 AM   #631
Black Mach 1
32V Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Drag View Post
My honest answer based only on your account of events is that unless I know for sure I wouldn't have made the stop. My rule of thumb is that if there is any doubt in my mind about what I saw the person gets a pass.

The only other thing I can say is that based on some of the questions he asked and conversation not related to the speeding violation, there may have been more going on with the stop than you think. It's entirely possible that something happened in the area and your vehicle matched one they were looking for. From talking with you he ruled that out and let you go on your way. It's hard to say without being there in the car with him when things happened.
It was an interesting situation since he came up on us hard in the left lane and then just rode my blind spot for a couple minutes.

He never actually asked where I was coming from or where I was headed. I openly told him I was coming from a concert in Chicago and headed back home. He never asked for my driver's license or any other information.

The only thing he asked me is if the concert I went to was good or not.

Regardless, I think we all know why he stopped us.

He saw a car with 4 younger guys in it (ages 22-24) on the interstate at 3 AM and wanted to investigate it to see if he could find anything fishy. I appreciate that since I'm sure they catch quite a few law-breakers that way, but I was annoyed with him causing a delay in my already tiring evening.

In the end, he did the right thing by keeping things brief and letting us go without further, unnecessary questioning. I just felt the entire thing was uncalled for.

Low Drag: Do you work for the state, county, or local Police?
Old 04-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #632
VANILLAMACHSHAKE
VANILLA MACHSHAKE

I have a question! Who Police's the Police? I ask this because I see officers leaving the county jail house daily around 5:30am, when they hit I4 east bound they are hauyling a$$. Just seems to me they can do most anything they want!
1 of 814/164
magnapack/K&N drop in
67 FB 2+2 R.I.P.
VANILLAMACHSHAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:08 PM   #633
Mustanger2

wouldn't you if you could? I sure would...one of the perks of the job...but I bet they are not supposed to.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:55 PM   #634
Aftermathranger
Giggity...

Whats up guys...i'm new to the registry and hate to have to make this my first post... but due to unforseen circumstances (my bad driving) i have to ask this question...

A week or so back i was cited for going 31 over the limit (76 in a 45) and failure to signal a lane change. The 31 over was due to me speeding up to avoid a tractor on a 3 way city road (so much construction around where i live), and had no clue i was going so fast (that was the cars fault). I was stopped almost 3 miles down the interstate (i made the manuver approx 1/2 mile from an onramp to I95), and the officer asked me if i knew why he stopped me, I told him that i was unsure. He then asked me do i know how fast i was going, i told him between 75-80, and he told me yeah thats right (he was referring to the point in the 45 mph zone not the highway speed which is what i though he pulled me over for)..Anywhoo...The officer made it perfectly clear after writing the citations, that the speeding and lane change infraction did not occur at the same time, one was on a 3 lane city road, and the failure to signal lane change was during the stop (but he wrote on the citation that is occured on the city road)...and then finally, at the end of the long list of tickets, he presented me with a reckless driving ticket as well for what he says is a result of the other two citations at once.

So my real questions are as follows...

1-Is this a reasonable cause for a reckless driving citation? After reading the statutes, this doesn't seem like it would hold water in court...based on willful and wanton disregard for safty of others (like DUI, evading, etc...)

2-Why would the officer take so long to pull me over and then not make it clear that the offense was from 3 miles back?

3-Does this seem weird to you at all that it was perfectly 31 over, he never stated to me that he caught me on radar until he presented me the citation, nor cited the location of the incident...did he just hate the azure blue?

Thanks in advance for your help...i should also add that im 25 and have no points on my record, only a few speeding tickets from my late teens that i was found not guilty on. I'm just fearful of this court date i have to attend...i feel like a perp.
Aftermathranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:03 AM   #635
MvCrash
Where is Hooterville?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHSNELL03 View Post
I have a question! Who Police's the Police? I ask this because I see officers leaving the county jail house daily around 5:30am, when they hit I4 east bound they are hauyling a$$. Just seems to me they can do most anything they want!
Stay outa the way is your best bet. How do you know where they are going?
Adopted 12/18/2004
SOLD 7/17/06

2007 Corvette Convertible
Born 7/17/06
Delivery@NCM 8/24/06
" There are only two things that are infinite, the Universe and Human Stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe." Albert Einstein
" Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new"Albert Eintein.
" It is better to have loved and lost, than never have seen lost in space" Kelly Bundy
MvCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:05 AM   #636
MvCrash
Where is Hooterville?

Re: Question for LEOs Out there (Illinois State Police Related)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mach 1 View Post
I was pulled over this morning in my '97 Toyota Avalon (daily driver) at about 3 AM CST by an Illinois State Trooper.

He paced my blind spot on the left side of my vehicle for 1-2 minutes before pulling me over.

My cruise control had been set on 65 MPH ever since I entered the interstate.

He swung in behind me and turned his lights on. After I had stopped, turned on my dome light, and placed both hands on the steering wheel, he walked up to my windows and asked me, "Was that your white vehicle that I clocked at 78 MPH back there or was that the white Explorer further ahead?"

I stated, "It wasn't my vehicle because I've had my cruise control set at 65 MPH."

I was annoyed with the entire situation since he wasted my time. We then exchanged small talk about where I was coming from and where I was headed.

He then said, "Alright, we'll go get him. Please be careful moving back onto the roadway."

He ended up flying by me after I had entered the road and soon stopped at the next U-turn section of the interstate to talk to another Trooper. It looks like he must've given up on catching the "Explorer" that he mentioned.

I had my phone in hand after he drove off ready to file a complaint with his department, but I held off since I didn't feel like talking to anyone.

My question is this:

Is pulling over vehicles and asking them if they have the correct car in regards to speeding common practice? It seems as though if one of your main responsibilities is stopping speeders, you'd pull over the correct vehicle.
I don't think you have a beef here. Better he asked than just gave you a summons which would have been a mistake. On the other hand you could have been writing onhere that you got a summons for nothing!!!

Peace!!
Adopted 12/18/2004
SOLD 7/17/06

2007 Corvette Convertible
Born 7/17/06
Delivery@NCM 8/24/06
" There are only two things that are infinite, the Universe and Human Stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe." Albert Einstein
" Anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new"Albert Eintein.
" It is better to have loved and lost, than never have seen lost in space" Kelly Bundy
MvCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:15 PM   #637
mach1 03

I have looked every were but I cant find any laws a bought nitrous. I live in Maryland so I don’t know if it would be deferent for me or if there is a universal law.
I want to put it on butt I don’t want to get polled over and get a big fine or worse have to have it inspected again.
mach1 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #638
IMachU
Super Moderator

In Calif, we can have nitrous IF it's CARB approved. Most kits are, so you're OK. Just don't use it on the street for racing. Save that for the track.

2003 DSG 5 speed IUP Born June 25, 2003
K&N Drop-in Filter, Magnapack Catback, MRT black chrome tips, MRT shifter
277.1 HP (321.4) 296.4 (343.8) TQ SAE (with 16% powertrain loss calculated, before mods), Sirius satellite radio, MGW black on black locking Bullitt fuel door, MGW goodies - sold on 7-19-07
IMachU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:08 PM   #639
04VAMach1

It seems like you can have it, but it must be inoperable on the street...meaning that the lines are disconnected or bottle removed.

§ 22-404.5. Power booster systems prohibited; exceptions.

(a) "Power booster system" defined.- In this section, "power booster system" means any device installed in a motor vehicle which allows liquid nitrous oxide to combine with gasoline for the purpose of increasing engine power.

(b) Use prohibited.- Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a person may not operate on a highway a motor vehicle equipped with a power booster system.

(c) Exceptions.- A person may operate on a highway a motor vehicle equipped with a power booster if:

(1) The vehicle is enroute to or from a track where the vehicle is used for racing and the power booster system is inoperative; or

(2) The container of nitrous oxide has been removed from the vehicle.

(d) Identification decal.- Every motor vehicle equipped with a power booster system shall be identified with a decal that:

(1) Is a diamond shaped design consisting of the words "Compressed Gas D.O.T. No. 1070" in silver scotchlite letters 1 inch high on a black background with a silver scotchlite border;

(2) Is issued by the Office of the Fire Marshal or from a nitrous oxide industry source; and

(3) Is attached to the left front and right rear bumper of the vehicle.

(e) Regulations authorized.- The Office of the Fire Marshal may adopt regulations necessary to carry out the provisions of this section.

(f) Fee for decal.- The Office of the Fire Marshal or nitrous oxide industry source that issues the vehicle identification decal may charge a fee for the issuance of a vehicle identification decal not to exceed the reasonable cost of preparation and distribution.
04VAMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:32 PM   #640
IMachU
Super Moderator

Whoa. Man, you guys have it tougher than Calif does!

277.1 HP (321.4) 296.4 (343.8) TQ SAE (with 16% powertrain loss calculated, before mods), Sirius satellite radio, MGW black on black locking Bullitt fuel door, MGW goodies - sold on 7-19-07
Old 04-17-2007, 12:36 PM   #641
Aftermathranger
Giggity...

I wanted to follow up to my first post about my reckless driving charge in case others find this resource through the search engine...

I went to court today and pled guilty to the charge with explaination. The judge took into account my previous driving history and my absence of criminal charges and withheld the guilty plea ...she sentenced me to a fine, driving improvement course, and 6 months probation. She also dismissed the other two citiaions which were speeding and failure to signal a lane change. Overall i am pleased with this agreement.

So the final verdict

Guilty plea with a withholding of adjudication of guilt
No Points on my license
No criminal record
Dismissal of the speeding and failure to signal a turn
Fine of 250.00 plus a court fee of 208.00 plus some small other fees totalling 445.00 which i am set up to pay over a six month period
6 months probate with a 55 dollar a month fee
4 hour driver improvement course

What i learned and others can from this case...please take this into account if you are accused of such crimes...

This type of offense i committed was stupid, wrong, and i was guilty of it no matter the circumstances, i was in denial about it at first, but the facts are the facts, if you gave every person a pardon based on circumstance, the law would be a total mess...i know this happens in some widely publish and produced court cases, but Judge Judy is not real life. You are better off to admit guilt on a first time offense and face the judge like a man or woman, admit your mistakes, state that you learned your lesson, and ask for a reduced sentence. Your record follows you around state to state and that can be your life raft or the torpedo that sinks the ship. I watched numerous others go infront of the judge and some were first time offenders and were offered mercy, others were sentenced according to their previous history, some which were VERY disturbing. I dont want to be in that situation again and will not be, period.

A GREAT source i found in my long nights of agony over this was

www.laborlawtalk.com

a great forum with legal advice over many different types of law...i would recomend it to all...immediate responses, knowledgable people, and no BS.

Greg
Aftermathranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #642
01TruBluGT

OK a new one for me.

I was stopped at a red light in the turning lane. Light went green and I made the turn. It was a left hand turn and on the right side of the turn there was a gas station. A local SHerrif was pumping gas into his car as I went through the turn. I was in the Mach and rode 1st gear through the turn so I know it was the exhaust that cought his attention. Anyways I was about 8-10 blocks away and I see the lights come on in my rear view. He pulls me over and tells me I was speeding which I was not aware of and in all honsty I was not speeding.

Signed the ticket, took my copy and drove off. I looked at it a little while later and noticed something very odd.

There was no speed written down, no laser/rader #, no pacing nothing. In otherwords to me atleast it basicly reads that he "thinks" I was speeding without having anything to back that up.

I have to go to court next month and I am wondering how I should approach this.

I know LEO's by nature of dealing with this all the time have a somewhat better visual refrence as to what speeding looks like, but honestly without some form of radar, laser, or pacing what proof does he have other than what he thinks?

Realisticly speaking police cars, radar, and laser units all have to have regular calibrations to insure accuracy. If they have to go through that then how would a judge be able to find me guilty based on what someone saw considering their eyes were never calibrated to determine speed?
01TruBluGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:59 AM   #643
LNCHBOX

I have a question: how do I get cited for drag racing when a) I wasn't full throttle, b) I didn't break the speed limit, and c) there was NO ONE next to me. I already know the answer, it's because my car is loud and I'm 22. If I recall from grammar school a race is a competition in which there is a winner and a loser... apparently I was the loser. Seriously though, why would I not get cited for wreckless?
LNCHBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:07 AM   #644
IMachU
Super Moderator

I'm at a loss as well, since I didn't see what the officer did. However, go to court and explain your side of the story. Couldn't hurt.

Maybe the reckless ticket is a heavier fine than the racing one. in Calif, they are the same, so it may vary in your state.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:42 AM   #645
Black Mach 1
32V Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNCHBOX View Post
I have a question: how do I get cited for drag racing when a) I wasn't full throttle, b) I didn't break the speed limit, and c) there was NO ONE next to me. I already know the answer, it's because my car is loud and I'm 22. If I recall from grammar school a race is a competition in which there is a winner and a loser... apparently I was the loser. Seriously though, why would I not get cited for wreckless?
A) It doesn't matter if you're full throttle or not.
B) Just because you're under the speed limit doesn't mean you're not racing or exhibiting excessive acceleration. Most races on the street start from a stop; that means that the race takes place for a period of time while both vehicles are under the posted speed limit.
C) No one has to be next to you to be cited. A drag racing ticket is the same as an exhibition of speed ticket to the best of my knowledge. It doesn't mean that a car has to be next to you for it to be an exhibition of speed. One car would probably pull ahead or fall behind the other during a race, but that doesn't mean that the car ahead or behind isn't racing anymore since it isn't next to the other vehicle.

I'm not busting your balls so don't get that impression.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:19 AM   #646
ftctoolftc
SCS Bay Area Super Hero

Ok, I'm on Highway 4 in Northern California heading up to Bear Valley Ski Resort. Basically, it's a two-lane highway with a posted speed of 55. The CHP is going the opposite direction on the highway and right after he passes me, he instantly turns around and speeds up right behind me and flashes his lights and pulls me over for going 74 in a 55 and says he got me on radar. Being the law rookie I am, I did not realize that he had to show me the reading on the radar gun and never asked to see it. I know for a fact I wasn't going 74 and am entirely confused as to how he came up with that fact. My dad is an ex-cop and he can't figure out how he could've taken an accurate reading of my speed (while moving in the opposite direction). I understand what would need to be done to have such a radar reading, but I searched and searched and I couldn't find a radar gun that could take an accurate reading while moving. He "gave me a break" by leaving the insurance/registration(everything was/is current) off and dropping it to 60. That's wonderful and all, but I can't afford to get a point. Am I crazy... or is there validity to challenging this?

- 2004 Oxford White Mach 1
- Mach 1 Fantasy Football Champ - 2005
ftctoolftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:20 AM   #647
Mustanger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftctoolftc View Post
Ok, I'm on Highway 4 in Northern California heading up to Bear Valley Ski Resort. Basically, it's a two-lane highway with a posted speed of 55. The CHP is going the opposite direction on the highway and right after he passes me, he instantly turns around and speeds up right behind me and flashes his lights and pulls me over for going 74 in a 55 and says he got me on radar. Being the law rookie I am, I did not realize that he had to show me the reading on the radar gun and never asked to see it. I know for a fact I wasn't going 74 and am entirely confused as to how he came up with that fact. My dad is an ex-cop and he can't figure out how he could've taken an accurate reading of my speed (while moving in the opposite direction). I understand what would need to be done to have such a radar reading, but I searched and searched and I couldn't find a radar gun that could take an accurate reading while moving. He "gave me a break" by leaving the insurance/registration(everything was/is current) off and dropping it to 60. That's wonderful and all, but I can't afford to get a point. Am I crazy... or is there validity to challenging this?

I have been told by several officers the radar CAN accurately measure your speed going in either direction...new stuff is pretty sophisticated nowadays...most everything has a computer chip...THe CHP seems to run with their radar on all the time now because of it.

Could he have overshot you & caught interference from someone else?
Old 04-26-2007, 03:54 AM   #648
Low Drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftctoolftc View Post

Moving radar that can take an accurate speed reading of an oncoming vehicle is nothing new. The guys I rode with when I did my internship about 10 years ago had it in their cars.

On another note, unless there is a specific law in California that gives you the right to see the reading on the radar unit, you didn't screw up. You may request to see it and the officer may or may not allow you to, but generally speaking you have no "right" to see it.
Low Drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:08 AM   #649
IMachU
Super Moderator

Remember guys, this isn't a "How To Get Out Of Tickets" thread....just and advice thread. That said....

You can ALWAYS challenge a cite. It is your right to do so. If you feel you were right, take it to court. In Calif, you can request to see the display of the radar unit. If the officer wants to avoid an arguement on the side of the road (which he/she WILL win), they will show you the display. Otherwise, the radar unit # and certification data should be written on the cite.

And trust me, I'm not judging you....but if you can't afford 1 point, your driving habits may need a little attention! Drive safe!!

Old 04-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #650
musicalmerlin

As for the point, not sure how CA law works. In NH, there are 3 options on the citation that you mail back in - not guilty (and you get to go to court to prove your case), guilty (you pay the fine and get the points), or no contest (You pay the fine, do not admit guilt). If you check off no contest, the cop can decide to contest and then you have to go into court and both sides present. The one time I got a ticket, I was polite, courteous, and checked the third option when I mailed it in with the check. You don't get points on your license if this works. If you go into court and are found guilty, then you get the points.

Does CA have a statute allowing you to get rid of a point a year or 4 years if you take a safe driving class and send the certification in? NH has that too. Have to ask yourself if it's less expensive to do that than going to court.

Wishing I had one or the other back...
musicalmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote