2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 11-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
Con's Mach1

Advance Auto Parts Brake Issue Question

Hi all. I changed out the Motorcraft Pads and Rotors on Connie's Mach1. I never used anything except OEM. But, I didn't want Semi Metallic Front Pads again. Got tired of the brake dust. So, I was looking at aftermarket parts for the first time. I went with Advance Auto, and bought the Wearever Rotors, and their 'Platinum Premium Ceramic Brake Pads'. Great price for everything. Only came to 210.00. Plus they give out a 25.00 gift card on top of that! The parts all seemed to be of good quality, and putting on the Rotors and Pads all around went fine, except on the left front. I went to put the caliper on the new left front rotor, and the pads wouldn't clear it. It would just BARELY go over at the top. I had no choice, I HAD to POUND it in place with a BIG Hammer! I said to myself, how stupid that is. But it just seemed so close to fitting on the rotor. I finally got it in place and put the Pin in. While I had the Mach still off the floor, I was even able to torque the wheel to 100 ft. lbs. I couldn't turn the wheel by hand to save my life. SOOO, I took it out for a SLOOW test drive. I could feel the left front DRAGGING of course. I pulled into the garage and BOY it was smoking as I expected. I let it cool, and took it out again driving SLOOWLY. This time it smoked less, but the rotor was still HOT. I took a chance and did the normal break in period, and by then it was coasting a LOT better in Neutral. Today, all seemed fine. No smoking, no dragging. It feels like it's normal now. Finally, to my question. What, if anything did it hurt? Has anyone else run into this issue? If so, what did you do in this situation? Did it work out for you? Thank you all, for those who read this long thread. Bob
Con's Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
VA-Mach1
Mach & Cheese

Re: Advance Auto Parts Brake Issue Question

Over heating the rotor can cause it to warp, and I have read that if everything gets to hot it can cause the wheel bearing to wear out faster. If it's not causing any problems that you know of, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure some would say to buy everything new again. If it works drive it. If it starts messing up fix it.
VA-Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
not a gt

PM sent, make sure they are fully seated in caliper, sometimes really hard to do by hand, I use a c clamp to make sure those pesky round clips are FULLY seated, and make sure pistons in caliper went in fully, wonder if maybe you need a caliper on that side, may be hanging.
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
Con's Mach1

Thank you for your responses. Also, I'll keep an eye out for the wheel bearing. Didn't think of harming that. But, I did drive 'er VERY SLOOOW, and let the front left cool. Then did it again. It didn't glow red, but it was hot. I did the break in on all four yesterday, never getting over 40 mph. By the time we got back, the Mach was coasting very easily in Neutral. We took it out this morning, and the brakes felt fantastic. Very quiet too. Hope this is a good sign?
Old 11-28-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
not a gt

Sounds good, you should be golden, might have just needed to work itself out,piston maybe stuck and needed your assistance lol, glad it worked out. For my GF Honda and my Fiesta Advance has a combo deal going- 2 rotors and a set of there best ceramic pad for $85 and $77 respectively.
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
Con's Mach1

Thanks a bunch, great to hear that the brakes may be fine. Advance does have great deals. You did help me make the choice to order from them. You seem to like the quality. I'll always get their best Pads though. The Premium Platinum Ceramics seem to be the way to go. I just realized we joined on the same month on the same year. Cool.