2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 04-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
noodle9400

Pads difficult to get onto caliper...

What are good methods as to get the pads to slide into the calipers? I've changed my brakes before but can't remember what I did to help with this issue. Any ideas? FYI: I got the pads and rotors from rotorpros.
noodle9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
frijol79

Re: Pads difficult to get onto caliper...

You will see two notches on the piston facing the back side of the brake pad you have to turn it. I don't remember which way. that should do it. Don't forget to open your master cylinder release.
frijol79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
noodle9400

Sorry, I forgot to mention a few details. I'm replacing the front rotors/pads. I purchased them from RotorPros. So far I've been working on just one wheel trying to get the pads on but have been unsuccessful getting both on. I got the (piston side) pad on all the way but the outer pad I cant seem to get fully inserted to eliminate the 1/8" gap thats left. I'm sure others have used the pads that RotorPros gives with the rotors. What suggestions does anyone have to get the pads on all the way....? I'm at a stand still with this and refuse to pay $100+ to get these installed when it shouldn't be this difficult.

The pads that came with it are Posi-Quiet Ceramic pads.

Last edited by noodle9400; 04-18-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Keith.red.mach1

I had the same problem with Wagner pads, supposed to be good quality. I went to the store and picked up the cheapest ones they sale and sure enough they went right on. When I compared the 2 sets, The Wagners had a little more metal material that kept it from fitting.
Magnapack catback with Spintechs
JLT RAI intake, Nitto Drag Radials
P&P Intake w/ 3/8 intake spacer
SCT tune by Don @ LaSota Racing
Steeda Triax ,Centerforce Clutch
Keith.red.mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

i think hes talking about the metal spring clips that hold the pad in the caliper. Ive had trouble with some of the hawk pads not wanting to fully seat, i think ive used both a C clamp and also pried against the pad using the handle of a ratchet to press one side in then the other

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Slow :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle9400 View Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention a few details. I'm replacing the front rotors/pads. I purchased them from RotorPros. So far I've been working on just one wheel trying to get the pads on but have been unsuccessful getting both on. I got the (piston side) pad on all the way but the outer pad I cant seem to get fully inserted to eliminate the 1/8" gap thats left. I'm sure others have used the pads that RotorPros gives with the rotors. What suggestions does anyone have to get the pads on all the way....? I'm at a stand still with this and refuse to pay $100+ to get these installed when it shouldn't be this difficult.

The pads that came with it are Posi-Quiet Ceramic pads.
Instructions:

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ad.php?t=72528

If you're talking about the round shaped retainer clips (claws) facing up in this pic:

I normally tap on them with a tool all the way around to bend them inwards slightly since they can be hard to slide into the two openings....and into the piston in the back of the caliper. You'll even see them make scraping marks on the piston as they go in. The OEM pbr pads have the silver shiny retainer clips that are much easier to put in, but apart from pbr, all aftermarket clips are a ***** to install.

Simple solution my friend.

006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
noodle9400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith.red.mach1 View Post
I had the same problem with Wagner pads, supposed to be good quality. I went to the store and picked up the cheapest ones they sale and sure enough they went right on. When I compared the 2 sets, The Wagners had a little more metal material that kept it from fitting.
I have heard the PosiQuiets may be a hair thicker than normal which usually requires a rubber mallet to get the caliper back on when pads are in. Haven't gotten there yet. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
i think hes talking about the metal spring clips that hold the pad in the caliper. Ive had trouble with some of the hawk pads not wanting to fully seat, i think ive used both a C clamp and also pried against the pad using the handle of a ratchet to press one side in then the other
I've used C clamp to compress the piston. Than another time I used the brake tool to compress the piston. I was able to get one side (piston side) on by applying the brakes, worked. But since I couldn't get the other pad on, I gave up for the night and had to put the old stuff back on. The claw clips are so tight in the piston, that when I pulled/banged the pad off, it literally pulled the piston out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 006 View Post
Instructions:

If you're talking about the round shaped retainer clips (claws) facing up in this pic:

I normally tap on them with a tool all the way around to bend them inwards slightly since they can be hard to slide into the two openings....and into the piston in the back of the caliper. You'll even see them make scraping marks on the piston as they go in. The OEM pbr pads have the silver shiny retainer clips that are much easier to put in, but apart from pbr, all aftermarket clips are a ***** to install.

Simple solution my friend.

I tried using pliers to squeeze those clips but didn't want to squeeze too much since they are an important piece to pads lol. I guess instead of starting the brake job mid day, I'm gonna have to start early morning that way I have time to really bang that out....or in I should say. Gonna need to invest in a rubber mallet and a 1/2" deep socket for the lugs. I was gonna rotate tires but I couldn't get the back lugs to break loose. Dealer put them on so tight I literally cracked my cross bar I usually use.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
Slow :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle9400 View Post
I have heard the PosiQuiets may be a hair thicker than normal which usually requires a rubber mallet to get the caliper back on when pads are in. Haven't gotten there yet. lol

I've used C clamp to compress the piston. Than another time I used the brake tool to compress the piston. I was able to get one side (piston side) on by applying the brakes, worked. But since I couldn't get the other pad on, I gave up for the night and had to put the old stuff back on. The claw clips are so tight in the piston, that when I pulled/banged the pad off, it literally pulled the piston out.

I tried using pliers to squeeze those clips but didn't want to squeeze too much since they are an important piece to pads lol. I guess instead of starting the brake job mid day, I'm gonna have to start early morning that way I have time to really bang that out....or in I should say. Gonna need to invest in a rubber mallet and a 1/2" deep socket for the lugs. I was gonna rotate tires but I couldn't get the back lugs to break loose. Dealer put them on so tight I literally cracked my cross bar I usually use.
Just go around each "finger" or claw and bend all 8 of them in all the way around...then do the other 8 on that same pad. They pad cannot come off due to the bracket holding them in and the pin at the rear locks them in place. Those rattle clips/claws keep the pads from rattliing around when you drive, so they don't have to be hulk-firm. Bend them in a little and they will slide right into the caliper.
006 is offline   Reply With Quote