2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Exhaust System

Exhaust System Exhaust Q & A

Old 03-21-2007, 10:18 AM   #1
Immortal LuD

ProChamber w/ SLP Loudmouth?

Hey guys!

When I bought my 2003 Mach 1, it came with the SLP catback, and it still has the original H-pipe with cats...

I was wondering, would adding a MAC ProChamber cause the exhaust to sound too loud and crappy? I don't like the way SLP handles backpressure, and I was going to replace this with a MAC catback anyway sometime soon, but was wondering if anybody would have any input on this setup.

Thanks for any help!
Immortal LuD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:34 AM   #2
Uloset
Fastest Mach 1 Somewhere

Re: ProChamber w/ SLP Loudmouth?

If you get a catted pipe it will not be bad at all one guy actually said it was a little bit quieter with a deeper tone with his catted prochamber. It sounds fine with an O/R pipe as well here is a clip from STREETFIRE http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6...0700e2c16e.htm

I have a problem every time I pull up to some ricer a strange buzzing noise comes from behind me, any clue what it could be?
Uloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
Dawg
Marking My Territory!!!

I have the SLP catback. When I had a catted H pipe, it sounded great and a lot like a 60's era muscle car. For performance reasons, I installed LT headers and an off-road H pipe with the SLP Loudmouth. I still like the sound but it is VERY loud considering its a straight through pipe from port to tip. Also with this set up, when running through the gears it sounds more like a Nextel cup car.

--------------------------------------
Tuned Dyno: HP & TQ

2005 Mach 1 / Bullitt Shootout Super Street Bracket Winner

2005 DFW-SVTOA Day at the Drags Bracket Winner

Performance Mod's by HPP Racing

R.I.P. 99whitecobra99
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
WOODY

It'll sound good w/ the o/r prochamber. I ran that setup for a while.
Kooks Long Tubes & matching o/r X
Borla Stinger
bowl-ported heads from Lidio @Alternative Auto
01 cobra intake cams
Pro5.0 4.10's
Superchip
K&N
Roy Spacer
17X9 Black Bullits w/ 275 BF's

Current:
2004 AB Mach 1 w/ IUP
O/R Prochamber, Flows, Aluminum D/S, Intake Spacer
WOODY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #5
03whtpny

i have that setup, looking to change out the slp, but it sounds good except for downshifting sounds like a jake brake then.
03whtpny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
Immortal LuD

Well maybe I'll just buy it then... A NASCAR eh? Well being in Daytona, I'm sure a bunch of rednecks will get all excited over that!

Thanks for the comments guys! I just wasn't sure if the gurgling would be multiplied, and sound worse with no cats.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
R.Shackleford
Road Racin' Mach 1

Here's my car with LM 1 and O/R prochamber

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/7...4b00128c51.htm

MGW Shifter : SCT : Pypes O/R X : Magnapack cat-back : K&N Filter : H&R SS Springs : Tokico D-specs : MM CC Plates : Anthracite Shelby Torq-Thrust M 17x9 -- Falken RT615 275/40
R.Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
wigsite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal LuD View Post
Well maybe I'll just buy it then... A NASCAR eh? Well being in Daytona, I'm sure a bunch of rednecks will get all excited over that!

Thanks for the comments guys! I just wasn't sure if the gurgling would be multiplied, and sound worse with no cats.
The gurgling will be multiplied. You are adding pipes that are even less restrictive, cats or no cats. Everyone has their own opinion as to what is too loud so it is hard to judge from that.
Dyno tuned by CRT Performance
Pro 5.0 Power Tower shifter
best 1/4 12.62 @ 108.05 mph
313 RWHP..330 TQ
wigsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #9
Immortal LuD

HOLY CRAP Shackleford!!! I guess I know what I'm in for now! Thanks a lot! I won the eBay auction for $200! I'm actually going to pick it up also! w00t w00t!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:03 PM   #10
Immortal LuD

Went and picked up the ProChamber a few minutes ago... Man, what a steal! I'm going to put it on tomorrow.

I don't have any MIL eliminators though. Does anybody know where to get these for cheap?

I'm looking on eBay, and seeing different kinds of eliminators... Everywhere from $8, to $60!

Any tips on this would help.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #11
Immortal LuD

Hey guys, I need help fast!

Do you have any tips on getting the nuts loose on the bolts that connect the h-pipe to the headers?

They're being VERY stubborn, and I think I may have stripped one of them a little... I'm using a 19/32 socket, and even tried a 15mm... I have been using some break loose PB spray on it to loosen them up, but they're not budging!

Ah, I'm so close I can hear it! Any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #12
Nekasrof
Hillclimb Extraodinaire

I was a lazy *** when it came to those bolts. I bought an MRT catted H and couldn't get 1 friggin bolt off the stock H to header bolt. So, I put the other 3 back on and sent the whole thing to the dealer. Yeah, lazy *** but successful. 1 of the bolts actually worked it's way off about 1000 miles later and they tightened it back up for me when it was back in for an oil change.

I think the bolt is actually a 15mm, right?? U-joint, extension, blah, blah, blah!

Motor + Procharger + driver = Baddest hillclimbing Mach 1 in the country
Mustang dyno: 538hp/481tq @ 14lbs/19deg timing
DynoJet comparison: 600hp/539tq

Looking for more hillclimbers!
Nekasrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #13
Immortal LuD

I got it off... And put the prochamber on... My god, talk about waking the living dead like in the other video...

I never would have imagined how loud this thing could me! I took a video with open headers, and that sounded bad ***!!!

Hopefully nobody will compalin, but I see this as a gas saver... I don't hit the gas anymore, because it's TOO LOUD!!!!

I'll get some in-car and out of car videos soon so you guys can check it ou!
Old 03-22-2007, 10:32 PM   #14
Immortal LuD

Hey one more question... My check engine light hasn't come on yet. Is this normal? I've put on about 20-30 miles already, and it still hasn't come on.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:55 AM   #15
R.Shackleford
Road Racin' Mach 1

If it's like the dodges, which I'm more familiar with, it can take up to 10+ drive cycles before it comes on.

Eliminators are an added expense, but that's just how it goes... You may be able to find used ones on these forums or other mustang forums too. You can accomplish the same with the tuners though, so that's something to remember if you plan on getting a tune soon.

MGW Shifter : SCT : Pypes O/R X : Magnapack cat-back : K&N Filter : H&R SS Springs : Tokico D-specs : MM CC Plates : Anthracite Shelby Torq-Thrust M 17x9 -- Falken RT615 275/40
Old 03-23-2007, 09:55 AM   #16
Immortal LuD

Roger... Since you went from the SLP to the MAC catback, what do you think the differences were?

I know I love MAC the best, because it always seems to sound the best, the deepest, no gurgling, and it's mostly inexpensive as well.

I noticed with the SLP around 2,000 RPM that it starts to sound raspy... Sounds great in the upper RPM range though!

What are your thoughts?
Old 03-24-2007, 02:13 AM   #17
R.Shackleford
Road Racin' Mach 1

Well, even though I took it off I did actually really like the SLP. I decided to change because mainly I realized I wanted the chambered sound, specifically the Mac. I kept hearing it on the terminators and it just sounded exactly like I wanted. (Though if it didn't cost so much, I would have probably went with bassani)

You're right the SLP has a crazy loud raspy sound around 2K, I actually kind of liked it though, because it was so loud it was just kind of fun stop light to stop light. Another reason I decided to change I thought it'd be a bit quieter, but actually it's really not that much quieter. Really the only time I'd say the SLP was noticably louder than the Mac is that 2K rpm part throttle point. But the Mac is really loud under part throttle also, just a different tone. At WOT they're pretty comparable IMO. The SLP is probably a bit louder but I mean, I think any exhaust with o/r mid pipe is just going to be extremely loud. It's just the tone that makes the difference.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:37 AM   #18
Gasisontheright

I just put an O/R prochamber on 2 weeks ago, it made a big difference from my previous SLP catted X, much better sound IMO, and louder, of course
Old 03-25-2007, 01:51 AM   #19
R.Shackleford
Road Racin' Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasisontheright View Post
I just put an O/R prochamber on 2 weeks ago, it made a big difference from my previous SLP catted X, much better sound IMO, and louder, of course
Do you still have your X?

Old 03-25-2007, 02:01 AM   #20
groundpounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Shackleford View Post
Here's my car with LM 1 and O/R prochamber
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/7...4b00128c51.htm
Unholy mother of mercy, Shack, that sounds 9 different kinds of RANK!!! pounder LIKES!!! OH. MY. GOODNESS.

One thing that I wish, and I'll probably end up making a thread if I can't search it: I wish our cars were more lopey on idle. I'm new to the modular thing, always been a pushrod man, so I know some things are different.

Now, I think a stock 5.0 with O/R H, X or chamber is going to purr just like a stock 4.6. blub blub blub blub blub blub blub blub

But I have a 306 with an E303 cam in it, O/R H, Flow 40's and dumps in front of the axle and the thing just HITS like nobody's business and MAN does it sound good on idle. POTATO POTATO POTATO POTATO

Now, I know the majority of that idle is cam profile, which is enhanced and amplified by the exhaust in place. I realize if I had that cam with a catted H, flows and tips out the back it would lope because with an E, there's no getting around it, but it wouln't be all up in your grill like it is now. You can hear this thing idle on a still day literally 1/2 mile away.

I want my Mach to CAM on idle and then sound JUST like yours driving away....
What cams does it take for a DOHC 4.6 to get all lopey and loud on idle?
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #21
1MEANSTANG

Immortal, glad you like your prochamber. By listening to this thread my car will sound sickily loud with my UPR O/R X pipe and Mac SS exhaust. I can't wait!!!! But glad you like it. Send some vids when you get it up and running. I like to hear it. Or I'll just come see it....
1MEANSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:46 PM   #22
Immortal LuD

Hell come on down! I washed the car today, and was crusin' for about three hours. What a blast! I saw another azure blue Mach 1, numerous Cobra's and other Mustang's and fox bodies... It's just crazy out here!

Hell just give me a call whenever!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:05 PM   #23
Immortal LuD

Hey Shackle, is your idle louder with the Mac than it was with the SLP? I've noticed that even 6 Bangers are louder than mine at idle.

Not a bad thing, I mean it screams when I accelerate, but I know the Mac catback should idle louder...
Old 03-28-2007, 11:53 PM   #24
R.Shackleford
Road Racin' Mach 1

Not much of a difference really... Neither are very loud at all at idle when the engine is warmed up.