2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 01-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
WhtMach1

Why install a tubular K member??

Question for those who have done or considered this mod.......

New issue of Muscle Mustangs has an article on installing MaximumMotorsports K Member, 36 lbs Vs 50 lbs stock. a 12 lb savings.

For drag purposes this seems a ton of money for very little wt saved.
Are there other drag racing related benefits I'm not seeing??
WhtMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #2
H-TownMachI

Re: Why install a tubular K member??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhtMach1

New issue of Muscle Mustangs has an article on installing MaximumMotorsports K Member, 36 lbs Vs 50 lbs stock. a 12 lb savings.

MM k-members are the heaviest/sturdiest made and most expensive. I guess if you need clearance for headers it would be a good mod.
H-TownMachI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
Phil
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhtMach1

Chrome moly tubular K members are about 14 lbs for drag racing.

Performance mods by Jeff Chambers, the owner/tuner of CRT Performance in Norwalk, Ohio
http://www.crt-performance.com/
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
TwinCam

only reason I see is for header clearance or for turbo plumbing. My brother put a MM K-member on his 99 GT with a turbo (428 RWHP with a stock engine, exc. for larger fuel injectors).

He didn't put his car in gear all the way one day and his car backed itself out of the driveway and the passenger front tire hit a 2 inch diameter tree in his yard. The accident bent the lower control arm. He had to replace it.

My bro's driveway is not steep and his car had to travel 20 feet into his grassy front yard to hit the tree (no damage to the tree). I would be concerned about the durability of the unit driving on the roads we have to drive on here in Dallas. Way too many big potholes and washboard asphalt roads.

JLT True Ram Air Intake Kit
Flowmaster Mufflers

DynoJet results: 246 HP / 258 FT-LBS SAE, BONE STOCK

currently own: fully restored (13 years in the making) '69 Camaro, 500 hp Procharged 350, Tremec TKO; Shown in Hot Rod Magazine 11/03 (page 50) visit my website at http://www.geocities.com/gheatly for pics.

previously owned: 1991 GT 5-sp hatchback, '91 GT 5-sp convertible

Hey, I can sit on the fence if I want to!
TwinCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:55 AM   #5
8616v

Having put headers a GT with a tubular K member i would say that its deffinately worth the money just in agravation saved.
Born: 03/26/2003 Bought: 09/07/2005
8616v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:16 AM   #6
98StangRidah
Where'd my zafu go?

I was told by a suspension friend of mine that going to a aftermarket K can create safety issues (reducing crash safety).

Exhaust
MRT H-Pipe with cats
Magnaflow catback

Suspension
Bilstein struts & shocks
Steeda sport springs
MM - caster/camber plates, steering rack bushings, swaybar bushings and endlinks
18x9 Bullits with Michlein PS2s in 255/40

Other stuff - MGW shifter, MRT hood struts and black exhaust tips, SCT tune, PHP spacer

98StangRidah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
daddy rob
TWISTED MARINE

With the tubed k-member you're reducing weight and a little flex.When installed the front end feels crisper also due to bushing change you will increase road noise on the inside of the car cuz there is less bulk of the factory k-member to soak up that shock and noise.As far as safety if your a street racer and your pushing 400 + hp down the back roads your obviously not thinking safety are you . If your not and just like a some what fast car to play in then yeah i can see how this would alter front end safety geometry in a collision .
  • catless pro chamber,loudmouth catback,frpp alum flywheel,frpp king cobra clutch,frpp alum d/s,mgw short throw,frpp 31 spline tracloc,frpp 3.73 gears,strange 31 spline axles,sloted cross drilled rotors,hawk brake pads,mm tube k member,a arms, adj lca,panhard bar,strut tower brace,frame conectors,tq arm and c/c plates,bilstein struts/hyper coilover front,bilstein hr springs rear,motoblue hp series fuelrails,bullit rims,nitto drag rears,fram air hog filter,all royal purple oils
daddy rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:01 PM   #8
Silverstangs

The K-member is worth it, and I would reccomend it. I perfer the MM version because it is beefier than everyone else, so it's better for autocross. There are other versions, which are lighter in weight. Those other versions I would use in a V6 or a drag car. Becareful of where you get yours from. I have seen a couple which didn't line up correctly with the stock bolt locations...
Old 01-12-2006, 01:20 AM   #9
daddy rob
TWISTED MARINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstangs
Becareful of where you get yours from. I have seen a couple which didn't line up correctly with the stock bolt locations...
this is correct some of the back door here today gone tomarrow shops are kicking these out and in the suspension you dont wanna skimp.
  • catless pro chamber,loudmouth catback,frpp alum flywheel,frpp king cobra clutch,frpp alum d/s,mgw short throw,frpp 31 spline tracloc,frpp 3.73 gears,strange 31 spline axles,sloted cross drilled rotors,hawk brake pads,mm tube k member,a arms, adj lca,panhard bar,strut tower brace,frame conectors,tq arm and c/c plates,bilstein struts/hyper coilover front,bilstein hr springs rear,motoblue hp series fuelrails,bullit rims,nitto drag rears,fram air hog filter,all royal purple oils
daddy rob is offline   Reply With Quote