2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:32 PM   #476
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

Re: NASCAR thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylopony View Post
Bash Gordon all you want. That's what's fun about being a fan of any sport. It's fun to root for your team or driver and bash the ones you hate.

But when you make opinion fact, have your facts straight first. He was not crying. Gordon spoke up and the drivers agreed with what Gordon had to say.

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/head...ega/index.html

http://www.adelphia.net/sports/read....=auto%20racing
I've seen enough races to know when Gordon is up front that he does whatever he can to win. Bumping, wrecking, blocking, whatever. And when the favor is returned, he is WAAHHHHHHHHHING all over the place in his interviews. Oh, and I hated Earnhardt Sr. . He pulled that crap all the time too. The story says their alot alike. Yeah, that's a fact.

"She's An Underage Angel With A Dented Halo"-She Needs Rock n Roll---Motley Crue

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #477
G
Undocumented Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
I've seen enough races to know when Gordon is up front that he does whatever he can to win. Bumping, wrecking, blocking, whatever. And when the favor is returned, he is WAAHHHHHHHHHING all over the place in his interviews. Oh, and I hated Earnhardt Sr. . He pulled that crap all the time too. The story says their alot alike. Yeah, that's a fact.
The story is wrong.

My dad was a modified racer in the late 50's thru the 60's. Dale Sr was a few years older than me and I remember him from those early days (we were both kids hanging at the track). Comparing Jeff Gordon to Dale is like Andy **** vs Chuck "freaking" Norris.

Sorry to let you in on this but racers back then would not put up with some of the stuff we see today. Example Jeffy pushing Kenseth post race for the camera, do that to even a modern era modified racer and you will need more teeth. Kurt B. learned that messing with Jimmy Spencer.

Don't make me throw a Bud can at ya.
1933 Ford 3W Coupe (4.6 dohc Stack Injection)
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
2014 Mustang GT (Track Pack) in Black
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:54 PM   #478
G
Undocumented Member

Quote:
Bash Gordon all you want. That's what's fun about being a fan of any sport. It's fun to root for your team or driver and bash the ones you hate.

But when you make opinion fact, have your facts straight first. He was not crying. Gordon spoke up and the drivers agreed with what Gordon had to say.

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/head...ega/index.html

http://www.adelphia.net/sports/read....=auto%20racing

The comments about Gordon's voice replacing Big E is silly. Mark Martin and Jeff Burton are the only guys that come close to taking up the role Dale played. The friendship between Dale and Rusty was real and always made me laugh. Dale never found a replacement for Neil Bonnett who was probably the most talented driver I ever saw and clearly his friend for life.

I'll take a Joe Weatherly or Glenn Roberts over Gordon, it won't matter how many wins on his resume. I just don't like his character. Sorry.
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
Old 05-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #479
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffav View Post
it won't matter how many wins on his resume. I just don't like his character. Sorry.

"She's An Underage Angel With A Dented Halo"-She Needs Rock n Roll---Motley Crue

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:57 AM   #480
machths
Mach 1 Member

Quote:
Comparing Jeff Gordon to Dale is like Andy **** vs Chuck "freaking" Norris.
I never liked Dale Earnhardt either, but man, comparing him to Andy ****...that's just wrong. Have a little respect for the dead.

Quote:
Sorry to let you in on this but racers back then would not put up with some of the stuff we see today. Example Jeffy pushing Kenseth post race for the camera, do that to even a modern era modified racer and you will need more teeth. Kurt B. learned that messing with Jimmy Spencer.
Well, seeing that he shoved Kenseth, which isn't exactly the epitome of a man...it's understandable that "got away with one." You can see that there wasn't a lot of risk there on Gordon's part.

1996 Laser Red Cobra
machths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:02 AM   #481
machths
Mach 1 Member

Quote:
The comments about Gordon's voice replacing Big E is silly. Mark Martin and Jeff Burton are the only guys that come close to taking up the role Dale played.
Actually Gordon has been one of the strongest proponents of safety in NASCAR since the '90's. Unfortunately, Jeff Burton seems to be the only one labeled as the safety advocate for NASCAR.

1996 Laser Red Cobra
machths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #482
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

Well, another week and another pole for Grodon. And lookie! Not only no Mikey in the race, but our 'buddy' Dale J. has managed to use up all of his provisionals and so...he's not in, either!

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:52 PM   #483
birdman941
Torque wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongtho3 View Post
Well, another week and another pole for Grodon. And lookie! Not only no Mikey in the race, but our 'buddy' Dale J. has managed to use up all of his provisionals and so...he's not in, either!
Bwaaaa Haaaa Haaaaa.......................
Traitors!
Quote:
Originally Posted by machths View Post
Actually Gordon has been one of the strongest proponents of safety in NASCAR since the '90's. Unfortunately, Jeff Burton seems to be the only one labeled as the safety advocate for NASCAR.
But Jeff Burton speaks with intelligence, is not a whiner,
and probably doesn't cheat on his wife.
Integrity.

5.4 32V NA
Streetable 404/387 26.56 MPG

"I don't like repeat offenders,
I like DEAD offenders" Ted Nugent

"A big engine hardly working is more efficient
than a little engine screaming its head off" Jay Leno
birdman941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:53 PM   #484
Blackpony04
Free Thanks to the Brave!

Quote:
YAY! Too bad Reutimann is doing well in comparison or there'd be ZERO Toyotas running the race....

Recovering Mach Addict
Blackpony04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:15 AM   #485
02mach1
Cofounder in Memoriam 1967-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpony04 View Post
YAY! Too bad Reutimann is doing well in comparison or there'd be ZERO Toyotas running the race....
Just like in good old days

I feeling 24# end up in the wall by our good old friend Tony #20
VIN#1FAFP42R83F366627
production 12/2/02-
Build 12/6/02
Delivered home 12/16/02

Founder of Intl.SN95LMMOCR for all 79-05 Mustangs 1st Late Model Mustang Club since 1993
C/O Founder of Mach1 Registry
AIM Shows
MCA #29082,MCA Judge for 79-04 Mustangs
www.mustang.org
MACH1REGISTRY Member#2

Here's pics of my Mach1
http://mach1registry.org/photopost/d...mach2.JPG?6804
02mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:30 AM   #486
G
Undocumented Member

Quote:
I never liked Dale Earnhardt either, but man, comparing him to Andy ****...that's just wrong. Have a little respect for the dead.
In that comparison, Dale Sr was obviously Chuck "freaking" Norris and Jeffy would be the Andy D!ck.

Quote:
Well, seeing that he shoved Kenseth, which isn't exactly the epitome of a man...it's understandable that "got away with one." You can see that there wasn't a lot of risk there on Gordon's part.

That was my point, he would never push me a second time. If Matt would have slugged him they would have probably banned all of Jack's teams. NASCAR can get tough on the CITH's boys.
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
Old 05-05-2007, 12:36 AM   #487
G
Undocumented Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02mach1 View Post
Just like in good old days

Oh no, not that. I'm not sure it won't be the 48 that gets him.
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
Old 05-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #488
ylopony

Tony is going to get tangled up with a Toyota in this race. Why a Toyota? Because he's going to be in the back of the field where they are.

Now as a Gordon fan, I do have to agree the push with Kenseth was a real embarrassment. At least take of the helmet when you do that. It was a coward thing to do.

As for Jeff's moral issues and prior divorce, that's not my concern. I'm sure there are many others out there on the track with issues that would shock us all if brought out in the open. That's life in general. I'm sure that if everyone's lives on M1R were revealed many of us would be shocked.

Jeff's streak ends today. However it's Jimmie for the win. Denny Hamlin, Mark Martin, Jeff Gordon, and Kenseth rounding out the top 5.
ylopony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:53 AM   #489
G
Undocumented Member

Quote:
Tony is going to get tangled up with a Toyota in this race. Why a Toyota? Because he's going to be in the back of the field where they are.

Now as a Gordon fan, I do have to agree the push with Kenseth was a real embarrassment. At least take of the helmet when you do that. It was a coward thing to do.

As for Jeff's moral issues and prior divorce, that's not my concern. I'm sure there are many others out there on the track with issues that would shock us all if brought out in the open. That's life in general. I'm sure that if everyone's lives on M1R were revealed many of us would be shocked.
Jeff's streak ends today. However it's Jimmie for the win. Denny Hamlin, Mark Martin, Jeff Gordon, and Kenseth rounding out the top 5.
I agree with most of that. My life would bore the heil out of everyone but I know what you mean. I'm hoping for a Burton win today. Martin or Rudd would be fine too.
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
Old 05-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #490
klondike93
1992-2007 RIP Klondike

Watching the practice yesterday they had Dale Joke as the second fastest and he didn't qualify?

Quote:
Well, I guy can hope eh?
11/18/2002
1985 Coupe, race car
klondike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #491
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

Well, that was about enough to make me want to hand in my NASCAR watchers guide. A Toyota came in ahead of the highest finishing Ford. JJ wins again, and Hendricks fills the top three spots. I'd say something like 'this is rigged' or Hendricks is being given a cheat, but then I'd be given whatever they gave Stewart to make him tow the party line for NASCAR. This might be IT for me...

11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
Old 05-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #492
03mach69mach
Ford Guy

welcome to the growing number of former nascar fans
1988 White LX 5.0 Convertible SOLD
2000 White Taurus SE 3.0 SOLD
2001 BMW 330i SOLD
2002 Harley F150 5.4 Supercharged
2003 Azure Blue Mach 1 4.6 DOHC
2003 Lincoln Town Car 4.6 SOHC
2011 Infiniti G37xS 3.7 DOHC
03mach69mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #493
G
Undocumented Member

Keep in mind this is cup racing, not the grassroots NASCAR racers. I've been a real fan since the mid 60's and my Dad was a modified racer from the earliest days. If you know your NASCAR history --- not much has changed. There has always been someone appearing to get an unfair advantage and there has always been a Jack Roush type.

No need to jump ship, it's the best racing in the world.
2003 Cobra TR (sold)
Old 05-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #494
birdman941
Torque wins!

The cars look gay now.

5.4 32V NA

Old 05-06-2007, 09:28 PM   #495
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

Quote:
Keep in mind this is cup racing, not the grassroots NASCAR racers. I've been a real fan since the mid 60's and my Dad was a modified racer from the earliest days. If you know your NASCAR history --- .
No question I know my NASCAR history, and it's the recent history that has me worried. Ther have been many articles in major automotive publications recently focusing on the decline of NASCAR. For a while I would read them with skepticism, because I didn't want to believe what I was reading. Now I realize that they're not only right on target, but that the Toyota move is/was one of the few growth moves NASCAR could make and we all know how well that one's going over. Until they find a way to make more weekends in a year to have more races or expand to a multi race weekend, I think it's not only hit the proverbial wall, but their showcasing of those premier teams who look good on the magazine covers and merchandise get all the 'breaks'. Imagine that, Tony Stewart...

11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
Old 05-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #496
ylopony

Quote:
I think it's not only hit the proverbial wall, but their showcasing of those premier teams who look good on the magazine covers and merchandise get all the 'breaks'. Imagine that, Tony Stewart...

The top teams will always be dominate in Nascar. It's the same in any major racing venue, not just Nascar. The big teams with the multi drivers and the huge sponsorships have the resources to hire the best drivers, the best crews, the best mechanics, and etc etc etc. This translates to wins on the track. Hendricks dominating right now is nothing different than Jack Roush and his team a couple of years ago with all of his team in the top 10.

I don't think for a minute that the races are rigged or staged or planned or whatever. There is no smoking gun in the grassy knoll here. The Hendricks team has some great drivers. Johnson and Gordon have proven to be amoung the best. Kyle Busch has a lot of talent. In short they have great drivers and some of the best crews in the business.

The way I see it, Junior Johnson changed the sport to the way it is today. Prior to Johnson and his dominate cars in the 70's most of the cars were self owned. Jr. came in and dominated in the 70's with his top drivers and big sponsors. Dominate teams come and go. Hendricks won it in 95,96,97,98,01,06. Childress in 90,91,93,94. Joe Gibbs 2000,2002,2005. And Roush 2003,2004.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:21 PM   #497
birdman941
Torque wins!

Brian France drives a Lexus
RIP ASSCAR

5.4 32V NA

Old 05-07-2007, 08:15 AM   #498
04VAMach1

Quote:
I don't think for a minute that the races are rigged or staged or planned or whatever.
I don't think that the races are staged, but rules have been inconsistently enforced for decades and the ones that are enforced are changed to the benefit of the most influential people. The "good ole boy" system is still in effect, unfortunately too many other things have changed for my taste which is why I gave up all of my season tickets.
04VAMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #499
03mach69mach
Ford Guy

When Nascar hands out restrictor plates & shocks to teams for cars they can affect a race. I have always felt like they (Nascar) through plates, shocks & tires, can affect (not stage) a race so that those teams with large sponsorship $$ on the line can have a shot at the win. Let's face it, there are only 6-8 cars, week in & out, that have a legitimate shot to win the race. The rest are running for a top 15 place. Look at the companies in the top 10

Dupont-(One of the worlds largest chemical companies)
Lowes- ( 1385 Stores in 49 states & Mexico)
Dewalt-(World wide brand of construction tools)
FedEX- (32.293 billion in revenue & one of the largest delivery carriers in the world)
AT&T/Cingular (Huge telecommunications company)
Kelloggs-(100 year old food manufacture...you probably ate one of the products today)
Home Depot- (2147 Stores 90 billion in sales)
Shell Oil
Miller Brewing
DirecTV

The above is your current top 10.

Big $$ and that is what Nascar is about.
1988 White LX 5.0 Convertible SOLD
2000 White Taurus SE 3.0 SOLD
2001 BMW 330i SOLD
2002 Harley F150 5.4 Supercharged
2003 Azure Blue Mach 1 4.6 DOHC
2003 Lincoln Town Car 4.6 SOHC
2011 Infiniti G37xS 3.7 DOHC
03mach69mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #500
ylopony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03mach69mach View Post
When Nascar hands out restrictor plates & shocks to teams for cars they can affect a race. I have always felt like they (Nascar) through plates, shocks & tires, can affect (not stage) a race so that those teams with large sponsorship $$ on the line can have a shot at the win. Let's face it, there are only 6-8 cars, week in & out, that have a legitimate shot to win the race. The rest are running for a top 15 place. Look at the companies in the top 10

Dupont-(One of the worlds largest chemical companies)
Lowes- ( 1385 Stores in 49 states & Mexico)
Dewalt-(World wide brand of construction tools)
FedEX- (32.293 billion in revenue & one of the largest delivery carriers in the world)
AT&T/Cingular (Huge telecommunications company)
Kelloggs-(100 year old food manufacture...you probably ate one of the products today)
Home Depot- (2147 Stores 90 billion in sales)
Shell Oil
Miller Brewing
DirecTV

The above is your current top 10.

Big $$ and that is what Nascar is about.
You are correct, it's about big $$$. However your theory about the top 10 is not accurate. There are HUGE companies not in the top 10 and many near the bottom. Here's a few that are on some of the cars.

Reutimann - Domino's Pizza 5.1 Billion in annual sales
Ragan - American Automobile Association
Earnhardt JR.- Budweiser (Anheiser Busch)
Riggs- Valvoline 1.3 Billion annual sales
Yeley- Interstate Batteries 13 Million batteries a year.
Gilliland - M & M's(Mars Corp.) 18 billion annual sales
Sorrenson - Target Stores - 23 billion annual US sales alone
Montoya - Texaco/ Havoline
Jarrett- United Parcel Service (Still the largest in the world)
Green - Best Buy
Rudd- Snickers(Mars corp.) 18 billion annual sales
Raines - DLP(Texas Instruments)

There are some heavy hitters above that have not been able to translate that to wins. From top to bottom it takes money and a lot of it.